Albemarle, NC
Hole #17 Blue Tee

Beats work big time!

1    2/13/2016   2/17/2016
Review By: Bennybennybenny
Pros: -I played two rounds from the short pads. I didn't get to actually play the longs but I saw what every hole was like! I did the Fox Chase Ice Bowl and played this course blind, REALLY TERRIBLY! I was supposed to work that day but my coworker Sam took my shift! So shout out to my bro Sam! This course is very unpredictable. It has some really straightforward holes and some are extremely hard! I was very satisfied with the variety here! Fox Chase is just as hilly as Stumpy Creek! The elevation factor is huge! There are holes under 250' where I'm forced to throw a driver!
-Course is well maintained. It's nicely groomed and well kept. Construction is good too. There are many benches throughout the course.
-Family friendly! There are tennis courts, a playground, a baseball field? Also a 13ft deep pool (as a lifeguard, I must say it's painful to make a rescue that deep!)
-Long concrete pads. Nice tee signs on the short pads. The creek comes in play on many holes but is casual water, except on hole 5.
-Practice basket beside the field and past the building. Hole 1 is down in the woods.
-Course starts off pretty straightforward. The first hole is downhill and to the right side of the fairway. It's tight so it takes good accuracy to birdie this one but it's not that hard to arrange. #2 short is only 162' but plays along a rolling hill. Still a pretty easy birdie. The long is tougher because the long pad faces a cluster of trees but still very manageable and fair.
-Gets interesting with holes 3 and 4. Both are out in the open and are all distance holes from the long pads and are both over 400' long. From the shorts they are much easier. #3 is a downhill putter shot. A big hill is behind the basket so you don't want to go long. #4 is still a tough hole from the short. But is a really fair one. It's a right to left par 3 with some trees in the fairway but gives more than enough room to get it there.
-Many brilliantly designed holes. #7 is simply a great hole from both sets of tees. It's plays along a tight, straight fairway. It gives just enough space to throw a driver. There is danger all along the right side but you are more than likely bound to get a good kick to the left side or to the fairway. A 2 on the short pad would be a memorable birdie. The long pad is about 519' long and plays as a par 4 but isn't much different aside from the distance. #9 is an awesome par 3 from the short pad. The pad is angled toward the left so you need to throw pretty late. The hole is straight downhill down an interesting shaped fairway. Birdies do happen but if you go left, you could lose a few strokes. #12! Great narrow hole that plays along a fairway sloping to the left. If you are a righty like me, you would probably decide to flick, which would be the favorable way to play this hole but I decided to backhand it and I went like 50' past the basket. At 344' and narrow, it seems tough to get down there on a hole like this one but you could, and you don't want to go too far. There is sloping downhill down deep woods past the basket. Challenging, but very fun!
-The par 4's are great too. Especially holes 13 and 18. #13 has only one tee and plays across a treacherous valley. About three fourths of the hole is steep uphill. It starts off downhill and demands a gentle shot to go left. There is a cluster of trees in the middle of the fairway that can sabotage a good shot but if you get past those few trees. You should be able to get par or better on this one. Course ends grand with an awesome hole 18. It's another challenging hole that plays through a 20' gap and goes into the deep woods slightly to the right. I had an eagle opportunity on this one but missed due to being blocked by trees. The green is guarded by many trees. It's better to be slightly right than left.
Cons: -Could use a few more trashcans throughout the course. It's clean for the most part but it still wouldn't hurt to add a few more.
-If you come from 485 and merge onto 49 and then onto 52. You may have a hard time finding the course at first. The old address it said on the media was wrong but I think they fixed it. The old address took me to a man's house. Great guy, he drove to the park and allowed me to follow him there. It says to turn left on Knollwood but Knollwood Circle is more than one "street." Turn left on the third one, NOT THE FIRST TIME YOU SEE KNOLLWOOD. This did not affect my rating.
-Imaginary fairways. A few fairways are undefined and require luck to hit. Hole 8 is just irritating to say at the best. It's a huge uphill dogleg left up a fairway that is practically impossible to hit if you don't hit a tree. You have to get lucky on this one. #15 is also silly, it has two really skinny routes, nearly impossible for even a RHBH thrower like me to hit!
-If you play the longs, you will probably not agree with holes #4, #6, #9, and #16 being par 3's. They are just too hard to birdie. They are all over 400' and they are very technical and not straightforward. If you have played #12 at Eastway in Charlotte. You know that it's like 440' long but is straight and wide open, it's not hard for me to deuce. These holes, I can't birdie! They can't really be birdied unless you make a long approach shot, which would feel like an eagle. I think it should be a par 62 on the longs, instead of 58. A 58 on the longs has to be at least 980 rated!
Other Thoughts: -My cons aren't that big of a deal in my book. This course is overall very fair. It gives many opportunities for redemption so you really want to do you best to seize those opportunities. Aside from hole 8, every hole is fair and can easily be birdied with a well placed shot. But it takes critical thinking. This course will make or break you. It broke me, and will bring down my PDGA rating! If I took the time to think harder and watch where I was releasing, I probably would've shot at least even. But I didn't! I had many terrible kicks that got me in trouble. Even on the shorts would be about 935 rated and from the longs about 980.
-#6 is probably the "love it or hate it." It plays along a casual creek with OB to the left side of the rope. There is death all along the right side because of the clusters of trees. As a righty, I usually throw an understable driver really hard and get it to roll. I have that.
-Signature holes. #5. Very cool putter shot that goes downhill. Creek is about 15' past the basket. #18. Just an all around great ending to the course. From both pads it is a par 4. It's a lot tougher from the long pad because it takes a more precise shot but still demands some distance. The gap is about 300' from the long pad and about 170' from the short. It's a little bit more forgiving from the short pad because there aren't as many trees to face and as long as you hit the gap, you should be fine.
-Make time to play this course! It's an easy 4.0 in my book.

