Albemarle, NC
Hole #8 Blue Tee

Fun and Challenging!

2-4    5/15/2010   5/23/2010
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: I was impressed with this course. The first seven holes had me thinking I was in for any easy trip but then hole 8 came and BAM! Hole is a rugged uphill left doghill affair that will have you cursing by the time you reach the basket. Don't get me wrong though! I enjoyed it.

Hole #1 was great and I ended up getting a bird on it but, don't let it's short distance fool you. A bad throw can find your disc at a dead stop when it hits a tree. I really liked the elevated tee pad on this one.

At hole #3 I really liked the open feel from the blue tee pad and it is easy to let a RHBH rip from the blue tee and let it glide back down in line with the basket. If you over do it though, you'll find yourself in the briar and brush that runs along the left of the fairway.

Hole #4 had a gentle swooping elevation change that made the basket look deceptively closer. Not to mention the trees as obstacles.

Hole #5 was great even though we spent about 25 minutes looking for the mystery tee pad. A well placed shot will put you down the hill through the tree gap and at the basket for a bird. Throw to far and you will be going swimming since the creek is right behind the basket.

Hole #6 had a marshy/swampy appeal to it with a narrow part of the creek running though it. A straight out shot with a bit of bend to the right and plenty of trees to avoid along the way. A bad throw can put you in the brush and trees to the left or to the right if you anhyzer to much.

Hole #7 was just about a straight shot with the basket down on the right. If you play this from the pro pad you have a narrow tree gap with a crook to the right to shoot to get beyond the first tee pad into the straight away area.

The course was clean and free of litter. There are restrooms and drinking fountains near the swimming pool. There is also a practice basket before walking down to the first tee. I really liked that it was on your way to the first tee and not off to the side somewhere. We found several terrapins on the course and I almost stepped on one.
Cons: Ok now the cons...the back nine felt somewhat repetitive to me. Number 17 was an uphill repeat of 8 with the dogleg right instead. It seemed that after 9 the holes all ran together for me. Still this was not enough to detract from play...you'll do alot of walking on unlevel terrain on the back nine and you should be mindful of borrows obscured by brush. On hole 9 I stepped in one and sank down to my thigh. This was to the right of the fairway about half way down.

The restroom facilities seemed a bit run down but, they did serve the purpose.

NC DG Paragon

1    0/0/0000   5/22/2010
Review By: BrotherDave
This review was updated on 6/3/2010
Pros: Awesome course that fully displays NC's natural splendor. Variety, length, tough but fair lines down well-maintained and defined fairways. Massive and smooth tees, many holes sporting a longer, alternate pro tee. Great tee signs on every hole except #8 which is missing apparently. Great elevation including many downhill runs. Next tee signs help direct you but the course flows better than Kanye anyway. Benches, yada, yada, yada. Really clean also, nice park that is easy to find off hwy 52. Practice basket available. Big arms and finesse players can both score well enough pretty equally, and that's hard to design so kudos to the people that put in this course.

It's challenging, it's scenic, it's in the woods, what more can you ask for?
Cons: Other than the tee sign for #8 missing, there aren't really any cons for me. The tee sign for #5 is inaccurate, stating that there is a mysterious pro tee somewhere. Some of the holes have laborious in-between walks, mostly due to the terrain/elevation but I've seen much worse. There are some really tough par 3's on here from the Pro tees. Some of the holes by the creek were a little swampy but it's been raining like crazy lately.
Other Thoughts: I really wanted to give this course a 5, and I think the more I play it, the more I'll be tempted to give it one. The pro layout can be brutal on rec and new players. Unfortunately, it got dark on me around hole #12 so I was playing fairly blind from that point on (still got parked birdies on 14 and 15 though), so it's tough for me to nominate a signature hole.

This is a roadtrip destination course, for sure, 100%.

A fun track that give you a workout

5+    4/15/2010   4/15/2010
Review By: chainmonkey
This review was updated on 7/1/2010
Pros: Fox Chase is definitely one of my favorite courses. I like wooded courses that are challenging and Fox Chase is that, but not overbearing it is a fair course. The 1st hole starts out with a narrow tunnel shot down slope, to hold a straight line it is easy to over throw the basket, very fun. I guess the hole that stands out most in my mind is #5, a downhill toss with a creek 20 feet behind the basket. It is so hard to get the courage to go or the basket. #8 is an uphill challenge with 80 feet of rise in a 287 foot dogleg left. This course will give you a real workout. Being an old codger I have to wait a little to get my wind to throw on several of the hill climbs. Russell Schwarz did a great job on the design of this gem of central NC.
Cons: The only cons I can think of are; there need to be a few more trash cans on the course some of the hole signs show a tee that does not seem to be there or at least I have never found it and some of the tees seem to point in a strange direction.
Other Thoughts: If you have not played this course make it a point to get to Fox Chase and play it.

