Walnut Creek, CA
Walden Park Share
Uploaded By: cboucher Hole #9 (Taken 12/2013)

Short, fun course

1    12/14/2014   12/17/2014
Review By: mdegs
Pros: Nice, highly visible baskets. Great signage and good flow (with the exception of 8). It's nice to have more courses in the Bay Area, even short 9-hole courses. This course will be good for new players, and I saw a lot of different demographics out there enjoying the course. (Grow the sport!) A few fun shots and good safari potential if no one's out there.
Cons: Constrained by private property on one side and a walking trail on two more sides, this course makes the most of limited space. But there is not a lot of variety and there's a risk of wayward drives landing on other fairways. You will need a driver on one or two holes, and you'd probably be fine with 4-6 discs total.
Other Thoughts: I am happy to play any course within an hour, and I enjoyed my morning out at Walden, but don't see myself playing here regularly. If you lived equidistant between here and Moraga, or here and Benicia (etc.), you would not play here too often.

Good neighborhood course

2-4    9/6/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Fntsygamr
Pros: There really are not too many "pro" mentions for this course. It takes up the back half of a neighborhood park. Good for practice with your mid or putter. Baskets are in great condition. Quiet park setting. Mostly away from park foot traffic. Hard to lose your plastic here.
Cons: Small course. No big arms need play here. There is no need to bring a driver, unless you want to work on some hyzer / anhyzer shots. Bring a putter and a mid, you will be good. There can be some stray people that venture through the playing area to get to the bike / walking trail, so you will have to be careful. Hole #8 plays through a few other holes as well. You will need to keep your eye out for the other discers on the course.
Other Thoughts: If you passing through the area on your way elsewhere, then I would say stop and play at least once. My brother-in-law and I were along for the ride while my wife and mom went to shop in the nearby area. We were able to throw 36 holes in about 1.5 - 2 hours. There seemed to be a rush on the course in the later morning, early afternoon, but that came and went. Met up with a few locals who showed us some alternate ways to play the course as well. You can very much safari almost every hole. Just need to make sure you aren't throwing into another group before you do so. If I were in the area again, I would come back to play.

Wasn't BJ Honeycutt From Walnut Creek?

1    6/22/2014   7/10/2014
Pros: I witnessed an 80 year old lady playing this course, with an man, who I have to assume is her husband. Or it could be her date? The good news is I finally have found someone on a course that I can ABSOLUTELY beat! I might even have to spot her a few strokes.

Walden Park is a nice little city park with a undeveloped area in the back. Much of the course plays through this area. The course has a small rules sign and map at the start.
it has nice new colored tee signs with all the pertinent information needed on them. They have the A--B basket positions which are indicated with a red screw. The signs also have the basket number on the back. This helps in the navigation. The baskets are orange DGA models with a big number on top.
The tee pads are hexagon shaped patio blocks filled in with dirt and then bordered with 4" x 4"s.
Walden Park DGC plays as an easy recreational level course with holes ranging from 190' to 305'.
Cons: Holes # 8 crosses over # 6, # 7 and # 9. Probably not the safest route but everyone is in sight and you'd have to be real careless to nail someone. There were other groups on the course when I played.
Not necessarily a challenging course.

Other Thoughts: Solid, fun course is a lovely little park. Kind of a weird design with the 8th hole criss-crossing three others although I kinda doubt whether that's ever a problem. I have to give props to the designers for squeezing 9 decent sized holes into this small area. If I lived around here, I'd be a regular.

A Small Walk in the Walnuts

1    10/19/2013   10/22/2013
Review By: Magiken
Pros:
Easy to find and navigate with a map or the tee signs
Great tee signage
Nice little park (basketball, walking/biking trails, jungle gym) with restrooms and water
Par is very attainable
Tees are decent
Brand new Mach 5 baskets in the lovely orange color
Cons:
Parking lot is a bit small but there is street parking (not a big deal)
Course is very tight with people and structures in play
Holes are a bit criss-crossy in spots
Tips:
Bring a map
Go as early as possible to avoid people traffic

Random Thoughts:
I'm quite thrilled to have another course in the East Bay and it is nice to see a course in a clean area of a park versus the backwoods. I can also see that a lot of love went into the construction of this course. The baskets and tee signs are fantastic. The tees, I'm going to say, are just ok. They are built using some kind of formed blocks, with rock fill to even them out, which is fine, except the fill is missing in some small spots making you think a bit about your steps. I imagine with everything filled in, this is a non-issue, so this is probably a problem that will go away. As for the course, it's a fairly small course with a decent variety of throws and good use of the trees as obstacles. As the distances tend to hover in the ~250' range, there are birdies and aces out there to be had, so I find the scoring to be extremely fair. I also notice that most of the holes have alternate basket placements to keep things interesting on repeat visits. I think you'll also be tempted to call this a good beginner course, but I'd take some caution with that assessment. The surrounding neighborhood butts right up against the park so you can quite easily sail your disk over a fence into a private area. More importantly, the non-disc park attendees are definitely in play. If you're not careful, you can hit someone quite easily. It's also quite easy to hit your fellow discers due to the tightness of the layout. So if you're going to bring a beginner out, I'd suggest targeting an early morning weekday. I would actually suggest that anyway as I'm sure you'll enjoy the round more with fewer distractions.

Bottom Line:
This is a good short/technical course that makes good use of an unused space in a nice park located in a nice area. It is also a welcome addition to the East Bay arsenal. I'm looking forward to playing it again.