Homer, LA
Lake Claiborne SP - Whitetail Share
Uploaded By: teamudgp Hole #14 (Taken 12/2013)

Outstanding Course in the Woods

1    12/16/2014   12/16/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: It is fantastic to see a course of this quality in a State Park. For the princely sum of $2 you can play this course all day long, if your legs hold up. Be sure to ask for the excellent map/scorecard when you check in.

Easy parking right right at the Headquarters Building, with a beautiful cut-out steel sign marking the entrance to the course. Restrooms in a couple of places on the course, with benches, trash cans, etc. all available as well.

This is an outstanding piece of land for a course. Plenty of elevation with rolling hills and creeks cutting through the area, and a healthy forest of mixed hardwoods and evergreens. The ground is mostly clear, so locating discs isn't much of an issue,even if your drive kicks hard off of a tree.

Very nice tee signs at the Blue Tees, with a simple distance sign marking the Red Tees. Two basket positions for most holes, which are clearly shown on the tee sign. However, there is no marker to show which position the basket is in. Baskets were Innova double-chain models that looked brand new.

Navigation was easy, with "Next Hole" signs where necessary and dozens of arrows on trees.

Every hole requires lacing your drive through the trees, with many requiring significant shaping of your shot. Hole 17 is a great example, requiring a sweeping right-hand turn to a landing area, followed by a second shot that turns left toward the pin.

There is a lot of up-and-down on the course, with many baskets placed on hills so you have to consider the risk/reward of running your putt. I had an outstanding approach on hole 4 get up on an edge and roll about 75' down the hill.

Only Hole 10 brings the lake into play, but it is a scenic hole with the lake directly behind the basket to discourage a too-long drive.

Hole 16 is an arrow-straight 1054 foot hole down a pipeline right-of-way. While not really creative, it will test your ability to throw long, straight drives.
Cons: My only real con is that there was no indicator for which position the basket was in at each hole. Several holes required a walk up the fairway to make that determination.

While I usually consider "natural" teepads to be a con, in this setting they fit very well, and all were flat and smooth. I don't know if they stay in this shape all year but they were perfect the day I played.

Much of the length on this course is on the back 9 with 50% of the total course length on the final 6 holes. It would have been nice to have distributed that length a little more evenly.
Other Thoughts: Just a great course out in the pristine woods. We had the entire thing to ourselves on the Tuesday afternoon that we played.

The addition of the adjacent Dogwood Course effectively turns this into a 27 hole monster.

Disc'in with Deer

1    11/2/2014   11/3/2014
Review By: Sequoia
Pros: We really enjoyed this course. It is very well laid out, and the signage is great. With this being our first time on this course, we had no problems knowing where the pins where, or where the next tee box was located. The location is picturesque, with great views of the lake, and plenty of wild life. Although we didn't see any deer, there were plenty of tracks. Some of the fairways were narrow, but that is what makes it more challenging. Even when the discs DID go in the woods, they were easy to located, due to the low amount of undergrowth.
Cons: The only thing I can think of that was confusing to us, we didn't know if the pin was going to be in the "A" position, or the "B" position, until we got close enough in range, on some of the holes.
Other Thoughts: This is just my opinion, but I think the natural tee boxes are just right for this course. Concrete is fine for city courses, but when you are dealing with a natural area, you want to leave as little behind as possible.

We played this from the Blues, which I guess is good for experienced players. We have only been playing about 5 months, and were REALLY wishing that we started from the Reds.

That being said, I can't wait to come out and play this course again. It is fun, and challenging.

Whitetail

1    7/5/2014   7/16/2014
Review By: championlog22
Pros: Great map/scorecard.
Well marked entrance to the course.
Tee signs (short 4x4 posts with a red or blue number plate) are easily recognized, along with directional (arrow) signs.
Good flow in general.
Only $2 to get in the park and play all day.
Good mix of different length holes.
Great scenery throughout the course.
Fairways seemed perfectly cleared out to me, especially for a new course. The paths have already been worn in as well.
Cons: Natural Tees. I think concrete tees are on the way, and as soon as they come, I will update this review.
There is no way to tell which location the pin is in. The map would say the holes bent one way, but if the location is changed, the line changes. This caused us to throw in the wrong direction, but only on one or two holes. I suggest having a bolt on the tee sign that can be switched out showing if the pin is in the short or long.
I think I saw somewhere that there are real tee signs being made, and I hope they include both pin locations.
A tee sign that shows the lines, pin locations, and the current pin location, combined with concrete tees and this is easily a 4.5 and the best course in the state.
Other Thoughts: The rough isn't all that thick, but it will definitely add an extra stroke if you miss the fairway by too much. There is a lot of elevation change, and the course design complements that very well.

There are no bathrooms, water, or benches around. This didn't bother me, but it would be something to consider for new-comers. I wish the park could just put one water cooler on the course, even if it's just on the road where the trail crosses. That would be a great little bonus for this course.

I had a great time playing this course. It is definitely going to become the top in the state. I hope to see more from Mike in the future.

With work, this will be a phenomenal course.

