Hot Summer day nice breezes
Pros: Nice mix of short and long holes. Some ace runs but most short holes have trees blocking the baskets. Some tight fairways on the long holes which makes an errant shot add a stroke or two.
Well marked signs and each basket has a flag and number. Ony had a couple of misplays due to not scoping out the correct pin.
Cons: Could be wet in high rain season. A few holes play back on each other so you need to be mindful of others on nearby fairways.
Other Thoughts: Lost my putter in the creek on hole 4 just passed the pin on this challenging hole. Only around 8' after the pin.
Just what Tampa needed
7 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: - Course sits on amazing property. There are open fields, Palm Trees, Palmetto bushes, Oak Trees, some water, and path/road/fence OB boundaries. The beach is only 100 yards away from the practice basket. I have had some of the most beautiful disc golf moments wrapping up a round driving on hole 18 with the sun setting on Tampa Bay.
- Baskets are Innova Disc Catchers. Course is still pretty new, baskets are in top notch shape
- Tee signs are beautifully mapped and have a well thought out narrative on how to play the hole on each sign.
- There is a great mix of Par 3's, 4's, and 5's out there.
- It really tests your game and rewards players with many shots in their bag. There are opportunities for backhand, forehand, thumbers, and rollers.
- On the par 4's and 5's you are rewarded by throwing placement shots in order to have look at birdies.
- Very rarely have a played a round where park goers are in the way. There is a jogging path that runs through the Disc Golf Course but it's not overly used and you're usually only waiting a brief moment for the person using the trail to get out of harms way.
- The Tee Pads are concrete, grippy, and nice and long :)
- REALLY close to Tampa International Airport. A great play for any Disc Golfers flying in looking to get their Disc Golf on.
-Westshore mall is very close by. Great place with a nice Food Court to get lunch between rounds.
- Also close to Cigar City Brewing. CCB is a big supporter of Disc Golf in the Bay Area, stop by after the round and enjoy some of Tampa's Finest Beer! Pet Friendly as well.
Cons: - Watch out for high shots (Thumbers, Spike Hyzers Etc) as the Palm Trees out there are hungry and like to eat discs. If you get one in the crown, there's no climbing that will get it out, and you'll usually get everything you throw up at it stuck as well.
- The front holes (1, 18, 17, and 16) can get mushy and even have some standing water in the rainy months. Standing water tends to occur Between 16's basket and 17's tee pad. You'll want to avoid hyzering out too far if you're a righty when throwing down 16's fairway if it's mushy. You might be taking your shoes off to get it, but you shouldn't lose anything in there.
- Not sure how course will do for tournament play. For example, on the front 4 field holes the ideal play is in other holes fairways. To get a good look at hole 1's basket you'll want to Hyzer into 18's fairway. To get a nice look at 18's basket you'll want to be in 17's fairway. To get a good look at 17's basket you'll want to be in 18's fairway. To get a good look at 16's basket you'll want to be in 17's fairway. This is pretty much the only time this happens on the course that I can recall, but it's the reason I'm giving it a 4.5 instead of a 5.0.
- As of a few months ago when I played there weren't many benches out there. If I recall correctly holes 1, 4, 10, and 17 have picnic benches near the tee pads. This doesn't bother me at all, but I know it's important to some. Especially being the looooong course that it is.
Other Thoughts: Overall, this course is fantastic! I really wish it would have been around when I grew up only a few miles away from that park. This is a must play if you haven't yet!
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Such a great course
3 Helpful / 2 Not
Pros: This is absolutely an amazing course in Tampa and is probably my favorite. A beautiful park with fantastic pads and the best signs I have ever seen. At the very beginning of the course you have jumbo jets flying in directly overhead, which can actually affect your shots because of the wind vapors. Seeing the Jets this close is a pretty cool and unique feature. Just give it a few seconds after they pass over before you throw into any unwanted wind turbulence. Once you get into the course it becomes more challenging and quieter as you move away from the jets flight pattern. There are so many challenging and unique shots here. I used every disc in my bag and I wished that I had more. This course is hard but very fair. It will make you a better player.
Cons: This course fits in this park like a glove. Truly a great use of space with the design but it would be nice if you had a little bit more privacy on some of the holes. It would also be nice to have amateur pads on most of these holes.
