Nashville, TN
Naval Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: bjreagh Hole #15 (Taken 7/2014)
-- / --   3 / 640ft.   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

My new home course

5+    8/7/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: johnnyfoodstamp
This review was updated on 8/9/2014
Pros: I've waited forever for this course and it did not disappoint. Exactly the high quality I expected from Shelby Park. As soon as I parked and walked up I knew it was going to be nice. Pretty little putting practice circle with a bulletin board for local events. Concrete tee pads and signs are all brand new and nice. I like how the tee signs are low and out of the way but very descriptive. Baskets are suhweet and catch discs nicely. Each hole has a sign on the bottom that tells you where the next tee is located, which I found to be of great help the first time I played through. As a matter of fact the whole course flows very nicely and I never found myself really wondering where to go next. The open holes are gorgeous. True "disc golf" holes. Multiple shot lines and multiple pin positions for each hole. Excellent use of the elevation and terrain. Roads determine OB on a lot of the front nine and there are a few fences to contend with on the back nine.

The wooded holes are a great challenge as they tend to be shorter but much more control is necessary for that birdie shot.

There are multiple pin positions for each basket and just about every time I come out here something is different but it's always marked on the sign and easy to follow, which is nice. A few benches are scattered throughout right where you need them most.
Cons: Well, it's a new course so the rough is ROUGH. And I mean rough. I mean don't even throw anywhere near the woods on any hole or you will regret it. There also tends to be lots of garbage due to lack of garbage cans, though I believe a lot of it is from drive through traffic as well. And at Hole 11/12 there is a Turd Research Facility that stinks to high heaven and almost makes me throw up in my mouth. It was really hot out there the other day and I felt like I could taste it.
Other Thoughts: Naval Hill is Nashville's newest disc golf course. Located in East Nashville's Shelby Park, this course is extremely close to both downtown and East Nashville's excellent 5 Points area. Keep that in mind if you're in the mood for some pizza and beers after the round! I've seen other reviewers complain about the area but believe me, I've lived here for 8+ years, it's been gentrified 10 times over. If you want to completely avoid driving through the ghetto you can just take Shelby down to 17th and take a right. Takes you directly to Hole 1. If your still scared you should probably just go hide in a cave somewhere.

1    7/10/2014   7/23/2014
Review By: bjreagh
Pros: Though mostly city-park style with wide grassy areas dotted and large mature trees as obstacles, there are a few tighter technical holes mixed in, as well as some normal type o.b. like a creek, fences, and roads. I thought the designers did a nice job of balancing straight, left, and right holes, as well as many where you have options to choose your line. There is also a good deal of elevation, some up and down, but several sidehills providing good challenge on placing your upshots near the basket as well as possible rollaway putts. Most holes are your basic par 3 (drive, approach, putt), but there are several birdie chances if you can throw 320'-350', and even one hole at 600'. So overall, a decent mix of hole type.

Excellent concrete tees (the last of which were being poured the day I played.) Good size and grip, level, and easy to spot.

New Discatcher baskets, with clear hole numbers. Also, I think every hole had at least an A and B location- and these are placed are different distances as well as varying angles, so the possibility is there to keep the course fresh to regulars if the baskets are moved regularly.

Great putting practice area- has its own basket and several flush markers in the ground with distances marked (15', 25', 40' etc.)

Kiosk had lots of info, and a large color course map. Simple, but effective tee signs with hole info, distances, color map. Signs are placed near the front of tee pad but low to the ground, which I like so they are not in my way or view when throwing. Navigation was simple with the "next tee" sign at every basket (I wish every course would do this!)

Lots of parking/two picnic pavilions.

This is now the closest course to downtown Nashville, and is really close to it at that.

Cool feature- a sign on the kiosk said you could borrow discs for FREE at the park office. I did not go the office to get more details (wasn't sure where it was), but this is great for growing the sport, especially to kids in the area who may want to try it out.
Cons: The biggest notice in elevation happens, not while throwing, but 3 times during longer walks uphill from one hole to the next- no big deal though, disc golf is supposed to be exercise, and I think there were benches each time if one needs a little breather.

The road/greenway does come in to play frequently. No big deal, just use some common sense and yield to cars, bikes, and walkers. The first 3-4 holes do play closely parallel to one another. I played on a weekday and had no issues, but on nice weekends it might be busy.

The course is close to the Cumberland River, too bad it only comes in view on one or two holes, and never is in play. The only water hazards then are a small creek, which I would guess to be very low most of the time except for in the spring.

The was a minor odor on holes 8 and 9, either from the creek, or the small water treatment looking facility you play around. Nothing too horrible or long-lasting.

For being a park, there were no permanent restrooms nearby that I saw, only a port-a-pottie.
Other Thoughts: The course is called Naval Hill, but is located in Shelby Bottoms Park. As soon as you enter the park, take an immediate left (you will see baskets everywhere) then park at the top of the hill near the kiosk and picnic pavilions.

Some might be hesitant to play here based on the surrounding areas reputation, but other than having to drive through some low-income housing and an industrial park, once in the park it seems safe enough, especially with the greenway running along side, and the disc golf course backing up to the ball golf course.