My local favorite

5+    10/28/2014   10/28/2014
Review By: LastPageDG
Pros: Love, love, LOVE this course. I may be a bit biast since this is my home course but that isn't the reason I love it so much. A good variety of shots that focus more on accuracy than crushing distance. Tight fairways that reward you for good shots but can punish you if you're careless. Holes 2, 5 and 14 give you good chances for ace runs while holes like 7 and 9 demand accuracy. There have been times I've teed off with only midranges or fairway drivers. Holes 3 and 4 give you a chance to crush a drive but still calls for placement on the shot. The elevation changes are worked in perfectly on the back 9 on holes 11 - 14. Bathrooms are at the entrance to the course and there are trash cans on a few holes as well. I love the fact that you can start on the front 9 or back 9 as both meet at the entrance to the course.
Cons: A few minor things come to mind. Tee signs for the long boxes, all the short pads have them and display both pads, but this would save you the trouble of walking up to the shorts to check distances if you're playing from the longs. There are a couple trees on 6 and 13 that kind of make take away from the line to get up the fairway. Also, some of the holes from the long pads are tweener holes, numbers 4 and 17 come to mind.
Other Thoughts: A must play if love a great North Carolina course! It will not disappoint and it lives up to the hype!

How a woods course should be

1    6/1/2014   6/5/2014
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Great experience all around. Not crazy long and not crazy technical... but long and technical enough to be challenging and fun for all skill levels.

Once you get into the woods you're under the trees for almost all the time and there's not a better way to spend a summer day in NC.

Navigation is easy. Tee signs seem accurate and are easy to read.

Holes like 4 and 18 give you some fun options, depending on what's in your bag and up your sleeve. Roller? Go for it.
Cons: A couple of holes (13?) could maybe lose a couple of trees to make the fairway more defined. But that's a pretty minor con. Honestly, there's not much bad to say about Fox Chase.
Other Thoughts: I played here for the first time in the Trilogy Challenge so it was especially hard not having discs I was familiar with. I can't wait to get back with my own plastic.

Am I Chasing, or Being Chased

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Hole nine. Hole nine. Hole nine. I don't mean to detract from any of the other holes at Fox Chase, but wow, hole nine is a beast. It's a combination of an over-the-valley shot and a straight tunnel shot. It's like a Richmond Hill throw, only if you had a precise throwing lane just wide enough for it to be possible. It's 300 feet down an tight alley with a climb to the basket at the end. It's an amazing throw that can reward or punish and it's just as pretty to look at as it is to throw on. The trees are so dense and not in the sense of brush, in the sense of the quantity of thick trunks on either side of the fairway.

