Lawrence, KS
Centennial Park Share
Uploaded By: Angiemoe   (Taken 12/2008)
Between Holes 12 and 13.

A fair course

1    7/14/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: Mfrench
Pros: Multiple pins, park in great condition, variety of holes.
Cons: Layout and lack of signage. Bring a map and it won't be bad to manage.
Other Thoughts: They really need tee signs to bring this to a top course. The water fountain wasn't working during a heatwave.

1    10/4/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: kevinmzane
Pros: There are easily accessible restrooms here and trash cans at several points throughout the park. This course has a lot of small hills and elevation changes in this park that come into play often as well as a creek. There are multiple pin placements and long concrete tee pads. There were many hole designs that I really enjoyed, especially 13 with the downhill shot past the skate park over the creek. There were a few risky putts on the edge of the creek/woods. I had a some trouble, but a lot of fun with the low ceilings I don't really come across much on my local courses. 7 was a nice one for that with the low, long downhill ending over the creek.
Cons: The navigation here was difficult, luckily there is a relatively accurate map for this course on here I was able to follow on my phone because there were none at the start of the course. Some of the fairways run parallel to each other and might present a problem on busier days here. Some tee pads are uncomfortably close to other holes' baskets where on some others are quite far, and could be difficult to find without help. The worst of these were where you must backtrack the length of 11 to get to 12 (which is on the other side of 10), to get to hole 3 you need to cross to the other side of 14 and 7 and to get to the parking lot from 18 you cross the blind spot of fairway #1. Be prepared and print a map or find a local your first time here.
All of the baskets were numbered, unfortunately most of the numbers are facing away from the tee pad. I made it all the way to the basket on one hole before I realized it was the wrong one.
Other Thoughts: A little bit of TLC, some tee signs and maybe moving a few things around and this could easily be a much better course.
Although the flow and navigation issues aren't at all necessary and could have been easily avoided, it is still fun to play and this will be one I look forward to playing again while passing through. I have not played any other Lawrence courses, but I have heard that this is the best in town.

Locals Only-the rest will get lost

2-4    6/10/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: Plenty of elevation changes. If you're not throwing up or down a hill you're lost again. Fun and challenging.

Great course for a local since each hole has 3 possible basket placements and once you know the course, it is a lot more fun.
Cons: Zero signage, difficult to follow layout, repetitive uphill tunnel shots. It was rather depressing to play an uphill tunnel shot on 4, then walk to 5, play another one, then WALK DOWNHILL to 6 to throw yet another one. 7 is a downhill tunnel shot, then 8 and 10 are both uphill canopied shots.

Extremely dense trees...I thought they were supposed to be 90% air. These ones are 100% branches...nothing goes through them.

A long hike. You really feel like you've had some exercise by the time you're done with a round.
Other Thoughts: I had to laugh when I saw the below review describing this as a "recreational/intermediate course." I typically shoot below par, at least posted par if not pro par, on most courses. I shot a +8 and a +4 here. Granted, I didn't know the course and the pins all seemed to be in the longest possible orientation, but still....hardly a beginner course. I only shot 3 birdies total in 2 rounds. Expect a challenge.

Unfortunately, much of the challenge involves orienteering and hiking. I went with a local (granted who had lived elsewhere for a couple years before returning with me) and we had to ask directions 3 times to the next tee. We had one hole where we played all the way down to the basket only to discover it wasn't the basket for the hole we thought we were on.

There is one shot you absolutely must master to score well on this course. It is the 300 foot uphill drive that never goes higher than 8 feet above the ground. It seems like that shot (which I don't currently have) was required on far too many holes.

The "big bomb" holes are disappointing in that you can't actually bomb them. You have to either go over the canopy (50-60 feet despite the fact that the holes descends 80) or throw a roller. Kind of a bummer to climb way up a hill, and then realize you don't get to watch your disc fly down because you have to throw a roller to have any chance at making par on the hole. Blah...

I liked the first hole, although I confess to taking a 6 on it the first time. 13, of course, is a classic, although it is a little hard to enjoy due to having to yell fore since the teepad for 14 is far easier to get to than the basket on 13.

Hey locals-- Buy some tee signs. This is the only course I've ever been to that didn't have a single one. Also, consider another set of baskets or another set of tee pads. This course could be a destination course, all it needs is a little money and a little work thrown at it.

Fun downhill bombs, but you may find Waldo before finding the next tee.

5+    4/20/2010   5/8/2010
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Scenic park. Decent intermediate to recreational level course with multiple positions. Has good albeit not great elevation changes. The big thing at Centennial are its varying uphill/downhill holes, especially the big bomb on 13 over the creek. Mostly park golf, but enough woods to keep you honest on some of the holes up at the north end. Plenty of amenities nearby.
Cons: Bad flow. As what been mentioned before me, this course is an orientation nightmare. There is no signage, and where you think the next tee logically would be, well it often isn't. You head towards both the north and sound ends of the park twice. Several parallel fairways (2 & 14, 5 & 6, 3 & 7, 15 & 16) where you can easily put an errant throw into the fairway of the people next to you, or mistakenly walk into it if you don't know where you're going. A lot of backtracking. A few holes (11 & 17) cut close to busy streets. Short positions are well...short and not all that fun. Multi-use park, watch for non-players around the skate park and shelters.
Other Thoughts: Nearing twenty years old, Centennial is starting to show its age in regards to the latest disc technology. Advanced players will be crushing some of the shorter holes for birdies. (although I didn't see to many of the course's short positions in play while here), but its still a fun play that I'd gladly hit again, and may be your only option if Riverfront is swampy and the Clinton Lake courses are overgrown. Crowds here can vary depending on when you show up. If you're going to be visiting Lawrence and want to play this, I cannot stress enough to print out a map. Not a must play, but the best venue in town.

Love those Lawrence Hills

4/16/2008   4/16/2008
Review By: gravedigger
Pros: Huge park. Lots of hills and narrow passageways to add challenge.
Cons: Navigating is tough if you don't know the course. A few boring holes.
Other Thoughts: Good luck trying to navigate, I still don't think I'm playing the right 18.