Albemarle, NC
Hole #7 White Tee

Am I Chasing, or Being Chased

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Hole nine. Hole nine. Hole nine. I don't mean to detract from any of the other holes at Fox Chase, but wow, hole nine is a beast. It's a combination of an over-the-valley shot and a straight tunnel shot. It's like a Richmond Hill throw, only if you had a precise throwing lane just wide enough for it to be possible. It's 300 feet down an tight alley with a climb to the basket at the end. It's an amazing throw that can reward or punish and it's just as pretty to look at as it is to throw on. The trees are so dense and not in the sense of brush, in the sense of the quantity of thick trunks on either side of the fairway.

So other than that one hole, that I'm still thinking about days later, the course merely typifies everything good about Carolina disc golf. It's wooded. It's tight. It's technical. There are courses in the state of this type that are mediocre. There are courses in NC of this type that are good. Fox Chase is one of the greats.

What helps separate this Fox from the pack is the clever use of elevation. There are several holes that treat a sharp ascent or descent as a means to create variety. Of special note is seventeen, which is a long climb. A long, steep climb I should say. (You might be tempted to throw all of your discs, just to be spared carrying the weight on your journey to the top.) Five is also a nice downhill run with the creek just behind the basket.

Almost any positive way to describe a course could apply to Fox Chase. It's tough but fair. It requires a ton of different shots. It goes up, down, right and left. It does it all. There's an incredible variety with no two shots feeling similar.

There are even some open holes. Three and Four traverse a meadow. Six and Seven are wooded but much more forgiving than most of the course, with wide fairways that boast enough sunlight for grass to grow.

Tees, baskets and signs are all off to snuff here. There are some great courses that I play and say something, "glad I saw that one." This isn't one of those. Fox Chase is one of those that you play and say "let's do one more round."
Cons: It seems the whites were the primary tees, so I played those. It would be great, although, not expected, if the blue tees were as well appointed as the whites. In addition to the signs only being on the whites, it seemed most holes were created with the white tees in mind.

Other than that, there isn't too much length here, with the white tees featuring twelve holes under 300 feet, and the blues only having one hole significantly more than 500. I wouldn't change any of the holes as they are universally fantastic, but length is one of the two elements that this course doesn't cover.

The other is water. It makes sense. Water isn't really a notable part of North Carolina discing. The course does what it wants to do so well, I don't actually mind that it doesn't do a few things.
Other Thoughts: We raced the autumn sun to get here, and maintained a brisk pace to finish before dark. I was totally stressed that we weren't going to make it but the course was worth the worry. It's a little bit out of the way for most people, but it's worth it.

Amazing Course

2-4    4/22/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: nalu222
Pros: Wow what a surprise. Played this course on my way through Albemarle. The course is very well designed overall. Awesome elevation changes and opportunity's to air out the discs as well as required technical shots. The course is very well maintained. Trimmed grass fairways and a variety of terrains. The course flows very well and would say this course is championship worthy.
Cons: One simple flaw that can easily be remedied. The signs should be on the back tees not the front ones. I had to walk up to the front ones to find out where the holes were like 9 times. Most of the paths lead to the back tees anyways. Seems logical enough.
Other Thoughts: Great job! I will definitely be back to play this course.

100degrees and counting

1    7/8/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: Nice layout, older forrest means less lost discs. I played the short tees and had a good time, the holes that are short are still cleverly done. This is about shaped shots and a driver was not in my hand much.Buzzzzzz territory for sure. Flick and back hand players equally matched. The long tees look brutal at times, that is a great contrast to the short pins. There is a pool at the park with a high dive btw. Not sure the cost/hours, but after a hot summer round could be good medicine.
Cons: Signs were pretty good, I think three is missing one, however. I like tight fairways that punish you,so, I can't gripe about that. If you like challenging lines, this is great. Compared to Charlotte courses I am used to, this is higher ranked in my eyes than any intermediate course. (Kilborne/Sugaw/Idewild)
It has a vibe that you don't get at those parks.
Other Thoughts: I drove an hour or so from South Charlotte to get to this park. I am glad I did. When it is cooler weather I will play two rounds there no problem. The park is nice and clean, and the course reflects that as well. Make the trip if you want something new.

this isnt the mountains

5+    5/11/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course has a lot of them.

