Warrensburg, MO
Park Sign

Marr Park

1    11/29/2013   12/1/2013
Review By: ustenido
Pros: Warrensburg, MO finally has a disc golf course!

The new Mach 5 baskets are nice.

The bridges that are there are convenient, but they tried to avoid making one over hole 5 and people are inevitably going to throw errant shots past this area and have to retrieve it. Hopefully they will eventually make the bridge here and redesign the course with the land across from hole 5 to spread out the course.

hole 9 is fun. Hole 7 is a decent blend of open shot with high risk.

Cons: The only thing that keeps me from rating this course as 0.0 Abysmal is that it would be abysmal for disc golfers to not have a course in Warrensburg. Having said that, the course designer and Warrensburg department of Parks and Recreation created a 9 hole course that simply criscrosses too many other park features. They also crammed holes together in what appears to be their way of avoiding the instalation of a bridge across the creek past hole 5 that would have enabled them to spread out the course more - not to mention the terrain is about 50 degrees sloped and would have allowed a lot more creativity in hole structure.

The sidewalks are not OB, which will be a problem when a non player gets hit by a disc and injured. They couldn't have put 9 holes on the course in this park if the played around it; it would have made more sense to install 3-6 safer holes then 9 unsafe holes.

The fairways are on top of each other, and a few of the holes are heavily wooded, blocking the view of other people.

The tee pads are natural, but unmarked - look for the erosion close to the tee sign.

The baskets don't have number plates, which leads to a bit of confusion when you quickly realize that all the holes are overlapped and you feel unsure if you're playing the right hole the first time you play.

The tree maintenance on the fairways was non existent. There are low ceiling shots in the midfall on holes that play uphill (which gives you an NFL quarterback sized window to throw through).

OB is unmarked.
Other Thoughts: I'm not a fan of the DGA signs, and this is only aggervated by the unclarity of OB. I would personally make the city new professionally done designs if they asked me to.

Not bad for the 'Burg.

1    9/18/2013   9/18/2013
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: I was very pleasantly surprised! They didn't have much to use with the ground they were given, but boy, did they use it. 1-2 are very easy, basic shots; 3-4 take you through the woods. 5-7 are longer and also employ the woods to a lesser extent, while 8-9 are long bombs that allow the big arms to stretch out and have fun.

Brand new baskets are, obviously, in great condition.

Ample parking right next to the course.

For being a new course that's obviously still rough around the edges, the signage was fantastic and generally never left me wondering where to go. Just pay attention to the "next tee" arrow on the sign when you start the hole.

The course is only 9 holes and short at that, making it a very easy play after work or to work on putting/technique.

There aren't really enough big challenges for advanced players, but for the casual/beginner like myself, it was a very fun course and tested every element of my (still developing) game.

There is a small dry creek bed that somewhat comes into play on hole 5; kudos to the designer for using everything available

The course is short, but there are bathrooms at the first/second hole, and they're easily accessible from the 7th if you need them too.

The area was fairly quiet -- if you're looking at this, I'm guessing you live in Warrensburg, so you could have guessed that.
Cons: On 1-2 and 8-9, you're throwing right at people's fenced yards. It's a bit cramped and I was nervous to really open up with my driver because I didn't want it to end up in someone's yard.

The guy next to hole 1 is super nice but he needs to figure out a way to stop his two dogs from getting out. They escaped like 3 times during the 45 minutes I played the course. They're friendly but seriously man? Get those puppies corralled!

The course is right in the middle of a very residential area; with so many homes around, I wonder how long it will be before homeowners start to get fed up with people traipsing through their yards/over their fences to get discs. I lived in Warrensburg long enough to guess that won't be an issue, but you never know.

No tee boxes; the little flags they used to identify them have already been moved or stolen, seems like. There's signs there though, so it's not a huge deal.

