Albemarle, NC
Hole #7 Blue Tee

100degrees and counting

1    7/8/2012   7/9/2012
Review By: albert8fish
Pros: Nice layout, older forrest means less lost discs. I played the short tees and had a good time, the holes that are short are still cleverly done. This is about shaped shots and a driver was not in my hand much.Buzzzzzz territory for sure. Flick and back hand players equally matched. The long tees look brutal at times, that is a great contrast to the short pins. There is a pool at the park with a high dive btw. Not sure the cost/hours, but after a hot summer round could be good medicine.
Cons: Signs were pretty good, I think three is missing one, however. I like tight fairways that punish you,so, I can't gripe about that. If you like challenging lines, this is great. Compared to Charlotte courses I am used to, this is higher ranked in my eyes than any intermediate course. (Kilborne/Sugaw/Idewild)
It has a vibe that you don't get at those parks.
Other Thoughts: I drove an hour or so from South Charlotte to get to this park. I am glad I did. When it is cooler weather I will play two rounds there no problem. The park is nice and clean, and the course reflects that as well. Make the trip if you want something new.

this isnt the mountains

5+    5/11/2012   5/11/2012
Review By: BraveThrower43
Pros: This course has a lot of them.

Nice Concrete pads and benches on every hole make this course nice in the first place.

The Teesigns are great and the mistakes that showed invisible long pads have been fixed.

The elevation is extreme and unique for this area( maybe RL smith and Stumpy Creek can rival it but idk)

The design is excelent it uses the land avalible very well. There is water in play on a hole or two, one or 2 open bombs on the longs and serious elevation and mix of right left straight.

I love the way that the first 4 holes lul you to sleep and then bam the course gets tough!

Hole 7 just blows your mind when you reach it and you look straight up and think WTF where did this come from?!

Hole 5 is one of my favorites I have played. It is a short ace run at first glance but beware the ob creek is less than 10ft behind the pin. I Chained out from the tee and ended up ob once so run it at your own risk

Navigation is simple and the3 course is beat in well with very little brush like undergrowth overall.

Few people play this course so you will likely have it to yourself when you play.
Cons: maybe lack of trashcans and holes 4 & 6 get soggy after a rain Other than that cant think of much as far as cons go.
Other Thoughts: This course gets lost in the shuffle being so close to Charlotte. Even I live closer to it than many of the Charlotte courses and go into crown town most of the time. It's a shame honestly. It is incredibly suprising when you find this mountain like course in an area that seems to have very little terrain.

If you are relativly close this course is definatly worth your time.

2-4    11/23/2011   1/4/2012
Review By: Pooterpig
Pros: Well thought out course. It obviously has members who take care of the course.A very nice selection of pin placements. Wooded but a joy to walk.
Cons: Better signs.
Other Thoughts: I recommend this course to anyone in the area. I will play it every time I am in Albermarle.

I want to move to Fox Chade

1    9/13/2011   9/13/2011
Review By: atomicted
Pros: Clean, great terrain, easy to navigate, fun to play. I played 8 courses this week in Charlotte, and played this one on the way back home because of the reviews on here. It was easily are favorite.
Cons: My ace run on 16 bounced out of the basket. It could use tee signs on the back tees, there was filthy words written on the bathroom stall(I did laugh).I'm can't think of any cons.
Other Thoughts: If you have the chance go play it. It is pretty hilly so wear good foot wear. This is my first review, cause I like the course that much.

My favorite NC public course.

1    6/21/2011   9/4/2011
Review By: Connor Jones
Pros: Ok,this course is badass,simple as that,it has a ton of elevation,and definitely puts a huge premium on throwing with accuracy.

I definitely found myself needing to pull out every single disc in my bag here,for every possible shot,I threw flicks down tight hallways,cut rollers,hyzers,straight shots with my fuse,and everything inbetween,it was an awesome experience.

Large concrete pads are always a bonus.

I feel like this course really combines my favorite aspects of NC courses,to make one super-couse,and that makes me extremely happy.

Quite a few memorable holes out here,personal favorites being 13,because I gave it a nice run,and 16,because it was the only good flick I threw all night,but it was awesome to watch a disc just wind through the trees,and a miracle.
Cons: I can't really think of any true cons,I don't remember any trashcans,and the only restroom is before hole one,and you won't see it again till after 18,but honestly,this course is so awesome those small things don't really matter.
Other Thoughts: I had driven about 6 1/2 hours to North Carolina the evening I played this course,then I had to drive another 35-40 minutes to this course once I had arrived at my original destination,and it was totally worth it.

Also getting to play with Chain-Addicted and BroD was an experience,so thanks to both of them for meeting me out there that evening.

Make it out to this course,you will not be disappointed.

First Class

5+    8/29/2011   8/30/2011
Review By: livedoen4
Pros: Great wooded course. Practice basket and restrooms at the entrance. Large tee pads and signs at each hole. The whites play out as a 5074ft par 56 while the blues are a 6497ft par 58. The course is well maintained and free of litter. The transition between holes are short and easy to navigate. The lines are fair and the underbrush is beat down.
Cons: A few more trashcans are needed. Additional tee signs on the blues would also be helpful.
Other Thoughts: The local disc golf club keeps this course looking great. It's well worth a trip from Raleigh or the crowded courses in Charlotte.

