Homer, LA
Lake Claiborne SP - Whitetail Share
Uploaded By: teamudgp Hole #1 (Taken 12/2013)

The Best in Louisiana

2-4    10/23/2016   12/5/2016
Review By: AByrd
Pros: Not a "big arm" course. While there are a couple of opportunities to reach back and let one go, course management skills and accuracy are a requirement to be successful.

The abundance of shade is welcomed during Louisiana summers.

Some of the best use of terrain I have seen on a disc golf course.

Fairways are tough, but fair. Rough will punish, but not thick enough to be unfair.

Shapes of holes (left/right/straight/S) are varied.

Isolated location without sounds of traffic, sirens, and trains.

Lodging available onsite with cabins and camping.

Abundant wildlife and scenic views.

Cons: While natural tee pads are not, in themselves, a con...some were "loose" and could be improved.

Course could be difficult to safely navigate in wet conditions.
Other Thoughts: There are a very few courses where the scenery will force you to stop and absorb the beauty of nature....forgetting about everything....and transcending into an almost "enlightened" state. Lake Claiborne Whitetail and Dogwood are two of those courses.

It's SO fun to play!

2-4    11/11/2016   11/20/2016
Review By: eegor
Pros: As my title says, it's so much fun to play this course, I had to give it the best rating I could. I'd like to give it a 4.75, but I'm rounding up due to the great cabins and beautiful State Park it's in. It doesn't hurt that it has another awesome course on site that has a different character, but is still a "woods only" course.

Elevation changes on almost all of the holes (I think only #2 is completely flat) and trees that force lines that are very fair, but punishing if not hit.

As mentioned before, it's like a "ball golf" course. If you stay in the fairway and hit your lines, a low score can be yours. If you live in the rough, good luck on par. Either way, you'll have fun and admire the beauty of the park.

The on site cabins are great! Full kitchens with dishes and cookware. Full size fridge and stove/oven. Loft bedroom with full bed. Bunkroom that sleeps four. It's all the comforts of home with an awesome patio with a grill and great view. If tent camping is your thing, it's a great place for that too. There were quite a few people doing it that weren't there for disc golf. It's a really nice place to go even if you aren't playing disc golf.

The disc golf is there for all skill levels. Play from the longs is true championship level. The short tees give the casual disc golfer a chance to score well and have a great time doing it. The fairways are fair, and although it's an all wooded course, the holes aren't repetitive at all.

It is a good hike for those that like that. Up and down hills in a beautiful setting. Although there are literally millions of spiders (none that had any interest in us) that was pretty much all you'll see. The insects don't have much of a chance. I don't remember seeing a fly, much less a mosquito. We did see a lot of deer on the course at sunset. If you're also into wildlife viewing, this place will not disappoint you.

Cons: Woods only. No where to let one go that doesn't have to be "on line".

Your cell phone probably won't work in most places in the park. I have AT&T and I could get some reception on the tops of the highest hills only. (I'm not sure this is a negative). The park does have free wifi, but it isn't "fast". This is a place to escape the rest of the world, not a place to work online.
Other Thoughts: I'm glad we chose this park for our "Disc Golf Weekend". Both courses on site are fun to play (Whitetail is the best of the two for fun, Dogwood for exercise). I want to go back, soon. If you go there with friends and/or family, you'll have a good time.

We met the guys that maintain the courses as we played. They're very proud of the courses and it shows. If there's something that can be done (repairing natural tees for instance), there's no doubt that it could happen before the next round round if you let them know. The facility is top notch all around.

Lake Bistineau State park is about 45 minutes away with a more open design and another type of Louisiana beauty of Spanish moss from ball cypress trees.

This is a disc golf destination. Take the time to play the courses twice... at least.

Date: 11/28/2016 Designer Response by: teamudgp
Thanks for the great review. Glad you enjoyed the courses.

The Best woods course I've played to date

1    6/2/2016   6/7/2016
Review By: splatbaseball51
Pros: Immediately upon getting to hole 1's tee pad, I knew Whitetail would be better than Dogwood. Whitetail feels more manicured (like a ball golf course) while Dogwood feels like every other woods course (rough and newly cut). This might change with time as Dogwood ages, but for now Whitetail stands out.

