Albemarle, NC
Hole #6 Approach

Love me some Fox

1    11/21/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: Disc Junky
Pros: Such an Amazing Park.

Any shot you can imagine apart from water is at this course.
You want a 300 foot valley shoot then its there. You want a 100 foot elevation change hill its there. Left and right dog legs alike.

Signs to next tee are at every basket so navigation is very easy.

Hole 11 was by far my favorite hole at the course with a 305 foot throw over a large valley its just beautiful.

1-7 play out pretty straight forward, but once your past that, you are gonna love the use of elevation at this beautiful course.

You'll go uphill and downhill dog leg left with a 100 foot elevation change.

Plenty of seating at every single hole.

Very clean and well kept course.

The design to me is just amazing. It rivals my favorite course of Idlewild in Burlington, KY and that's saying a lot.
Cons: Its very hard to find any but there is a missing sign at hole 9.

Some different lines would be nice if they were added. Its pretty much one line to get to the hole.

Some steps could be added for some of the steeper elevation changes. It does get a bit tiring going up and down hills through the back part of this course.
Other Thoughts: If your passing through NC and are within a couple hours of Fox Chase then do yourself a favor and play this course. I'm happy I live less then an hour away from it. I will be going back many times.

Great Course!

2-4    7/22/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: AustnSavage
Pros: -Great layout
-Beautiful area
-Challenging
Cons: Not many that I can think of. Great course to visit if you're nearby!
Other Thoughts: Went with a buddy of mine while we were in NC. Had no desire to visit any other courses because Fox Chase is so fun! Highly recommend it!

I want to move to Fox Chade

1    9/13/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: atomicted
Pros: Clean, great terrain, easy to navigate, fun to play. I played 8 courses this week in Charlotte, and played this one on the way back home because of the reviews on here. It was easily are favorite.
Cons: My ace run on 16 bounced out of the basket. It could use tee signs on the back tees, there was filthy words written on the bathroom stall(I did laugh).I'm can't think of any cons.
Other Thoughts: If you have the chance go play it. It is pretty hilly so wear good foot wear. This is my first review, cause I like the course that much.

My favorite NC public course.

1    6/21/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Ok,this course is badass,simple as that,it has a ton of elevation,and definitely puts a huge premium on throwing with accuracy.

I definitely found myself needing to pull out every single disc in my bag here,for every possible shot,I threw flicks down tight hallways,cut rollers,hyzers,straight shots with my fuse,and everything inbetween,it was an awesome experience.

Large concrete pads are always a bonus.

I feel like this course really combines my favorite aspects of NC courses,to make one super-couse,and that makes me extremely happy.

Quite a few memorable holes out here,personal favorites being 13,because I gave it a nice run,and 16,because it was the only good flick I threw all night,but it was awesome to watch a disc just wind through the trees,and a miracle.
Cons: I can't really think of any true cons,I don't remember any trashcans,and the only restroom is before hole one,and you won't see it again till after 18,but honestly,this course is so awesome those small things don't really matter.
Other Thoughts: I had driven about 6 1/2 hours to North Carolina the evening I played this course,then I had to drive another 35-40 minutes to this course once I had arrived at my original destination,and it was totally worth it.

Also getting to play with Chain-Addicted and BroD was an experience,so thanks to both of them for meeting me out there that evening.

Make it out to this course,you will not be disappointed.

First Class

5+    8/29/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: livedoen4
Pros: Great wooded course. Practice basket and restrooms at the entrance. Large tee pads and signs at each hole. The whites play out as a 5074ft par 56 while the blues are a 6497ft par 58. The course is well maintained and free of litter. The transition between holes are short and easy to navigate. The lines are fair and the underbrush is beat down.
Cons: A few more trashcans are needed. Additional tee signs on the blues would also be helpful.
Other Thoughts: The local disc golf club keeps this course looking great. It's well worth a trip from Raleigh or the crowded courses in Charlotte.

1    8/26/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: NCSU2002
Pros: Well laid out, good mix of woods and open, lots of elevation changes. The two tees present a reasonable option for amateurs and a much more challenging tee for pros.
The course is definitely well maintained, nice pads, signs are present everywhere, and they even have little yellow arrows to show you the hidden baskets without walking halfway up the hole.
Also the rough wasn't that rougn and we found 1 taco of a disc and lost 0.
Cons: I can't think of a whole lot to say as far as cons, but I don't think this is the "perfect" course. There were a couple of holes that didn't have multiple lines of attack, I throw lots of sidearm and the course doesn't have as many right curves as most. It was also pretty physically exhausting with all the elevation changes and the muggy woods atmosphere on the back. None of these are really cons but they are how I justify 4.5 instead of 5
Other Thoughts: Great course, will definetly make the 1 hour trip again to play this one and will bring friends. Nicest course I have played within an hour of the Winston-Salem area

WOW

5+    6/30/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: Benttreedg
This review was updated on 10/13/2011
Pros: This course is amazing. It will bring everything out of you and then some more. You will attempt every shot type and use many different discs in your bag. There are two holes that are up hill a good bit so grab something to drink before holes 8 and 17. Really tight fairways so make sure you bring your A game when you play.

Cons: Can't really think of any course was amazing and very nicely kept up.

