Seatac, WA
Uploaded By: sillybizz Hole #17

The new and improved Seatac

5+    12/9/2014   12/10/2014
Review By: forehandfranz
Pros: This is one of the longest and most challenging courses in the state of Washington. It recently went to 27 holes and it really is quite a treat! The course par could realistically be set at a higher, as many of the holes play like par 4's. It's good to keep in mind that you will need both length and accuracy to score well, so beware that you cannot just crush every shot, as it can be gnarly if you are caught in the rough, and 5's will become common. The fairways are shaped primarily by woods and shrubs along the edges with grassy fairways, and a just enough of shrubs and trees in the fairways to force creative shot-making. This length plays more like ball golf in that it often requires 2-3 accurate shots to make it to the green for your putt.
Chainbangerz disc club has mounted metal "Next Tee" signs underneath the baskets to help guide your way. These are awesome!
Cons: The jets overhead can be distracting, but once you accept their presence, it is fine.

The new nine hole loop has multiple pin positions on most of the holes, yet it seems that they don't switch the pins very frequently. Maybe I don't play there enough to notice, but oh well....

The main disappointment with the landscape is that the land lacks any significant elevation changes. This is made up with creative and challenging holes.

Vandalism has destroyed many of the original tee signs but hopefully the club can fund some vandal-free signs in the future. Meanwhile, the foam-core signs they used in a recent tournament have held up quite nicely (they have hole # and distance), but won't stay there forever...

Litter can be a problem, but they have placed many trash cans along the walks between holes. STOP BEING LAZY AND USE THESE!

The safety factor used to be a concern, as some people had run into vagabonds and hoodlums. The park has opened up more as a place for people to take a walk on the paved pathways, so it seems much friendlier, and less like a hideout than before.

Not for beginners or people who don't like to walk far - it's physical, and some of the rough is disc-eatin'.
Other Thoughts: I really like the inclusion of the new 9 holes. They are nicely balanced between long and short, and are very creative -especially 3 and 4! You also have the option to do this 9 as a short loop by going from #5 pin over to the #24 tee pad and finishing this loop back at the parking lot.

Well Balanced

2-4    11/13/2014   11/16/2014
Review By: TheMinnesotan
Pros: -Great Targets
-Diverse hole types requiring both "grip and rip" and finesse shots.
-27 holes
Cons: -The last 9 is long. Lots of par 4's. It would be a bit more fun IMO if the back nine was diversified a bit more instead of being one long hole after another.
Other Thoughts: I like this course a great deal, its one of my favorites in the area. Definitely worth playing!

Good, but slightly overrated

1    6/29/2014   6/30/2014
Review By: Krome
Pros: - Good variety overall. Trees, slight elevation changes (but mostly flat), and brush make this a fun course for seasoned and new players alike.
- Variety in distances. Some are short holes, others medium, and the later holes are long. Like... Really long.
- 27 holes makes for a good 2-2.5 hours with 2 people. 4 people would double that time, and 6 you could make a day of it.
- A couple of spots (holes 1 & 6 I think) offer a map to look at. My suggestion: take a picture of it if you have a camera phone. It'll come in handy.
- Signs on each basket points to the next hole, which is nice most of the time. But...
Cons: - The signs aren't always accurate. Particularly holes 4 and 6. My playing partner and I spent a good 10-15 minutes just trying to find hole 6, because the sign only pointed to the road that LEAD to the next hole... Not the hole itself. Kinda confusing.
- The baskets don't show what the hole number is, which can be confusing at times. (Another reason to take a picture of the map)
Other Thoughts: A good course overall, aside from the confusing mishaps of figuring out where the next hole is. I dig the good use of brush and trees with the relatively flat landscape (although I botched a lot of my drives due to a lot of the skinny trees... I'm trying not to be bitter).

The holes loop you around to where you started by hole 27, so that's also super handy.

I Approve....Of The New Changes!

