Niles, MI
Madeline Bertrand Park Share
Uploaded By: DiscChick Hole #7 (Taken 4/2008)
View from the tee

< Prev 1 2 3
Stands the test of time.

1    7/3/2015   7/5/2015
Review By: prerube
Pros: I went into this course expecting a lame flat pitch and putt, but was impressed by how much the course has been able to stay relevant with new disc technology. It is still a mostly putter course, but the holes are as good as you can get under 200 feet.

This is a Steady Ed course, play it just for the history.

The fairways are very fair for the distance and the holes are scenic.

Nice tee pads, good flow, and navigation.

Pro shop had a good selection of discs.

They read Apdryva's review and you now get a score card with a map when you pay.

Area around the course was flooded, but the course had no flooding or drainage issues.
Cons: There are 7 holes shorter than 200 feet, which limits the level of challenge.

This is not a tournament caliber course. I saw a doubles tournament sign and thought, "How in the world would that work if I as a mediocre player can get a 2 on half of the holes"

COST. The cost ($4) sounds semi-reasonable, but for a course that is so short $5 to park and $4 to play was a lot for less than an hour of playing. plus my wife and daughter were not allowed to walk the course with me unless they paid an additional $8.

No signage other than distance
Other Thoughts: This course was a blast to play.
One thing I think about after leaving a course. Were there holes exciting enough where I wanted to throw more than one disc, YES
Would I return to this course if I were local? Absolutely, even for $7 (local cost) per round.

Hole Notes:
1. Straight and easy at 180'
2. Right turn with blind basket
3. Right turn near 90 degrees only 202'
4. Right then left S curve 345 feet. Legit par 3
5. Plinko shot 182' slight right.
6. looks longer, but the correct basket is down hill. 303'
7. 189' uphill slight right.
8. 2 or die hole. 152' simple putter hole
9. Narrow 191.
Front 9 as a 900 rated player I shot a 22 with one bogey
10. scenic hole over slight valley 193'.
11. Blind anny shot (RHBH) or RHFH over a hill. 300' Easy 3, but very hard 2.
12. Closest to signature hole. Easy 2 165' over "valley"
13. Long and narrow over valley. Only 376 feet, but it is a legitimate Par 4.
14. Straight, narrow and short 232'
15. 292' narrow dog leg left. quality Par 3
16. 224' multiple fairways for any style of shot.
17. 231' easy birdie
18. 239' Subtle S curve with slight down hill. Easy to end up in brush behind basket. requiring an amazing putt ofr 2 or a simple drop in 3.

Its ok at best

1    4/26/2015   4/26/2015
Review By: Paul420MW
Pros: Clean, well maintained, well manicured, nice baskets, cement teepads
Cons: Seems to be run by overbearing obnoxious park attendants that seem to be more concerned with posting signs about all the police patrols and collecting their fees for discgolf. This course is definitely not worth the $4.

2-4    4/1/2015   4/16/2015
Review By: Jpopi1995
Pros: Very well Maintained.
Tee's are nice and clear
Holes are challenging but not impossible
Shop is loaded with goodies
Nice staff.
Cons: Paying to play on top of a fee to park you car is annoying
Last tee off is relatively early (6 P.M. on the day we went)
Other Thoughts: Worth visiting

5+    6/9/2014   6/9/2014
Review By: Indiana574
Pros: Nice teepads pretty clean. A garbage can at almost every hole. Nice pro shop with a good selection of innova disc
Cons: Some hole are pretty short. Pay to play some ppl don't like this but I have never cared
Other Thoughts: Very nice park threw the woods hole 12 is pretty cool

a little slice of history

1    3/29/2013   3/29/2013
Review By: apdrvya
Aesthetic- Course winds through a moderately dense wood and intertwines with a hiking trail. no other activities take place around/near the dg course. Beautiful park.

Teepads- Big, level and pointed in the general direction of the basket. helpful for when signage is missing.

Baskets- mach v and in good repair. grippy, they catch discs nicely.

Routing/Nav- easy easy, the paths are pretty easy to follow and have been followed for years so they are super worn in.
100% signage would help though.

elevation/uniqueness- there are some very unique holes here. #11 comes to mind where it follows the culvert left then right, immediately followed by the little "ravine" shot. Elevation is used fairly well where it is available.

Upkeep/Staff- the upkeep is reasonably nice and the staff is super friendly in the proshop/visitor center.

It's a steady ed course!- nice to play a course designed by the godfather.
Pay to play- I have to agree on this one. if I am paying $11 for two people to throw here, I expect 100% signage or a score card or something to help with navigation

Variety/length- most holes are sub 250' and don't offer a ton of challenge. putter/ mid off of the tee and putt (putt) done.
Other Thoughts: as a piece of history from a different era this is a definite stop for anyone in the area (south bend area) but a destination course, it certainly is not. a very quick play and fun but not much challenge.