Nice Concrete pads and benches on every hole make this course nice in the first place.

The Teesigns are great and the mistakes that showed invisible long pads have been fixed.

The elevation is extreme and unique for this area( maybe RL smith and Stumpy Creek can rival it but idk)

The design is excelent it uses the land avalible very well. There is water in play on a hole or two, one or 2 open bombs on the longs and serious elevation and mix of right left straight.

I love the way that the first 4 holes lul you to sleep and then bam the course gets tough!

Hole 7 just blows your mind when you reach it and you look straight up and think WTF where did this come from?!

Hole 5 is one of my favorites I have played. It is a short ace run at first glance but beware the ob creek is less than 10ft behind the pin. I Chained out from the tee and ended up ob once so run it at your own risk

Navigation is simple and the3 course is beat in well with very little brush like undergrowth overall.

Few people play this course so you will likely have it to yourself when you play.
Cons: maybe lack of trashcans and holes 4 & 6 get soggy after a rain Other than that cant think of much as far as cons go.
Other Thoughts: This course gets lost in the shuffle being so close to Charlotte. Even I live closer to it than many of the Charlotte courses and go into crown town most of the time. It's a shame honestly. It is incredibly suprising when you find this mountain like course in an area that seems to have very little terrain.

If you are relativly close this course is definatly worth your time.

2-4    11/23/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: Pooterpig
Pros: Well thought out course. It obviously has members who take care of the course.A very nice selection of pin placements. Wooded but a joy to walk.
Cons: Better signs.
Other Thoughts: I recommend this course to anyone in the area. I will play it every time I am in Albermarle.

Fun and Challenging!

2-4    5/15/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: I was impressed with this course. The first seven holes had me thinking I was in for any easy trip but then hole 8 came and BAM! Hole is a rugged uphill left doghill affair that will have you cursing by the time you reach the basket. Don't get me wrong though! I enjoyed it.

Hole #1 was great and I ended up getting a bird on it but, don't let it's short distance fool you. A bad throw can find your disc at a dead stop when it hits a tree. I really liked the elevated tee pad on this one.

At hole #3 I really liked the open feel from the blue tee pad and it is easy to let a RHBH rip from the blue tee and let it glide back down in line with the basket. If you over do it though, you'll find yourself in the briar and brush that runs along the left of the fairway.

Hole #4 had a gentle swooping elevation change that made the basket look deceptively closer. Not to mention the trees as obstacles.

Hole #5 was great even though we spent about 25 minutes looking for the mystery tee pad. A well placed shot will put you down the hill through the tree gap and at the basket for a bird. Throw to far and you will be going swimming since the creek is right behind the basket.

Hole #6 had a marshy/swampy appeal to it with a narrow part of the creek running though it. A straight out shot with a bit of bend to the right and plenty of trees to avoid along the way. A bad throw can put you in the brush and trees to the left or to the right if you anhyzer to much.

Hole #7 was just about a straight shot with the basket down on the right. If you play this from the pro pad you have a narrow tree gap with a crook to the right to shoot to get beyond the first tee pad into the straight away area.

The course was clean and free of litter. There are restrooms and drinking fountains near the swimming pool. There is also a practice basket before walking down to the first tee. I really liked that it was on your way to the first tee and not off to the side somewhere. We found several terrapins on the course and I almost stepped on one.
Cons: Ok now the cons...the back nine felt somewhat repetitive to me. Number 17 was an uphill repeat of 8 with the dogleg right instead. It seemed that after 9 the holes all ran together for me. Still this was not enough to detract from play...you'll do alot of walking on unlevel terrain on the back nine and you should be mindful of borrows obscured by brush. On hole 9 I stepped in one and sank down to my thigh. This was to the right of the fairway about half way down.