1    4/13/2014   4/13/2014
This review was updated on 4/15/2014
Pros: I really liked what sillybizz (previous and as usual excellent, reviewer) wrote about some the new changes which were implemented here. Especially what he said about the overall vibe of the park now. There seems to be a lot more folks in and around SeaTac Park, walking, jogging, bicycling with families, etc. I didn't get the feel today of this being such a hangout for the homeless and drug users and others I don't care to have any contact with.

I especially liked being able to park in a parking lot along with the softball players as opposed to the tiny amount of off street we used to have. I was never comfortable leaving my car on the street up here.

Now before you start your round there are a number of practice baskets (4 or 5, Might this be just a tad overkill?). According to sillybizz, these are the new Mach X models. I thought it just said DGA on the side. I did notice that this model has the inner chains with an extra bolt keeping it tighter. It appears to me that this particular model would catch very well. Myself, I only hit one putt over six feet so I didn't really get a chance to see them in action. The course finishes with hole 27 right next to the lot where you started. Always a nice feature.

The course features large concrete pads, a mix of older baskets and nine of the new improved Mach X super catchers. The signs are currently temporary plastics models. I'm betting that permanent signs are in the works. I was quite impressed with the metal "Sea Tac Next Tee" arrows hanging from the baskets. For someone playing this course for the first time, these next tees signs would be a tremendous help.

Sea Tac DGC is long, ranges from tight to very tight and almost never gives you an easy look at the basket. It seems most of the 27 holes had groves of trees either in the middle of the fairway or blocking the basket. But I found these holes to be fair, difficult but fair.

It seems like this course is like playing that basketball team that keeps the full court press on the whole game. You really don't get a chance to have a breather/easy hole. They just keep coming at you , 450'-550' narrow tunnel shots especially on the final stretch. Finally upon reaching 26 and 27, you get a chance to relax a little and actually have a couple of possible birdie/ACE runs of less than 300'.
Cons: I'd love to see the final remnants of the homeless crowd finally picked up and packed out of here. Things like old blankets and nasty looking stained sleeping bags. Some skanky crap has happened in this park over the years. CSI Specials Victims type of slimy encounters!

I agree with silly once more that some elevation would really boost this course's overall appeal.
Other Thoughts: Sea Tac is not for the beginner or lower rated recreational player. It'll knock the socks off those types of players. Funny thing is, I consider myself as a 62 year old, a lower rated rec player. When I played the old layout here before, I really didn't like it, especially when coupled with the grungy overall feel of the park.

But playing the new layout today, I must admit I rather enjoyed having it hand me my lunch. I'll come back and try and break 100 next time. As I said earlier in my title, I Approve Of The Changes. Nicely done, Keith and the Chainbangerz!

Seatac now 27!

5+    4/12/2014   4/12/2014
Review By: sillybizz
Pros: Most of you know Seatac used to be an 18 hole course but now Keith (and the Chainbangerz Disc Golf Club) has added another nine holes. Keith and many volunteers have spent so many hours trimming branches, mowing fairways, clearing blackberries, removing obstacles and other tasks over the last few years to get the course in shape and ready for the new nine holes. On the side of the park where the new holes are used to not even be walkable and now there is a fully functional course here. The even more beautiful thing is that people are starting to use the trails in here again walking their dogs and what not, making the course feel less scary and trashy.

So we're starting near an actual parking lot now instead of the two open spaces near the old hole one and current hole number six. It's nice to not have to park on the street anymore. As you pull up you'll see the brand new Mach X practice baskets (four or five of them I believe) set up for putting/driving practice.

In order to achieve great scores here it is so important to be able to throw a mixture of different shots. There are low ceiling, turnovers, hyzers, tunnel shots, open shots, etc. The rough here is really good at keep bad drives from still getting pars and many times you will have to throw something out of your comfort zone. I learned how to throw a thumber (150 feet at best but that's all I needed) and a flick roller at this course.

With the new nine holes Keith has laid out multiple basket locations for each hole. Some like hole one have the same distance but move the basket left or right and you have the same hole with a different type of shot. Others like holes three and four have that same idea but then make the third position 200 feet farther and through more obstacles and then turn the hole into an interesting par four hole. The "old 18" although fun and super challenging only had one position.