So other than that one hole, that I'm still thinking about days later, the course merely typifies everything good about Carolina disc golf. It's wooded. It's tight. It's technical. There are courses in the state of this type that are mediocre. There are courses in NC of this type that are good. Fox Chase is one of the greats.

What helps separate this Fox from the pack is the clever use of elevation. There are several holes that treat a sharp ascent or descent as a means to create variety. Of special note is seventeen, which is a long climb. A long, steep climb I should say. (You might be tempted to throw all of your discs, just to be spared carrying the weight on your journey to the top.) Five is also a nice downhill run with the creek just behind the basket.

Almost any positive way to describe a course could apply to Fox Chase. It's tough but fair. It requires a ton of different shots. It goes up, down, right and left. It does it all. There's an incredible variety with no two shots feeling similar.

There are even some open holes. Three and Four traverse a meadow. Six and Seven are wooded but much more forgiving than most of the course, with wide fairways that boast enough sunlight for grass to grow.

Tees, baskets and signs are all off to snuff here. There are some great courses that I play and say something, "glad I saw that one." This isn't one of those. Fox Chase is one of those that you play and say "let's do one more round."
Cons: It seems the whites were the primary tees, so I played those. It would be great, although, not expected, if the blue tees were as well appointed as the whites. In addition to the signs only being on the whites, it seemed most holes were created with the white tees in mind.

Other than that, there isn't too much length here, with the white tees featuring twelve holes under 300 feet, and the blues only having one hole significantly more than 500. I wouldn't change any of the holes as they are universally fantastic, but length is one of the two elements that this course doesn't cover.

The other is water. It makes sense. Water isn't really a notable part of North Carolina discing. The course does what it wants to do so well, I don't actually mind that it doesn't do a few things.
Other Thoughts: We raced the autumn sun to get here, and maintained a brisk pace to finish before dark. I was totally stressed that we weren't going to make it but the course was worth the worry. It's a little bit out of the way for most people, but it's worth it.

Amazing Course

2-4    4/22/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: nalu222
Pros: Wow what a surprise. Played this course on my way through Albemarle. The course is very well designed overall. Awesome elevation changes and opportunity's to air out the discs as well as required technical shots. The course is very well maintained. Trimmed grass fairways and a variety of terrains. The course flows very well and would say this course is championship worthy.
Cons: One simple flaw that can easily be remedied. The signs should be on the back tees not the front ones. I had to walk up to the front ones to find out where the holes were like 9 times. Most of the paths lead to the back tees anyways. Seems logical enough.
Other Thoughts: Great job! I will definitely be back to play this course.

100degrees and counting

1    7/8/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: Nice layout, older forrest means less lost discs. I played the short tees and had a good time, the holes that are short are still cleverly done. This is about shaped shots and a driver was not in my hand much.Buzzzzzz territory for sure. Flick and back hand players equally matched. The long tees look brutal at times, that is a great contrast to the short pins. There is a pool at the park with a high dive btw. Not sure the cost/hours, but after a hot summer round could be good medicine.
Cons: Signs were pretty good, I think three is missing one, however. I like tight fairways that punish you,so, I can't gripe about that. If you like challenging lines, this is great. Compared to Charlotte courses I am used to, this is higher ranked in my eyes than any intermediate course. (Kilborne/Sugaw/Idewild)
It has a vibe that you don't get at those parks.
Other Thoughts: I drove an hour or so from South Charlotte to get to this park. I am glad I did. When it is cooler weather I will play two rounds there no problem. The park is nice and clean, and the course reflects that as well. Make the trip if you want something new.

this isnt the mountains

5+    5/11/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course has a lot of them.

Nice Concrete pads and benches on every hole make this course nice in the first place.

The Teesigns are great and the mistakes that showed invisible long pads have been fixed.

The elevation is extreme and unique for this area( maybe RL smith and Stumpy Creek can rival it but idk)

The design is excelent it uses the land avalible very well. There is water in play on a hole or two, one or 2 open bombs on the longs and serious elevation and mix of right left straight.

I love the way that the first 4 holes lul you to sleep and then bam the course gets tough!

Hole 7 just blows your mind when you reach it and you look straight up and think WTF where did this come from?!

