Lawrence, KS
Centennial Park Share
Uploaded By: Erocx345 Hole #17 (Taken 5/2009)

< Prev 1 2 3

1    7/4/2014   7/6/2014
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: This is a very pretty course set over a large park on the north end of Lawrence. The lay of the land seems to lend itself well to DG, and the layout never gets boring or unimaginative.

Not every hole is a huge challenge, but that's not a bad thing. I especially like the risk/reward where the baskets were placed very close to the little dry creek bed, making you decide whether to layup or make a run at the basket. Nice touch!

Anyone who has ever visited the KU campus here knows how hilly Lawrence is, especially for being in Kansas. This course is no exception. Lots of elevation changes keep things interesting, and the course has used them well.

While I can't say there were any overly memorable holes here, there weren't any that I just didn't like or thought were badly designed. I left feeling it was worth the hour drive I made to get here. Good amount of right-to-left and elevation usage here.

I realize this isn't as big a deal outside KC, but the surrounding neighborhood was perfectly fine and safe (at least it looked that way). Plenty of gas stations/fast food nearby if you're in the mood.

Course was very clean, neat, and picked up. Looks like the people that play here care and work hard to keep it clean and tidy. Good job!

Super friendly locals that helped guide me through basically the whole course, even as I was in my KSU hat. Thanks!!

Ample parking at the top of the course, along with nice bathrooms. I did see a couple water fountains out there, but it was fairly cool when I played so I didn't avail myself.

Not a lot of lost disc opportunities here. There isn't a whole lot of brush or overgrown areas, so you'll probably not lose anything.
Cons: Not to beat a dead horse, but holy lack of signage Batman! There is ZERO signage on this course -- no maps, no markers, no arrows pointing to the next tee, no signs at the tees, nothing. Just some faded numbers painted on the tee pads. There are also several areas where navigation is not intuitive (8-13 comes to mind), so were it not for following behind other players and the friendly locals, I wouldn't have even finished my round.

Baskets are a bit on the small side, compared to what I'm used to. There's also no flags or markers on top of them and they're not very brightly colored, so they can be easy to miss.

The lack of lost disc opportunities is nice, but on the flip side, there aren't quite the well-defined fairways that I like to see on a course either. That's kind of a push either way, but I've seen courses without tons of brush pull this off (Wyandotte County).

There's not a lot of creature comforts around, although I didn't really ding for that at all in my rating. Just be aware if you like big comfy benches and bag hangers, there aren't any.

A few holes do play close to one another, such as the pads for 3 and 7 being basically right next to each other. Again, going from 2-3 is a hike up the hill towards the playground, and there's no way I would have found it without the couple in front of me leading the way.
Other Thoughts: This nice course is at the corner of 6th & Iowa in Lawrence. From JoCo/LS, take K-10, turn right on Iowa, then left on 40 Highway/6th Street. It's right there on your left -- you'll see the sign for Centennial Park. Look for the missile.

The starting pad is on the south side of the parking lot, opposite the end of the missile. I just saved you the 10 minutes I wasted wandering around!

Bottom line is, this would be an easy 3.5 with signage. I only docked it .5 because I do recognize that next time I play here, it won't be a hindrance. However, it really does make it maddening for new players, and I've seen much worse courses than this one at least throw up some signs. It's still very much worth the play, and I would recommend it if you're in the area!

Great for beginners

5+    4/11/2011   6/1/2014
Review By: chaddyboy_2000
Pros: This is a great course for introducing people to the sport, as almost every hole is wide open.

The concrete tees are great, and multiple pin locations help to give the course some variety when the baskets move.

Good use of terrain, as you get a few fun bomb shots from the top of hills!

There is also a picnic area here with restrooms, which is a convenience many courses don't have.
Cons: The course is fairly boring for people with more experience, as the openness of every hole means it really doesn't matter where you chuck it. You could have the worst shot ever and it really doesn't matter at all since you'll still land in mowed grass. For the most part, the course is a giant field of mowed grass with a few scattered trees in it.

Due to the openness, there's not a huge shot variety here either. A couple times, you'll need to stay out of some woods that line the edge of the course, or stay out of a creek bed that runs through the course, so you may have to switch up your shot to avoid a fade into these areas. However, overall, you can throw however you'd like.
Other Thoughts: Good intro course.

