Indianola, IA
Pickard Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #4 (Taken 6/2009)

Great Course

5+    6/13/2013   7/9/2013
Review By: dpo2002
Pros: -long open tees
-baskets in good condition and new signs
-water hazards and many obstacles
-trash cans ever other tee

Cons: -none
Other Thoughts: -hole 18 is 800+ ft
-Great course and not much attention or people playing it :(

best course ive played so far

5+    6/7/2011   6/21/2012
Review By: DjKilliQuik
Pros: My favorite course so far. Good mixture of shots and elevations. Long holes are managable and difficult. And short holes are difficult. A couple of good wooded holes. Love the rediculousness of the 900 footer. Fantastic! World class course. Not for beginners. Very nicely kept park as well.
Cons: Love everything about this course. Thats all
Other Thoughts: Very highly recommended. Bring multiples of your go to discs the little lake pond thing has eaten up a couple of mine

5+    6/11/2011   6/11/2011
Review By: Marcovis
Pros: This course has everything. There is water that comes into play, elevation, wooded holes, and LONG holes. It's been mowed every time I played it.
Cons: The woods are very thick and eat discs. I don't knock points off for this because it's part of the game.
Other Thoughts: This is one of the best in the State of Iowa and should be played if your coming through.

An absolute Iowa masterpiece

1    6/7/2010   6/20/2010
Review By: scarpfish
Pros: Probably the most complete layout I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Pickard has everything. Disc golf dedicated land, multiple tees with great distance variation, a nicely jumbled mix of long and short holes, tall grass rough, dense trees, tucked pins, forced layups, several risk/reward opportunities, water hazards, unforgiving woods, uphill, downhill (sometimes in the same hole), even some ace runs from the short tees. True Par 4 and 5 holes. Terrific signage showing the hole layout at both tee boxes. Its in small town Iowa, so you can count on there not being a lot of traffic.
Cons: Probably not the best course to bring your kids or newbies to. Even the short layout here is challenging. Only a single pin position on each hole. Plenty of places to lose a disc, so I'd recommend using a spotter. Hole #1 is a tad dangerous with the parking lot in the line of fire. On the woodsier holes, the Chainstars do blend into the scenery a bit, and I wish they could be made more prominent with color or flags on top.
Other Thoughts: I thought long and hard before doling out the '5' here, my first in the 66 courses I've reviewed. I was impressed by Pickard when I played it on my recent trip, but wanted to get a couple of the gem Twin Cities courses (Bryant Lake & Blue Ribbon Pines) under my belt to test as a comparison, to see which of the three stacked up best, and while I enjoyed them all, Pickard IMO, made me think about my shot selection the best, and punished me for mistakes. I've heard the legend of this course for a number of years now, and have played the Des Moines area courses on several occasions, but due to Pickard's out of the way location, never made my way down to Indianola to play it. I'm glad I finally made the trip.

The Best of the Best

5+    6/1/2008   6/15/2010
Review By: z-man
Pros: How do I begin to describe the beauty of playing disc golf in Pickard Park...Lets start by reminding folks it was designed by the Woman's World Champion Julianna Korver...Trust me when I tell you she knows how to design a top notch course...

The flow of the course is what stands out to me when I try to compare this place to other courses I've played...It starts out with an opportunity to warm up your arm with two should be birdie holes...Then the course starts stretching out, a trend you'll find on a number of holes out here...

The flow moves from short, position type shots to longer par 4's and 5's in places...this constant stretching and shrinking really keeps you on your toes and keeps you thinking about each shot...There are no real gimmies out here (hole 2 is possibly the only one)

Hole 14 stands out in my mind as the most picturesque hole on the course...looking down the fairway to a basket tucked into the woods and behind a ravine is hard to describe...but once you step up to the tee pad you'll know what I'm trying to describe...There are plenty of other places for photo ops out there but this is one hole I'll never forget...

Amenities are top notch
Huge course with variety of shots
Gorgeous Iowa prairie and rolling hills
Never very busy as its about 25 minutes from Des Moines
Cons: NONE WHATSOEVER
(no smoking in the park but that's only a con if you smoke)
Other Thoughts: Play it if your ever in the area...you will not regret the decision...and bring plenty of water in the summertime...I think there may be a spigot or two out there but water will keep you moving up and down the hills

Best of the best

5+    11/8/2008   3/11/2009
Review By: SpikeHyzer
Pros: This course has everything.
- Cement tee pads
- Par 3's, 4's & 5's
- Water holes
- OB
- Elevation
Cons: Nothing takes away from this course. Definitely a must play course in Iowa
Other Thoughts: After my first time playing this course, I couldn't wait to play it again. It is truly a tester of a course.

cream of the crop (corn), it is Iowa after all

5+    6/1/2006   9/10/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: One of the best, premier courses in the world. Featuring many types of holes and terrain, including water, hills, tight woods, prairie, open grassy areas and more. Many distinct par 4's and 2 legitimate par 5's. Some holes so unique and interesting they cannot be compared to anything else in existence. Well maintained, clean, safe area, good tee pads and signs. Ample parking, free. Dual tees (supposedly- I don't remember? they may be new). Has an 800' hole through some trees up and then down a hill to a narrowing gap to hit at the end, with a fence on the left and woods on the right. A big over-water shot with a safe alt. route. Finishes with a challenging, uphill 900' hole with woods on the right, some trees in the fairway, and the basket on a thin strip of grass between some bushes on the left and water on the right!
Cons: I didn't find any. Maybe that there's not much else to do in Iowa? Does that count?
Other Thoughts: This course should be on everyone's list to play.