Lawrence, KS
Centennial Park Share
Uploaded By: Erocx345 Hole #13 (Taken 5/2009)
Hole #13 Tee: Elevated tee box and downhill fairway. Basket (circled) is beyond the creek.

Fun - If you know where to go

5+    6/11/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: sipplry
Pros: Lots of down hill tee shots, allowing you to use several different shots.
Cons: There are lots of areas on the course that are muddy alot of the time. Course can be crowded in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course is rather short, relying on trees to make it more challenging. Definitely worth your time to play if you're in town.

5+    3/8/2013   3/23/2013
Review By: BlackAceKiller
Pros: The course has a nice variety of holes. A couple over a small creek, up and down hills, flat, through trees and my person favorite over (really more beside) a skate park.
Very well maintained. No super tall grass, or overgrown bushes.
The course is challenging but not impossible. A great course to work on improving your skills.
Cons: The first time playing you can get a little lost trying to find tee spots and baskets. The second time is much easier.
Can be crowded and have to wait your turn on the longer holes. Most people let you play through.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course. I live just a mile away and play it as often as I can and it never gets old.
I have never lost a disc, and it is not because I've never had a bad throw, it is pretty easy to fine because the park is well maintained.

Fantastic if you know where to go

5+    7/13/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: bigreddog
This review was updated on 5/23/2016
Pros: There is a great mix of openness on holes, but there aren't any that are completely wide open or ridiculously wooded. 10/10

Most holes have three alternate hole positions, and there are pretty big differences in the hole positions, affecting distance and direction of the holes fairly drastically. The baskets are also changed pretty frequently, which makes this a great course for playing often and it never gets boring no matter how much you play. New alternate positions were added last year on holes 2, 5, 9, and 10. 10/10

At the same time, there are a few holes like that do force certain shot paths to be successful. 8/10

There isn't a ton of elevation compared to some of the KC courses like Water Works or Swope or Blue Valley, but there's still quite a bit, and it's used very well with lots of variety between uphill, downhill, sidehill etc. 8/10

Obstacles are used very well, they bring challenges to at least one of the shots on each hole (either drive or approach) without making any of them impossible. 9/10

I've been dozens of times and it's always been well mowed. There is running water a couple of places along the course and restrooms after hole 12 (which comes back to the parking lot) There are several benches along the course, not on every hole, but at least every three. The only complaints I have with course maintenance are the mud on the tee hole 4 and the weeds around the creek not being trimmed as frequently as they could be. 8/10

Great baskets. Tees are concrete, which is good, but a couple in the lower lying areas have a bit of mud on them. 9/10

Several holes have options for how to play them successfully, the course really lets you throw every shot in the bag. 7/10

Forested regions make it not the easiest to find discs, but it's not nearly as bad as some courses and there is no knee/waist high grass anywhere that the disc can burrow into. 8/10
Cons: Navigation between holes is pretty bad the first time. There is a map which is somewhat helpful on the first tee, and the course is frequented by locals who can help you out 3/10, but shouldn't warrant lowering the course rating to a 1 or 2 overall... plus it's fine after the first time playing.

Navigation on the actual holes isn't the best either. There are no tee signs, only numbers on the pads telling you what hole the tee is for. Bright orange nickels on top now show basket numbers. There aren't too many blind holes, but a few are close to each other (2 and 14 are close, and so are 3 and 7). 3/10

It's more crowded than most courses, but it's not like you're waiting on every hole or anything.

The gravel around the baskets can be annoying at times with the skips, but it helps keep the areas around the baskets from getting muddy after rain.

Holes 11-12 make up the only section of the course that's sort of "eh...", they feel sort of crammed in and are only there to connect from hole 10 to 13 and fit in 18 holes.
Other Thoughts: I'm a big fan of forested regions used as hazards more than individual trees all over the place or tall grass. I've played ball golf for a long time so I guess I just like the open lanes for fairways on most holes with larger areas that you need to avoid with your misses. It helps give the course the ability to challenge all levels of disc golfers. This was the first course I ever played, and I didn't find it to be impossible at any point, but with some individual trees, the course can provide all levels with a challenge.

I go to school at KU, and it's a great course to play over and over again, fun every time even if you go frequently, and that's a big part of why I rated it so high.

I think this is a fantastic course that gets pretty severely underrated by people who only played it once and got frustrated with the navigation. I know we aren't supposed to comment on other reviews, but I just feel the need to point out that pretty much all of the low reviews are by people who only played the course once.

hippies and their hills

1    10/13/2011   2/8/2012
Review By: Natedoog
Pros: challenging, hills add great height variations, trees add fun obstacles. plus the blind shots make for a great way to start the course off
Cons: I hate the fact it takes at least a week to dry after a rain. would love some signage to see where pin placements are.
Other Thoughts: Kind of cool this is the only course with a giant missle on it.

A fair course

1    7/14/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: Mfrench
Pros: Multiple pins, park in great condition, variety of holes.
Cons: Layout and lack of signage. Bring a map and it won't be bad to manage.
Other Thoughts: They really need tee signs to bring this to a top course. The water fountain wasn't working during a heatwave.

NICE!

