Keene, NH
Otter Brook DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #1 (Taken 9/2013)
Hole #1 "A" Tee

everything but the otters

1    8/10/2015   8/12/2015
Review By: Spectralmonkey
Pros: just about the most jam packed fun You can fit on a course!
-just about every hole is risk-rewardalicious
tight lines you can bomb but fair density on the "fairways" to allow lines to the basket. now. if you get off the course, it can be deadly.
-I saw more rolling discs here than in Napa or delaveaga ! every hole has elevation and challenge and
-huge birdie opportunities. and will test your gumption. lots of strokes to be found outside the "fairways", and some extreme foresty terrain. like squamanagonic style, only a more rocky and rolly
-if not for a couple holes where I made bad putts I could have scored under par, and could imagine for the locals who learn all the crazy Jedi tracks thru the trees, it could be a great course to play often. for the first timer it's best to come prepared with water and trash bags ;)
-obvious trails and signs and b tees too!
-there were benches but I was having so much fun I don't remember sitting down.
-nice mix of impossible puzzle holes and ace runs !
-it's free !

- reminded me at times of the mighty Stub Stewart
Cons: no trashcans.
the back 9 tees are ruff.be careful. my rating is implying they are going to be like the others. it's a good enough course with innovative and tricky fun holes that I can just assume the tees will be installed eventually
a map would be nice. if not just for a memento.

18 Hole Otter Brook Course A New Hampshire Treasure!

1    8/5/2015   8/6/2015
Pros: Otter Brook DGC is located in the state park with the same name. However, this course is being built and developed by the Keene Disc Golf Club and one can readily see that they are doing things first class.

The property that the course occupies is on your right as you enter the park. You might say it's the quintessential piece of New Hampshire forrest, rugged, extreme elevation changes and unparalleled beauty. The park service has allowed them much freedom in trimming and cutting as needed.

There is a park service sign as you near the first tee warning you of park hours and the time you need to be out of the park, It was 6 pm the day I played.

The tee boxes on the front 9 are especially great. They are rubber matted, absolutely flat with a wooden border. The same mats are coming for the back nine. Brooms are available on each hole, I believe? The signs are metal with all the info that's needed, hole #, par, distance and best route to the basket. The baskets are new Discatchers with the yellow band and a prominent number facing you. I'm guess I'm free of Vermont and their cheap temporary Discatcher Sport models! (Sorry-Inside joke inserted here!)

There is a second set of tees on the front nine (called the B's). They have natural tees, but the designers are working hard to see that they give players a totally different look at the basket, not just a shorter distance.

You will hit some some wood here! Make no mistake, this is a technical course. But, threading the needle 375' away is no easy task. There are always fair routes to the baskets, just sometimes it appeared that there were more trees growing up beyond the fair routes.

You are quickly greeted by two delicious downhill throws on 2 & 3'. # 2 is just 225' but the basket is heavily guarded. # 3 is 395' and once again, there is a opening but you better be extremely accurate or very lucky or both. And # 9 might be the signature hole on the whole course. 450' uphill. You need to place your first shot through the trees in order to land on the first plateau in order to have a look at the basket still high above you and up a very steep second hill, of course with the mandatory trees providing protection.

Cons: My cons probably aren't cons as much as tasks that just haven't been completed yet.

The back nine still has natural pads. They're small and rough in places.

I didn't get the "Wow" factor playing the second nine. I felt it was more pedistrian like. Maybe, I was just worn out, dog tired, after a long day of disc golfing.

Other Thoughts: I'll definitely reserve the right to raise my rating on Otter Brook when the back nine is completed. This course is being done right and when finished will probably rank as one of the finer courses in New England. I'm hardly an expert on New England disc golf courses having only played a small sampling thus far. But I feel fairly confident that with the passion and fire that this group has for disc golf and having this lovely piece of property, the course, once finished, will be a source of pride for all who play Otter Brook or who were involved in the process.

