Redding, CA
Sacramento River RV Park Share
Uploaded By: Bman42 Hole #14 (Taken 2/2014)

They Are Doing Everything Right Here!

1    10/14/2015   10/18/2015
Pros: The folks at Sacramento River R.V. Park are going the extra mile here to make this a first class disc golfing experience. From the moment you arrive, you're greeted with friendly people as you check in and pay your $5 (good for all day). You're given a bracelet. Collect five bracelets and your can cash that in for a free days play.

The course is sent along the beautiful Sacramento Ruver at the back edge of the RV park. There is a nice big course sign and map. It also tells which placement (A or B) each basket is in on that particular day. Take a picture of this as you can't always tell the placement from the tee. There are benches everywhere and abundant garbage cans.

The tee pads are large, red concrete ones. I don't think I've written a review and talked the pretty tee pads. The tee signs are great. Each has a nice route map as well as all the other pertinent information. Also bag holders hooks. There are two sets of pads. Under the baskets are two arrows, a black and a red pointing to both next tees. The baskets are unique. They are DGA with orange and red combination paint and red numbers on top. Pretty striking!

The course itself is challenging and creative. There are no throwaway holes. But there a number of fun throws to be had. Among them are # 4. 369' from the longs, kind of a tunnel shot needed off the tee to a cool hanging basket which is also slightly elevated.

# 15 from long tees would be extremely challenging. Your first shot would have to be a 275' ???, lay-up in front of the water, in order to set up your over the water carry to the basket, which is only probably 250' but carries multiple risk problems. And the basket is set on a peninsula adding to the risk/reward. We played from the shorts. Makes this hole much simpler.
Cons: Honestly, I can't come up with one con.

Except $5 to play. Small price to play this course two or three times.
Other Thoughts: I was fortunate enough to be guided through this course by two of the more impressive young men I've ever met in my disc golfing travels. Josh and Evan are two locals from the Redding area and I wish to thank them for showing me the course and showing a old man, how it's done. It was a glorious morning in Redding, sensational course and super playing partners. It doesn't get any better than that!

Fathers Day #2: Solid Course On the I5

2-4    6/20/2015   6/24/2015
Review By: jasonandsharon
Pros: Sacramento River RV park is a 45 acre RV park located right off the I5 about 4 miles south of Redding, it was actually quite cool to be driving down the I5 and see the huge "disc golf course" banner in front of the park from the freeway, good publicity for the sport. The disc golf course is located just south of the RV park on 25 acres of natural riverfront. The course winds its way through trees, meadows, brush, and water obstacles. There are two sets of concrete tees for every hole, rec and pro. The baskets are DGA Mach III' s and tee signs are custom metal work, that give all the usual data. There are trash cans and benches located throughout the course. The RV park claims to accommodate motorhomes, trailers, pickup campers, and tent camping, with most sites being pull-thrus and able to handle big rigs. Nightly, weekly, and monthly rates available. Cable TV and phone hookups available. It has a large swimming pool, a big plus in Redding's heat, a 24 hour laundromat, electrical service hookups, pets exercise areas, free wi-fi, tennis courts with basketball hoop, a meeting room, horseshoe pit, ball golf driving range, and a fishing pond with a dock. Restrooms and showers are also available. Redding sits as kind of the gateway to the Shasta, Trinity, and Whiskeytown areas, so I'm sure it's a popular place to camp, it was quite full for fathers day weekend, although there was no one on the disc golf course. I would imagine for camping the noise from the freeway would get annoying, it was a little for disc golf but tolerable. The course offers a lot of shot selection and multiple elevation changes and water holes, making for a fun and challenging course. This course looks like they are putting a lot of effort into maintaining and updating it. The first couple of holes started out kind of bland but once it got into the deeper bushes and trees, and definitely the water holes, the course got a lot more fun. Hole 15s was particularly challenging requiring either a roughly 400+ drive to clear the water and get it close enough for eagle or requiring a 200 throw to get you to the water and then another 200 foot throw to clear the water, reminiscent of those John Houck landing zones. And the basket itself sits on kind of a peninsula surrounded by water.
Cons: It is pay to play, but $5 is not really a lot to ask for a good course. The Redding heat I think will be the biggest con for this course at least it was for me. All of the heat seems to make its way up from the Sacramento Valley and land right here on Redding. With temperatures often going over 100 during the summer, early mornings going to be your best bet to play, unfortunately they don't open the course till 9a.m. However they do offer discounted winter rates at $3. Although it is possible to access the river along the course most of the banks are very steep and make it difficult.
Other Thoughts: This was the second course we played on my father's day weekend roadtrip, and we arrived just a little before 9, and I unfortunately had checked that the course would be open and available but not when it opened. It opens at 9 when the office opens and we arrived about 8:30, but the people were outside cleaning up the pool area and we asked if it was alright to play and pay later and they said sure go ahead. So we played first and payed afterward. My wife and son played from the rec tees and I played from the pro, and we all had a good time. I was throwing form the fairways of hole 5 and I put my foot down next to a rock, or at least what I thought was a rock and it started to walk away from me, apparently it was a turtle out for a stroll. There are a lot of disc golf courses in this area and this one is another great addition. Well off to the 299 corrider of disc golf fun.

