Estero, FL
Estero DGC Share
Uploaded By: Dave242 Hole #3 (Taken 3/2014)
Hole #3 Approach

Prepare to Sacrifice a Disc (or two...)

1    12/29/2014   12/29/2014
Review By: markmcc
Pros: The designers did a great job of installing 18 challenging holes within this large, multi-use park. More water in play and water carries than any other course I've played, and that adds a real element of interest/risk to the course.

Two very nice concrete tee pads for each hole. I usually play the more advanced tees when I try a course, but I opted for the short tees and am glad that I did. Some of the water carries from the longs are beyond my comfort range, so I'd be bailing out on those.

Though the course is mostly open and flat, the basket placements require careful ranging and shaping of your drive to score well.

From the shorts, holes are mostly in the 250' to 350' range, with two par 4's that run 447' and 546 feet. The long tee jump the "typical" range up to 350' to 450', with the par 4's running 518' and 715'. So if you love to crank out long drives, the "pro" tees will be right up your alley!!

Hole 1 is one of the most intimidating starting holes that I've encountered. The basket is in a narrow strip of land with trees and a fence line on the right and a large pond on the left. I thought I had thrown my drive perfectly, only to have it fade just a bit more than expected and splash right into the pond.

Four ponds are in play on various holes, either with the basket placed near enough to a pond to require care with placement of the drive, or by requiring a water carry on your drive.

Holes 16, 17 and 18 make good use of the one significant hill in the park, giving you one uphill drive and two downhill holes. The finishing hole is a drive from the hilltop to a basket placed right next to a pond. Another hole where too much fade will cost you a disc.

Huge parking lots available, along with restrooms, water, benches, etc.
Cons: The odds are good that you are going to lose a disc here. On the very first hole I threw my drive exactly as I intended, only to see it fade a bit extra and splash into the pond. The water is deep and murky enough that I didn't recover the disc. So bring a couple of discs that you don't mind donating.

No signage, though it sounds like it is in the works. With the excellent map and scorecard available the lack of tee signs wasn't much of an issue for me. But without the map navigation would be challenging for a first time player.

This is a large, heavily utilized public park, and there are plenty of chances for conflicts with park users. On a Monday afternoon I was surprised at how busy the park was. WIth lots of folks walking and jogging the trails and a few family groups kicking soccer balls around I had to wait several times to play holes. The hill with the 16th and 18th tees and the 17th basket was a particularly popular place for kids to be playing around.
Other Thoughts: This was my 87th course played, and had by far the most water in play. The water carries and baskets placed adjacent to ponds are what made this course interesting and different that any other.

Good Course

1    7/15/2014   7/24/2014
Review By: rmadison1
Pros: Course lay out is fairly easy to follow the first time out. I liked the how some holes were very challenging and some were moderate to easy. The park the course is in is very nice.
Cons: Lost a disc in the water on hole one. I was poking around in the long grass on the edge of the water and I surprised a small alligator. Scared the you know what out of me.
Other Thoughts: I will definitely play the course again when I am back in the area.

Not Quite a 4 Yet, But I Believe It Will Be

2-4    7/4/2014   7/4/2014
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 11/17/2014
Pros: A natural beauty, this course plays through a large multiuse park, featuring several lakes, light to moderately wooded fairways, and a large (by SW Florida standards) hill.

The course is somewhat easy to navigate, with good pacing and flow.

The holes range from medium length to long, and offer plenty of challenge. You probably will use every disc in your bag here.

Most holes have two sets of brand new large size concrete tee pads, that are super grippy. Well done.

Map/scorecards available in rec center and on the board by hole 1.

Some pavillions with picnic tables provide a few nice places to take a rest.

The park was very clean, and well maintained. They were mowing the park on the morning of July 4th.

The course has a huge fun factor.
Cons: So why did I only give it a 3.5 for right now?

No tee signs...yet. Having tee signs, and a couple of next tee signs would definately push this course up to the next level.

Hole 10. 312 ft from the short tees. But, you have to tee off right through a wooded area, with an extremely narrow gap. Just a tad hard for my liking. This is not a beginer friendly course. Multiple water carries and longer distances may scare off the casual players.

There are a couple of longer walks between some holes.

Multi use park. There were some children watching us tee off on hole 17. A long bomb off the top of a hill. Sure enough, as soon as my buddy threw, one of the children bolted after the disc, and chased it 400' down the hill, and ran it back to us. Then one of the other children started freaking out, and screaming for his mommy. He got up the hill ok, but wasn't sure how to get back down.
Other Thoughts: This is a fun course, that's almost done, and is probably going to be the nicest course in the Ft Myers area. With gold and blue level tees though, I would again stress that this course is probably not for beginers.

Alcohol consumption is strictly forbidden at this park.