Keene, NH
Otter Brook DGC Share
Uploaded By: solomon.trenton Hole #4 (Taken 9/2013)

Great road trip stop

1    5/21/2015   5/21/2015
Review By: gabereif
This review was updated on 7/8/2015
Pros: I UNDERSTAND THAT THIS COURSE IS NOW 18 HOLES. THE REVIEW BELOW WAS FOR THE 9 HOLE COURSE.

I was very pleasantly surprised by this course! Pros include:
-Close to Keene and directly off the highway (Rt. 9)
-Easy to find without a map
-Easy to navigate
-Great signs
-Two tees per hole
-Beautiful wooded setting. The underbrush has no poison ivy or thorns, just lots of nice-smelling pine needles. There are some creeks and a couple of muddy spots, but there are nice footbridges to cross them. The secluded, natural feel of the course is special.
-Incredibly sexy tee pads. With brooms for sweeping.
-Great use of topography! Some huge uphill and downhill shots, while others use more subtle topography to make things interesting.
-Clearly cared for by the local DG community
-Shots that bend left and right
-Very wooded, but clear fairways
-Nice baskets
-Challenging yet fair
-You can play a round here quickly. Although you'll want to play 2 rounds... or more
-Fair pars
Cons: -Only 9 holes.
-I wish there were a few less trees on some holes. Slightly wider fairways would be nice, but I'm being picky.
Other Thoughts: This is a great 9 hole course. I'm so happy I stopped by on my way to Concord and will be sure to do so every time I'm in the area. I met Rob, the designer, and he assured me that the back 9 are being installed. Very exciting. Once these go in, the course might earn a 4-disc rating. (For now, it's a 3.25, but I decided to give it 3.5 discs because Rob was super nice). I wish this was my local course!

Road Trip

1    11/25/2014   11/27/2014
Review By: AwanaTrek
Pros: The tee boxes are very nice
Nice layout - good use of the natural features
Long and Short Pads offer a good variety
Cons: Only 9 holes
Too far from my house for regular play
Other Thoughts: Keene DGC has done a fine job. Lots of potential and will need to get back after the other 9 pins are in the ground.
I am always a fan of alternate pin locations for erosion control and more variety.

Great Wooded Layout

5+    9/15/2014   9/16/2014
Review By: ItsLake
This review was updated on 7/3/2015
Pros: -Tee Pads. The front 9 A-Tee teepads are installed. These are some of the better teepads in the area.
-Baskets. Great Innova baskets.
-Layout. Each hole is unique. A variety of shots is required to complete all 18 holes
-Free.
-Improvements made weekly. We have a dedicated group that is cleaning, cutting, and making progress every week.
Cons: - Work is still being done to clear out stumps, branches, and brush piles. The parts that have been cleared out look gorgeous, though.
A little on the short side, but the tight lines make it very challenging.
-Signage for the back 9 will hopefully be up soon, but there are at least flags and logs pointing you where to go.
Other Thoughts: Otter Brook is a highly wooded and technical course. Distance drives only come out on a couple shots as you wind through the trees. Course already looks great and will only get better as more effort is put into making this place a top-notch place to go.
**Update**
As of mid-June
All 18 baskets are in! The back 9 has a very different feel from the front. Although it uses the elevation well, it is not nearly as hilly as the front nine, meaning nothing quite like holes 1, 3, and 7...

FULL 18 IS IN!

5+    7/18/2014   7/19/2014
Review By: KLydon
This review was updated on 7/30/2015
Pros: +Great hole layouts
+Good mix of uphill and downhill, forehand/backhand
+Maturing quickly
+New tee boxes are fantastic
+Technical and challenging!
+LEAGUE NIGHT
+Holes are well spaced, you don't need to worry about hitting people on other holes
Cons: -Brush piles exist in sometimes inconvenient locations (But many have been removed recently as 7/28/15)
Other Thoughts: This is my home course and it is amazing. The pictures really don't do it justice. The full 18 is in and it is playing great! Once we get the back 9 pads in, this will be one of the must-play locations in New England. We have a small but rapidly growing club that is a great group of people to play with. Otter Brook is 18 holes! Come play it!