The number one thing I look for when reviewing woods courses are how fair the fairways are. Sure a course could be "challenging" if it has an old growth tree too many in the fairway, but if your holes are "poke and pray" I won't reward it with a high review.

The fairways at LC - Whitetail are more than fair. If ball golf courses had wooded holes, they'd look as nice as Whitetail. The only hole that came close to being a poke and pray was hole 6?, but it's still fair if you hit the tight line.

I hope you're comfortable throwing drivers in the woods! When I said this place was the best woods course, part of that was because I threw more drivers through trees than I usually do. Normally it's smart to club down in the woods, but if the pin is 1000ft away (as it is on 16) what else are you to do? You'll probably have to throw a confident driver or two in these woods, which ups the challenge.

Looking back, I believe I threw 8 Putters, 2 Mids and 8 Fairway/Drivers off the tee. I tend to throw putters where most might throw a mid, so all things considered this is as well rounded of a woods course as you can imagine.

Counting left/right/straight shots, the pattern continues. You'll throw a lot of straighter shots to start things off, but depending on the pin position, they could be doglegs also. It doesn't noticeably favor one particular throwing style. You'll need to do it all.

Speaking of alt pins, it's always a good idea to have many alt pins if you can, and Whitetail does for most holes. It also has 2 sets of pads per hole which is also important to be able to reach a wider range of players.

Whitetail doesn't have any navigation issues as far as I could tell. We navigated without a map and were just fine. (same couldn't be said of Dogwood). The signs are very nicely made and give you all of the information you need.

My favorite hole was 17. It was close to being a semi-open hole, but was SO WELL DESIGNED. It reminded me of the longer par 4's and 5's of Europe. I loved this hole and wished there was 1 or 2 more like it out there. Hole 18 is also a fantastic finished hole, really allowing you to end on a high note, both aesthetic and challenging.

The property itself is breathtaking, especially as you make your way towards the water. It's not only the best woods course I've played, it also is one of the prettiest. I saw plenty of wildlife and many whitetails (imagine that). It's a place you'd spend a weekend with the family at, regardless if it had a course or not.
Cons: I wrestled with the fact that the tee pads are only natural. Part of me feels like some turf or similar pad would really up the respectability of this place. At the same time, if there was ever a natural/beautiful property that deserved to stay as close to natural as possible, Whitetail is it. They really do work out here, BUT since you already have big hunks of metal and chain + signs everywhere, maybe a proper tee pad wouldn't be terrible.

There weren't many (if any) benches to take a quick rest at. If this course were highly trafficked (the location makes this rare, I imagine) it would need benches. If any huge tournaments were ever held here, with the long waits at holes that are inevitable, I feel some nice seating would really help.

It was strange to have all of the longer holes on the back nine. Not really a con, but it would've helped the flow to have a few more on the front.

The course isn't two 9-hole loops, so there's no going to your car during the round. This also makes it harder to host tourney's/weekly's as many people will have REALLY long walks to their starting pad. For the traveling player, however, this doesn't matter.
Other Thoughts: I can't really say too many good things about this course. It deserves the praise it garners. I'm a very nit-picky reviewer, but it's because I believe constructive feedback (and never settling) is the only thing that will push the envelope. Dream big and grow the sport!

As I've said before, I can't find myself giving a "one-trick-pony" course a 5. I believe you have to challenge ALL aspects of a players game to be considered perfect, and to date I've only given a 5 to two courses (Selah Lakeside and Hawk Hollow). This is one bad ass woods course, however!

That being said, there are places for woods only courses in our sport and many would say they're arguably MORE challenging than mixed courses. Lake Claiborne is, simply put, the best woods course I've ever played. I feel kinda bad that my 4.5 will pull the rating down slightly, so normally I wouldn't review the course, but at the same time I feel my review is needed. I'm a trusted reviewer and this course has very few of those reviews. It's also a newer course that doesn't have the number of reviews to gain a reputation, so hopefully this helps.

As an aside, it seems like there is camping on site. If you're into that, I'd certainly recommend it as it's a drive from the closest town (Ruston?). It's feasible to stay in West Monroe and drive in early if you need more stuff to do at night.

Date: 8/2/2016 Designer Response by: teamudgp
Thanks for the review. Glad you enjoyed playing!