Beautiful Course, Great People

2-4    10/1/2013   10/2/2013
Review By: constantlyej
This review was updated on 12/17/2013
Pros: It is a very well kept and clean course with access to two restrooms. It has elevation changes that top most courses in the area. The people who play at Centennial Park are just downright good people- I've yet to run into anyone who was not courteous and careful- which is pretty important on this course as there are a few holes where you are forced to cross paths with others.

The pea-gravel around the baskets are a nice touch. It keeps the ground around the baskets from getting muddy like the majority of courses... and it also will help a long approach shot sit down and stick (it helps a newbie, and makes a vet have a little bit of comfort in taking bigger risks).

There are a few ace-run opportunities here, and a few long bomb shots. This course can be a bit tricky if the wind is blowing, but every hole is a manageable par.

My wife and I love to play this course together. She has really become more confident since she began playing here compared to some other courses we've played.

This is by far the nicest course in Lawrence.
Cons: The baskets are a bit smaller than Innova Discatchers, but I have found it makes my putting better when I go back to the larger baskets.

This course is not the most intuitive layout, but it's not impossible to navigate as long as you keep your head up and look around a little.

After you finish hole 18, you have to kind of peek around the tree-line to get back to the parking lot... if you aren't careful, someone teeing off on on #1 won't be able to see you until you are in the danger zone.
Other Thoughts: Lawrence is just a great place. Period. The atmosphere of the community, along with the skatepark that the course is built around makes this course a fun place.

If you get the chance to play Centennial Park, you'll have a good time.

Fun - If you know where to go

5+    6/11/2013   6/20/2013
Review By: sipplry
Pros: Lots of down hill tee shots, allowing you to use several different shots.
Cons: There are lots of areas on the course that are muddy alot of the time. Course can be crowded in the summer.
Other Thoughts: Overall the course is rather short, relying on trees to make it more challenging. Definitely worth your time to play if you're in town.

5+    3/8/2013   3/23/2013
Review By: BlackAceKiller
Pros: The course has a nice variety of holes. A couple over a small creek, up and down hills, flat, through trees and my person favorite over (really more beside) a skate park.
Very well maintained. No super tall grass, or overgrown bushes.
The course is challenging but not impossible. A great course to work on improving your skills.
Cons: The first time playing you can get a little lost trying to find tee spots and baskets. The second time is much easier.
Can be crowded and have to wait your turn on the longer holes. Most people let you play through.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course. I live just a mile away and play it as often as I can and it never gets old.
I have never lost a disc, and it is not because I've never had a bad throw, it is pretty easy to fine because the park is well maintained.

Fantastic if you know where to go

5+    7/13/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: bigreddog
This review was updated on 9/2/2012
Pros: There is a great mix of openness on holes, but there aren't any that are completely wide open or ridiculously wooded. 10/10

At the same time, there are a few holes like that do force certain shot paths to be successful. 8/10

There isn't a ton of elevation compared to some of the KC courses like Water Works or Swope or Blue Valley, but there's still quite a bit, and it's used very well with lots of variety between uphill, downhill, sidehill etc. 10/10

Obstacles are used very well, they bring challenges to at least one of the shots on each hole (either drive or approach) without making any of them impossible. 10/10

Most holes have three alternate hole positions on each hole, and unlike some courses there are pretty big differences in the hole positions, affecting distance and direction of the holes fairly drastically. The baskets are also changed pretty frequently, which makes this a great course for playing often and it never gets boring no matter how much you play. 9/10

I've been at least ten times and it's always been well mowed. There is running water a couple of places along the course and restrooms after hole 12 (which comes back to the parking lot) There are several benches along the course, not on every hole, but at least every three. The only complaint I have with course maintenance is with some of the mud on the tees. 9/10

Tees are concrete, which is good, but a couple in the lower lying areas have a bit of mud on them. 8/10

Several holes have options for how to play them successfully, the course really lets you throw every shot in the bag. 7/10

Forested regions make it not the easiest to find discs, but it's not nearly as bad as some courses and there is no knee/waist high grass anywhere. that the disc can burrow into, plus it's not nearly as uncomfortable to search for them. 6/10
Cons: Navigation between holes is pretty bad the first time, but with a map, a friend who has played here before, or some help some locals it's not too bad. There is a map which is somewhat helpful on the first tee 2/10, but shouldn't warrant lowering the course rating to a 1 or 2 overall... plus it's fine after the first time playing.

