Albemarle, NC
Fox Chase Share
Uploaded By: YonderScott Hole #10
Hole #10 White Tee

< Prev 1 2 3 4
How a woods course should be

1    6/1/2014   6/5/2014
Review By: luckless_pedestrian
Pros: Great experience all around. Not crazy long and not crazy technical... but long and technical enough to be challenging and fun for all skill levels.

Once you get into the woods you're under the trees for almost all the time and there's not a better way to spend a summer day in NC.

Navigation is easy. Tee signs seem accurate and are easy to read.

Holes like 4 and 18 give you some fun options, depending on what's in your bag and up your sleeve. Roller? Go for it.
Cons: A couple of holes (13?) could maybe lose a couple of trees to make the fairway more defined. But that's a pretty minor con. Honestly, there's not much bad to say about Fox Chase.
Other Thoughts: I played here for the first time in the Trilogy Challenge so it was especially hard not having discs I was familiar with. I can't wait to get back with my own plastic.

What does the Fox say?

2-4    2/27/2014   3/4/2014
Review By: New013
Pros: Overall Fox Chase is a more technical style course with solid elevation changes.

Layout - The strength of the course lies in a variety of shot shapes through varying degrees of fairway tightness. That coupled with big elevation changes keeps the course interesting throughout the round.

It mixes up hole lengths in a nice way as well adding in some par 4's here and there. The course has a few more open holes at the beginning but even these holes demand accuracy and placement over distance.

Another thing I like about this course is how it forces you to not only be accurate through gaps but to be able to place the disc well due to the elevation changes around some baskets. You really have to think how you want to approach the green on some holes and not be careless.

Multiple paths on some holes and on a lot of holes you have the option to try different shots.

A number of the holes have a long and short pad and on this course to me the best layout is a combination of both.

There's some OB on the course consisted of a creek that comes in to play once and some OB lines on a few holes.

The front nine to me is the much funner of the two, the back gets more demanding on your accuracy at distances and elevation changes seem to come in to play more.

Good flow to the course, it's not hard to navigate and the short and long pad are not to far away from each other to make it confusing.

Equipment - Good large concrete pads on both tees. Informative tee signs with hole layout and distance for both tees. Baskets in good shape. Bathroom facility and practice basket by parking lot.

Atmosphere - Once you get on the course it's pretty secluded just like I like it. I haven't seen a lot of traffic out there and considering it's location it's probably never crowded. Good wooded area, really enjoyable tromp through the course.

Cons: Layout - My biggest gripe about Fox Chase is many of the holes are in a tweener limbo. This is why a combination of the long/short pads is probably the best layout. Some of the shorts are to short with very forgiving fairways.

There's also perhaps a bit to many holes that finish or bend to the right from the shorts, it's not lopsided but it's there.

I believe a few of the holes create overly difficult lines from the longs and there's a couple holes where perhaps to many obstacles come late in the fairway.

Equipment - It would be nice if there was a teesign at every pad but some don't have them when there is a long and short.

Atmosphere - The course is right next to the police department so keep your surroundings in mind and don't do stupid things. There are some good uphill walks here so if that's a problem for you or your group keep that in mind.
Other Thoughts: This is my favorite course on the east side of Charlotte and I think many would agree the best in that area. Definitely one you want to hit if you're on a NC disc golf tour although I believe it is a bit overhyped.

Really solid course that in my opinion could benefit from some new basket positions in a few places.