Worth the Price of Admission

5+    11/10/2014   11/10/2014
Review By: brettedward
This review was updated on 11/13/2014
Pros: Nice color coded tee pads in long and short positions, great signage and primo baskets. Challenging holes mixed with straightforward holes. Play this course at even first time around and pat yourself on the back.

You'll notice the short tee pad on 15 is a circle. When I see circular tee pads I think one thing: Safari Golf. Standing on that circular pad today I could throw interesting shots at 16 pin, 1 pin, and a few others. My point is this: Get Creative in this park when you will likely have the place to yourself and you can play some very fun new lines. The hangman on 6 can be thrown at from 9 short pad for an ace run. Keep an eye out for other golfers, people walking their dogs to the river and staff but play this course as it is laid out and then throw some unique lines of your own.

If you are traveling and needing to camp with either tent, car or RV this park can accommodate and has showers and laundry. Tent camping overlooks 17 fairway and the Sacramento river. Lucky RVers live along the first and second fairways. As a camper, golfing is included.

This course offers decent bird watching too. Hard to throw a round without seeing an egret or heron. Hawks also frequent the course but aren't as easily spotted.

Cons: Others have mentioned Hole Three as awkward but I disagree. I've seen a good roller get there for two and I have seen low straight to fade toward hillside and pin for two several times. It's a great hole as a three and pushes the golfer to figure out how to improve their game to get a shot at two.

Some would consider losing discs in water a con, and it is likely to happen if you are errant on your drive on 12, 13, and 15.
Other Thoughts: The 5$ fee I believe is well worth it. Bring a picnic. Enjoy the day. Play disc golf until the sun goes down.

Best course in the Redding area

2-4    4/24/2014   4/29/2014
Review By: t i m
Pros: Clearly, a lot of thought went into the course design, a lot of work went into prepping the course, and it has great potential to become even better. Great teepads, signage and strong variety of holes makes this easily the best course in Redding. When I played, only two holes were in the long positions, and I likely would have rated it higher (4.0) if the baskets had been in their long positions--it was just hard to tell how some of the holes would play in the longs, so I don't want to give it a theoretical rating for a layout I haven't played. But I'd consider a 3.5 the minimum rating this course should receive, with room to increase that score.

One great feature I haven't seen many places are color coded stones with arrows on them at the base of each basket clearly directing you to the next teepad. This makes the course incredibly easy to follow--every course in the country should take this approach. It's almost worth giving the course an extra 0.5 star just for this attention to detail.

Also, the hanging basket is great -- not just because it's a hanging basket, but because it's a well-designed hole.

Pro also is that this is a great course to take beginners to -- the short tees should be good for novice players and the fee to play should reduce the busyness of the course, making it easier to teach new players.
Cons: Most people will list the $5 fee as a con -- I don't consider it a con in this case. $5 is a small price to pay for a day of fun at a well designed course, and this is clearly better than other courses in the area.

The biggest con to me is the lack of secondary baskets -- or at least some sort of poles -- for the secondary tees. It would add tremendous variety to the course to get to play different layouts and would make it a much higher value for the dollar. When paying for a course, it's worth playing several rounds to get your money's worth, and with additional pins, this course would be a bargain.

The other con is that you can only sign in and play during the office's open hours--not a huge imposition, but it prohibits early/late play.
Other Thoughts: There are several holes that still need a little work and/or additional branches/trees removed to create realistic lines. Hole 3 is the worst offender. There is no line to the basket from the long tee, and the closest thing to a line involves throwing straight at the teepad for hole 2. Removing the tree right in front of the long teepad (or moving the teepad) would open up some realistic flick or anhyzer shots that would be much safer for players on hole 2.

A couple of other holes have similar problems with a tree (or branch) needing to be cleared so that the hole has a line -- any line -- to the basket. I think holes 10 and 16 (both from the long tee) need branches removed (not whole trees). But overall, I think the course is excellent and does a great job with the available land. Kudos to the designer and to the RV park for making this course available.

1    4/14/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: billfish1990
Pros: Course was in great shape. Very well laid out and easy to follow. Long and short pads on every hole is a plus. Many holes are tricky with low hanging trees and a few over water shots.
Cons: $5 per person to play.
Other Thoughts: As a visitor to the area it was well worth the $5 dollars. If we had more time we would have played 1 round each from the long and short. The $5 is for all day.

2-4    2/11/2014   4/14/2014
Review By: Biagi
Pros: Great layout with some very challenging holes. The hanging basket is awesome!! The flow of the course was very easy navigate, love that there is two tee pads per hole. Good mix of hyzer and anhyzer shots, definitely made me work on my flick. Can't wait to play it again!!
Cons: I can't even imagine someone having anything bad to say about this course
Other Thoughts: A big thank you to Rob Pine and all the staff at the RV park for adding this gem of a course!!

Not worth it.

1    2/9/2014   4/9/2014
Review By: grimdelanoche
Pros: Clean, decent layout, mix of right left shots, nice baskets, and mix of distance. Course runs along Sacremento river. some nice water shots.
Cons: Cost $5 to play when there ae at least 4 free courses that offer better challenges and layouts. Hours of operation are pretty weak too. A few bad cross overs as well.
Other Thoughts: I drive by this course twice a day and never see anyone on the course. maybe if the owners made the price reasonable more people would play. Give a year pass at a good price like $30-$40 or discounts for clubs or league days. I will stick with edgewater and anderson until they get their greed off the course.