There is a b-ball goal and large slab of concrete, along with a playground, smack in the middle of hole 7. Nobody there when I played, but this could be an issue. Just be careful and don't bean someone's precious snowflake in the head with your putter.

While I didn't see any fellow DGers out here, there were several people either walking their dogs or milling about the park. You might have to watch out for them and/or wait for them and their puppy to clear the area before you rip your driver.

Watch out for the nasty barbed wire fence near hole 5!! I had an errant drive go on the outside of it; luckily I found a branch to push it back over to me with, but if you lost one out there, it'd be gone for good. The city should probably at least cut the barbs down like Blue Springs did with their course.
Other Thoughts: This is definitely not a destination course or anything, just a nice 9 holes for you to play if you happen to live or work in Warrensburg. For being brand new and rough around the edges, I found it really fun and I'm sure it will be a great home course for your DGers out in the 'Burg to keep up on your basics in between trips to bigger courses!

Add at least some mulch tees and maybe some benches, and this course might even be a 3.5. For what it is, it's awesome, and I hope the city puts a bit more effort into it to make it a great short little course. With the university nearby I'd hope it'll start to see a lot of use.

I'd Love to Have One of These Across the Street

2-4    9/14/2013   9/14/2013
Review By: MonkeyJones
This review was updated on 10/12/2013
Pros: -decent signage
-nice baskets
-challenging layout
-variety in layout
-lots of mature trees that make the holes interesting
-fair amount of elevation change
-easy to navigate
-bathrooms at the parking lot
-water fountain at the parking lot
Cons: -no tee pads (yet?)
-only a couple of trash cans
-several holes play very close to one another in a back and forth style...I was glad someone was not throwing behind or in front of us in a few places.
-several holes also play immediately along or over the walking path, or over a barbeque area, or, depending on how you want to tee off, over a "basketball court" (which seems to be randomly placed in the middle of a grassy area of the park)

*added 10/12/13*
-flags marking precise location to tee off are all but gone, leaving a general worn area to tee from.
-the park does appear to receive regular foot traffic across the course, such as walkers, runners, and dog-walkers.
Other Thoughts: I was passing through with my wife and two year old, along with a couple, their baby, and two young boys. Halfway through, the ladies commented that it was a nice park for a stroller.

Being a 9 hole course and having 3 brand new players along with me, I pulled only a mid and a putter out of the car. These two discs were sufficient for several of the holes. However, I look forward to going back with the rest of my bag. There are a few longer distance holes and holes that may call for specific shots.

The first few holes are under 300' and I think there may have been another, but they've got enough challenge between the low ceilings, many trees, and slight elevation, that I couldn't call it a con.

A few par 4s here may be an item of dispute for some. Nothing new there. If you think a hole shouldn't be a par 4, play it as a par 3. Have fun.

This small park is tucked away and right on the edge of a residential spot. There were several tweens hanging out at the playground. Other than that spot, it was hard to tell how much traffic the rest of this small park receives. So, I can't say whether the holes playing over park attractions are truly an issue. If those things aren't being used, they may as well be part of a disc golf course.

I thought this was a really fun 9 hole course. I wanted to play it again, but we were just passing through. If 9 hole courses aren't allowed anything higher than a 3 disc rating, I'd still rate this a 3. You have to think before you throw on most holes, and at least half the holes feel like they could be part of a larger 4+ disc rated course--even the shorties. I wouldn't drive 40 minutes just to play it, the only course in Warrensburg. But if I'm gonna be closer or passing through, I'll definitely make extra time to throw it if I can.

*added 10/12/13*
The sign for hole 2 was moved closer to the pin, creating a new tee location, but the sign does include a general illustration of where the previous tee was. This is almost a con for a couple of reasons:
-the original tee location was well placed and offered a fair challenge for par 3. The new location reduces the challenge of the hole enough so as to make the hole appear to be designed solely for a beginner's par 3.
-since there are no actual tee pads, the original tee location doesn't even have the luxury of a flag to mark it...