Albemarle, NC
Fox Chase Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #4
Hole #4 Blue Tee

Good, challenging course, but was expecting more

1    1/10/2014   1/10/2014
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - challenging layout, decent flow, lots of variation - most notably elevation. As mentioned, there is a large number of "NC wooded" holes, a few open holes. In the back nine there are a lot of challenging wooded. From the long tees, only 4 holes under 300', two are the first two holes, so it's a nice "warm-up" to get you into your round.
- the pads are a plus here. Large, newer concrete pads. Many of the holes have two pads - with the long pads providing a much more challenging, different look at the hole
- flow and signs were good. Especially liked arrows to next teepad, and directional arrows mid-hole when you had a blind shot on the basket.
Cons: - front nine was very swampy (played on a wet week)
- sometimes where there were two pads, and they were a few hundred feet apart, you have to walk up to the front pad to view the sign. If you're familiar with the course, I'm sure it's not an issue.
- I take issue with some of the assigned pars (especially on the back nine) in both directions (too easy, too hard) - in particular, #16 long pad - to clear the mando, you are essentially laying up to the short pad. - but it's the same par as the short pad?
Other Thoughts: Based on the ratings, I was expecting more. It was a good course, but I would slot it behind the better Charlotte courses (which I don't think the he ratings accurately reflect). Maybe it was because it was drizzling the round, maybe I slept poorly the night before.... Anyway, the front nine and back nine seem to be two different "animals". The front seemed like the it was well developed, the two pads providing very different opportunities, mostly flat and more open. I felt like the assigned pars were fair with moderately challenging lines. Then you go into the back nine, and it becomes a much more challenging course. The elevation changes are pretty spectacular for a non-mountain (I guess morrow mth is close) course. I'm in pretty good shape but was breathing hard after going up the hills - not a bad thing, just a little unusual. I feel like the second pad was added on the front nine, and they stopped or are awaiting funding for the second pad for most of the back nine? It seems like there is space. Having the two pads on the back would bump my rating up a slot. I feel like many of the back fairways are too tight. The woods aren't super dense, so you can miss your gap, and still end up with a decent shot (which happened many time for me), but I didn't have the satisfaction of executing my shot, I just felt lucky. I'm not complaining, I could just see a very frustrating round if all those shots were a few feet to the left or right. Someone had "cleared" a path from tee to basket. With the wetness it was actually really slick. Looks cool, maybe not safe. If the fairways were a tad bigger, the advantage over the CLT courses would be the elevation changes.

Its good but not that Good

1    2/12/2009   2/12/2009
Review By: ERace
Pros: the white tees like everyone else has said is maped out nicely and its a real clean park with some tough holes
Cons: some blue tees dont exist or do they?
Other Thoughts: its a good course but i dont think its a 4.5 course i live an hour away and drove with a friend there and this is probably the last time i play it. if it was closer then maybe but its not worth an hour drive for me.