Niles, MI
Madeline Bertrand Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChick Hole #5 (Taken 4/2008)
Hole #5 Tee: Basket is around to the right. Many players try to throw through the V shaped tree. If you get into the trees straight ahead you run the risk of rolling down a hill.

She's My Chubby Girlfriend

5+    11/18/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: TorboniousD
This review was updated on 3/22/2012
Pros: I absolutely love this course and as a beginner it has taught me the values of having more in my bag then a bunch of drivers. Yes, you can probably play the whole course with a putter, but practicing a heavy S-curve while threading the needle in a heavily wooded area with a fairway-driver has its value too. Great mid-range shots and putting are important in this game too, or so I've been told. I'm no Happy Gilmore, but the narrow fairways have done a good job of helping me to straighten out my drives as well, and I find even when I'm off the fairway, the underbrush is pretty well beat down so unless the throw is completely horrible, I can find my disc no problem. The staff is completely friendly unless you decide to break the local county laws. They also have three tournaments a year with multiple teirs from the novice to open for trophies and swag. Only $20 which includes all-day play, parking, lunch and drinks. I call this course "My Chubby Girlfriend" because she's clean, nice to my new friends, and after getting my feelings hurt somewhere else I can come to her and she makes me feel like a hero. Great pro shop, and at the end of the year they sell all their discs at HUGE discounts...
Cons: For what they charge, if they kept the course up in the winter they would make bank. This sport has no "season', so I would give them much higher marks if they kept it open year-round. ANYWAY, yes, it's a short course. Play it twice and shoot for par, hero. YES, it is expensive. Park at the Indiana park south of it and walk over the border (most people do) or do like I do and buy an annual play and another annual parking pass (save $20 if you buy both at the same time for $60) which also gives you access to another county park that has a sweet beach on Lake Michigan. It pays for itself in a couple weeks if you play often enough. The signage also doesn't show the pin/tee location, but they have maps or join a couple locals playing.
Other Thoughts: It also has a great putting basket and they also sometimes add extra holes for the tournaments. AND to this date I can't ever recall seeing ANYONE walking around with just a putter... DID YOU KNOW THE LATE, GREAT ED HEADRICK designed this course?!

Pay it to play it

2-4    10/18/2009   10/18/2009
Review By: MDeezy
This review was updated on 2/5/2012
Pros: Well maintained reasonable woods course. Great for beginners and intermediates alike. Great ace runs and birdie opportunities. Winds through secluded woods and plays with some rolling elevation. Nice cement pads and trash cans at most holes. Cool putting area by hole 1, and great pro shop plus facilities on site.
Cons: Short holes and lack of variety might not appeal to all players. You are charged a fee for your car and individual player fees.
Other Thoughts: This course is a solid 3.5. I enjoy playing this course on my way to or from South Bend or Chicago. It doesn't take too long to play and always provides a good round. Most shots don't require a big drive, but a controlled mid range. Very nice layout, course flows well.