NC DG Paragon

1    0/0/0000   5/22/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 6/3/2010
Pros: Awesome course that fully displays NC's natural splendor. Variety, length, tough but fair lines down well-maintained and defined fairways. Massive and smooth tees, many holes sporting a longer, alternate pro tee. Great tee signs on every hole except #8 which is missing apparently. Great elevation including many downhill runs. Next tee signs help direct you but the course flows better than Kanye anyway. Benches, yada, yada, yada. Really clean also, nice park that is easy to find off hwy 52. Practice basket available. Big arms and finesse players can both score well enough pretty equally, and that's hard to design so kudos to the people that put in this course.

It's challenging, it's scenic, it's in the woods, what more can you ask for?
Cons: Other than the tee sign for #8 missing, there aren't really any cons for me. The tee sign for #5 is inaccurate, stating that there is a mysterious pro tee somewhere. Some of the holes have laborious in-between walks, mostly due to the terrain/elevation but I've seen much worse. There are some really tough par 3's on here from the Pro tees. Some of the holes by the creek were a little swampy but it's been raining like crazy lately.
Other Thoughts: I really wanted to give this course a 5, and I think the more I play it, the more I'll be tempted to give it one. The pro layout can be brutal on rec and new players. Unfortunately, it got dark on me around hole #12 so I was playing fairly blind from that point on (still got parked birdies on 14 and 15 though), so it's tough for me to nominate a signature hole.

This is a roadtrip destination course, for sure, 100%.

2-4    3/5/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/8/2012
Pros: Fox Chase is an amazing course from start to finish. It's one of the best courses I've played, period. It's a perfect blend of being challenging, but yet still manages to be fun.
- Great variety of holes. Up shots, down shots, doglegs, really tight, "open" wooded holes. I loved how you had to shape your shot on many of the holes. Holes #1, #5, 9 & 12 stand out to me as the best example of this. After playing #1, I could tell this course had something special.
- The course starts out with two birdie-able holes, then the only two open/grass holes. If your tee shots are errant, you better have it fixed by the time you finish #4, or you're going to be in trouble for what's to come.
- Course is tough, but fair. There aren't any major blow-up holes, as long as you don't get too far off the fairway. For the most part, you'll be able to get back to the fairway, and salvage a hole without too much damage.
- Tee signs, tee pads, arrows w/ hole numbers (and added plus) are all in good condition. These are the things you take for granted, unless a course is missing them.
- Course somehow squeezes in 18 holes into a small space. There seems to be no wasted space in this area, which also means short walks between holes.
- I love how well the course loops back to the begin after the front 9 and back 9 - #18. This has to be the shortest walk I've had at any course from #18's basket back to hole #1. It's like their trying to tempt you to play another 18. Nothing wrong with that. Plus it there's a crowd teeing off at #1, you can go right to #10.
- #5 is an evil, little hole. 225 foot slight downhill with trees lining both sides, and an OB on the right, so you can't just loft one in there. Oh yeah, and there's a creek less than 20 feet behind the basket so you can't let it fly long. The hole won round 1, I came back with a birdie the second time, but have a feeling the hole is going to win more often than I am.
- I liked teeing off next to the creek on #8. It's your last sense of calmness before playing the rest of your round in the woods.
Cons: No major problems, only a couple small ones.
- For the most part, the long tees give you the exact same shot/line as the short tees, just a little further back. Only a couple holes have a different look. The two biggest examples are on #3 & #16. But, even no #16, your tee shot is playing towards the short tee.
- Speaking of #16 long, this is the only poorly designed fairway/layout on the entire course. The long fairway, playing to the common fairway with the short tee has a sharp, angled curve.
- The wooded holes have the typical North Carolina somewhat narrow fairways. If you can throw straight, you'll be fine. If not, some holes might get frustrating.
- A couple holes get really close to each other, to the point a stray shot can end up on another hole. For example, I had a shot go slightly left on #18 (I was still in putting range), but I was on the fairway for #10. When the course is packed, you will need to watch for wayward discs.
- The parking lot didn't seem that big. In the summer, when the park is being used for other activities, it wouldn't surprise me if parking becomes a problem.
- Amenities on the course itself are lacking. The course could use a couple more trash cans. If you need to hit the restrooms or water fountain, you need to make a stop after playing the front nine.
Other Thoughts: Fox Chase has the best elements of wooded courses across the region. It's got length (seven holes are more than 400 feet, from the long tees), it's got hills and good elevation holes, and risk/reward holes. It's well worth the 1-hour drive from Charlotte to play this course. Almost makes me wonder how it took me so long to play.
- The short tees offer both fun and challenge for casual/less experienced players. The long tees present a good challenge for advanced players.
- The front 9 had much more variety in holes than the back 9. It's your only chance to play open/grass holes. The back 9 is more challenging, and plays more up and down.
- The course utilizes the terrain to give you some very interesting hole layouts. Make sure you're in good shape, and have something to drink, because you're going to be walking up and down the hills a lot during your round.
- I couldn't think of one signature hole for this course, it had so many good holes. It's the sign of a great course that I could argue at least six holes being my favorite. Fox Chase ranks right up there with the best courses I've played.

Thankful this is my home course

5+    1/4/2010   1/4/2010
Review By: derekdennis3
Pros: Tight fairways and decent length. The baskets and course are fairly new and in excellent condition. I like the raked concrete tee boxes. The course is well maintained and the fairways are always clear.
Cons: No signs at the blue tee boxes. The tee box on number nine is turned the wrong way, it is awkward for your release.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a great course. I've played all of the big name courses in Charlotte, Hornets Nest, Kilbourne, Nevin, etc. and this course is more pleasing to the eyes and more challenging than the others (except the Web course at Hornets Nest). There are a few tee pads that were never poured, but a great experience nonetheless.