San Antonio, TX
McClain Park Share

Disappointment

1    7/27/2012   7/27/2012
Review By: larryth
Pros: 18 holes
Cons: Barely maintained past first hole; trash & broken glass everywhere, many tunnel shots, hole 4 only encourages lost disc into a polluted creek ravine, and course design fails by hole placement and not considering terrain ( one shot literally has no opening through trese) and winds.
Other Thoughts: Glad to cross it off my to play list but won't be back.

McClain's Challenge

1    2/21/2012   2/21/2012
Review By: hefalump
Pros: This is a course that I put off for a long time playing but has been recommended to me several times. This course has several good challenge holes. I can't think of any better than 5 & 6. Hole 5 has a couple of good throws (about 100 feet each) to a steep embankment where you have to toss up to the basket. Tough to get this one in par. Hole 6 is a 140 foot throw to a basket that is sitting on the bank of the creek on the same side you are on. If you were to play this hole throwing out over the creek, you would have to throw at least 120 feet without dropping into the creek. There is an overhanging branch that is sitting just right to where your disc could possibly be diverted into the creek itself. I got kicked back on the trail next to the creek, so I avoided losing a disc. Hole 10 reminds me of hole 3 at Searight in Austin. Both are slightly over 500 feet straightaways and look almost exactly the same, except hole 10 here is a little tighter in one place. This course contains great tunnel shots on two or three holes and even a couple of wooded holes where you have to do some tree dodging. Good course layout overall. Not hard to navigate. A little muddy on the first 5 holes, but dries up as you play from hole 6 on back. Good challenge all around. Plenty of trash cans that I could see.
Cons: No restrooms. Messy on the early holes. Needs better parking arrangements. Lots of places to lose a disc or even lose your footing if you're not careful.
Other Thoughts: This course is comparable to Universal City in it's make-up and looks. I would be hard pressed to say which one I liked better, so I will say I like both equally.I would definitely play here again. This course is a fun 18 holes and I would recommend it to any disc golfer in San Antonio.

san antonio favorite

5+    11/5/2011   11/18/2011
Review By: Guru10
Pros: -clear course map at the beginning and tee signs throughout the course
-well paced mix of long and short holes
-variety of terrain, including steep hillsides, rough woods and rocky footing. not a typical walk in the park
-well maintained by city and local club
-not far from local businesses, hotels, restaurants, etc.
-ace runs, anyone?
Cons: -lots of traffic during peak hours (it's located behind a school, so look out for kids)
-tight woods and lots of trees might discourage beginners. easy to lose a disc.
-when it rains, it stay wet for a long, long time,
Other Thoughts: Favorite Holes
#5 - when i first played here and came around the bend, my eyes widened. i suddenly truly felt like i was "in the woods".

#6 & 16 - Ace runs for everyone!

all in all, it's a really fun course that one must play when in san antonio.

Getting Skinny

1    7/31/2011   7/31/2011
Review By: BigE
Pros: I really enjoyed this course! The course has a really good mix when it comes to shot variety! It also has a lot of unique holes. They used the given terrain well on each hole interesting and memorable! The fun factor combined with the skill needed to complete each hole. I thrived on needing all the shots in my arsenal to score well. Lots of wildlife to see adding to the experience. 2 sets of tee's was a bonus that offered a different shot all to gether for almost all holes giving new lines to try for each set of tee's. Locals where very nice and let me have a chance to enjoy some competition which is way better than solo.
Cons: Only con for me was the sidewalk they ran right through hole 1 that has you shooting toward a blind corner when it comes to foot traffic. A park patron told me they put the sidewalks in a few months back. So this safety issue which I think is a big no no lies directly on the citys sholder.
Other Thoughts: I will definitely be back as this is one high on the fun factor course. You need to hit a line on this course or you will be in the rough and scrambling to make par!

Who the heck is McClain? I want to meet him!

1    1/13/2011   7/10/2011
This review was updated on 7/11/2011
Pros: 1) Practice basket available at the first tee area.

2) Nice sign and map at the entrance. Nicely landscaped entrance to the course also . . . not something you usually see on a disc golf course.

3) Signs have all the pertinent info Hole # Par, Distance, and a hole map . . .always positive for a first timer and traveller like myself.

4) Nice diversity on this course in regards to shot selection and hole design.

5) Foliage density is a big plus as it forces some real shot making to be needed on a lot of these holes.

6) Very Blair Witch feeling . . . little stones and branches placed in piles to line fairways and walkways between holes.

7) #3 has a very well done retaining wall. Proper and attractive landscaping is becoming one of my favorite things to see on a course because most other courses seemt o throw whatever they can together. Owning a landscape company really makes me appreciate good work when I see it.

8) Water is visible on a few holes although it seemed to mostly be right off the tee. They used the creek well however especially on one hole.

9) Elevation change was used as well as possible on this course.

10) 3 sets of tees to offer a completely different course for all skill levels.

11) Awesome rock wall out in the back corner of the course. It is quite a feature to this already great course.

12) 5 and 6 are two very unique holes and are worth playing this whole course just because of those holes!!