1    7/12/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: Dirt4dinner
Pros: A little bit of EVERYTHING! Great layout, great scenery, tight shots turning left and right and a couple long open bomber holes.
Cons: No complaints from me on this one. I really enjoyed it!
Other Thoughts: I hit up the Tuesday night league while in town on business and had a great time. Pretty small turnout, but a fun group.

1    10/4/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: kevinmzane
Pros: There are easily accessible restrooms here and trash cans at several points throughout the park. This course has a lot of small hills and elevation changes in this park that come into play often as well as a creek. There are multiple pin placements and long concrete tee pads. There were many hole designs that I really enjoyed, especially 13 with the downhill shot past the skate park over the creek. There were a few risky putts on the edge of the creek/woods. I had a some trouble, but a lot of fun with the low ceilings I don't really come across much on my local courses. 7 was a nice one for that with the low, long downhill ending over the creek.
Cons: The navigation here was difficult, luckily there is a relatively accurate map for this course on here I was able to follow on my phone because there were none at the start of the course. Some of the fairways run parallel to each other and might present a problem on busier days here. Some tee pads are uncomfortably close to other holes' baskets where on some others are quite far, and could be difficult to find without help. The worst of these were where you must backtrack the length of 11 to get to 12 (which is on the other side of 10), to get to hole 3 you need to cross to the other side of 14 and 7 and to get to the parking lot from 18 you cross the blind spot of fairway #1. Be prepared and print a map or find a local your first time here.
All of the baskets were numbered, unfortunately most of the numbers are facing away from the tee pad. I made it all the way to the basket on one hole before I realized it was the wrong one.
Other Thoughts: A little bit of TLC, some tee signs and maybe moving a few things around and this could easily be a much better course.
Although the flow and navigation issues aren't at all necessary and could have been easily avoided, it is still fun to play and this will be one I look forward to playing again while passing through. I have not played any other Lawrence courses, but I have heard that this is the best in town.

Challenging, Fun

1    9/5/2010   9/9/2010
Review By: parrothead8
Pros: Not too crowded, a good mix of wide open and narrow tree-lined holes. Slightly hilly, a good workout.
Cons: A little difficult to figure out where the first few holes were.
Other Thoughts: This course gets some bad reviews because of its "lack" of markings. A group of four novices figured it out pretty easily the first time we played it, especially once we noticed the arrows painted on the base of each hole that pointed towards the next tee.

2 and a half hour journey

1    7/19/2010   8/12/2010
Review By: JDMcNugent
Pros: Clean, well cut and trimmed, concrete pads
Cons: baskets not marked at all. there were holes we had to walk all the way to a basket to see the number and then try and figure out from there where the tee off might be, lol! the placement made no sense and then the last couple holes are just open field back and forth
Other Thoughts: definitely beats river trails! lol

Locals Only-the rest will get lost

2-4    6/10/2010   6/13/2010
Review By: SomeChump
Pros: Plenty of elevation changes. If you're not throwing up or down a hill you're lost again. Fun and challenging.

Great course for a local since each hole has 3 possible basket placements and once you know the course, it is a lot more fun.
Cons: Zero signage, difficult to follow layout, repetitive uphill tunnel shots. It was rather depressing to play an uphill tunnel shot on 4, then walk to 5, play another one, then WALK DOWNHILL to 6 to throw yet another one. 7 is a downhill tunnel shot, then 8 and 10 are both uphill canopied shots.

Extremely dense trees...I thought they were supposed to be 90% air. These ones are 100% branches...nothing goes through them.

A long hike. You really feel like you've had some exercise by the time you're done with a round.
Other Thoughts: I had to laugh when I saw the below review describing this as a "recreational/intermediate course." I typically shoot below par, at least posted par if not pro par, on most courses. I shot a +8 and a +4 here. Granted, I didn't know the course and the pins all seemed to be in the longest possible orientation, but still....hardly a beginner course. I only shot 3 birdies total in 2 rounds. Expect a challenge.

Unfortunately, much of the challenge involves orienteering and hiking. I went with a local (granted who had lived elsewhere for a couple years before returning with me) and we had to ask directions 3 times to the next tee. We had one hole where we played all the way down to the basket only to discover it wasn't the basket for the hole we thought we were on.

There is one shot you absolutely must master to score well on this course. It is the 300 foot uphill drive that never goes higher than 8 feet above the ground. It seems like that shot (which I don't currently have) was required on far too many holes.

The "big bomb" holes are disappointing in that you can't actually bomb them. You have to either go over the canopy (50-60 feet despite the fact that the holes descends 80) or throw a roller. Kind of a bummer to climb way up a hill, and then realize you don't get to watch your disc fly down because you have to throw a roller to have any chance at making par on the hole. Blah...

I liked the first hole, although I confess to taking a 6 on it the first time. 13, of course, is a classic, although it is a little hard to enjoy due to having to yell fore since the teepad for 14 is far easier to get to than the basket on 13.

Hey locals-- Buy some tee signs. This is the only course I've ever been to that didn't have a single one. Also, consider another set of baskets or another set of tee pads. This course could be a destination course, all it needs is a little money and a little work thrown at it.