Homer, LA
Lake Claiborne SP - Whitetail Share
Uploaded By: teamudgp Hole #15 (Taken 8/2013)

Whitetail

1    7/5/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: championlog22
Pros: Great map/scorecard.
Well marked entrance to the course.
Tee signs (short 4x4 posts with a red or blue number plate) are easily recognized, along with directional (arrow) signs.
Good flow in general.
Only $2 to get in the park and play all day.
Good mix of different length holes.
Great scenery throughout the course.
Fairways seemed perfectly cleared out to me, especially for a new course. The paths have already been worn in as well.
Cons: Natural Tees. I think concrete tees are on the way, and as soon as they come, I will update this review.
There is no way to tell which location the pin is in. The map would say the holes bent one way, but if the location is changed, the line changes. This caused us to throw in the wrong direction, but only on one or two holes. I suggest having a bolt on the tee sign that can be switched out showing if the pin is in the short or long.
I think I saw somewhere that there are real tee signs being made, and I hope they include both pin locations.
A tee sign that shows the lines, pin locations, and the current pin location, combined with concrete tees and this is easily a 4.5 and the best course in the state.
Other Thoughts: The rough isn't all that thick, but it will definitely add an extra stroke if you miss the fairway by too much. There is a lot of elevation change, and the course design complements that very well.

There are no bathrooms, water, or benches around. This didn't bother me, but it would be something to consider for new-comers. I wish the park could just put one water cooler on the course, even if it's just on the road where the trail crosses. That would be a great little bonus for this course.

I had a great time playing this course. It is definitely going to become the top in the state. I hope to see more from Mike in the future.

With work, this will be a phenomenal course.

2-4    5/1/2014   5/1/2014
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
This review was updated on 7/17/2014
Pros: The elevation and it use by the designers is the best feature of this course. The very first hole is a 320' shot that travels downhill about 40 feet. I haven't played all the courses in Louisiana, but the elevation changes on this course are drastic compared to the ones that I have played.
There are some simply phenomenal holes that combine elevation, narrow but fair fairways, and fair distance. The holes that really stand out are 4, 9, 10 and 13. Many of the remaining holes are merely excellent by comparison.

Shot shaping will be rewarded above all else. Some of the baskets on fairly steep slopes are nothing to be trifled with. You will need your putting game here as well. A miss can easily take you out of putting range with a sickeningly long rollaway.

Most of the course is shaded which will help some in the hot summers.

There is little interplay with other aspects of the park. Most of the course was blazed out of forest although trails were used in places. As a consequence there should be few pedestrians or bikers to deal with. I saw none on a weekday afternoon.

There are only a few holes that seem to be dictated by routing considerations. Much more emphasis seems to have been placed on creating some really challenging and beautiful holes.
Cons: There are a number of cons, the most important of which is a lack of meaningful tee signs. This is important because the vast majority of the baskets cannot be seen from the tee sign (there are no tee boxes). It is also not always apparent which way the fairway bends beyond groups of trees or over hills. For this same reason, distance indicators are needed as is some method of letting the players know which of two basket locations is being utilized and, indeed, where those basket locations are. I hope signs are coming, but they are not there now. I had to walk ahead as far as halfway to the hole or further on several occasions. After the up and down (did I mention the elevation changes) I just gave up near the end and started guessing. Sometimes I guessed right, sometimes wrong. Some of the tee sign posts have distances marked on them with markers. Some don't. Distances can be deceiving in the forest when you are looking across a creek bottom.

Navigation is problematic. There are some trails that the course does not always follow. The small tee signs aren't always the easiest things to see through the woods and there are some occasionally long walks between holes and the location of the next tee is not readily apparent in many cases.
There is no water or bathrooms on the course that I could tell. Bring your water with you, you will need it.

There are some very long walks between a few of the holes. This is minor.

There are no tee boxes. The teeing areas are marked with tent stakes and rope on some holes. On others it is not readily apparent on which side of the tee sign the teeing area is supposed to be on. I hope tee boxes are in this course's future. At least it should have better markers for the teeing areas.

Hole two had boat trailers parked in the fairway. It looked like this was considered a boat trailer parking area.

The last few holes seemed to be a bit of a departure from the well thought out holes that make up most of the rest of the course. They are long, like the 1050 ft. #16 that seemed like someone was in a hurry to get you back to the parking lot. Hole 18 is a 420 ft. hole that plays like 520 ft. due to having to throw uphill 40 feet or so.

For a course on a lake I expected the lake to come into play more than it did. There is only one hole with any realistic danger of losing a disc. Not knowing what was available to the designers, I can't count this as much of an issue, but I was a little disappointed.

This is NOT a course for beginners. Even intermediate players would be wise to consider playing the short tees. This is also not a course to play if you are not in reasonably good shape. Pushing carts will be a challenge here due to the terrain.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the cons I posted make you think that I didn't enjoy this course. If it had decent tee signs, tee boxes and navigational aids, I would rank it as the best course that I have played to date.
If you are on I-20 on your way through North Louisiana, this is a must play course.

The nearest comparison among courses that I have played is Cedar Glades although I prefer this layout.

Ask for a map at the gate or take a picture of the map at the beginning of the course. You will need it - often. It is only $2 to play.

Date: 5/2/2014 Designer Response by: teamudgp
Thanks for the review. Just wanted to let you know that navigation signs and tee pads are being updated this fall. I've tried for so long to get those tees leveled, but being ground doesn't want to cooperate.

I agree 100% on using more of the lake, but I was given just that spot on 10 and 14.

Sorry you had a boat trailer on #2, havent seen that yet. :/

Did you get a scorecard from the fee station that has a map marked with pathways and restrooms? They may be out.

The second course will be a full 18 holes soon, so hope you can come check it out.

Great addition to North LA

2-4    4/12/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: BuzzTime
Pros: The main thing I like about the course is that it rewards a good shot and punishes a bad one. It forces you to throw shots you're not used to and find creative lines. The elevation really adds a different dimension to the game than what I'm used to playing. There are 2 sets of tees and I recommend playing the reds if you are new to sport. The Blue tees will test your skills and endurance.

The park has a great entrance to the course(s) and great lake views. Scorecards are available at the entrance station.

Another course is being installed sometime soon, so a camping trip with friends would be fun.

Cons: This is a brand new course the was cut from a forest, so the tees are a little rough. I hear they are getting concrete tees sometime soon.

The course could use some navigation signs, but if you get a scorecard from the gate there is a map with paths marked on it to help.
Other Thoughts: When these 2 courses are finished 100% and broken in, it will be a great destination in LA.

Off to a great start

1    4/5/2014   4/7/2014
Review By: CJohnson
Pros: I played the course for the first time during the doubles tournament on the opening day for the course. It was a fun course with some tough shots. There were a variety of shots from shot to long and from tight to open. Unlike many of the courses in the area, it has some great elevated holes. They were still adding signs and concrete tee's, but the course is off to a great start. I plan to play it as often as I can. If you plan to play make sure to bring your hiking shoes, as this is not a short or flat course.
Cons: None that I can think of.
Other Thoughts: Big thanks to the guys that took the time and effort to build the an shape the course. It will quickly become one of the best known courses in Louisiana.