Other Thoughts: Put some amateur pads in here. This course deserves it.
3 of 5 people found this review helpful.
2 Helpful / 7 Not
Pros: This is a world-class course for sure. Stunning landscapes with a wide variety of vegetation. It is a very challenging course and can sometimes be frustrating for the average player. Fantastic tee-pads and probably the nicest signs I have ever come across. It is a very well thought out designed course and it utilizes every part of the property. Be aware, there are a lot of palm trees that will eat your disc.
2 of 9 people found this review helpful.
5 Helpful / 3 Not
Pros: Great signs, beautiful park, and the elements of wind from mother nature and aircraft (vapor trails can wreck havoc on 17/18. Creative basket placements make approach shots during grip and rip holes top notch.
Cons: Like a lot of courses I just don't get the fascination with having holes completely submerged in the woods with trees everywhere. Makes luck and bad luck a major player.
Other Thoughts: This is a true disc course that makes you think about every type of shot and was well laid out.
5 of 8 people found this review helpful.
long and technical without water hazards (mostly)
1 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: -this is probably the closest course to an airport that I can remember which is awesome when you fly in from the cold and want to play immediately.
-great job fitting this long of a course into such a small space, but that leads to problems, see below
Cons: -luckily, there wasn't too much standing water when I was there, but I can see that being a real big problem.
-if busy, I could imagine a few danger spots where people will basically be throwing towards each other
-#10 doesn't have a fairway through the palms
-would hate to go over the fence and have to walk that far to retrieve a disc
Other Thoughts: this and cliff are about the same level of fun and difficulty for me, but here you have only one real water hazard
1 of 2 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 4 Not
My favorite course.
Pros: There are so many things to like about this course. It's a beautiful piece of property from beginning to end. It is very challenging yet very fair. There are a lot of really long holes, so big arms can rip it and feel good about it. There's a lot of technical holes as well. You may use every disc in your bag here. Very well thought out and creative design that uses the entire piece of property. The airplanes coming and going overhead at the beginning of the course is a unique environment. The tee-pads and signs are the best I have ever seen anywhere.
Cons: I really can't think of any cons.
4 of 8 people found this review helpful.
1 Helpful / 8 Not
Pros: nice landscape
I found the landscape quite intriguing.
Cons: too long for amatures
need arrows at baskets
Not many chances to get aces.
Other Thoughts: better directions....take Cypress to its end, then take the left to the park parking area. Park in area closest to entry.
1 of 9 people found this review helpful.
3 Helpful / 1 Not
Pros: The course is spread out very nicely and it flows smooth. The signs are very high quality and the course has a lot of nice new benches and hooks for your bags on every hole. The concrete tee's are all in perfect shape and the baskets are perfect and bright yellow so you can see them from a distance. That is good because this course is long! Hole 16 is 885 and I played it into a 35 mile per hour wind. Got a 9 but really had to work for it. I can not wait to play this course again.
Cons: A few holes with standing water but there was a big storm the night before. There was also a bunch of fallen tree limbs but that probably had something due to the 30+ wind. So overall not too much in the cons.
Other Thoughts: I really need another shot at this course with much less wind and now that I know where each hole is I know I can knock a few strokes off. Very long course with a lot of well placed trees and holes. Lots of fun!
3 of 4 people found this review helpful.
Great Course. Sport heading in this direction
7 Helpful / 0 Not
Pros: It is a great course that is quiet. There is one bike path/jogging trail that goes through it but is never really busy. There are some long holes so it is a break away from traditional par 54 courses. Nice Innova baskets, big cement tee pads, and recently installed tee signs which in my opinion are some of the best signs you can use on a course. I have only really played during Fall and Winter and it has stayed fairly dry other than dew in the morning and casual water on 1, 17, and 18 after a rain.
Cons: Holes are a little bit cramped in some areas. Lots of fairway overlapping that would make it hard for tournaments in the future. Mosquito's have been out at sunrise in the winter months so be sure to have bug spray come summertime. There is not enough benches for sitting, plus no water fountains or bathrooms on the course. You would have to go to the other end of the parking lot near the bay for that.
Other Thoughts: This is still a new course and still getting "beat in" so game play will only get better. I love it because it's 10 minutes from work and I get a round in before I clock in. I hope to see more courses like this pop up soon.
7 of 7 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.