San Antonio, TX
McClain Park Share

2-4    4/6/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: This course is set up right off of an elementary school with a nice map showing the course. There are concrete tees, dual tees on some holes with very descriptive signs on each hole.

This is a very tight wooded course (think Texas Army Trail for Houston golfers) The wooded holes are tough but fair with multiple lines to take on each hole. The course also has a few holes that play out in the open.

The holes that are open like 10, 13 and 17 are very well kept up with short, green grass. Hole 13 is a massive 700+ hole that is the signature of the back 9.

There is plenty of elevation at this course. Hole #5 is THE hole of the course with a long dogleg right and a 30 foot elevation jump up a cliff to the basket. I have played very few courses where a hole jumped out in my mind like this one did.

I found the walking path in the front nine holes quite helpful for navigation and well needed with the mud that was present on the course at the time.

The course is quite simple to follow, with signs pointing you in the right direction when the walk in between holes is long.
Cons: After a good rain this course is an absolute mess. It is the type of mud that cakes to the bottom of your shoes and once dry is impossible to get off your hands and discs.

Even though Holes 5 and 6 are the "signature" holes on the course, footing may be treacherous walking up the steep incline on #5 and walking down the incline if you miss your throw and land in the ravine on #6.

I did not notice any bathrooms, or water on site. This could be problematic at tournaments.
Other Thoughts: This is a good course to have a tournament at. There is plenty of space at the beginning of the park to practice putting and set up.

The course has A LOT of holes that go left to right and that is something that is unique about this course because lefties and flickers could do very well here.

I have now played Universal city and McClain in the San Antonio area. I must say McClain is far and beyond the better course of the two. All kind of shots are necessary to do well here. Accuracy is needed off each tee. A fun time is guaranteed.

After the round go to Mama Margie's Mexican Restaurant a few miles north on I35, it is fast and cheap and a very good meal.

Getting Skinny

1    7/31/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: BigE
Pros: I really enjoyed this course! The course has a really good mix when it comes to shot variety! It also has a lot of unique holes. They used the given terrain well on each hole interesting and memorable! The fun factor combined with the skill needed to complete each hole. I thrived on needing all the shots in my arsenal to score well. Lots of wildlife to see adding to the experience. 2 sets of tee's was a bonus that offered a different shot all to gether for almost all holes giving new lines to try for each set of tee's. Locals where very nice and let me have a chance to enjoy some competition which is way better than solo.
Cons: Only con for me was the sidewalk they ran right through hole 1 that has you shooting toward a blind corner when it comes to foot traffic. A park patron told me they put the sidewalks in a few months back. So this safety issue which I think is a big no no lies directly on the citys sholder.
Other Thoughts: I will definitely be back as this is one high on the fun factor course. You need to hit a line on this course or you will be in the rough and scrambling to make par!

Very nice course!

2-4    5/25/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: This course is pristine! The tees and baskets were in great shape and even quite a bit of nice landscaping has been done around the course in various spots. The course is pretty easy to navigate, even for a first-timer. I thought this was a very challenging course, though, and it required a large variety of shots...and I played it when it had been very dry so the big murky water hole in front of the 18 tee was the only water I had to contend with. I can only imagine how difficult it would be with water in all of those dry creek beds.
Cons: I can't really say much bad about this course. There was one spot, maybe from 9 to 10 that I wasn't sure exactly where to go, but I whipped out my map that I printed from this site and it was easy to figure out. There are new tee signs needed on a few holes since some new tee boxes have been put in for a "long tees" version of the course.
Other Thoughts: This course offers long tees, regular tees (some holes these first two are the same), and then a short tee version for newbies, kids, or just anyone wanting to work on their approach and putt game or short on time. The short tees are "natural" (either dirt or wood chips). I really liked this course a lot and overall I thought it was a great challenge. Do not miss this course if you are in or around the San Antonio area looking to play some disc golf.