Risk and Reward

1    4/20/2016   5/2/2016
Review By: willfullilove
Pros: Amazing scenery. The hole type features all sorts of elevation changes and obstacles that strained my newbie skills. Great terrain to play on (cut grass and straw). Very detailed teepads. Amateur tees included. Nice baskets. They give you scorecards.
Cons: Its hot in Louisiana.
Other Thoughts: I played the first time as a beginner and it was very difficult but it was still very fun with mixed success. I would recommend coming prepared with all sorts of shots.

Championship Caliber Course

2-4    11/8/2015   11/12/2015
Review By: Urngegoat
Pros: This is a challenging course that rewards shots that stay in the fairway and punishes those that don't. The course is well-maintained, so the rough is "clean" and you won't have a problem finding your disc, but you probably won't have much more than a pitch out if you stray off the fairways.

You'll need every shot in your bag as the course mixes left/right, short/long, and up/down. Many holes offer multiple routes with risk/reward considerations in play.

Excellent signage with detailed tee signs and additional navigational signs as needed.
Cons: There is a bit of a walk from hole 3 to hole 4.

Limited cell service.

Seriously, that's about all I could come up with for negatives.
Other Thoughts: Whitetail is the original course and the longer of the two. If you're only playing one, I'd recommend Whitetail just because there are more "signature" type holes (1, 10, 16), but both are worth the trip.

Well worth the drive!

1    9/24/2015   9/25/2015
Review By: rod251
Pros: Beautiful property
Good mix of distance and elevation
Good signage
Challenging but fair
Cons: Needs more trashcans and benches
Dirt teeboxes

Other Thoughts: I loved this course. Very challenging and very well designed. Absolutely beautiful woods. This is located in the most hilly part of Louisiana, a bit different than our flat swamps and bayous. I would like to see some gravel on the tee pads, and maybe a few more trash cans. I hope to do a disc golf camping trip here soon. As others said, better be in shape, because this one's long and hilly.

World Class Scenery

1    8/14/2015   8/14/2015
Review By: Ground Control
Pros: The terrain is very unusual for Louisiana. The scenery is awesome. The course is shady and very relaxing. There are two courses at the park. You can play and stay too. You can't find a better spot.
Cons: The course is new and needs playing. There are a few things they are working on but the guys are adding new stuff all the time. With a little more work this course can be a premier course!
Other Thoughts: Better be in shape. It's not your mommas DG course. It's bad a$$. It will really work you.

Glad I stopped by

1    7/2/2015   8/11/2015
Review By: MountainValleyDG
Pros: I had a chance to visit this course on business last July and was surprised of the caliber of course that was in a state park. IT had very nice full color tees on the Blue tees on every hole with shorter red tees with just wooden posts and number plates. Course has a cool entrance with a heavy metal signed hanging over as you walk through.

Hole 1 starts off like a roller coaster and drops you into a fun filled round including a scenic hole 10 (or 11) that looks over the lake. The last bit of holes will test you on all levels. the last 5 or 6 holes changes dramatically into par 4's and 5's finishing on a large uphill par 4 back to parking.
Cons: Bring water! I'm not used to the heat down in Louisiana. Not any on course that I saw.
Other Thoughts: There is a $2.00 fee to play, but well worth it. I was told there was another course be install on the property.

Technical Perfection

5+    8/9/2015   8/9/2015
Review By: dsteele
Pros: This is an excellent course that plays on beautiful land. You'll throw every shot there is, and you better throw it well because this course will punish a bad shot as much as it rewards a good one. Holes 1-12 are birdie-able for most players but once you cross the road to 13, it's long, technical golf at its finest for pros and ams alike.
Other Thoughts: Bring plenty of water and bugspray, you'll be taking a hike while playing your round.

White Tail

5+    8/2/2015   8/3/2015
Review By: deneumann
Pros: This course has many different elevation holes on it. Very scenic and requires many different types of shots to score well on the course. The first twelve holes are definitely birdie able. You'll need them for the last 6 holes. Holes 13-18 are the longest part of the course and require the utmost accuracy to score well. My favorite course in North Louisiana!!!
Cons: No Cons in my opinion,
Other Thoughts: This is disc golf at it's finest. It is not a course for whiners who do not like to walk between holes or go up and down hills. This course will challenge you and definitely make you a better golfer.