Redmond, OR
Coyotes Den DGC Share
Uploaded By: ballardthedome Hole #5 (Taken 11/2014)

Not Much Fun...

1    6/19/2015   6/22/2015
Review By: Fletcher
Pros: The views are nice, and it's one of only a handful of courses in the area. The shots with elevation are fun.
Cons: Despite having to pay $3 to play, the course does little to earn players' money. There's no signage at the teepads other than hole number, no maps available at the kiosk, poorly maintained gravel teepads, unmarked pin positions, and a layout that feels disjointed, and poorly designed.
Other Thoughts: I was visiting Sisters for the week, and thought I'd play somewhere other than Hyzer Pines. I made the drive out to Crooked River Ranch, paid $3 for me, and another $3 for my partner. There were no maps available at the unmanned kiosk, so we started playing using the google map that's linked to on the course page on DGCR. We realized on hole one that the map was outdated, as the basket was easily 250 feet farther from the tee than the map indicated. We continued on, but honestly, we didn't have a lot of fun. If you can overlook the rough terrain, sandy hillsides, and the unmowed cheatgrass you might have a good time. However, My partner and I felt the course just wasn't very fun. Many of the holes are needlessly long, and probably very frustrating for newer players. This course doesn't have well defined fairways, just dirt, cheatgrass, sagebrush, and impenetrable junipers. There's little shade on the course so come prepared with water and sunscreen.

After seeing the 3.25 rating, I came expecting a good course. I left feeling my time would have been better spent elsewhere. If I had to do it again, I'd play the course first, and decide afterward if a donation was worth it. Hopefully my $6 actually goes toward course improvements because this course needs a lot of work.

Great start

2-4    11/28/2014   11/28/2014
Review By: ballardthedome
Pros: Breathtaking setting in the Crooked River Gorge.
Nice new baskets, in a bright orange that makes them very easy to see from the tee areas.
Good use of elevation changes.
Multiple tee pads on many holes for beginners/more advanced players.
Challenging shots, great overall distance for the course, doesn't feel like many "duplicate" holes, each have a unique feel.
Nice benches.
Cons: Dirt teepads are in a decent shape right now, but are already showing "pitting" at the front end.
No tee signs.
No distances given for the holes.
No garbage cans.
Some teepads difficult to find.
Other Thoughts: Great start to this course. It could easily be a 4 or 4.5 rated course by adding concrete teepads, good tee signs and some better directional signs for next tees (look for the yellow flags on the bushes to signal your way to the next teepad right now).
There is potential here for an amazing "top of the world shot". There is a rock outcropping up the hill from hole 10 that looked like it would work great (of course, not sure if whomever controls the land there would allow it).
Loved playing this course.

Coyote's Den

1    11/9/2013   11/14/2013
Review By: WilsonSandersDavis
-Beautiful setting in the Crooked River Valley offering a full 18 hole course in central Oregon.
-Bathrooms and garbage cans in parking lot.
-Nice sign at the beginning of the course with map, score cards, and practice basket.
-Flags are set up in between holes for easy navigation if you don't know the course.
-Great variety of shots from 190 to 664 foot holes with enjoyable elevation changes.
-Nice, easy to see Kingpin baskets.
-Some holes have multiple tee pads.
-Very little undergrowth, besides the Sage brush and Juniper trees, makes it easy to find discs.
-Tee pads are gravel.
-Part of the course has a mountain bike track.
-No signage at tee pads, so once this course is played more the flags in between holes might disappear making it harder to navigate.
I thought this was a great course. Very fun to play. The gravel tee pads are not that bad, level with nice hard ground underneath. When I was there I didn't see any mountain bikers and saw only a few bike tracks, so I didn't feel that it interfered with the disc golf course. Lodging, camping, and store close by in Crooked River Ranch. Not far from Bend, Redmond, and Madras for restaurants and other disc golf courses. I gave it a 3.5 due to the tee pads and very little signage. However, this course is only a few months old and it will be interesting in the future if there are improvements made.