2-4    3/5/2010   3/7/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
This review was updated on 8/8/2012
Pros: Fox Chase is an amazing course from start to finish. It's one of the best courses I've played, period. It's a perfect blend of being challenging, but yet still manages to be fun.
- Great variety of holes. Up shots, down shots, doglegs, really tight, "open" wooded holes. I loved how you had to shape your shot on many of the holes. Holes #1, #5, 9 & 12 stand out to me as the best example of this. After playing #1, I could tell this course had something special.
- The course starts out with two birdie-able holes, then the only two open/grass holes. If your tee shots are errant, you better have it fixed by the time you finish #4, or you're going to be in trouble for what's to come.
- Course is tough, but fair. There aren't any major blow-up holes, as long as you don't get too far off the fairway. For the most part, you'll be able to get back to the fairway, and salvage a hole without too much damage.
- Tee signs, tee pads, arrows w/ hole numbers (and added plus) are all in good condition. These are the things you take for granted, unless a course is missing them.
- Course somehow squeezes in 18 holes into a small space. There seems to be no wasted space in this area, which also means short walks between holes.
- I love how well the course loops back to the begin after the front 9 and back 9 - #18. This has to be the shortest walk I've had at any course from #18's basket back to hole #1. It's like their trying to tempt you to play another 18. Nothing wrong with that. Plus it there's a crowd teeing off at #1, you can go right to #10.
- #5 is an evil, little hole. 225 foot slight downhill with trees lining both sides, and an OB on the right, so you can't just loft one in there. Oh yeah, and there's a creek less than 20 feet behind the basket so you can't let it fly long. The hole won round 1, I came back with a birdie the second time, but have a feeling the hole is going to win more often than I am.
- I liked teeing off next to the creek on #8. It's your last sense of calmness before playing the rest of your round in the woods.
Cons: No major problems, only a couple small ones.
- For the most part, the long tees give you the exact same shot/line as the short tees, just a little further back. Only a couple holes have a different look. The two biggest examples are on #3 & #16. But, even no #16, your tee shot is playing towards the short tee.
- Speaking of #16 long, this is the only poorly designed fairway/layout on the entire course. The long fairway, playing to the common fairway with the short tee has a sharp, angled curve.
- The wooded holes have the typical North Carolina somewhat narrow fairways. If you can throw straight, you'll be fine. If not, some holes might get frustrating.
- A couple holes get really close to each other, to the point a stray shot can end up on another hole. For example, I had a shot go slightly left on #18 (I was still in putting range), but I was on the fairway for #10. When the course is packed, you will need to watch for wayward discs.
- The parking lot didn't seem that big. In the summer, when the park is being used for other activities, it wouldn't surprise me if parking becomes a problem.
- Amenities on the course itself are lacking. The course could use a couple more trash cans. If you need to hit the restrooms or water fountain, you need to make a stop after playing the front nine.
Other Thoughts: Fox Chase has the best elements of wooded courses across the region. It's got length (seven holes are more than 400 feet, from the long tees), it's got hills and good elevation holes, and risk/reward holes. It's well worth the 1-hour drive from Charlotte to play this course. Almost makes me wonder how it took me so long to play.
- The short tees offer both fun and challenge for casual/less experienced players. The long tees present a good challenge for advanced players.
- The front 9 had much more variety in holes than the back 9. It's your only chance to play open/grass holes. The back 9 is more challenging, and plays more up and down.
- The course utilizes the terrain to give you some very interesting hole layouts. Make sure you're in good shape, and have something to drink, because you're going to be walking up and down the hills a lot during your round.
- I couldn't think of one signature hole for this course, it had so many good holes. It's the sign of a great course that I could argue at least six holes being my favorite. Fox Chase ranks right up there with the best courses I've played.

Thankful this is my home course

5+    1/4/2010   1/4/2010
Review By: derekdennis3
Pros: Tight fairways and decent length. The baskets and course are fairly new and in excellent condition. I like the raked concrete tee boxes. The course is well maintained and the fairways are always clear.
Cons: No signs at the blue tee boxes. The tee box on number nine is turned the wrong way, it is awkward for your release.
Other Thoughts: All in all this is a great course. I've played all of the big name courses in Charlotte, Hornets Nest, Kilbourne, Nevin, etc. and this course is more pleasing to the eyes and more challenging than the others (except the Web course at Hornets Nest). There are a few tee pads that were never poured, but a great experience nonetheless.