Lovely course in woods

1    12/27/2013   12/29/2013
Review By: Chezziebr
Pros: Trees, terrain, rather difficult. After 9 holes I was tired.
Cons: Its steep in some areas, and we played in the snow, so if you are not sure-footed you might want to wait until spring. Otherwise we loved it.
Other Thoughts: The course is rather challenging for how short it is. Loved the technical tree holes, the elevation gain/loss for each hole, and the overall lovely-ness of the area.

This Course will be a Gem

5+    9/26/2013   9/26/2013
Review By: breck66
Pros: Two tee pads for each hole, gorgeous setting, dramatic elevation change, plenty of risk VS reward shots. Almost daily improvements are being made. Local league is drawing new players to the sport
Cons: Tee Pads are natural but will be upgraded next spring, gets soggy in spots after heavy rain,
Other Thoughts: As the co-designer and head worker for the course I am obviously biased, that being said, I have played for a long time and know what constitutes a solid design and decent layout. Otter Brook Park will challenge you, require every shot in your arsenal. She will provide you with moments of joy, followed by agony that will only leave you wanting to come back again and try to master her. Back 9 is flagged and marked but work will not begin until I have a solid crew of workers supporting me. If you are in the area come check it out, and hit me up for a guided tour, I live 3 miles away and am usually on the course Sat-Sun

New 9 Hole in Keene NH

5+    9/22/2013   9/24/2013
Review By: rcj333
This review was updated on 4/19/2014
Pros: This is a new course in town and thusly "my" course. Also I am a beginner disc player. Otter Brook is nicely laid out and I think has a nice variety of holes. Despite the fact there are a ton of trees, I feel like this is a pretty forgiving course. When I mess up, I still feel like there is a shot to be made to get to the basket.
Cons: Course is not quite done. Needs better Tee boxes and signage. Word is that 9 more holes are coming in the spring. It is a work in progress and could be a real gem in the next couple years.
Other Thoughts: It is on Army Core of Engineers land. So you park in the Otter Brook Dam area in the summer and play from hole 1. After Labor Day, the gate is closed and you need to park at gate and walk in. The 5th hole is where most start and is on the right hand side of the road just after the fork in the road. Hole 7 is the hole that can wreck a round. Ace opportunities on 2 and 9.

Great New Course

2-4    9/1/2014   9/10/2013
Review By: Adventureortiz
This review was updated on 9/1/2014
Pros: UPDATED: I just got back to this course today after being away for about a year. WOW... the improvements are noticeable and this course is really taking shape. Many permanent tee pads have been installed an several more are in process.
This course has some great varied terrain and I would call it a classic NH course (miss the tree and you are golden... hit it and you swatted 100 feet off course). WHILE THERE ARE STILL A LOT OF TREES MAKING IT A VERY INTERESTING CHALLENGE, THE CLEARING HAS REALLY OPENED THINGS UP AND IT IS A JOY TO PLAY. It was easy to follow, a really great location. Love all the streams and the open forrest. It has both an A and B tee for almost all holes which was great. I particularly liked hole 3 which was this fun downhill through the woods.
Cons: THIS COURSE IS MATURING SO NICELY This is only a con because I want more people to get out there and play and break this thing in.
Some of the Natural tees on uneven or sloppy terrain. ALMOST ALL OF THE REALLY SLOPPY DIFFICULT TEES FROM BEFORE ARE NOW BRAND NEW RUBBER TEE PADS. NOT OF THE TEES ARE THAT RUGGED ANY MORE... MAYBE HOLE 2 BUT I SAW LUMBER ALL OVER SO THAT PROJECT IS IN PROGRESS. It is and will likely be a pretty wet course after rains but you can see where they have done a lot of work to contain the water flow and some rough log bridges have been put over stuff. MANY OF THE LOG BRIDGES ARE NOT NICE PLANK BRIDGES WHICH ARE GREAT.
Other Thoughts: This is an AWESOME 9 hole course that is REALLY TAKING SHAPE. Fun layout. I am very appreciative of all the hard work these folks put into the course. This is going to be a great one. I can envision nice bridges and paths throughout... already some benches and picnic tables. I would love to volunteer some work on the course so I will pursue that... Get out and play this one and help "break it in".
SIGNS ARE LAMINATED PAPER BUT GIVE YOU CLEAR DIRECTIONS AND IT IS EASY TO FIND ALL TEES WITH CLEAR SIGNAGE THROUGHOUT.