Nice view but...
3 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: 1) Nice scenery
2) Clean and well maintained
3) Decent shot selection
4) Great signage
Cons: 1) Too small and compact
2) Nothing about it is challenging
3) Very breezy being on the water
4) There are people on the back 9 constantly whether they're sitting at a picnic table studying, jogging through, going on the pier, etc.
5) Constantly teeing off with people from other holes in your path.
Other Thoughts: A nice course to play by yourself and get some practice on your short game but I wouldn't bring a group to play here. In reality, this would be a MUCH better 9 hole course where you could design the course to actually be challenging. And if this course is busy, forget about it. You'd have people in your way constantly. I will probably never play here again.
3 of 3 people found this review helpful.
I like it
0 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: Very relaxing. Scenic bay backdrop. Lots of nut snatchers running around. Very well maintained. Back nine very nice. There is a cool "between building" run. Friendly regulars to help you navigate the course. I played it at night and did fine.
Cons: Not many. Some holes short. Kind of confusing at first because all the holes and tee boxes on the front 9 are squeezed together.
Other Thoughts: Worth a short drive to play. I'll play it again for sure when I'm in the area.
0 of 1 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: This is the perfect course for learning the sport. For more advanced players it would be a great safari course to extend some of the holes and test your creativity.
The university has put some time and money into making the course nice on the property. A few more acres would have gone a long way but for what they have they did a great job squeezing in 18. I would rather have the 18 they have rather than 9 longer holes. Tee pads are in great shape. Signage is adequate. The course is very, very well maintained. Very clean. No rough.
The view is really scenic. It is really fun to play under mature live oak trees right on the gulf. I love that combination. Turn your back to the water and you would swear you were in rural Florida with the huge live oaks.
Plenty of ace opportunities. Only hole 9 isn't really that aceable. The line would be extremely hard to hit. I got close to an eagle with a nice flick roller down the right hand side got me close enough to the pin for a decent putt. That is the only hole over 300. The rest are very, very short but with some obstacles that make you pick your line well or hit a tree in the fairway.
Water is a plus. It makes you think about it on a couple of holes to place your shot carefully. When I played the tide was out a bit so water wasn't a big deal but I hear on 8 and 9 and on the back 9 in a few spots the water can be pretty close to the pins.
Very accessible from 23rd. It also feels very safe being right on the university. I did hear it isn't really playable at night. You might think there is enough light there to pull it off but apparently not.
It is nice that the split between 9 and 10 puts you back at your vehicle. A sign of good course design. I always appreciate that.
It wasn't very crowded which meant you could finish a round easily in 45 minutes. Locals that I did meet were very nice.
Great glow that is easy to follow. The pins were a bit close to the next tee but that also made for easy flow without anything too hard to figure out.
Cons: The shortness of the course was about the only negative. The par 2's made up for the challenge a bit but it still would be nice to have a few longer holes. The lack of elevation is just typical for Florida. No big deal.
Some mandos might be nice to up the difficulty level but I know some people don't like mandos.
Other Thoughts: This is the course I would play if I lived there. I would probably play a lot of safari golf and just enjoy the view! Much credit goes to the university for putting this right on campus and making it look really nice/maintaining the course!
Be sure to enter and exit off of 23rd because of the construction.
2 of 2 people found this review helpful.
A short ace run course
4 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: (2.133 Rating) A super short 18 hole course.
- ACEABILITY - Numerous holes are aceable, You will have great opportunities on the pars 2s. You are probably 5 time more likely to ace here than at a normal course. Great place for a junior player to get a first ace.
- QUICK PLAY - A single can easily complete a full 18 in under 45 minutes. groups of 4 will probably finish in under two hours, perhaps even an hour and a half.
- NAVIGATION - super easy to navigate. There's a course map at hole one. In addition, Hole signage has next tee indications on them. Perfect for the disc golf bag stroller as well.
- FORGIVENESS - The odds of losing a disc due to an errant shot is low. There is the bay but it really only comes into play for seasoned players on hole 9. If the tide is up and you grip lock one, I guess it would be possible to leave a souvenir.
- MAINTENANCE - The course appears to be constantly trimmed and manicured. There was very little trash spotted despite a lack of trash cans.
- TEE PADS - They are all concrete and are generously long for what one will need. Well above average in my opinion.
Cons: The course is a tight fit for 18.