Good, challenging course, but was expecting more

1    1/10/2014   1/10/2014
Review By: pfpro
Pros: - challenging layout, decent flow, lots of variation - most notably elevation. As mentioned, there is a large number of "NC wooded" holes, a few open holes. In the back nine there are a lot of challenging wooded. From the long tees, only 4 holes under 300', two are the first two holes, so it's a nice "warm-up" to get you into your round.
- the pads are a plus here. Large, newer concrete pads. Many of the holes have two pads - with the long pads providing a much more challenging, different look at the hole
- flow and signs were good. Especially liked arrows to next teepad, and directional arrows mid-hole when you had a blind shot on the basket.
Cons: - front nine was very swampy (played on a wet week)
- sometimes where there were two pads, and they were a few hundred feet apart, you have to walk up to the front pad to view the sign. If you're familiar with the course, I'm sure it's not an issue.
- I take issue with some of the assigned pars (especially on the back nine) in both directions (too easy, too hard) - in particular, #16 long pad - to clear the mando, you are essentially laying up to the short pad. - but it's the same par as the short pad?
Other Thoughts: Based on the ratings, I was expecting more. It was a good course, but I would slot it behind the better Charlotte courses (which I don't think the he ratings accurately reflect). Maybe it was because it was drizzling the round, maybe I slept poorly the night before.... Anyway, the front nine and back nine seem to be two different "animals". The front seemed like the it was well developed, the two pads providing very different opportunities, mostly flat and more open. I felt like the assigned pars were fair with moderately challenging lines. Then you go into the back nine, and it becomes a much more challenging course. The elevation changes are pretty spectacular for a non-mountain (I guess morrow mth is close) course. I'm in pretty good shape but was breathing hard after going up the hills - not a bad thing, just a little unusual. I feel like the second pad was added on the front nine, and they stopped or are awaiting funding for the second pad for most of the back nine? It seems like there is space. Having the two pads on the back would bump my rating up a slot. I feel like many of the back fairways are too tight. The woods aren't super dense, so you can miss your gap, and still end up with a decent shot (which happened many time for me), but I didn't have the satisfaction of executing my shot, I just felt lucky. I'm not complaining, I could just see a very frustrating round if all those shots were a few feet to the left or right. Someone had "cleared" a path from tee to basket. With the wetness it was actually really slick. Looks cool, maybe not safe. If the fairways were a tad bigger, the advantage over the CLT courses would be the elevation changes.

5+    1/8/2014   1/9/2014
Review By: 40 love
Pros: I am a beginner, and I have only played a half dozen courses, but based on my experiences , this is a terrific test for any player. It requires the full bag of shots, left , right, up, down, short, and long!!
And fairways are generally tight, lots of trees, some brush, and sloping terrain , which makes you rethink how you play some shots.
Finally, great exercise in a beautiful mostly wooded setting, and it is part a wonderful city park, with restrooms, picnic tables, tennis courts, and play ground for small children.

Cons: Long tees need signs/ markers, although they are easy to see.
Could use a few more trash receptacles on the course.
Other Thoughts: Being a beginner, this course is very difficult for me, but, because of this, it helps when I venture to other courses. I am better prepared.

The Gem

5+    1/6/2014   1/6/2014
Review By: mateobueno
This review was updated on 1/19/2014
Pros: As the ball golf saying goes, Fox Chase seems to have been found, not built. There is rolling terrain, thick Forrest, open grassy areas, brooks and streams meandering, and elevation changes throughout. The holes are equally varied: some short, some tight, doglegs left and right, and most offer a wide choice for your disc's flight.
Cons: Please don't litter!
Other Thoughts: Great test from the tips.

Am I Chasing, or Being Chased

1    11/16/2013   11/18/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Hole nine. Hole nine. Hole nine. I don't mean to detract from any of the other holes at Fox Chase, but wow, hole nine is a beast. It's a combination of an over-the-valley shot and a straight tunnel shot. It's like a Richmond Hill throw, only if you had a precise throwing lane just wide enough for it to be possible. It's 300 feet down an tight alley with a climb to the basket at the end. It's an amazing throw that can reward or punish and it's just as pretty to look at as it is to throw on. The trees are so dense and not in the sense of brush, in the sense of the quantity of thick trunks on either side of the fairway.

So other than that one hole, that I'm still thinking about days later, the course merely typifies everything good about Carolina disc golf. It's wooded. It's tight. It's technical. There are courses in the state of this type that are mediocre. There are courses in NC of this type that are good. Fox Chase is one of the greats.

What helps separate this Fox from the pack is the clever use of elevation. There are several holes that treat a sharp ascent or descent as a means to create variety. Of special note is seventeen, which is a long climb. A long, steep climb I should say. (You might be tempted to throw all of your discs, just to be spared carrying the weight on your journey to the top.) Five is also a nice downhill run with the creek just behind the basket.

