Yorktown Heights, NY
FDR State Park Share

Great Course, almost there

2-4    10/29/2014   10/31/2014
Review By: hawk12
Pros: Love the design and mix of wooded and open field holes, this should allow various types of players to have a chance to score well in tournaments.
TWO BASKETS on every hole!! Very nice and not all that common. I did play both baskets several times to play and get a feel for the differences, and they both presented different levels of golf and would be appropriate for AMs/Pros playing in a tournament, as well as adding choices for the casual player every day. These two layouts white/yellow did play very different and was a good use of multiple lines/greens/challenges between the two layouts.

The wooded holes on the front 9 have a nice mix of elevation, left and right turning holes, variety, and all play very fair. I'm a wooded player and really liked the tight lines that are available, as well as some of the 'choices' given to an anhyzer/hyzer shot from some of the tees.

The back 9 is mostly open with large mature trees that allow big arms to let loose. The mature trees ensure that those long throws still need be accurate, and will punish a bad throw, which is not always easy on mostly open land. Good choice of lines and shot variety on the back 9. I disagree with previous reviews that these play boring/similar holes.
Cons: Tee pads need work still, I can see that a LOT of the hard work to dig out and level many of them has already been done, so finishing them off and leveling the ground would help a good bit. Even the fly pads, which may be in new areas since the redesign, could use some stone dust and a 4x4 base to tamp/grade them and make an awesome tee surface. I understand the work that has gone into the fairways and green areas comes first, and that this may very well be on the "To Do" list.

Some of the holes have nice signs showing where the next tees is, but about half the holes I did not see anything. EXCEPT that someone thought to have orange landscaping flags laid out like breadcrumbs leading me to the next holes, I believe that was for the tournament the previous weekend, but it really helped me find my way. More navigation would help the traveling golfers.

Out side of the 'small stuff' that can be remedied, the course has very little cons. Fixing these issues, I'd easily adjust my rating up to a 4.
Other Thoughts: Never played the course before the 2013 redesign, but did see several older unused tees and those holes appear much better than the previous ones.
The park itself is very nice, clean bathrooms, plenty of parking, running water, safe area, picnic areas and grills, etc. As far as amenities, FDR park has all you need. There is a fee in season, but that can expected in many parks.

Overall the course fits in well with the surroundings and uses the land fairly well. Some of the back 9 might have conflicts with walkers/children in busy times as the playground area is between holes 16/17 (I think its those 2 holes), but I didn't see where else the course could go and didn't explore anywhere else int he park, nor am I aware of any restrictions the park might have put on the designed that 'pinned in' the land that was made available. Guessing here, but I think the designer did well with what was "available land"

Overall a very good course, with potential to become a great one. I would definitely make the 4hr drive to come up for a tournament, so that says all you need to know.
Keep up the good work!

FDR Course

1    9/6/2014   9/8/2014
Review By: Lord Hondo
Pros: Front 9 are very challenging (only played the white baskets) and mostly wooded. The whole course makes you test every shot you have in your arsenal or shows you how much more practice you need. Hole 5 was the most memorable whole to me, 510ft to the pin sitting on the side of a scenic lake. Throwing downhill through a tunnel of trees, you can be rewarded handsomely if you get it right, or almost throw it into the lake like me. Tees were nice and signage was great.
Literally its own exit from the Taconic parkway, couldnt be anymore convenient.
Cons: Long holes...I like me a long hole, but one after the other can make them just plain boring. I would rather have 2 different holes in the space that was taken for one flat ground 700ft hole. It was the end of the summer and my buddy and i made the mistake of thinking we didnt need high socks, huge mistake. The rough and out of bounds were unforgiving, you really needed spotters for most of the holes on the back 9. The fantastic tick signs were a constant reminder of our sock folly.
Other Thoughts: Had to pay for parking cause its in season, but thats not that big a deal for the quality of the course.

Really Long course!

1    10/15/2013   5/13/2014
Review By: beacon1b
Pros: Wide variety of open field and wooded holes.
Cons: Difficult to find some tees, and know where the baskets are. Fairly long walks between many tees.
Other Thoughts: The course has had improvements since I played last year, so I look forward to playing again.

FDR

1    4/12/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: SnowSerf
Pros: I can't believe no one has reviewed this course. It is a beast! New hole layouts and super long. Two holes 700+ and many over 500. Two baskets on each hole and nice tee boxes. Mainly flat with some woods on the front and open areas for the long holes. Close to the Taconic. Westchester Disc Golf Enthusiasts keeps good care of the course and puts on some PDGA events.
Cons: The first tee is a little hard to find as all the kiosks we could find had no dg information on them. From May until October you have to pay to park so if you're going for just the course, (its a huge park with lots of stuff going on), you'll have to pay up.