Surgical fairways

5+    11/15/2009   11/15/2009
Review By: Behindatree
Pros: The best I've played. Finding your way to the next tee is the only thing easy here. Lots of variety, good elevation changes, you will use all your skills here and throw all different kinds of shots. This course has it all, up down long short left right straight you name it. Shot selection is key. Tight fairways will punish the slightest mistakes in big ways and will reward precision just as well
Cons: Only thing I can think of is maybe a few more holes with 500+ ft
Other Thoughts: Now that the Albemarle disc golf association is back in full swing this course is really being cared for. Those guys give this course that little extra above the rest bringing bimonthly tournaments (first and third saturdays at one o'clock). Scorecards updates on the bulletin board at hole one and even posting tourney results and best rounds etc. If you happen to see an ADGA member while at this course be sure to thank them.

elevation is here

1    5/8/2009   10/29/2009
Review By: hogleggbob
Pros: lots of elevation, long pads, short pads, excellent use of terrain. large concrete pads. challenging for all skill levels.
Cons: be ready for a hike. bring water and good shoes. i pushed by girl in a jogging stroller the time i went, and it was a test fo rthe stroller. lots of up and down. actually had to use the handbrake on a hole or two.
Other Thoughts: about a hour from charlotte, but definitely worth the trip, just with out the srtoller. elevation really works you here and it is a beautiful park, worth taking a long hike through. i aced hole #2 from the short tee. my girl was the only witness.

Unreal Terrain

1    6/29/2009   6/29/2009
Review By: DiscnDude
Pros: The first couple of holes give you an idea of the terrain to come, but only a slight hint as to whats to come.

A couple of the holes give you some room to get a nice drive off and some are more tight right near the tee.

Uphill shots, downhill shots and some doglegs each way.

The roughs aren't rediculous I did find a Disc, but i didnt lose any.

All of the Baskets were Very bright yellow and are easy to spot.

Cons: I forgot to bring any beverages, so i was really feeling it after playing for 36 Holes.

I was in Albemarle for the day anyways, but the drive from charlotte isnt exactly quick.
Other Thoughts: I found a 2 and a half foot snake skin. I saw another snake in a cubby hole dug in the ground. Squirrel's, wildlife was plentiful and the views from the teeboxes were Awesome.

Above Average Course

1    6/1/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: skamasterhenrik
Pros: -Excellent design, you can tell the piece of land was crafted into a course and not just forced.
-Benches are plentiful, trash cans on about a third of the holes.
-White tees are impeccable, with nice signage.
-Arrows pointing to next hole, and for blind shots of the tee (great for newcomers).
-Park is easy to find, practice hole, other amenities make for a good time.
Cons: -Blue tees would have to walk up to the white tees on most holes to figure out distance, direction, etc.
-Quite buggy (it is the woods after all).
-Some holes might feel like a crap shoot for beginners and some semi-experienced players from the tight fairways.
Other Thoughts: Fantastic course overall. The design is solid, and elevation changes make the course interesting and extremely enjoyable. Woods course for sure, but the front nine has some open'ish' holes. Like many other reviewers mentioned, you have to be accurate and not throw with warrantless abandon off the tee.
Memorable holes:
-Five: This hole struck me as being simple, yet well defined. Its the perfect length, with the perfect amount of space off the tee to get through the trees. A little creek 5 feet behind the hole makes it even better.
-Nine: Not the easiest hole, but definitely one of the nicest. Off the white tee it sweeps downhill slightly right then finishes hard left nestled behind some trees on a uphill. A balanced challenge.
-Seventeen: After a slew of tight fairways downhill and uphill, seventeen offers brief respite in terms of openness, but the elevation is much more severe. I would guess a 20 degree gradient or so that requires a strong drive either anhyzer or sidearm to reach close enough for a birdie chance. Great hole.

A+ = Top Shelf!

2-4    6/25/2008   4/19/2009
This review was updated on 7/9/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up (from the longs):
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- A+ (This course will spank you if you make bad decisions, get too aggressive, or do not execute to plan - perfection!)
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A (Several holes are a little too long for me, so that makes birdies not to be expected, but with the terrain and narrowness pars are still rewarding....and I can live with bogeys on those holes. BTW, I start losing accuracy at 300'. The other holes are perfectly challenging/rewarding!)
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A+ (Wow! The design forces so many different shot shapes and combinations of power and finesse that every round will offer a whole new set of challenges.)
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- A+ (This course exemplifies my favorite kind of beauty.)
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- B+ (I wish there were a few more multi-shot holes, but the ones there are a great combination of decision making and executing your shots).
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.