13 Nice concrete tees on this course and they are appreciated because of how wet it can get.
Cons: 1) Walks from #3 to #4 is tough and also from 9 to 10. It can be confusing and hard to figure out for a beginner or traveller.

2) The hole across the power wire right of way seems really unnatural and is also really tough to see the basket because it is tucked right into the edge of the woods.

3) Seemed to be a lot of garbage around this course. I just don't rem

4) As seems to be the same on almost all TX courses so far . . . compaction and erosion are factors on this course. Mulch could be needed in spots to diminish the impact of the visual on this course.
Other Thoughts: This is just another great course in Texas . . .well designed, cool property, nice challenge, nice variety . . . what more can you ask for? I would be here all the time too!!!!

Very nice course!

2-4    5/25/2011   5/26/2011
Review By: allent
Pros: This course is pristine! The tees and baskets were in great shape and even quite a bit of nice landscaping has been done around the course in various spots. The course is pretty easy to navigate, even for a first-timer. I thought this was a very challenging course, though, and it required a large variety of shots...and I played it when it had been very dry so the big murky water hole in front of the 18 tee was the only water I had to contend with. I can only imagine how difficult it would be with water in all of those dry creek beds.
Cons: I can't really say much bad about this course. There was one spot, maybe from 9 to 10 that I wasn't sure exactly where to go, but I whipped out my map that I printed from this site and it was easy to figure out. There are new tee signs needed on a few holes since some new tee boxes have been put in for a "long tees" version of the course.
Other Thoughts: This course offers long tees, regular tees (some holes these first two are the same), and then a short tee version for newbies, kids, or just anyone wanting to work on their approach and putt game or short on time. The short tees are "natural" (either dirt or wood chips). I really liked this course a lot and overall I thought it was a great challenge. Do not miss this course if you are in or around the San Antonio area looking to play some disc golf.

well maintained and fairly easy

2-4    11/26/2010   11/27/2010
Review By: johncourt
Pros: The course is well maintained. The tees are all in good shape and the baskets are all there and marked. Each tee has post with hole info. The course has a good variety of open fairways and ones through the woods. The vegetation is thick but easy to search for a disc (little high grass). The occasional ravine is also a welcome treat.
Cons: The course is a little too generic. I feel if you were to play this a few times it would become very easy and monotonous. The deep and disgusting looking water at hole 18 tee was a worry for me. Would not want to unluckily hit a tree and have to fish my disc out of that murky water.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting for Thanksgiving and McClain Park provided a great place to disc golf for the day. Props to whoever maintains the course. I hope all of San Antonio's courses are this nice (hopefully a little more technical).

A little mud, but a lot of fun!

1    5/31/2010   6/1/2010
Review By: BewareOfPenguin
Pros: Nice course with a fair share of technical shots. A few of the holes place an emphasis on being able to toss a tight, laser beam kind of throw. This is due to trees lining the fairway, both on the sides and overhanging. The creek that weaves its way through the course at numerous locations really adds another level of difficulty during rainy seasons.

I would agree that Hole #5 is the signature hole for this course. It features a dogleg to the right, a creek crossing and an elevated shot at the basket. I'll admit that the elevation change was an unexpected surprise. Hole #6 is a cool one as well. During a dry spell, I might have been tempted to go for broke and take a direct shot at the basket. But since the creek was quite full, I played it safe and went around the dogleg to settle for par.
Cons: The course definitely lives up to the hype about being muddy. It appears that some of the locals have taken to driving their ATV's on the course. This only helps to make the muddy mess worse by tearing up the grass and creating ruts where water can collect. The tee box for #10 can be difficult to find if you're not familiar with the course. Unfortunately, the basket for #10 can be even harder to find. Mainly because it's not there. The mounting base is there, but the basket is gone. Parking in a school parking lot is kind of a bummer. A few of the tees are missing their maps and/or par and footage signs.
Other Thoughts: I found myself in San Antonio with only enough time to play one course. I'm pretty glad to come to play this one. I would definitely come back and do it again. Though I'll be sure to bring a change of footwear this time.

Excellent yet Slippery course

1    2/17/2010   2/21/2010
Review By: Froztfx
Pros: A lot of challenging shots, you want to play more for accuracy and placing your discs rather than pure power. You have a great mixture of hard & fairly easy holes.
Cons: You want to make sure it hasn't rained in ohh I would say a month lol. The course is VERY muddy in spots the back 9 isn't near as bad as holes 2-8ish.
Other Thoughts: There was a little trash on the course and not many trash cans.

McClain

5+    12/20/2009   12/26/2009
Review By: mfcastillo17
Pros: Very challenging course that puts a premium on accuracy and placement. There are many birdies out there, but playing too aggressive can really make the strokes pile up. You can make quite a few birdies and still find yourself over par. A good thumber will help you quite a bit.
Cons: Can become very muddy if not unplayable after a rain. Some people can't seem to pick up their trash. Vandals like to paint graffiti on the course. Water in creeks can become murky making it impossible to retrieve your discs.
Other Thoughts: Since I have moved to SA, I have seen the pride that SADC puts into this course. I really wish that everyone would share that same pride and not trash and deface this great course.