Belleville, IL
Citizens Park Share
Uploaded By: Brokensaint Hole #5 (Taken 9/2013)
3 / --   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Good Variety of Shots for a Small 9 Holer

5+    10/14/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: dehaas
Pros: Good variety of shots, not your standard wide open with a few small tree 9 hole course. I use a few rhbh straight shots, a few rhbh anhyzers or rhfh shots, a tomahawk, and even a roller on hole 2.

The course also uses the available elevation in the park. There are a few uphill/downhill holes.

I like that there is some OB on the course (road on hole 1, baseball field on a few holes, creek on a few holes, and the pavilion on 9). It adds a bit of challenge to the course.

I've only played it during the day in the middle of the week, so traffic was sparse. With that in mind this park would make for some awesome safari golf.
Cons: There are tee signs at each tee with the hole number posted, but no distances or picture of the hole. The first time I played hole 2 I could see 3's basket and assumed it was what I was throwing towards. Pictures or distances might help with course flow a bit.

Hole 3 is a pretty easy short downhill hyzer around the only tree in the way shot. This basket could be moved a bit further back in between a few trees to make it a bit more challenging.

Hole 9 plays uphill with a large metal swing pretty much in the middle of the fairway. Up the hill further is a pavilion, and tee shots more often than not end up in that vicinity. During the summer when there are other people in the park this hole is going to be pretty much unplayable due to other park traffic.
Other Thoughts: All in all I like this little park a lot. Sure some of the holes could be longer, but not every course can be a par 72 gold level layout. For a beginner course there is elevation and a variety of shots. New players will have to learn a few different shots to shoot well. This is a good course to bring a bag of just putters and mids and work on your short game.

I would play this course a lot more often if I lived a bit closer, but I have 4-5 other courses that I can get to faster than this one.

As another review mentioned, there looks to be some more land in this park over near hole 7. If the pavilion on 9 becomes a problem maybe another hole could be added in that area and 8 could be lengthened a bit.

New Course for Innovation

2-4    10/6/2013   10/10/2013
Review By: KoenigStern
Pros: -Plenty of obstacles that call for variations of shots
-Varied elevations to make shot selection interesting
-Not too much traffic in the park itself [at least when I played]
-Beautiful park
-Nice baskets [for some, I particularly hate the "chastity belt".
Cons: -Fairly short holes, not distance-friendly
-First-timers may not know what basket their shooting for
-Hole two is seemingly impossible to birdie, let alone, ace.
-Hole 9 has a swinging bench to the right of the fairway.
-There is a baseball field in play of about 7 of the holes, if you throw over, you're either climbing a shaky fence or walking a mile around to the dugout.
-Creek behind 5 makes it hard to fetch disc in event of overthrow.
Other Thoughts: I was excited about this course when I saw the course page on DGCR. There aren't too many courses around where I live, and I've grown bored of the courses that are around. I did like this course, however, the holes may have been poorly planned. The park is a bit small, but I was playing with a guy and we were pointing out other options they could have gone with. There is another side of the park which may spell for more holes or a possible reconfiguration. If they would adjust the tee of hole 9, it would be a great hole. Hole 2 has a line of trees that makes for a tiny window to get your disc anywhere near the hole. Not as much of an issue, but hole 1 plays over a fenced off road. For holes 5 and 7, they could stand to put a make-shift bridge across the ditches to make fetching your shanks easier. overall, I'm relatively pleased with this course. It's a 20 minute drive for me, but worth it. I hope that they play on expanding the course and maybe moving around the tees to make some shots more reasonable. If you're in the area, definitely give the course a try. But not worth a special trip to play, unless you've traveled to play a nearby course.