Washington, IA
Sunset Park Share
Uploaded By: RussMB Hole #8 (Taken 9/2010)
5 / 592ft.   3 / --   3 / --   3 / -- Par / Distance:
Hole #8 Mid-Fairway: Basket is at the top of the hill on left.

Long and Hilly 9er

5+    3/27/2011   3/27/2011
Review By: lazy42
Pros: Very busy multi-use park. Several playgrounds, pool complex, basketball courts, bathrooms, dog park, horseshoe court, sand court volleyball court, multiple pavilions around park, lots to do for the entire family, huge + in my book.

Nice simple tee signs with distance and layout picture, out of bounds noted when it comes into play. Good sized tee pads, they were level, don't recall any being broken, and they pointed towards the pin. Baskets were in nice shape, they look almost new. A couple of trashcans, located on 1 and 5 if I recall correctly.

Elevation - incredibly surprised by the elevation that this course was built around. Even on hole 1, which is basically flat, there was a little elevation near the pin that you had to be aware of on your putt or upshot. Huge valley shots, and several others shooting up or down hill.

Obstacles in the form of fully developed trees. To the simple on-looker, course seems pretty wide open, until you line up your shot off the tee, then you realize the thought put into course design. You can't just pick up your disc and throw, you really need to be fairly selective on your shots.

High level fun factor for me, especially for a 9 hole course.
Cons: No main kiosk for the course (at least none that I found). Not being from area, I had difficulty finding hole 1, I could have benefited from a sign in the park or a kiosk. If this changes or I missed it, let me know and I will update accordingly. Also, after the first time playing course, this isn't an issue.

I fear this course being too busy to play safely during nice weather and or weekends. Hole 1 has OB on both sides on the fairly narrow fairway, with parking available on one or both sides. Even on the days I went, the fairway for 8 and 9 are used by others: people running up the hill, kids playing, walking dogs, this doesn't bother me as it is a multi-use park, just be aware and patient. The road across 8 and 9 fairway has potential to be busy and possibility of vehicles parked there during a party or reunion.

Though there was minimal trash on course, I noticed a lot of trash and dumps on the edges of course (south side behind Pizza Hut - Autozone, not saying its from them though). Maybe not noticed once some green comes back, but definitely took away from the parks beauty.

Even though hole lines were different, your throwing down a hill, then up a hill, down, up, across, and across again. A little redundant, but again, the lines are different enough that you know your throwing a different hole, just thought I would note it.

If you want to play two rounds, you have a fairly long walk back to 1.
Other Thoughts: A couple holes that caught my attention: Hole 4 was a fun chance for an ace or deuce (not a gimme by any means), down hill shot towards pin, nice easy throw off the tee and let it fade back under the basket. Lots of fun. Hole 8, huge valley shot over the road and back up to corner of park. Don't clip any trees or it'll make you come up short. Also, good spot to throw a roller.

The dogleg holes 3 and 5 favors a RHBH thrower. No other holes to offset that.

I thought is was funny that on hole 8, somebody scratched out the par # (5) and wrote 10, made me chuckle.

I noticed a few other groups (single discers) playing, all but one group skipped 8 and 9 completely.

Not that I would want this layout to change, but its worth noting that if they took some of the distance out of the longer holes, you could easily have a 12 hole course, if not a couple more. With that said, this course wouldn't be what it is today, so props to designers for building a great course, and not trying to squeeze a few extra holes out of it.

Overall, I feel this is one of the best 9 hole courses around, and may be the best 9er I've played to date. That much elevation made the play really fun, thus the high fun factor. I drove 40 miles to play this course, and I enjoyed it enough, that when the kids asked to go to a park and play, I packed them up and headed back over.

A 9 hole course that you will want to play!

2-4    7/1/2013   9/13/2010
Review By: RussMB
This review was updated on 7/1/2013
Pros: I was really impressed with this 9 hole course in Washington, Iowa.
-Centrally located in town
-Good use of terrain
-Great for beginners,Casual players, seasoned players and those looking for a quick round. It's fun for everyone.
-For the most part, the course separated from the rest of the park*
-Good distance shots. One of which is a 592ft valley shot. 2 holes are over 400ft. 3 holes are around 350ft. leaving only two less than 300ft. One that is 298ft and the other at 258ft.
-Great course for beginners, and those that enjoy wide open long distance shots.
-Some holes require a strategic approach, as you have a couple of doglegs, as well as multiple uphill shots.
-Good pin placement. There is a good balance between offset pins, and straight ahead shots. Offering a good challenge. There are also a couple of beautiful "Empty your bag" downhill shots.
-Big Fun Factor, and this course will give you a work out. Starting at #2, it becomes and Uphill/Downhill walk. You will definitely burn some calories.

FWIW: There are other activities at this park as well. Playground, Pool, basketball court, skate board facility, and Dog Park. This is a big park, with plenty to do.
Cons: -*Course is separated, but on the weekends this park can be packed. Though the majority of the course is segregated from the rest of the park.
-Hole one has some picnic tables along the side of the fairway. I had to play carefully around a family that was right on that line of my "They are to close" area. IMO
-Kids and other park goers were also running across the middle of the fairway on 8 &9. I played here on a day when there were, what looked like, 3 family reunions going on.
-The road to the Dog park crosses holes 8&9. So you may have to watch for cars, and foot traffic. Not to big of a deal, but definitely worth a mention.
-Some of the distance numbers need to be replaced. They are missing from the signs.

These were really the only negative things I experienced here. This was a very fun course,
Other Thoughts: This is a fun rec course that I really enjoyed. It's well designed for a 9 hole course, and the play was bigger than I had anticipated. The majority of the course is in an open field, but the pin placement will still have you considering your approaches. No special footwear required to play here. You may want to consider having a drink with you. It is an open field, and that can make a difference on a hot day. Of course, there are gas stations and restaurants nearby, so that is a definite plus. If I would have had the time, I would have played another round! ...perhaps a third!

If you are nearby, it's worth checking out. I wouldn't drive way out of my way to play here, but beings it's only 10-15 minutes off the interstate, it's a convenient stop that could make a nice break on a long trip. Plus it's located in a park, that would be an ideal rest stop for a traveling family. One parent could take the kids to the playground, the other could get a disc golf fix.

Update: I've removed the term "Rec" from this review. I've since changed my philosophy on what a rec course is and isn't.