Great road trip stop

1    5/21/2015   5/21/2015
Review By: gabereif
This review was updated on 7/8/2015
Pros: I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS COURSE IS NOW 18 HOLES. THE REVIEW BELOW WAS FOR THE 9 HOLE COURSE.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this course! Pros include:
-Close to Keene and directly off the highway (Rt. 9)
-Easy to find without a map
-Easy to navigate
-Great signs
-Two tees per hole
-Beautiful wooded setting. The underbrush has no poison ivy or thorns, just lots of nice-smelling pine needles. There are some creeks and a couple of muddy spots, but there are nice footbridges to cross them. The secluded, natural feel of the course is special.
-Incredibly sexy tee pads. With brooms for sweeping.
-Great use of topography! Some huge uphill and downhill shots, while others use more subtle topography to make things interesting.
-Clearly cared for by the local DG community
-Shots that bend left and right
-Very wooded, but clear fairways
-Nice baskets
-Challenging yet fair
-You can play a round here quickly. Although you'll want to play 2 rounds... or more
-Fair pars
Cons: -Only 9 holes.
-I wish there were a few less trees on some holes. Slightly wider fairways would be nice, but I'm being picky.
Other Thoughts: This is a great 9 hole course. I'm so happy I stopped by on my way to Concord and will be sure to do so every time I'm in the area. I met Rob, the designer, and he assured me that the back 9 are being installed. Very exciting. Once these go in, the course might earn a 4-disc rating. (For now, it's a 3.25, but I decided to give it 3.5 discs because Rob was super nice). I wish this was my local course!

Road Trip

1    11/25/2014   11/27/2014
Review By: AwanaTrek
Pros: The tee boxes are very nice
Nice layout - good use of the natural features
Long and Short Pads offer a good variety
Cons: Only 9 holes
Too far from my house for regular play
Other Thoughts: Keene DGC has done a fine job. Lots of potential and will need to get back after the other 9 pins are in the ground.
I am always a fan of alternate pin locations for erosion control and more variety.

Great Wooded Layout

5+    9/15/2014   9/16/2014
Review By: ItsLake
This review was updated on 7/3/2015
Pros: -Tee Pads. The front 9 A-Tee teepads are installed. These are some of the better teepads in the area.
-Baskets. Great Innova baskets.
-Layout. Each hole is unique. A variety of shots is required to complete all 18 holes
-Free.
-Improvements made weekly. We have a dedicated group that is cleaning, cutting, and making progress every week.
Cons: - Work is still being done to clear out stumps, branches, and brush piles. The parts that have been cleared out look gorgeous, though.
A little on the short side, but the tight lines make it very challenging.
-Signage for the back 9 will hopefully be up soon, but there are at least flags and logs pointing you where to go.
Other Thoughts: Otter Brook is a highly wooded and technical course. Distance drives only come out on a couple shots as you wind through the trees. Course already looks great and will only get better as more effort is put into making this place a top-notch place to go.
**Update**
As of mid-June
All 18 baskets are in! The back 9 has a very different feel from the front. Although it uses the elevation well, it is not nearly as hilly as the front nine, meaning nothing quite like holes 1, 3, and 7...

FULL 18 IS IN!

5+    7/18/2014   7/19/2014
Review By: KLydon
This review was updated on 7/30/2015
Pros: +Great hole layouts
+Good mix of uphill and downhill, forehand/backhand
+Maturing quickly
+New tee boxes are fantastic
+Technical and challenging!
+LEAGUE NIGHT
+Holes are well spaced, you don't need to worry about hitting people on other holes
Cons: -Brush piles exist in sometimes inconvenient locations (But many have been removed recently as 7/28/15)
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and it is amazing. The pictures really don't do it justice. The full 18 is in and it is playing great! Once we get the back 9 pads in, this will be one of the must-play locations in New England. We have a small but rapidly growing club that is a great group of people to play with. Otter Brook is 18 holes! Come play it!

Lovely course in woods

1    12/27/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: Chezziebr
Pros: Trees, terrain, rather difficult. After 9 holes I was tired.
Cons: Its steep in some areas, and we played in the snow, so if you are not sure-footed you might want to wait until spring. Otherwise we loved it.
Other Thoughts: The course is rather challenging for how short it is. Loved the technical tree holes, the elevation gain/loss for each hole, and the overall lovely-ness of the area.

