Indianola, IA
Pickard Park Share
Uploaded By: Donovan Hole #10 (Taken 6/2009)

1 2 3 Next >
 Iowa Prize Course

1    6/5/2009   6/6/2009
Review By: jace
Pros: The course is an absolute beauty to say the least. I can see why a couple of reviewers give it a 5, but I will have to disagree (see cons). Not big items, but enough to keep it from the best of the best. My review is based primarily on playing from the long tees.

- Absolutely GREAT hole type variety with 7 straight / 1 straight with water / 4 right / 4 left / 1 left with water / 1 "S" shape.
- Incredible hole length variety with 5<300 / 5 f/ 300-500 / 6 f/ 500-700 / 2>700.
- Also incredible hole type variety with an appropriate mix of open fairway holes to tightly wooded holes with narrow corridors. The variety will test ALL skill levels regardless of the tee you play from, a true sign of an exceptional course. There are a couple of corridor and wooded holes to test your accuracy along with a hole or two out of a wooded surrounded tee box. Hole 9 comes to mind ( dense tree coverage with a 12' corridor to climb 15 feet in elevation just to get off the tee box - the wimps can opt for the shorter tee box and skip the experience, but I don't know why you would!)
- nice concrete tee pads.
- nice course sign at first tee.
- Great tee/hole signage.
- 16 of 18 holes were easy to navigate without a map for a first timer.
- fairways were immacualtely mowed with the excpetion of 1 (not sure why?)
- Alternate tee pad locations still give the beginner or shorter arm thrower the same experience as the long tees (maybe i should have played the shorter ones to improve my score :) )
- Once you get past hole 3, the sports complex becomes non-existant with the exception of a cheer every so often, but maybe that was for me.....ahhh - anyhow - you feel secluded in the wilderness of the course.
- I was the only one playing the course..... are you kidding me? A course at this level should be packed, but it wasn't. That's a huge bonus!!!
Cons: - long tees on first 3 holes were spray paint on grass. My guess is future tees are forthcoming.
- some trash on a couple of holes (more trash cans would alleviate this since the course is so awesome!)
- course would benefit from bag hangers or a bench at each hole. Minor item, but I think one that alleviates you setting you bag on the tee or in the wet grass after a rain.
- no course maps at start.
- Holes 10 an 18 in my opinion are just too long. @ 825 and 958 they only favor big arm throwers. Both holes are beauiful, but it just felt like I was playing 2 holes in one.
- A small but minor opinion of mine, is that you need a practice putting area at the start for a perfect course. It should also have markers for distance so that you can warm up prior to a round. I did not see a practice basket when I played.
Other Thoughts: - Bugs were a nightmare! bring bug spray in summer months.
- A good pair of hiking books is recommended as well. The terrain is a beautifully manicured hike!
- Some may not appreciate the 4.5 rating, but I guess I will still reserve that for the day I play the perfect course. Pickard is without question a gem of a course!!! it is very comparable to Water Works in Kansas City, MO.
- If you have an opportunity to get this direction, this course will NOT let you down. One of the interesting things to me was the desire to get "in-the-woods". I kept playing the first several holes asking myself "when does this bad boy dive into the woods?" I was not let down when it finally did, and it will test your technical game.
- A MUST PLAY IF YOU'RE WITHIN 50 MILES OF THIS ONE.

See my detailed course review for more hole-by-hole information.

Best of the best

5+    11/8/2008   3/11/2009
Review By: SpikeHyzer
Pros: This course has everything.
- Cement tee pads
- Par 3's, 4's & 5's
- Water holes
- OB
- Elevation
Cons: Nothing takes away from this course. Definitely a must play course in Iowa
Other Thoughts: After my first time playing this course, I couldn't wait to play it again. It is truly a tester of a course.

This is what I expected from Iowa

1    9/7/2008   9/22/2008
Review By: Greg Layton
Pros: - Bathrooms, fountains, and a solid Bulletin Board.
- Well designed, course flows so that you never doubt where you're going next.
- Map box that offers maps (nothing in it when I played).
- Great signs that indicate where the next tee is... it's hard to believe how often this tiny detail is overlooked.
- Well maintained and yet rugged at the same time. The front nine is mostly open whereas the back nine offers more in the way of elevation to deal with.
- Water comes into play on four holes.
Cons: - Construction of a parking lot was an issue when I played. It appears that the longer tee pad no longer exists for the first two or three holes.
- The lake was nasty looking. Not the kind of water I'd want to go after a disc in.
- Personal preference here, but I'm not a big fan of monster 18th holes that test you to see if you have anything left. The pro teepad here is just unreal.
Other Thoughts: - The parking lot is under construction so I parked across the street at the church. The locals I played with informed me that there's a backdoor to the park somewhere around the 11th hole.
- After being slightly disappointed with my first two selections in Iowa (Walnut Ridge and Grandview) this course showed me what's possible in terms of solid Iowa disc golf. Unlike those other two, this is a must play course if you're driving through.

cream of the crop (corn), it is Iowa after all

5+    6/1/2006   9/10/2008
Review By: Innovadude
Pros: One of the best, premier courses in the world. Featuring many types of holes and terrain, including water, hills, tight woods, prairie, open grassy areas and more. Many distinct par 4's and 2 legitimate par 5's. Some holes so unique and interesting they cannot be compared to anything else in existence. Well maintained, clean, safe area, good tee pads and signs. Ample parking, free. Dual tees (supposedly- I don't remember? they may be new). Has an 800' hole through some trees up and then down a hill to a narrowing gap to hit at the end, with a fence on the left and woods on the right. A big over-water shot with a safe alt. route. Finishes with a challenging, uphill 900' hole with woods on the right, some trees in the fairway, and the basket on a thin strip of grass between some bushes on the left and water on the right!
Cons: I didn't find any. Maybe that there's not much else to do in Iowa? Does that count?
Other Thoughts: This course should be on everyone's list to play.

amazingly well kept.

5/24/2008   6/15/2008
Review By: staugiera
Pros: well groomed course. variety of distances. some holes have few hazards if you stay straight and others have only a narrow lane to throw down. two concrete launching pads on 17 holes and three for the super long 18th hole allow a variety of skill levels to play together at the same time.
Cons: with how nice the course is I would have expected more people to be playing the course.
Other Thoughts: I played this while visiting a friend so I don't know who takes care of the course, but it is an exceptionally well thought out course and extremely well maintained. Can't wait to play it again.

1 2 3 Next >