- UNIQUENESS - - The holes themselves are lacking the uniqueness that you'd see on your average 18 hole course. The course is extremely short, shorter than nearby Ferry in Fort Walton, Florida. Other than hole 9, many players will just need a putter. hole 9 is the only hole over 300 feet. There really aren't any true doglegs. no hole twists even a little bit, perhaps one is 10 degrees. there are no blind baskets. There are a few windows to hit. and a few holes that are guarded by trees. There is the bay that plays along the edge of the course. But as a 900 rated player I only felt tested by the water on hole 9.
- ELEVATION - Really none to speak of. I know that this is typically for Florida, but this course is flat for even Florida standards. no more than 10' elevation change throughout the entire course layout.
- BASKET AND TEE SEPERATION - There are numerous occurrences where the basket and next tee are perilously close. Several times they are separated by less than 30 feet.
- SPACING - Well below average, Several of the fairways feel partially shared. Discs will constantly end in other fairways. Black aces probably happen a lot comparatively. In addition, if the course were full of players, you would be wise to keep your head up and aware of other groups teeing off.
- DIFFICULTY - Too short and not a challenge to advanced/pro level players. Advanced players should have no problem being well under course par. Intermediate and Recreational players may be delighted however as it can be a feel good round. It's a great opportunity for those players to finish below par.
- CHARACTER - The FSU course is probably about slightly below average in terms of character. There is a nice course map at hole 1, there is good hole signage, a few of the tees are well shaded. Probably the biggest thing that's missing is seating and trash cans. There is also no practice area, multiple pin placements or bag holders that you'd see at your older established courses.
- WIND - Due to the lack of trees and location on the bay edge, wind will be an issue. I was greeted with 30 mph gusts. I played another panama city course right after this one and the wind speed seemed cut in half.
- LOCATION - Course is a trek to get to from the interstate highway system. A good 45 minutes from I10
Other Thoughts: An adequate course for those living within 5-10 miles. A great Beginner Course due to the low amount of hazards and overgrowth. Probably worth a look see if you've vacationing in panama city, have access to a car and are looking for a laid back round.
4 of 4 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 5 Not
Pros: Very short course. Perfectly maintained. Easy to follow lay out. Great for the new players.
Cons: Overall course is too short.
Other Thoughts: Would score this course as "perfect" if there were a couple of longer par 4's. Overall, a great experience.
0 of 5 people found this review helpful.
nice little sleepy course by the ocean
2 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: ocean view
easy to follow layout with great signs
par 2 holes a one throw challenge...all or nothing
Cons: college campus...students or functions may get in the way.
short layout...space seem crammed into small area
par 2 98 foot hole one a bad start to a course for many players
not a course for advanced players
Other Thoughts: nice little course with par 2 challenges I have never played anywhere else...great course for beginners to learn the game.
2 of 5 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: WELL MAINTAINED. NICE FACILITES. WELL MARKED WITH SIGNS. WIDE RANGE OF EASY AND DIFFICULT HOLES FOR PEOPLE THAT ARE NOT AS WELL CONTROLLED WITH SHOTS.
Cons: THE ONLY PROBLEM I CAN FIND IS ON DAYS WHEN WIND IS BLOWING FROM THE SOUTH TO THE NORTH AKA FROM PARKING LOTS TOWARD BAY. YOU HAVE A VERY GOOD CHANCE OF LOOSING DISCS IN THE WATER. OR AS WE SAY YOUR DISC WILL BE SLEEPING WITH THE FISHES.
Other Thoughts: WORKING ON AN ALTERNATE COURSE SETTING FOR THE COURSE TO GIVE IT SOME CHALLENGE.
0 of 3 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Well kept course along the bay. There are some beautiful sunsets to enjoy while playing in the evening. It's fun, but not overly difficult. It can be easily played in Under an hour and if you have not time you can get more rounds. Nice layout that good through parts of the campus.
Cons: There aren't too many opportunities to throw long drives. There are several par 2 holes. Make a mistake here and you will pay. If you aren't careful you will be wading in the bay to retrieve your discs. I know...I've done it plenty. The wind can be vicious at times. The last 3 can be be looked at as negatives, but I consrist then more as challenges.
Other Thoughts: If your staying at the beach and need a fix this is the closest course. With playing for sure!
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
0 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Beautiful views and a scenic layout. Plays very quickly and very clean. Well organized and some really friendly folks.
Cons: Plays like the equivalent of a normal golf par 3 course. Very fun for beginners or to try for aces.
Other Thoughts: I would play this course with kids in a heartbeat. Really cool place.
0 of 2 people found this review helpful.
Good Shots rewarded!
1 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: Very good scenery well kept , well marked tee pads course was easy to find, good for beginners some seasoned players might find it too easy... Then the wind kicks up!!!
Cons: Very short extremely windy
Other Thoughts: Most holes have ace potential
1 of 3 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.