Old School (Updated 2013)

5+    7/5/2013   9/2/2012
Review By: davetherocketguy
This review was updated on 7/6/2013
Pros: - Great layout - while it might be short it is a ton of fun.
- Some holes are very ace-able but because of pin and tee-pad layout many are not.
- Benches and trash cans at most tees. Didn't really keep track of exactly how many there were but it certainly seemed like more than enough.
- Unique holes (like 12) that play off of an elevated tee and throw over a small ravine which make play fun.
- Staff I encountered were pleasant and professional.
- This is set in a nice park which has oodles of walking trails.
- The baskets, while a little old are in great shape.
- Nice little pro-shop. Not something you see everyday. Too bad they only carry Innova discs but the prices seemed very reasonable.
- Fairly clean when I have played here. Seems that trash is picked up and taken care of for the most part.
- New in 2013 are all sorts of steps and erosion control measures in place all over the course. This is a much needed improvement. Very nicely done and kudos to the staff for getting it put into place.
- Tournaments...These are unsanctioned and there is no payout but they are a lot of fun. All sorts of door prizes handed out, lunch included and trophies for the top in each division.
Cons: - Pay to play - While this isn't really much of a con they do charge for parking AND for disc golf. If you come, bring a big carload and keep the cost per player down.
- If pay to play weren't annoying enough there is the wristband thing the park is doing. Every player is required to don a wristband and it has to go ON YOUR wrist. Completely unneeded IMHO and extraordinarily irritating. Two words Berrien County...BAG TAGS.
- Short. Very Very short. No place to really open up and rip it. Even with my noodle-arm that can only manage 300 to 320 there really aren't very many decent spots to let one go. Hole #1 is almost a joke with a dead-straight wide open shot at 180'. Yawn.
- Huge numbers of people play here. Not a big deal but some lessons in etiquette would be a big plus. Groups as large as 10
Other Thoughts: This is a very old course in terms of disc golf. While it is a fantastic layout it is an out-dated design. Even so, it is in many ways rather timeless since it is still challenging and fun to play.

if you are in the area hit this course up. It is worth the time and money IMHO. While it may not be an Idlewilde or a Flip City by any stretch it is truly unique disc golf experience. Try to avoid weekends and holidays and the crowds should be manageable.

Fun for a power lunch

5+    8/8/2012   8/8/2012
Review By: stoltzjl77
This review was updated on 7/25/2013
Pros: Beginner-friendly but requires a variety of shots. Fairways nicely-shaped by woods that can be thick in places to penalize errant tee shots. Course is clean and in decent condition, and while it is missing signs the layout is intuitive for the most part with a nice map on the scorecard in case you get turned around.
Gullies add fun potential elevation changes on some holes.
Decent selection in pro shop - watch for sales as you can get essentially dealer pricing when they are clearing out inventory.
***Updated 2013*** Adding a half-star because somebody did a fantastic job sprucing up the course over the winter - erosion control and new signage added, course looks fantastic!
Cons: Short. Very short. And it is too compact to allow for alternate tees or pin positions to be installed.
Pay to play and park, though the combined annual pass is reasonably-priced - get your money back after 8 or 9 rounds.
Other Thoughts: If I didn't live/work close enough to the park to make the season pass worth it I'd be more upset about paying to play. It really is a nice course and the baskets are in great shape, as are the tee pads.
It is a fun course to play if you can get away for an hour at lunch and sneak in a quick round - no danger of spending more than 30-35 minutes here!

Get Technical

1    7/26/2012   8/2/2012
Review By: alexjensen
Pros: This course was a blast to play and a must play if you are in the area. Though fairly short, this course is very technical and offers a variety of shots. Every hole is fairly tight and offers a variety of lines to get to the hole. Anytime I am wrestling in my bag with what disc to throw I know I'm on an excellent course.

Tons of tree obstacles, but not impossible ones. Clear but challenging lines to just about every pin.

Good pro shop, which I replaced a disc I had lost a few weeks prior at, very reasonable prices. I always enjoy getting a scorecard and course map as well, which they had in the shop for free.

I elected to bring the majority of my bag out on this course, which I was glad for. You will literally need to throw every midrange and putter you have in your bag to play this course. As stated before, a driver is not incredibly necessary if you can bomb a midrange over 300, but I used every disc in my bag on this course.

It is very well trimmed so there isn't too much worries about loosing a disc. Everything off the main lines is pretty clear, and there is enough traffic to pack all the thick brush down.

I play with my girlfriend who throws around 200. This course was awesome for the two of us to play because we could stay competitive without the length giving me an unfair advantage.
Cons: It costs $4 to play, but it's totally worth it. I wouldn't say the length is a con because I'm a fan of the shorter more technical courses.

Don't bring a new player here as it's way too technical for someone that is just starting to have fun at.

You're not allowed to drink on the course, but I did and didn't get in any trouble for it. There are plenty of garbage cans too toss the empties.

The course wasn't super well marked, but the trails are clear enough to understand where to go. I had to run up multiple holes to find out where the pin was. This was slightly annoying as I really appreciate a good hole map at the beginning of every hole.This is my biggest con of the course.
Other Thoughts: Way too fun not to play if you're in the area. As long as you're with a group of players willing to throw the technical courses you will have a blast.

