Des Moines, IA
Ewing Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #11 (Taken 6/2009)

1    9/29/2016   10/1/2016
Review By: AHagglund
Pros: 1) Like a lot of Des Moines courses, it is long. I like throwing drivers off the tee and I did so on every hole except one. Deuces are hard to come by and feel earned.
2) Two sets of tees, so the course can be played by players with wildly varying levels of skill.
3) The course seldom takes away your best shot. There are, of course, holes that go left to right and holes that go right to left, but the turns weren't so extreme to force me away from my backhand.
4) clean and well-maintained (really important in Iowa!)
5) It is an unusually long and challenging course to be right smack in the middle of the city.

I'm guessing that if I lived in Des Moines, this would be the main course that I would play; it is conveniently located,it gives the arm a workout, and you don't have to worry about losing discs.
Cons: 1)Lack of a map: Each tee sign shows the location of the next tee, but forget to look and you will often times have a hard time figuring out which direction to go. While navigation isn't bad, there are a couple places where it is not intuitive.
2)Inaccurate tee signs: this drove me nuts. I'm guessing some alternate pin placements were put in after the signs were installed, but it makes things exceptionally confusing on blind holes. Several times I thought I had made a great shot only to find that the basket was either in the other direction or further away than the sign indicated. A course map would fix all of this.
3)No memorable holes. Lots of decent ones, but none that I feel the overwhelming urge to play again. The front nine in particular was not very distinctive.
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth playing, but 4 stars is a bit much in my opinion. It felt like a typical city course with a little extra length and difficulty. I feel that it is the weakest of the 4-star rated DSM area courses (with Pickard clearly the best)

And I can't stress this enough: it would be exceptionally helpful to put in a course map with accurate distances and pin placements!

Different Not Always Better?!?!?

5+    10/20/2015   10/21/2015
Review By: LoewDog
Pros: Good variety of shots in approach, distance, and elevation.
Cons: This used to be my favorite course in Des Moines, but I hate the changes to #2 and #3.

Pars need to be noted!

There needs to be something to direct you to the next pad...just played in Wisconsin and the course spray painted the chain to let you know which way to walk...that would help.

It would also be nice if there was a way to mark basket position on blind tee shot holes.

Crowded more times than not, but that's what you get at a decent course.
Other Thoughts: Still worth playing but could be SSSOOO much better with some simple changes. Looks like they are working on it, so maybe it will get to where it needs to be.

1    4/27/2011   4/28/2011
Review By: happytree290
Pros: Many ways to play each hole, with three baskets, and two tee pads at each hole. Course looks very beautiful.
Cons: Course design leaves something left to be desired. It seemed like there is a lot of wasted space. Especially between 17 and 18.
Other Thoughts: Overall It's a good course to play on. I would definitely play it again, but I just think they could have done more with it than what they did. I like courses that use the space, creatively, and functionally as well.

very nice course in the city

2-4    4/8/2008   9/27/2009
Review By: djphilzy
Pros: nice mix of short/tight and long/bomber holes with beautiful wild life. I saw some deer and met some locals, If I had more time they suggested II should play the other 2 courses in town. I had fun and nearly lost a disc or two which is always interesting.
Cons: The length of fairways where the most challenging part of the course. The mud was bad when playing across the field lowlands (not great drainage).
Other Thoughts: If our in Iowa near Des Moines you should play it.