1    8/26/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: NCSU2002
Pros: Well laid out, good mix of woods and open, lots of elevation changes. The two tees present a reasonable option for amateurs and a much more challenging tee for pros.
The course is definitely well maintained, nice pads, signs are present everywhere, and they even have little yellow arrows to show you the hidden baskets without walking halfway up the hole.
Also the rough wasn't that rougn and we found 1 taco of a disc and lost 0.
Cons: I can't think of a whole lot to say as far as cons, but I don't think this is the "perfect" course. There were a couple of holes that didn't have multiple lines of attack, I throw lots of sidearm and the course doesn't have as many right curves as most. It was also pretty physically exhausting with all the elevation changes and the muggy woods atmosphere on the back. None of these are really cons but they are how I justify 4.5 instead of 5
Other Thoughts: Great course, will definetly make the 1 hour trip again to play this one and will bring friends. Nicest course I have played within an hour of the Winston-Salem area

WOW

5+    6/30/2011   7/2/2011
Review By: Benttreedg
This review was updated on 10/13/2011
Pros: This course is amazing. It will bring everything out of you and then some more. You will attempt every shot type and use many different discs in your bag. There are two holes that are up hill a good bit so grab something to drink before holes 8 and 17. Really tight fairways so make sure you bring your A game when you play.

Cons: Can't really think of any course was amazing and very nicely kept up.

Fun and Challenging!

2-4    5/15/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: I was impressed with this course. The first seven holes had me thinking I was in for any easy trip but then hole 8 came and BAM! Hole is a rugged uphill left doghill affair that will have you cursing by the time you reach the basket. Don't get me wrong though! I enjoyed it.

Hole #1 was great and I ended up getting a bird on it but, don't let it's short distance fool you. A bad throw can find your disc at a dead stop when it hits a tree. I really liked the elevated tee pad on this one.

At hole #3 I really liked the open feel from the blue tee pad and it is easy to let a RHBH rip from the blue tee and let it glide back down in line with the basket. If you over do it though, you'll find yourself in the briar and brush that runs along the left of the fairway.

Hole #4 had a gentle swooping elevation change that made the basket look deceptively closer. Not to mention the trees as obstacles.

Hole #5 was great even though we spent about 25 minutes looking for the mystery tee pad. A well placed shot will put you down the hill through the tree gap and at the basket for a bird. Throw to far and you will be going swimming since the creek is right behind the basket.

Hole #6 had a marshy/swampy appeal to it with a narrow part of the creek running though it. A straight out shot with a bit of bend to the right and plenty of trees to avoid along the way. A bad throw can put you in the brush and trees to the left or to the right if you anhyzer to much.

Hole #7 was just about a straight shot with the basket down on the right. If you play this from the pro pad you have a narrow tree gap with a crook to the right to shoot to get beyond the first tee pad into the straight away area.

The course was clean and free of litter. There are restrooms and drinking fountains near the swimming pool. There is also a practice basket before walking down to the first tee. I really liked that it was on your way to the first tee and not off to the side somewhere. We found several terrapins on the course and I almost stepped on one.
Cons: Ok now the cons...the back nine felt somewhat repetitive to me. Number 17 was an uphill repeat of 8 with the dogleg right instead. It seemed that after 9 the holes all ran together for me. Still this was not enough to detract from play...you'll do alot of walking on unlevel terrain on the back nine and you should be mindful of borrows obscured by brush. On hole 9 I stepped in one and sank down to my thigh. This was to the right of the fairway about half way down.

The restroom facilities seemed a bit run down but, they did serve the purpose.

NC DG Paragon

1    0/0/0000   5/22/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 6/3/2010
Pros: Awesome course that fully displays NC's natural splendor. Variety, length, tough but fair lines down well-maintained and defined fairways. Massive and smooth tees, many holes sporting a longer, alternate pro tee. Great tee signs on every hole except #8 which is missing apparently. Great elevation including many downhill runs. Next tee signs help direct you but the course flows better than Kanye anyway. Benches, yada, yada, yada. Really clean also, nice park that is easy to find off hwy 52. Practice basket available. Big arms and finesse players can both score well enough pretty equally, and that's hard to design so kudos to the people that put in this course.

It's challenging, it's scenic, it's in the woods, what more can you ask for?
Cons: Other than the tee sign for #8 missing, there aren't really any cons for me. The tee sign for #5 is inaccurate, stating that there is a mysterious pro tee somewhere. Some of the holes have laborious in-between walks, mostly due to the terrain/elevation but I've seen much worse. There are some really tough par 3's on here from the Pro tees. Some of the holes by the creek were a little swampy but it's been raining like crazy lately.
Other Thoughts: I really wanted to give this course a 5, and I think the more I play it, the more I'll be tempted to give it one. The pro layout can be brutal on rec and new players. Unfortunately, it got dark on me around hole #12 so I was playing fairly blind from that point on (still got parked birdies on 14 and 15 though), so it's tough for me to nominate a signature hole.

This is a roadtrip destination course, for sure, 100%.