Almost any positive way to describe a course could apply to Fox Chase. It's tough but fair. It requires a ton of different shots. It goes up, down, right and left. It does it all. There's an incredible variety with no two shots feeling similar.

There are even some open holes. Three and Four traverse a meadow. Six and Seven are wooded but much more forgiving than most of the course, with wide fairways that boast enough sunlight for grass to grow.

Tees, baskets and signs are all off to snuff here. There are some great courses that I play and say something, "glad I saw that one." This isn't one of those. Fox Chase is one of those that you play and say "let's do one more round."
Cons: It seems the whites were the primary tees, so I played those. It would be great, although, not expected, if the blue tees were as well appointed as the whites. In addition to the signs only being on the whites, it seemed most holes were created with the white tees in mind.

Other than that, there isn't too much length here, with the white tees featuring twelve holes under 300 feet, and the blues only having one hole significantly more than 500. I wouldn't change any of the holes as they are universally fantastic, but length is one of the two elements that this course doesn't cover.

The other is water. It makes sense. Water isn't really a notable part of North Carolina discing. The course does what it wants to do so well, I don't actually mind that it doesn't do a few things.
Other Thoughts: We raced the autumn sun to get here, and maintained a brisk pace to finish before dark. I was totally stressed that we weren't going to make it but the course was worth the worry. It's a little bit out of the way for most people, but it's worth it.

Amazing Course

2-4    4/22/2013   4/28/2013
Review By: nalu222
Pros: Wow what a surprise. Played this course on my way through Albemarle. The course is very well designed overall. Awesome elevation changes and opportunity's to air out the discs as well as required technical shots. The course is very well maintained. Trimmed grass fairways and a variety of terrains. The course flows very well and would say this course is championship worthy.
Cons: One simple flaw that can easily be remedied. The signs should be on the back tees not the front ones. I had to walk up to the front ones to find out where the holes were like 9 times. Most of the paths lead to the back tees anyways. Seems logical enough.
Other Thoughts: Great job! I will definitely be back to play this course.

1    3/30/2013   4/8/2013
Review By: _MTL_
Pros: Very easy flow, multiple tee pads, great tee signs / signage. Front 9 loops back to the start. 2 tee pads. Very cool piece of property, very nice park.
Cons: Hole 1 was a bit hard to find.
Other Thoughts: This is a classic example of a course where the perfect course is a combination of long and short tees. There are so many boring tweener par 4's on this course it's mind numbing. I enjoyed the course but I don't feel the design is that great. saying that, the land and the course are very good, but I just feel that a lot more could have be done. But I will certainly play it again.

Love me some Fox

1    11/21/2012   11/21/2012
Review By: Disc Junky
Pros: Such an Amazing Park.

Any shot you can imagine apart from water is at this course.
You want a 300 foot valley shoot then its there. You want a 100 foot elevation change hill its there. Left and right dog legs alike.

Signs to next tee are at every basket so navigation is very easy.

Hole 11 was by far my favorite hole at the course with a 305 foot throw over a large valley its just beautiful.

1-7 play out pretty straight forward, but once your past that, you are gonna love the use of elevation at this beautiful course.

You'll go uphill and downhill dog leg left with a 100 foot elevation change.

Plenty of seating at every single hole.

Very clean and well kept course.

The design to me is just amazing. It rivals my favorite course of Idlewild in Burlington, KY and that's saying a lot.
Cons: Its very hard to find any but there is a missing sign at hole 9.

Some different lines would be nice if they were added. Its pretty much one line to get to the hole.

Some steps could be added for some of the steeper elevation changes. It does get a bit tiring going up and down hills through the back part of this course.
Other Thoughts: If your passing through NC and are within a couple hours of Fox Chase then do yourself a favor and play this course. I'm happy I live less then an hour away from it. I will be going back many times.

Great Course!

2-4    7/22/2012   7/24/2012
Review By: AustnSavage
Pros: -Great layout
-Beautiful area
-Challenging
Cons: Not many that I can think of. Great course to visit if you're nearby!
Other Thoughts: Went with a buddy of mine while we were in NC. Had no desire to visit any other courses because Fox Chase is so fun! Highly recommend it!

< Prev 1 2 3 4