Layout Extinct

Las Vegas, NV
Freedom Park - Old Layout Share

1    2/3/2010   2/8/2010
Review By: frisbeewalnut
Pros: Nicely kept.
Cons: This course is the most dangerous I've ever seen in my 30+ years of playing disc golf. The course is set in and around and very busy walking trail. Even with all the warning signs I lot of the people there are not aware of whats going on. This course would not be alowed in the south.People say play through ducking out of the way of shots. I got the sigh to paly though on 13, pulled my shot alittle yelled 4 four times loud. I ended up hitting a little dog knocked him out cold almost killed him. The owner a young Spainsh woman was screaming and crying like the world was coming to and end. I still feel bad. My most sincere appologies to the lady and her liitle dog I hope he's ok!
Other Thoughts: Don"t play this course unless you want to hurt something. They need to move all 19 baskets to a park that is safe! This course is something bad waiting to happen. SO SAYS THE WALNUT

Fun if you can follow it

2-4    6/23/2008   6/15/2009
Review By: mashnut
Pros: The course plays through a large flat park with scattered trees and mostly manicured grass. The course uses the available trees well to keep things interesting and protect many of the pins. There is a great mix of long and short holes, from ace runs to real bomb shots. There is also a good mix of shots required to score well, as the trees and fences define specific lines on many of the holes.

The park in general seemed well taken care of, with nicely mowed grass and a crew of people out picking up trash and cleaning up the park. The locals I ran into here were very friendly and showed us around the course, along with giving us recommendations about other Las Vegas Courses.
Cons: This course is very poorly marked, and not at all easy to follow. I struggled a great deal until I ran into some locals who let me play along with them. I personally hate having to wander around a park searching for next tees and next holes, and this course would have been rated higher if not for these issues.

There were two sets of holes that played to the same basket when I played, which could present problems if the course was crowded. There were also times where to get to the next tee you walk back along the hole you just played, which is ok unless there are people playing behind you. on a couple holes, you're throwing right at parking lots or places where other park activities happen, so watch out.

The tees were all natural, and many were very rutted. They didn't always provide great footing for drives, especially when trying to throw hard on the longer holes. There were some where I ended up teeing off next to the actual tee area to save my ankles.
Other Thoughts: This course presents some good challenges, and has some really nice holes, but they are completely overshadowed by the navigation issues and the lack of any kind of signage. If you are going to play this course, print a map or find a local guide (or maybe both!) if you don't want to spend a long time wandering around the park. If this course was well marked, it would be a lot of fun and I would definitely recommend it. As it is, I would say that you're much better off playing Sunset.

This course is beginner friendly for the most part, with no real chance of losing a disc. There are some holes that will be challenging for more experienced players, and test some different shots. If you play on a warm day, there isn't a lot of shade, so make sure you bring water and sunscreen, the course can get pretty hot and dry.

freedom park

5/23/2006   5/23/2008
Review By: martinb
Pros: manicured grass/ lawn, well established course.
Cons: parking lots come into play. some conflict with non disc golf activities (picnickers, joggers).
Other Thoughts: this course is in a city park, well groomed with mature trees and bushes. the terrain is fairly flat and the design takes full advantage of the foliage. you will need controlled drives and longer bomber shots with some of the wider open fairways. there is a good mix of both short and long holes here. at least one of the holes actually plays over a parking lot, unless the course design has changed from 2006. one thing about the park is the placement of a cyclone fence around it. lockdown is daily, towards evening, not sure what the open hours for the park are. overall the course is fun to play and will challenge the beginner and pro alike.