Seguin, TX
Texas Lutheran University DGC Share
Uploaded By: c_a_miller Hole #9 (Taken 6/2014)

TLU DGC

5+    4/11/2014   4/15/2014
Review By: rcmoore
Pros: The course offers plenty of chances to let it fly with your drives and has holes that cater to both right and left handed players.

Generally a flat surface with a small hill around holes 2 & 3.

The trees on campus offer a few interesting tunnel shots and the grounds are always well maintained.
Cons: I've been told that official tee box markers with hole #, par, and general direction are in the works, but at the moment the lack of signs can make this course difficult to navigate for the first few times around.

The tee boxes are pretty small. If I start from like 1.5 steps behind the box, I can step onto it and not overstep but that isn't exactly ideal.

Also, the course makes its way straight through the middle of campus so you do run the risk of meeting up with pedestrian traffic. However that is generally immediately before and after class, so it isn't a horrible inconvenience.

The chains are also a small problem. TLU only bought baskets with single chains, so you do run the risk of having your disc slip right through.
Other Thoughts: As a TLU student I love that we upgraded the course before I graduate. The full 18 with baskets is so much better than our old bell-and-chain set up.

I enjoy the challenge that this course offers me. Granted I have only been playing for around six months.

The location is also super convenient. I live a few blocks from campus, so in the past if I wanted to shoot at a basket I was forced to drive to SA, ATX, or the Texas State course.

Challenging course, Well Maintained

5+    4/10/2014   4/10/2014
Review By: AustinTxDiscGCapital
Pros: As mentioned it is well-maintained and challenging for even someone who's played for a while. Every hole plays long, so if you enjoy long drives your first shot, you'll enjoy this course. It is on a college campus so the grass is well cut and there's little chance of losing a disc. To me i felt there was relatively good variety among the holes as well. They did a good job with what they had on this campus in terms of course design. It is also just lightly wooded and plays on a relatively flat surface.
Cons: There aren't any signs up at any of the tee box and navigation can be an issue. Some days pedestrian traffic is better than others.
Other Thoughts: I enjoy this course very much and admire the length on most the par 3 holes. It adds a challenging feel to what would usually be easy par 4 holes.

Really Fun Course

1    4/7/2014   4/8/2014
Review By: JerryChesterson
Pros: - WELL MAINTAINED AREA, this course will always be in perfect condition with beautiful grass since it's on a college campus
- Lots's of really nice trees
- Holes are long, will strecth out your game
- a lot of cool roller shots
- Good variety of shots and several low long shots, which I personally like
- Lots of parking and facilities
- Targets are brand new (although they are single chain)
Cons: - Single chain baskets
- Hard to navigate the first time through
- no tee boxes (the tee boxes they have are rediculously small)
- Lots of walking
Other Thoughts: Whoever reviewed this first unjustly reviewed it. I played the course mid day on a Monday when you'd expect pedestrian traffic to be a problem. HOWEVER, it wasn't. The campus isn't busy and they did a great job with the land they had. Of course there are a few holes that left me scratching my head when throwing between buildings, it doesn't warrent rating this course as a 2 star course. Helotes is a 2 star course, not this course. If you are traveling through the area, play the course! If you are from the area, play the course. It's at least as good as the other courses in San Antonio.

1    4/4/2014   4/6/2014
Review By: c_a_miller
Pros: A course, especially 18 holes, in a town void of any courses is definitely a pro. The nearest course prior to the TLU course was in San Antonio, which is an easy 30 minute drive.

What surprised me the most about this course was the fact that it had a lot of length. Virtually every hole was above 375. This is surprising because at a college course, especially one that is small like TLU, you would not expect to find such long holes. With the lack of vegetation in Seguin, this course really will help grow any player's distance.

With limited use, the gravel tees will be suitable. I do not believe the course will get enough use to rut the tees, which is good. The DN Freedom baskets are also suitable, not great but not bad. I had never played on those baskets, but they are very similar to Lightning DB-5 baskets. The baskets are a huge improvement from the tone poles that can still be found throughout the campus of the old course.
Cons: This was one of the only courses that I have ever looked at a hole and audibly said, "This hole is ridiculous." Hole 9 at the course plays about 450' with a low ceiling that criss-crosses with the walking paths and plays in between two main buildings. This is just one example of a hole that has plenty of safety hazards. I do not even think that the course would be playable during the mid afternoon hours of a weekday with everyone walking around.

Distance to me is a pro and con. It can be frustrating to have a great drive and not even have a chance for the two because you are still 100'+ away. In my opinion, a good course needs a good mixture of short and long holes, which this course lacks.

Navigation can be a little confusing for a first timer. I believe tee signs will help tremendously with the navigation because Tee 11 and 13 are very hard to find and do not follow the flow of the course.

NOTE: The course plays around the campus for the first nine and then cuts through campus and then back out around it.
Other Thoughts: With several silly holes, and plenty of safety hazards, I believe 18 holes is too many for the space provided. From a visual standpoint, disc golf baskets are not at all visually pleasing to look at, and I feel it takes away a little bit from the look of the campus with baskets sitting next to the chapel.

I am happy to see that Seguin finally has a course. If I were a student at TLU, I would be ecstatic that a course is literally outside of my dorm. Hopefully, tee signs are in the plans soon.