San Antonio, TX
McClain Park Share

Very nice course!

2-4    5/25/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: This course is pristine! The tees and baskets were in great shape and even quite a bit of nice landscaping has been done around the course in various spots. The course is pretty easy to navigate, even for a first-timer. I thought this was a very challenging course, though, and it required a large variety of shots...and I played it when it had been very dry so the big murky water hole in front of the 18 tee was the only water I had to contend with. I can only imagine how difficult it would be with water in all of those dry creek beds.
Cons: I can't really say much bad about this course. There was one spot, maybe from 9 to 10 that I wasn't sure exactly where to go, but I whipped out my map that I printed from this site and it was easy to figure out. There are new tee signs needed on a few holes since some new tee boxes have been put in for a "long tees" version of the course.
Other Thoughts: This course offers long tees, regular tees (some holes these first two are the same), and then a short tee version for newbies, kids, or just anyone wanting to work on their approach and putt game or short on time. The short tees are "natural" (either dirt or wood chips). I really liked this course a lot and overall I thought it was a great challenge. Do not miss this course if you are in or around the San Antonio area looking to play some disc golf.

well maintained and fairly easy

2-4    11/26/2010   11/27/2010
Review By: johncourt
Pros: The course is well maintained. The tees are all in good shape and the baskets are all there and marked. Each tee has post with hole info. The course has a good variety of open fairways and ones through the woods. The vegetation is thick but easy to search for a disc (little high grass). The occasional ravine is also a welcome treat.
Cons: The course is a little too generic. I feel if you were to play this a few times it would become very easy and monotonous. The deep and disgusting looking water at hole 18 tee was a worry for me. Would not want to unluckily hit a tree and have to fish my disc out of that murky water.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting for Thanksgiving and McClain Park provided a great place to disc golf for the day. Props to whoever maintains the course. I hope all of San Antonio's courses are this nice (hopefully a little more technical).

A little mud, but a lot of fun!

1    5/31/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: BewareOfPenguin
Pros: Nice course with a fair share of technical shots. A few of the holes place an emphasis on being able to toss a tight, laser beam kind of throw. This is due to trees lining the fairway, both on the sides and overhanging. The creek that weaves its way through the course at numerous locations really adds another level of difficulty during rainy seasons.

I would agree that Hole #5 is the signature hole for this course. It features a dogleg to the right, a creek crossing and an elevated shot at the basket. I'll admit that the elevation change was an unexpected surprise. Hole #6 is a cool one as well. During a dry spell, I might have been tempted to go for broke and take a direct shot at the basket. But since the creek was quite full, I played it safe and went around the dogleg to settle for par.
Cons: The course definitely lives up to the hype about being muddy. It appears that some of the locals have taken to driving their ATV's on the course. This only helps to make the muddy mess worse by tearing up the grass and creating ruts where water can collect. The tee box for #10 can be difficult to find if you're not familiar with the course. Unfortunately, the basket for #10 can be even harder to find. Mainly because it's not there. The mounting base is there, but the basket is gone. Parking in a school parking lot is kind of a bummer. A few of the tees are missing their maps and/or par and footage signs.
Other Thoughts: I found myself in San Antonio with only enough time to play one course. I'm pretty glad to come to play this one. I would definitely come back and do it again. Though I'll be sure to bring a change of footwear this time.

Excellent yet Slippery course

1    2/17/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: Froztfx
Pros: A lot of challenging shots, you want to play more for accuracy and placing your discs rather than pure power. You have a great mixture of hard & fairly easy holes.
Cons: You want to make sure it hasn't rained in ohh I would say a month lol. The course is VERY muddy in spots the back 9 isn't near as bad as holes 2-8ish.
Other Thoughts: There was a little trash on the course and not many trash cans.

McClain

5+    12/20/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: mfcastillo17
Pros: Very challenging course that puts a premium on accuracy and placement. There are many birdies out there, but playing too aggressive can really make the strokes pile up. You can make quite a few birdies and still find yourself over par. A good thumber will help you quite a bit.
Cons: Can become very muddy if not unplayable after a rain. Some people can't seem to pick up their trash. Vandals like to paint graffiti on the course. Water in creeks can become murky making it impossible to retrieve your discs.
Other Thoughts: Since I have moved to SA, I have seen the pride that SADC puts into this course. I really wish that everyone would share that same pride and not trash and deface this great course.

Good Start

1    11/24/2009   12/3/2009
Review By: DGRZ001
Pros: Hole 5 is what I take away as the signature hole - place your tee shot just right, and you can go for the elevated basket, but watch out for the moat. Most of the water was shallow enough to allow for disc retrieval. Concrete tee pads were nice.
Cons: Too many fairways with trees in the fairway (remember-a tight fairway with a navigable path is much prefered to some space between the woods where there are still trees to go between). Long walk between some of the holes- some were as long as the hole itself. I played with a map I drew out from one posted here, and I still made a few wrong turns.
Other Thoughts: Don't know what the other courses in SA are like, but this looks like one that a club could use as a home course.

too wet

1    10/28/2009   11/4/2009
Review By: discNDav
This review was updated on 11/5/2009
Pros: good tee signs and cement tee pads...hole 5's incline was very surprising..
Cons: the late October day I was here the course simply was suffering from too much standing water; the mud, the puddles and wet grass made it extremely difficult to walk let alone play.

Looking at the landscape, this appears to occur often. Maybe it's dry in the hot Texas summer?
Other Thoughts: This was my first Texas course and found it to be very disappointing, I had to leave after 9 holes.

McClain

1    10/29/2009   10/29/2009
Review By: todd75
Pros: Awsome course In San Antonio. Plenty of technical shots and several long strong arm shots.
Cons: Not so great in the end of Oct. Bring your waterproof boots. The creeks are very deep in several spots.
Other Thoughts: A couple of bridges to help with winter play would be nice

Nice course in N San Antonio

1    6/5/2009   6/5/2009
Review By: drgnslyr221
This review was updated on 9/18/2009
Pros: great tees!The hole signs are great (though a lot of them are missing).

Great variety of lengths of the holes.While most holes are wooded it will let you grip it and rip it on occasion.

Two great Ace runs at 6 and 16.Hole 6 is a great short hole.about 140 feet going down a creek bed.about 80 feet behind the basket is severely downhill that will make a hyzer shot go way long if missed.Hole 16 goes right along the same creek bed ending with the basket on the edge of an elbow in the creek.

The fairways are well maintained and make the course look like a ball golf course.

No poison plants that I could see.

Great park setting with benches to relax at after or between rounds.
Cons: HEAVY foliage with thorns thick trees and cactus's.I spent half my time retrieving discs from thorn infested trees.This wouldn't matter if it wasn't for the fact that most of them were just 10 feet of the fairway.

Some of the holes are hard to find without a map (thank God for my Iphone).

There are some would be great lines that could be opened up with only tearing down a few trees and some foilage.
Other Thoughts: Moving from DFW to San Antonio I was disappointed in the number of courses in San Antonio.Luckily I'm only 20 minutes from this course and I'm proud to call this my new home course.

McClain Park

5+    3/22/2009   3/23/2009
Review By: texasemt13
Pros: A beautiful course that takes advantage of the local landscape. You would never think that this course would be tucked away inside Loop 1604. It's such a nice retreat from the city which is just outside its boundaries. This course will definitely test your skill level, as many holes are designed for specific shots. This course is designed for players with shot control.
Cons: Be prepared to fight trees and incline shots. But none to ridiculous.
Other Thoughts: This course is on the backside of an elementary school so be careful.