Hole 5 is one of my favorites I have played. It is a short ace run at first glance but beware the ob creek is less than 10ft behind the pin. I Chained out from the tee and ended up ob once so run it at your own risk

Navigation is simple and the3 course is beat in well with very little brush like undergrowth overall.

Few people play this course so you will likely have it to yourself when you play.
Cons: maybe lack of trashcans and holes 4 & 6 get soggy after a rain Other than that cant think of much as far as cons go.
Other Thoughts: This course gets lost in the shuffle being so close to Charlotte. Even I live closer to it than many of the Charlotte courses and go into crown town most of the time. It's a shame honestly. It is incredibly suprising when you find this mountain like course in an area that seems to have very little terrain.

If you are relativly close this course is definatly worth your time.

2-4    11/23/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: Pooterpig
Pros: Well thought out course. It obviously has members who take care of the course.A very nice selection of pin placements. Wooded but a joy to walk.
Cons: Better signs.
Other Thoughts: I recommend this course to anyone in the area. I will play it every time I am in Albermarle.

Fun and Challenging!

2-4    5/15/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: I was impressed with this course. The first seven holes had me thinking I was in for any easy trip but then hole 8 came and BAM! Hole is a rugged uphill left doghill affair that will have you cursing by the time you reach the basket. Don't get me wrong though! I enjoyed it.

Hole #1 was great and I ended up getting a bird on it but, don't let it's short distance fool you. A bad throw can find your disc at a dead stop when it hits a tree. I really liked the elevated tee pad on this one.

At hole #3 I really liked the open feel from the blue tee pad and it is easy to let a RHBH rip from the blue tee and let it glide back down in line with the basket. If you over do it though, you'll find yourself in the briar and brush that runs along the left of the fairway.

Hole #4 had a gentle swooping elevation change that made the basket look deceptively closer. Not to mention the trees as obstacles.

Hole #5 was great even though we spent about 25 minutes looking for the mystery tee pad. A well placed shot will put you down the hill through the tree gap and at the basket for a bird. Throw to far and you will be going swimming since the creek is right behind the basket.

Hole #6 had a marshy/swampy appeal to it with a narrow part of the creek running though it. A straight out shot with a bit of bend to the right and plenty of trees to avoid along the way. A bad throw can put you in the brush and trees to the left or to the right if you anhyzer to much.

Hole #7 was just about a straight shot with the basket down on the right. If you play this from the pro pad you have a narrow tree gap with a crook to the right to shoot to get beyond the first tee pad into the straight away area.

The course was clean and free of litter. There are restrooms and drinking fountains near the swimming pool. There is also a practice basket before walking down to the first tee. I really liked that it was on your way to the first tee and not off to the side somewhere. We found several terrapins on the course and I almost stepped on one.
Cons: Ok now the cons...the back nine felt somewhat repetitive to me. Number 17 was an uphill repeat of 8 with the dogleg right instead. It seemed that after 9 the holes all ran together for me. Still this was not enough to detract from play...you'll do alot of walking on unlevel terrain on the back nine and you should be mindful of borrows obscured by brush. On hole 9 I stepped in one and sank down to my thigh. This was to the right of the fairway about half way down.

The restroom facilities seemed a bit run down but, they did serve the purpose.

A fun track that give you a workout

5+    4/15/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: chainmonkey
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: Fox Chase is definitely one of my favorite courses. I like wooded courses that are challenging and Fox Chase is that, but not overbearing it is a fair course. The 1st hole starts out with a narrow tunnel shot down slope, to hold a straight line it is easy to over throw the basket, very fun. I guess the hole that stands out most in my mind is #5, a downhill toss with a creek 20 feet behind the basket. It is so hard to get the courage to go or the basket. #8 is an uphill challenge with 80 feet of rise in a 287 foot dogleg left. This course will give you a real workout. Being an old codger I have to wait a little to get my wind to throw on several of the hill climbs. Russell Schwarz did a great job on the design of this gem of central NC.
Cons: The only cons I can think of are; there need to be a few more trash cans on the course some of the hole signs show a tee that does not seem to be there or at least I have never found it and some of the tees seem to point in a strange direction.
Other Thoughts: If you have not played this course make it a point to get to Fox Chase and play it.