Navigation on the actual holes isn't the best. There are no tee signs, only numbers on the pads telling you what hole the tee is for. There aren't too many blind holes, but a few are close to each other (2 and 14 are close, and so are 3 and 7). 3/10

Baskets are great, but the concrete within a few feet around them is tough because it makes great approaches skid while decent ones don't and end up better. 4/10

It's more crowded than most of the courses I've been to depending on when you go, but it's not like you're waiting on every hole or anything. 3/10

Holes 10-12 make up the only section of the course that's sort of "eh...", they feel sort of crammed in and are only there to connect from hole 9 to 13 and fit in 18 holes.
Other Thoughts: I'm a big fan of forested regions used as hazards more than individual trees all over the place or tall grass. I've played ball golf for a long time so I guess I just like the open lanes for fairways on most holes with larger areas that you need to avoid with your misses. It helps give the course the ability to challenge all levels of disc golfers. This was the first course I ever played, and I didn't find it to be impossible at any point, but with some individual trees, the course can provide all levels with a challenge.

I go to school at KU, and it's a great course to play over and over again, fun every time even if you go frequently, and that's a big part of why I rated it so high.

I think this is a fantastic course that gets pretty severely underrated by people who only played it once and got frustrated with the navigation. I know we aren't supposed to comment on other reviews, but I just feel the need to point out that pretty much all of the low reviews are by people who only played the course once.

hippies and their hills

1    10/13/2011   2/8/2012
Review By: Natedoog
Pros: challenging, hills add great height variations, trees add fun obstacles. plus the blind shots make for a great way to start the course off
Cons: I hate the fact it takes at least a week to dry after a rain. would love some signage to see where pin placements are.
Other Thoughts: Kind of cool this is the only course with a giant missle on it.

A fair course

1    7/14/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: Mfrench
Pros: Multiple pins, park in great condition, variety of holes.
Cons: Layout and lack of signage. Bring a map and it won't be bad to manage.
Other Thoughts: They really need tee signs to bring this to a top course. The water fountain wasn't working during a heatwave.

NICE!

1    7/12/2011   7/13/2011
Review By: Dirt4dinner
Pros: A little bit of EVERYTHING! Great layout, great scenery, tight shots turning left and right and a couple long open bomber holes.
Cons: No complaints from me on this one. I really enjoyed it!
Other Thoughts: I hit up the Tuesday night league while in town on business and had a great time. Pretty small turnout, but a fun group.

1    10/4/2010   10/4/2010
Review By: kevinmzane
Pros: There are easily accessible restrooms here and trash cans at several points throughout the park. This course has a lot of small hills and elevation changes in this park that come into play often as well as a creek. There are multiple pin placements and long concrete tee pads. There were many hole designs that I really enjoyed, especially 13 with the downhill shot past the skate park over the creek. There were a few risky putts on the edge of the creek/woods. I had a some trouble, but a lot of fun with the low ceilings I don't really come across much on my local courses. 7 was a nice one for that with the low, long downhill ending over the creek.
Cons: The navigation here was difficult, luckily there is a relatively accurate map for this course on here I was able to follow on my phone because there were none at the start of the course. Some of the fairways run parallel to each other and might present a problem on busier days here. Some tee pads are uncomfortably close to other holes' baskets where on some others are quite far, and could be difficult to find without help. The worst of these were where you must backtrack the length of 11 to get to 12 (which is on the other side of 10), to get to hole 3 you need to cross to the other side of 14 and 7 and to get to the parking lot from 18 you cross the blind spot of fairway #1. Be prepared and print a map or find a local your first time here.
All of the baskets were numbered, unfortunately most of the numbers are facing away from the tee pad. I made it all the way to the basket on one hole before I realized it was the wrong one.
Other Thoughts: A little bit of TLC, some tee signs and maybe moving a few things around and this could easily be a much better course.
Although the flow and navigation issues aren't at all necessary and could have been easily avoided, it is still fun to play and this will be one I look forward to playing again while passing through. I have not played any other Lawrence courses, but I have heard that this is the best in town.

< Prev 1 2 3