Traverse City, MI
Hickory Hills Share

Just awesome.

2-4    7/6/2013   7/23/2013
Review By: IamHOLLYWOOD
Pros: Good mixture of easy and difficult shots. Good elevation changes, clean, easy to navigate. Tee pads were in good shape, and course is unbelievably beautiful.
Cons: None that i can think of.
Other Thoughts: VERY LONG if you're playing the full 24. Take lots of water and comfortable shoes.

hometown favorite

5+    9/30/2011   2/19/2012
Review By: GatorGolfer
Pros: Beautiful landscape and major elevation make this course my personal favorite. Variety of different shots are required to navigate through the woods and hills. Challenging, yet good players should score well below par. Very fun course to play (i.e. hole 19)
Cons: Tough for me to even give a "con" for this course. Crowds are sometimes a problem in the primetime summer months. Hilly terrain makes this course a workout if all 24 holes are played.
Other Thoughts: Grew up playing this course, I'm fortunate enough to live a few minutes away. Right in TC, Hickory is a must play for any disc golfer living in or visiting the area!

A+-Mazing

5+    5/9/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: theEagletrout
Pros: Ok so this course is just flat out fun, the great layout, the changing elevations, the amazing scenery. It is perfect.
Cons: nothing, it does get as little busy at times during the summer, but not worth complaining about.
Other Thoughts: worth going to if you live in Michigan. And it is FREEEEEEEEE!

Very fun course!

5+    6/26/2011   6/27/2011
Review By: rsr2
Pros: The wide variety of the holes of the course made it an amazing experience. From going on straight fairways at the start, to a nice bomb down Hole #19 to the end made it this a really great experience for anyone to try.

The signage for each whole were great. I was able to find where to go after each hole and to find where the tee is when it was out of sight made it great.

Also with the great views of the scenery, my friend and I took several pictures of how amazing some of the views were. Even the dock on hole 19 was pretty awesome. I wish it was little more to the right but it still was really nice.

Trash cans and cigarette butt containers at almost every hole make the course really clean. I did find a couple bottles out in the middle of the woods which was out of the sight from the actual course. There also benches at a majority of the holes so taking a break is always good.

A pro for me was the locals help. I am fairly new to the disc golfing scene and I started playing a lot since April. The Locals were pointing out different tricks and telling stories of each hole. Like at hole 5 you would be exhausted if it was your first time and that you will feel way better when it's all over and also how hole #9 is known as "the hot hole" because it is the most open and it's usually really hot. The people I talked to were all really nice and they were very helpful.
Cons: There were a lot of people on the course. When we first arrived, there was 2 groups of 3 in front of us and when my friend and I threw our first disc, there was 3 groups behind us so it's really busy. I usually don't find this to be a problem but you always have to keep going. We were there for almost 3 hours but it was all worth it in the end.

I'm not sure if this was the right path or not but from hole #17-#18 was a really steep incline up the hill. It was the only thing I saw at the time but I noticed it was really tough going up that hill.
Other Thoughts: When I played this course last week, it was the most fun I ever had discing. I am very happy I live 20 minutes away from the course and I have been playing all 24 holes everyday. It was very tiring but it was all worth it. My friend and I took a lot of pictures throughout the day and it made for one memorable experience. If you ever get the chance to come to T.C, you have to go to this course. It was really fun and I look forward to seeing you there!

What A Course!

5+    6/19/2011   6/19/2011
Review By: Tossdiscraft
Pros: Pros would consist of Varying Terrain through the ski hill of hickory with plenty of wooded area as well as fielded. The course opens up with 7 holes winding through the forest with altitude differences starting on hole 5. A few open field holes follow with another winding through the woods after to then be finally be greeted with 3 downhill holes to the last flat three along the entrance road.
Cons: It can get a bit dusty on the open holes but that would only be if there was no rain for about 1 week.
Other Thoughts: A great all-around-course that fits both beginners and experienced players alike. Par is 80 but most experienced players play everything as 3 so par becomes 72. Hope this Review Helped!

Prepare to climb!

1    6/11/2011   6/13/2011
Review By: Gyro
Pros: Good signs
Good Tee pads
Lots of technical shots and elevation shots
Cons: No water shots
Last 2 holes along the road I didn't really care for.
Other Thoughts: The view from #19 is stunning. Amazing course!
I went on a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't very busy at all. Not near as bad as people were complaining about.

Wish I lived here.

1    6/14/2009   3/14/2011
Review By: B1eedB1ue
Pros: Absolutely beautiful to walk through, Superb fairways, great variation, couldn't be better in my book.
Cons: I can't think of any, but I've only played once.
Other Thoughts: I wish I lived in Traverse City just for this course, I will be playing every visit I make, Bring water, there's some climbing to be done.

Elevation!

1    5/23/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: Jax11
This review was updated on 5/26/2010
Pros: - Unbelievable elevation shots (Up and down)
- Majestic ambiance and beautiful scenery
- Great hole variety (short, long, technical, open and tight fairways)
- The elevation creates high risk/reward by punishing errant throws.
- Tee signs with distance and par listed
- Concrete tee pads on most holes
- Baskets are in solid conditions.
- #19 and #20 are awesome holes that are very memorable.
- Enough garbage cans to keep the course clean and tidy.

Cons: - Few holes have rubber tee pads that are slick in combination with Northern Michigan sand.
- Minor navigation issue between 17 and 18.
- No bathroom or water supply on site.
- Had quite a few tent caterpillars, but not enough to take away from the greatness of the course.
Other Thoughts: Hickory Hills was a brilliant course. It evokes feelings of adventure by trucking through this seemingly abandoned ski resort. Many of the holes play around and through old ski runs making for some really cool elevation shots. Though there were a few cons about this course, the pros and the ambiance made this course a 5/5 for me. Its hard to describe the magic of this course in words. I strongly recommend it to anyone who is willing to make the trip.

Special Course

5+    4/19/2010   4/19/2010
Review By: Gary Wittig
Pros: This course is beautiful. It is well designed to the contours of the terrain. I have played this course 200ish times and It is a challenge every time. There is a complete variety of holes, up, down, left, right, long, short. Amazing views! Well maintained. I agree that there are lots of Risk/Reward holes.
Cons: Tiring for the weak. Frustrating slopes that discs might roll down. Punks trash the place.
Other Thoughts: Personal favorite. Could use water station. Tilley's is right down the road.

Hickory Hills #1

5+    8/25/2009   8/26/2009
Review By: SQUIRES
Pros: Hickory has every shot imaginable. Is a great hike. Gorgeous views especially in the fall. Sick elevation changes. Excellent course layout. Excellently managed.
Cons: One individual gave a bad review on this great course cause it's too hard. Boo hoo.