The restroom facilities seemed a bit run down but, they did serve the purpose.

A fun track that give you a workout

5+    4/15/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: chainmonkey
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: Fox Chase is definitely one of my favorite courses. I like wooded courses that are challenging and Fox Chase is that, but not overbearing it is a fair course. The 1st hole starts out with a narrow tunnel shot down slope, to hold a straight line it is easy to over throw the basket, very fun. I guess the hole that stands out most in my mind is #5, a downhill toss with a creek 20 feet behind the basket. It is so hard to get the courage to go or the basket. #8 is an uphill challenge with 80 feet of rise in a 287 foot dogleg left. This course will give you a real workout. Being an old codger I have to wait a little to get my wind to throw on several of the hill climbs. Russell Schwarz did a great job on the design of this gem of central NC.
Cons: The only cons I can think of are; there need to be a few more trash cans on the course some of the hole signs show a tee that does not seem to be there or at least I have never found it and some of the tees seem to point in a strange direction.
Other Thoughts: If you have not played this course make it a point to get to Fox Chase and play it.

elevation is here

1    5/8/2009   10/29/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: lots of elevation, long pads, short pads, excellent use of terrain. large concrete pads. challenging for all skill levels.
Cons: be ready for a hike. bring water and good shoes. i pushed by girl in a jogging stroller the time i went, and it was a test fo rthe stroller. lots of up and down. actually had to use the handbrake on a hole or two.
Other Thoughts: about a hour from charlotte, but definitely worth the trip, just with out the srtoller. elevation really works you here and it is a beautiful park, worth taking a long hike through. i aced hole #2 from the short tee. my girl was the only witness.

Unreal Terrain

1    6/29/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: DiscnDude
Pros: The first couple of holes give you an idea of the terrain to come, but only a slight hint as to whats to come.

A couple of the holes give you some room to get a nice drive off and some are more tight right near the tee.

Uphill shots, downhill shots and some doglegs each way.

The roughs aren't rediculous I did find a Disc, but i didnt lose any.

All of the Baskets were Very bright yellow and are easy to spot.

Cons: I forgot to bring any beverages, so i was really feeling it after playing for 36 Holes.

I was in Albemarle for the day anyways, but the drive from charlotte isnt exactly quick.
Other Thoughts: I found a 2 and a half foot snake skin. I saw another snake in a cubby hole dug in the ground. Squirrel's, wildlife was plentiful and the views from the teeboxes were Awesome.

Above Average Course

1    6/1/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
Pros: -Excellent design, you can tell the piece of land was crafted into a course and not just forced.
-Benches are plentiful, trash cans on about a third of the holes.
-White tees are impeccable, with nice signage.
-Arrows pointing to next hole, and for blind shots of the tee (great for newcomers).
-Park is easy to find, practice hole, other amenities make for a good time.
Cons: -Blue tees would have to walk up to the white tees on most holes to figure out distance, direction, etc.
-Quite buggy (it is the woods after all).
-Some holes might feel like a crap shoot for beginners and some semi-experienced players from the tight fairways.
Other Thoughts: Fantastic course overall. The design is solid, and elevation changes make the course interesting and extremely enjoyable. Woods course for sure, but the front nine has some open'ish' holes. Like many other reviewers mentioned, you have to be accurate and not throw with warrantless abandon off the tee.
Memorable holes:
-Five: This hole struck me as being simple, yet well defined. Its the perfect length, with the perfect amount of space off the tee to get through the trees. A little creek 5 feet behind the hole makes it even better.
-Nine: Not the easiest hole, but definitely one of the nicest. Off the white tee it sweeps downhill slightly right then finishes hard left nestled behind some trees on a uphill. A balanced challenge.
-Seventeen: After a slew of tight fairways downhill and uphill, seventeen offers brief respite in terms of openness, but the elevation is much more severe. I would guess a 20 degree gradient or so that requires a strong drive either anhyzer or sidearm to reach close enough for a birdie chance. Great hole.