Decent short course

1    7/15/2012   7/15/2012
Review By: cmchavis
Pros: The course was put in in 1985 and it shows. The course and the hole lengths in general are, by today's standards, short. The longest hole is 376' and the entire course length is 4240' but despite the length, the course is fun to play. Lending to this - the course has a nice variety of tree obstacles, hole variety and is well maintained.

The standard amenities are present - concrete tees, a practice basket, benches, etc. An Eagle Scout's project was to add benches and there is a bench available at each hole which is nice and they get used because this course gets busy.

The pro shop has pencils and scorecards available. back of the scorecard has a course map, but the course is well laid out and doesn't really need a map. There were only two navigational issues we had. First was hole 6 - the basket is offset and if you look straight ahead on the 6 fairway, you see the basket for 7. The basket for 6 is obviously though if you are looking around.The other item was the steps leading up to the 12 tee - at the basket for 11 there are other paths leading away from the basket, so be sure to take the steps up to the next tee and not the path. Simple enough though.

Holes 12 and 13 are pretty cool 'throws over a ravine' type shot. For beginners, the thrill of having to throw over the ravine is pretty cool - although 12 is short, having the elevated tee is cool. Most of the other holes are straight shots - but offer some mid line shaping opportunities.

Saw a few groups of, what I guessed were dads out with their kids playing was pretty cool. My 7 year old threw on a couple holes and did well on a few holes.

Regular restrooms at 1 & 18 by the visitors center.

Cons: I did notice a few missing tee signs, but having the scorecard map available and for most of the holes, you can see the basket from the tee made the tee signs unnecessary.

This is a short course, so it's not a very big con, but the course starts at the parking lot and doesn't return again till 18. The entire course is tree covered, but on a hot one - bring a drink.

As stated above and just about every other review - length. There are 7 holes under 200' for the majority of holes the basket is a straight shot from the tee.

With today's players being able to throw well over the hole length here. There were a couple holes where people were teeing off and throwing into a group that was teeing off on the next hole.
Other Thoughts: The pro shop has a great selection of discs for a decent price which is a nice surprise for a county park. Pay for disc golf at the visitor center - they do take debit with a $5 minimum.

There is a sign posted that no walk-alongs are allowed on the course and that all people on the course must have wrist bands. I took the family and they walked with me without a problem. $4.00 for a wrist band - that allows unlimited play, so play a couple times.

Holes 3, 5 and 18 are the only real right handed hooks on the course - RHBH. So having a highly overstable utility disc helps here for a sidearm throw. As stated in other reviews though - you don't need any high speed distance drivers here. In fact, there isn't any need, at all, for long bombs - the longest hole (376') has a fairly narrow gap straight out from the tee, so having a good straight driver is about all you need here. A stable mid or even a putter will get you through most of the other holes.

Overall a decent little course. Being out of state and only having time to play a single round - I probably wouldn't go back for $9. ($5 parking - $4 DG) but if I had time to play a couple rounds I would stop in and play. If I lived close I'd get the pass to work on my short game.

This is probably a 2.5 course, but it's fun and quick, so it gets the bump up.

She's My Chubby Girlfriend

5+    11/18/2011   9/28/2011
Review By: TorboniousD
This review was updated on 3/22/2012
Pros: I absolutely love this course and as a beginner it has taught me the values of having more in my bag then a bunch of drivers. Yes, you can probably play the whole course with a putter, but practicing a heavy S-curve while threading the needle in a heavily wooded area with a fairway-driver has its value too. Great mid-range shots and putting are important in this game too, or so I've been told. I'm no Happy Gilmore, but the narrow fairways have done a good job of helping me to straighten out my drives as well, and I find even when I'm off the fairway, the underbrush is pretty well beat down so unless the throw is completely horrible, I can find my disc no problem. The staff is completely friendly unless you decide to break the local county laws. They also have three tournaments a year with multiple teirs from the novice to open for trophies and swag. Only $20 which includes all-day play, parking, lunch and drinks. I call this course "My Chubby Girlfriend" because she's clean, nice to my new friends, and after getting my feelings hurt somewhere else I can come to her and she makes me feel like a hero. Great pro shop, and at the end of the year they sell all their discs at HUGE discounts...
Cons: For what they charge, if they kept the course up in the winter they would make bank. This sport has no "season', so I would give them much higher marks if they kept it open year-round. ANYWAY, yes, it's a short course. Play it twice and shoot for par, hero. YES, it is expensive. Park at the Indiana park south of it and walk over the border (most people do) or do like I do and buy an annual play and another annual parking pass (save $20 if you buy both at the same time for $60) which also gives you access to another county park that has a sweet beach on Lake Michigan. It pays for itself in a couple weeks if you play often enough. The signage also doesn't show the pin/tee location, but they have maps or join a couple locals playing.
Other Thoughts: It also has a great putting basket and they also sometimes add extra holes for the tournaments. AND to this date I can't ever recall seeing ANYONE walking around with just a putter... DID YOU KNOW THE LATE, GREAT ED HEADRICK designed this course?!

< Prev 1 2 3