This Course will be a Gem

5+    9/26/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: breck66
Pros: Two tee pads for each hole, gorgeous setting, dramatic elevation change, plenty of risk VS reward shots. Almost daily improvements are being made. Local league is drawing new players to the sport
Cons: Tee Pads are natural but will be upgraded next spring, gets soggy in spots after heavy rain,
Other Thoughts: As the co-designer and head worker for the course I am obviously biased, that being said, I have played for a long time and know what constitutes a solid design and decent layout. Otter Brook Park will challenge you, require every shot in your arsenal. She will provide you with moments of joy, followed by agony that will only leave you wanting to come back again and try to master her. Back 9 is flagged and marked but work will not begin until I have a solid crew of workers supporting me. If you are in the area come check it out, and hit me up for a guided tour, I live 3 miles away and am usually on the course Sat-Sun

New 9 Hole in Keene NH

5+    9/22/2013   9/24/2013
Review By: rcj333
This review was updated on 4/19/2014
Pros: This is a new course in town and thusly "my" course. Also I am a beginner disc player. Otter Brook is nicely laid out and I think has a nice variety of holes. Despite the fact there are a ton of trees, I feel like this is a pretty forgiving course. When I mess up, I still feel like there is a shot to be made to get to the basket.
Cons: Course is not quite done. Needs better Tee boxes and signage. Word is that 9 more holes are coming in the spring. It is a work in progress and could be a real gem in the next couple years.
Other Thoughts: It is on Army Core of Engineers land. So you park in the Otter Brook Dam area in the summer and play from hole 1. After Labor Day, the gate is closed and you need to park at gate and walk in. The 5th hole is where most start and is on the right hand side of the road just after the fork in the road. Hole 7 is the hole that can wreck a round. Ace opportunities on 2 and 9.

Great New Course

2-4    9/1/2014   9/10/2013
Review By: Adventureortiz
This review was updated on 9/1/2014
Pros: UPDATED: I just got back to this course today after being away for about a year. WOW... the improvements are noticeable and this course is really taking shape. Many permanent tee pads have been installed an several more are in process.
This course has some great varied terrain and I would call it a classic NH course (miss the tree and you are golden... hit it and you swatted 100 feet off course). WHILE THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF TREES MAKING IT A VERY INTERESTING CHALLENGE, THE CLEARING HAS REALLY OPENED THINGS UP AND IT IS A JOY TO PLAY. It was easy to follow, a really great location. Love all the streams and the open forrest. It has both an A and B tee for almost all holes which was great. I particularly liked hole 3 which was this fun downhill through the woods.
Cons: THIS COURSE IS MATURING SO NICELY This is only a con because I want more people to get out there and play and break this thing in.
Some of the Natural tees on uneven or sloppy terrain. ALMOST ALL OF THE REALLY SLOPPY DIFFICULT TEES FROM BEFORE ARE NOW BRAND NEW RUBBER TEE PADS. NOT OF THE TEES ARE THAT RUGGED ANY MORE... MAYBE HOLE 2 BUT I SAW LUMBER ALL OVER SO THAT PROJECT IS IN PROGRESS. It is and will likely be a pretty wet course after rains but you can see where they have done a lot of work to contain the water flow and some rough log bridges have been put over stuff. MANY OF THE LOG BRIDGES ARE NOT NICE PLANK BRIDGES WHICH ARE GREAT.
Other Thoughts: This is an AWESOME 9 hole course that is REALLY TAKING SHAPE. Fun layout. I am very appreciative of all the hard work these folks put into the course. This is going to be a great one. I can envision nice bridges and paths throughout... already some benches and picnic tables. I would love to volunteer some work on the course so I will pursue that... Get out and play this one and help "break it in".
SIGNS ARE LAMINATED PAPER BUT GIVE YOU CLEAR DIRECTIONS AND IT IS EASY TO FIND ALL TEES WITH CLEAR SIGNAGE THROUGHOUT.