I have never been a big fan of the nearby Two Rivers course. Though there are some similarities in style, I would choose to play Naval Hill over Two Rivers any day. (and for you super outdoors people, the two courses are actually connected by about 5 miles of greenway if you want to bike or jog from one course to the next!)

Of course if you want a bigger disc golf challenge then stick to Seven Oaks and Cedar Hill. If visiting from out of town, and can't make it all the way to Sharp Springs and/or Crockett, but want more to play, then this is not a bad choice to add as a warm-up or evening chill-out round.

Overall, I am glad Nashville now has a course like this one that can cater to all skill levels of disc golf and be enjoyed by all. And I really appreciated the design and attention to detail of this new course. Great job by the locals in charge and keep up the good work!

Shelby

5+    6/7/2014   6/21/2014
Review By: Declarkus
Pros: Nice practice basket with distance markers on the ground. The concrete pads are nice. Good signage w/ course map.
#6 -- It's a fun tunnel shot with a hard fade across the creek. A lot of great work was done. Steps leading up the hill from the bridge across the creek were recently added.
A path has been cut out from 8 basket to 9 tee, fixing a previous flow issue
#9 bench in the tree is very cool.
I like the new #19 running back to the parking lot.
Cons: #1 tends to have the most park goers. I've seen everything from people sleeping in hammocks to group yoga on that hole.
First 5 holes are a little close to each other.
1,2,5,10,12,13,17,18 all pose potential road hazards.
Elevation -- the worst spots are the hike from 6 to 7 and from 14 to 15 and 15 (placement at the bottom of the hill) to 16.
Only benches on 2,6,7,9 and maybe 15.
Half the pads are still carpet
Other Thoughts: I think the area was used well, although it does get tight in areas.The flow is easy to follow except for crossing the road from 12, one might walk to the 17 pad to the left by mistake. #13 pad is by the dead looking tree. The layout also makes it easy to skip around if its crowded, which it rarely is.
When the wind is over 10mph, the back 9 can get tough being so wide open on the face of a hill by the river. I also don't remember ever smelling bad odors.
It's a fun course that could be described as flick friendly. The crew has done a lot of great work and they're constantly making improvements.

Naval Hill

2-4    4/27/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: mhansen11
Pros: Front nine as mentioned before is great. Holes 5/6/8 are by far my favorite on the course.

So far, I haven't ran into a bunch of traffic which is nice, but I'm sure it will pick up as more are made aware of the course.
Cons: As mentioned before, there are some brutal hills. But, it makes for a great workout!
Other Thoughts: This is the closest course to me now, which is great. I would call it my favorite local course. Its fun, semi technical on a number of holes and at this time really clean with some nice views.

Like the old Two Rivers course, with more trees

1    4/27/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: Fleet
Pros: I really liked the front nine. Right when I thought it was going to be the same "shoot around some trees in a field" theme for everything, we came to hole 5, which along with 6, 8, and 9, made for some very interesting shots.

There's a neat bench cut into a fallen tree on hole 9.

The back nine isn't terrible, one 641-foot hole, but otherwise nothing memorable.

Signage is nice, took me a while to notice that the pin placements are actually marked on them.

Practice basket at the beginning has markers up to 45-feet (at least) so you can see how far away you are. The writing on them is already fading so you kind have to guess which is which.
Cons: Hills. Oh my God, hills. The walk from 6 to 7 is atrocious. You play kind of sideways on a good number of holes.

18 doesn't finish by the parking lot, so you have to foot it back to your car. Uphill, just a little bit, but it's noticeable.

It smells *horrible* around 11, 12, and 17.

Could use some more benches. There are a few around but they aren't really where they're needed - like, towards the end when you're tired from all that hill work.
Other Thoughts: There's currently clover all over the place. Watch your disc because it's easy to lose it in a wide-open field.

A few holes play close to the road, but any cars we saw had slowed down around us, there was never any danger of hitting any body.

The first hole you see after hole 12 is hole 17 across the street. You have to keep walking past that to find hole 13.

Mind the fences on 11,12, and 14.

5+    1/20/2014   1/29/2014
Review By: Genegoesfast
Pros: This course utilizes the land its built on perfectly. The views of the Nashville skyline are awesome! Despite being a rather open course, the layout makes it feel much more challenging and interesting. There are many holes that take advantage of the elevation changes the landscape offers. The pads and signage that are installed are high quality and all the baskets are brand new.
Cons: There's a lot of walking up and down large hills. The pathway from 8's basket plops you right into 9's fairway.
Other Thoughts: The course feels predominately left to right. Holes 11-18 are currently temp. with carpet tees and hand drawn signs.

Well done,.

1    11/30/2013   12/2/2013
Review By: refriedjay
Pros: For the space given by the city of Nashville, I would say this is an extremely well conceived course. Several holes cause you to sweat- several high risk/reward type shots.

I also enjoyed walking up to a tee-box and thinking, "that's a great pin placement".

For a rather "open" type park, they really managed to create diversity in difficulty and shot placement.

Great baskets, great concrete tee boxes, good signage.
Cons: Not all the teeboxes are finished.

A few times, I found myself walking way up or across a hill, to get to the next tee.
Other Thoughts: I think this course has great promise and potential.