2-4    5/1/2014   5/1/2014
Review By: Doofenshmirtz
This review was updated on 11/13/2014
Pros: The elevation and it use by the designers is the best feature of this course. The very first hole is a 320' shot that travels downhill about 40 feet. I haven't played all the courses in Louisiana, but the elevation changes on this course are drastic compared to the ones that I have played.

There are some simply phenomenal holes that combine elevation, narrow but fair fairways, and fair distance. The holes that really stand out are 4, 9, 10 and 13. Many of the remaining holes are merely excellent by comparison.

Shot shaping will be rewarded above all else. Some of the baskets on fairly steep slopes are nothing to be trifled with. You will need your putting game here as well. A miss can easily take you out of putting range with a sickeningly long rollaway. I can only image how bad it could be on the 18th hole. I don't think that it would be impossible to roll from the basket all the way back to the tee.

Most of the course is shaded which will help some in the hot summers.

There is little interplay with other aspects of the park. Most of the course was blazed out of forest although trails were used in places. As a consequence there should be few pedestrians or bikers to deal with. I saw none on a weekday afternoon.

There are only a few holes that seem to be dictated by routing considerations. Much more emphasis seems to have been placed on creating some really challenging and beautiful holes.
Cons: Navigation isn't as straightforward as it could be. There are some trails that the course does not always follow. The small tee signs aren't always the easiest things to see through the woods and there are some occasionally long walks between holes and the location of the next tee is not readily apparent in many cases. But if you look carefully, there are some small metal arrow "badges" that point you in the right direction.

There are some very long walks between a few of the holes. This is minor.

There are no tee boxes. The teeing areas are marked with tent stakes and rope on some holes. On others it is not readily apparent on which side of the tee sign the teeing area is supposed to be on. I hope tee boxes are in this course's future. At least it should have better markers for the teeing areas.

The last few holes seemed to be a bit of a departure from the well thought out holes that make up most of the rest of the course. They are long, like the 1050 ft. #16 that seemed like someone was in a hurry to get you back to the parking lot. Hole 18 is a 420 ft. hole that plays like 520 ft. due to having to throw uphill 50 feet or so over the course of the hole.

For a course on a lake I expected the lake to come into play more than it did. There is only one hole with any realistic danger of losing a disc to the lake. Not knowing what was available to the designers, I can't count this as much of an issue, but I was a little disappointed.

This is NOT a course for beginners. Even intermediate players would be wise to consider playing the short tees. This is also not a course to play if you are not in reasonably good shape. Pushing carts will be a challenge here due to the terrain.
Other Thoughts: Don't let the cons I posted make you think that I didn't enjoy this course. This is perhaps the most challenging and enjoyable course in Louisiana. The only real shame is that it isn't closer to my home.
If you are on I-20 on your way through North Louisiana, this is a must play course.

The nearest comparison among courses that I have played is Cedar Glades although I prefer this layout.

Ask for a scorecard with a map at the gate or take a picture of the map at the beginning of the course. You will need it - often. It is only $2 to play, which is a better deal that anyone should ask for.

Date: 10/28/2014 Designer Response by: teamudgp
Thanks for the review. You should go out a play it again. Tee signs have been installed and the tees are much better. Navigation signs have also been installed since you've played.

I agree 100% on using more of the lake, but I was given just that spot on 10 and 14.

Sorry you had a boat trailer on #2, haven't seen that yet. :/

Did you get a scorecard from the fee station that has a map marked with pathways and restrooms?

The second course will be a full 18 holes soon, so hope you can come check it out.

Great addition to North LA

2-4    4/12/2014   4/22/2014
Review By: BuzzTime
Pros: The main thing I like about the course is that it rewards a good shot and punishes a bad one. It forces you to throw shots you're not used to and find creative lines. The elevation really adds a different dimension to the game than what I'm used to playing. There are 2 sets of tees and I recommend playing the reds if you are new to sport. The Blue tees will test your skills and endurance.

The park has a great entrance to the course(s) and great lake views. Scorecards are available at the entrance station.

Another course is being installed sometime soon, so a camping trip with friends would be fun.

Cons: This is a brand new course the was cut from a forest, so the tees are a little rough. I hear they are getting concrete tees sometime soon.

The course could use some navigation signs, but if you get a scorecard from the gate there is a map with paths marked on it to help.
Other Thoughts: When these 2 courses are finished 100% and broken in, it will be a great destination in LA.

Off to a great start

1    4/5/2014   4/7/2014
Review By: CJohnson
Pros: I played the course for the first time during the doubles tournament on the opening day for the course. It was a fun course with some tough shots. There were a variety of shots from shot to long and from tight to open. Unlike many of the courses in the area, it has some great elevated holes. They were still adding signs and concrete tee's, but the course is off to a great start. I plan to play it as often as I can. If you plan to play make sure to bring your hiking shoes, as this is not a short or flat course.
Cons: None that I can think of.
Other Thoughts: Big thanks to the guys that took the time and effort to build the an shape the course. It will quickly become one of the best known courses in Louisiana.