Seatac used to be a course where people would come up to me playing all the time and ask me where the next hole is, luckily now though next tee arrows have been made out of metal and stuck to the bottom of the basket for easy navigation so if you have a little bit of common sense you should do just fine.
Cons: I think the course starts and ends kind of weak. Holes one and two are open (compared to the rest of the course) and short with the exception of the "C" location for hole one. Holes 26 and 27 are short, downhill RHBH hyzer holes with fairly open lines. Any player rated over 900 should get a birdie on these just about every time. I don't mind a few easier holes I just wish they were more spread out.

I still wish this park had some elevation change to it. Some uphill or downhill tunnel/low ceiling holes would be pretty darn awesome. The course already takes more than two hours to play and is quite exhausting but with some more elevation would make this an even more brutal work out.
Other Thoughts: I had a very small impact on helping get these holes in, I was always working for Keith at the pro shop so he could work on the course or talk to the city about planning and such. I am also proud of the money I have raised for the club as well. Keith and Chainbangerz Disc Golf Club are transforming Seattle Disc Golf into something bigger and better. Ask me five years ago if any of this was possible and I would have said no way.

27 and perfect!

5+    3/10/2014   3/29/2014
Review By: shakeandcrawl
Pros: Before adding the new 9, this course was pretty good. Offering a solid challenge for many different disciplines. But with the new 9 added, this course is firmly fixed in my top 3. Overall, the course has plenty of opportunities for deep drives as well as a few holes that require a little technical savvy. You may lose a disc or two, but only during the dead of summer when there is heavy overgrowth. Otherwise, this course is usually well maintained. Expect a little of a delay on the weekends, as this course is popular, but its deff worth the wait.
Cons: The signage could use some work, its nice to see the metal and plexiglass, but when it rains, they offer little assistance as the ink on the paper just smears. But honestly, the layout is pretty self explanatory, just follow the foot trails to the next tee box. Trash cans seem to be a little sparse as well.
Other Thoughts: I love this course. I try to go on a weekday, there's a lot less traffic. With the new 9 added, I can cruise the whole way in about 90 minutes. Only a few ace opportunities but a lot of wide opens for deep driving, which I like. Take a pic of the map at (now) hole 6 and refer to it when needed. And have fun!

Good Course

1    3/1/2014   3/4/2014
Review By: jawildey
Pros: Great new baskets mixed in with some older (but still good) baskets. Metal hanging signs pointing to next hole were a definite plus (missing a few still). Thanks to the abundance of trees, most of the holes offer some challenges. The holes seem to have a good progression of difficulty allowing you to get warmed up on the first few holes before getting into the more technical stuff. With one exception (don't remember the hole) finding the next tee box was not difficult for a first timer there.
Cons: Most of the tee box signage is poor. The signs are mostly just metal frames with plexiglass covered paper. The paper gets wet and moldy even behind the plexi. Since there are nine new holes and a redesigned layout, I expect some more tweaking to pin locations before the final layout is set. Maybe then some better signs will be installed.
Other Thoughts: Over all, I loved the course. Even though some holes are a little technical, I wouldn't hesitate taking a newbie here. There aren't too many disc eating obstacles, so even though it might take them a few extra strokes, they'll still have a good time and hopefully won't lose any of your discs.

Twenty-Seven!!

1    2/17/2014   2/18/2014
Review By: John M. Fretz
Pros: 9 new holes, making it a 27 hole course
New signs at each hole put in for tourney AND new metal arrows pointing to next tee
New holes have AWESOME new baskets/chains, almost no chance of a "fly-thru" on these chains
New holes done extremely well, using lines of trees and clearings perfectly
Its like a whole new course! AWESOME JOB, KEITH!!!!(and those who helped him)
Cons: No bathrooms except near the "new" parking area
Other Thoughts: Long course and very challenging. Not a con for some, but beginners might get frustrated here. Nearby Lakewood course much better for beginners