Layout Extinct

Moneta, VA
Moneta Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: Dino Hole #2 (Taken 11/2013)

What Do You Do When The Hay Is Four Feet High?

1    8/15/2016   8/27/2016
Pros: Moneta Park is a decent sized park with picnic shelters, soccer fields, restrooms. etc. The course starts just past the picnic shelter and then heads out into an area that appears mostly unused by park patrons, including a large hay field.

The baskets are single chain Lightning models with the hole # on top. I don't really know how to be careful putting as I just try to band into the chains and hope it falls into the basket. No wonder I'm such a sucky putter. There is a lovely course sign at the beginning. There are no pads, just tee off from a basket, I guess.

Several baskets are just set next to a barb wire fence as you're just throwing across an open hay field. Any hyser mistake flies over the barb wire fence. I played shortly after the hay was cut and the large circular rolls were still lying in the field. So holes 3-5 play across an open hay field. What are you doing when the hay is 2-3-4' foot deep here? Do the folks who own this field like having disc golfers trample across their growing hay? Do the disc golfers like searching for their straight down the middle of the fairway drives in tall hay?

Cons: I could generate no love whatsoever for this course. I think the design is overly long, boring in places and features two holes I really detested.

Holes 3 & 4 which play down the hay field are ho-hum, unplayable during growing season which is most of the summer. Hole # 5 is just a wide open 500' toss across the field, once again unplayable during growing season.

Then I came to # 7. It plays down a narrow path used by the cross country runners, 6-8' wide with deep nasty rough on both sides. I say to myself as I'm approaching this narrow little path, "I bet they made this hole 300' down this path." I was more than a little bit unimpressed with the course by this point. But was I wrong! The hole was not 300' down a super narrow path but it is 340' with a dogleg at the bottom of the hill. It's an advanced difficulty hole. Ridiculously difficult. Playing alone, I never considered throwing my disc down that narrow trail.

And then I finished with # 9 with it's 550', uphill all the way to a basket sitting under a tree. Who finds 550' uphill holes enjoyable?
Other Thoughts: Sorry, if I lived across the street from this course, I would never play it again. It's a terrible design which doesn't suit or match anyone's game. I hate to be negative but I truly hated this course.

I think the baskets should be pulled right now and this course should be relocated to the main part of the park as a short Pitch & Putt. I guarantee that a short, easy recreational course would draw far more players than this current bad design. And farmer John would be happy not to have his hayfield tramped down! On retrospect, how much tramping down does one round a month do?

Could be so much more...

1    11/24/2014   11/24/2014
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: The park, which I've heard is relatively new, is beautiful. Rolling hills which had to be farmland not too long ago, accompanied with sections of woods(which were unfortunately underutilized). I've confirmed with the locals that deer can be seen often on the property, along with other wildlife I'm sure.

The course has it's moments as well. It won't be the most difficult course you'll ever play, but it will be slightly harder than what you'd assume out of open 300' shots. The wind will add an element of challenge to a course that would otherwise be too easy. Be sure to have your overstable plastic in your bag. The locals have confirmed that my experience wasn't unique, but that those winds are the norm.

You'll have a few opportunities for aces, but with the wind, thick wooded rough and barbed wire OB, it's not something you should necessarily shoot for.

Navigation wasn't an issue at all and the tee signs were actually accurate and informative. The par values are a little off in my experience, but with the raging winds I experienced, I felt lucky to shoot under.

I was able to use putters, mids and drivers from the tee pads. In that way, it did feel like it offered variety, but that's the only place it was to be found.
Cons: This course has a lot of land that it simply doesn't use. Knowing the back story, I'm aware that there wasn't a lot of volunteer help that was to be had. Thus, although there are ample amounts of woods to be used, they're only in play in the form of rough/OB.

Repetitive. This course was essentially the same shot over and over, with the exception of hole 7. Open fields, torrential winds and maybe a few large trees near the basket.

The baskets aren't top of the line, so you'll have to be extra careful with your putts. There will be several times you'll need to put some more heat on your putt to counter the wind, but without inner chains this becomes even more treacherous.

Hole 7 is the only wooded hole, and it seems like it was simply utilizing a truck road from one field to the other. I think if there were a team of volunteers out there to help clear fairways, this course could be a lot better. As it stands, this course could have been installed by one guy, probably in 1 day...

Natural tee pads are the norm in Southwest Virginia. I'm well aware of this. SWVA deserves better! I'm not advocating Moneta be one of the few with concrete, but it's another flaw.
Other Thoughts: There isn't a lot to be said about this course. It was worth my time as I passed through (mainly due to the fact that it's the only course in the area), but I'd highly suggest driving to Bedford over Moneta. Play it if you're a local or a course junkie, otherwise I'd pass.

Nice little course

1    6/29/2014   7/1/2014
Review By: ccoch
Pros: Fairways are well defined. Good open holes for big drives. Signs for every tee and a course map at the beginning. Baskets are in good shape.
Cons: No tee pads, it would be nice to have a level area to throw from. No real ace runs here. Most holes were pretty straight and easy.
Other Thoughts: As is now it's a good course for beginners. Maybe in the future some more holes could be added and more difficult "pro" tees. I would also suggest adding a Mando to #7 so as to keep people from cutting across the woods for easy tap in birdies.

Great new course near SML!!!

5+    11/18/2013   11/20/2013
Review By: DrBeardFace77
Pros: Nice open layout. Clearly defined fairways and navigation. Great chances to throw big drives throughout the course. High grass and open woods along the course result in a very low probability of losing discs. This a great course for beginners to build skill and for experienced players to work on throwing long controlled drives. Convenient location to SML right off 122 near "Downtown" Moneta. Also I love the beautiful view of the mountains from the hills on the course!
Cons: A defined and level tee would be nice for each hole. There is only a sign and some of the tees are on uphills and uneven, holey grass. All of the holes are very straight, few obstructions or hidden holes. A little more variation or use of the woods would have been nice.
Other Thoughts: I have really enjoyed playing this course. Moneta park is right down the road from me so I play there very often and I just wish there was some more difficulty for added replay value. Perhaps an additional nine holes could be added later, There is certainly room in the park for it. Other than that I have greatly enjoyed the course and offer great thanks to the boy scout that designed and installed it!