Tampa, FL
Cypress Point Park Share
Uploaded By: Cgkortz Hole #18 (Taken 4/2014)

Scenic and gorgeous right by the Bay!

1    11/20/2014   12/1/2014
Review By: jjw4ucm
Pros: Lots of very fun, long shots to keep you interested. I could see where the design was going with each shot and really enjoyed it.

The park is just gorgeous. Most of the woods are palm trees, there's views of the bay, and the throws here are fun and scenic for the most part.

Baskets are in great condition, obviously, since they are new. They are numbered which is absolutely invaluable. Tee pads are new, nice, and grippy.

I found the design lots of fun and it never left me bored. Good shot variety kept it interesting for me most of the time. I loved the use of the creek behind 4 and the massive left dogleg on 8 - great job!

To be honest, I didn't find navigation here to be all THAT cumbersome. Sure, it was harder than it should have been, but the flow of the course was such that you generally could see the next tee pad from the preceding basket. To give you an idea, I spent about 1/4th as much time being lost here as I did at Tocobaga over in St. Pete. Maybe I just got lucky, but I wouldn't let the lack of signage keep you from playing here.

This park is absolutely beautiful and even has a beach if you're interested. Bathrooms and trash facilities were readily accessible at the parking area. There was sufficient parking as well when I was there and there were no other disc golfers, however it was also 12:00 PM on a workday.

The challenges present walk the line between fun and frustrating really well, and almost always end up on fun. Most of the frustrations here I feel can be ironed out and aren't a factor of the course design.

There aren't benches in the traditional sense of being directly next to the tees. However, there are plenty of areas on the course you can have a seat. Since it wasn't busy, this is something I could have done had I wanted to.

The course appeared pretty well maintained when i was there to be honest. As a full disclaimer, I was here in November so the bugs, water, and the like weren't anywhere near as bad as they can be in Florida in Summer.
Cons: Already been harped on, but there is ZERO signage here. I know I said navigation wasn't impossible, but it takes a very conscious effort without the aid of a map or signs! Bakset 18 is visible from the road, but there really isn't any parking close by and no indication where to go for hole 1. Be prepared to keep your head on a swivel and pay lots of attention to finish out a round here. I had to keep good mental notes of what basket was numbered which for future reference. The photos someone very kindly posted here were invaluable as well, thanks!

You are playing right beneath Tampa International Airport's southern approach. You can almost read the call signs of the airplanes; it wasn't horrible and really not much worse than road noise, but just be prepared!

You're also right by a rather large office park, and I played right around lunch, so I saw lots of people in khakis and ID badges meandering through the park and eating lunch. Very nice folks but might delay your throws a bit.

The thick woods are almost all palm trees, which I've learned are a bear to thread discs through. Some variation would be helpful to the course I think.
Other Thoughts: This course has monster potential and could be an amazing weekend destination. Put up some signs and navigational aids, and you have a gorgeous pro-style course that even the non-pros among us such as myself can enjoy.

While there were no bugs, no standing water, and no overgrowth when I was here, I also played in November. I saw several areas that could get bogged down quick if it was the rainy season.

This course is truly a 3.75 to me. Throw in some signs and it's a solid 4. However, I feel even without, it's still a blast to play and I really enjoyed my round here a lot. The signs would not have really increased my enjoyment of the course, and the lack of them did not decrease my enjoyment measurably. However, this is only my opinion, and you may feel totally differently -- and that's okay! I rate on the enjoyment and the quality of course design, and I found both of them to be good here personally. As a disclaimer, I plan to play again in summer and my rating may change as a result. Happy discing.

johnny4put

1    10/21/2014   10/26/2014
Review By: johnny4put
Pros: Nice concrete tees. Nice baskets. Very scenic
Cons: Tees not marked. A map would be helpfull. No signage or arrows to show the way to the next hole. Very important.... bring lots of bug spray...
Other Thoughts: I couldnt find the basket for 8, I played to basket 9.then played 13 ,14,15, and 16. At that point I had enulf. 17 and 18 were visible. I was just over it by then

Not a very interesting course

1    9/6/2014   9/6/2014
Review By: domromer
Pros: Plays through some scenic palms.
Cons: No signage
hard to find your way around
course does not flow
Not an easy course to walk up and play
Other Thoughts: This course is fine if you play ti all the time and know where all the pads and pin are located. But if you are visiting I'd give this course a miss. As of right now it's a pain to navigate without signage and not interesting enough to make it worth while.

This Course Made My Friend Butthurt, Literally!

1    8/17/2014   8/17/2014
Review By: thrembo
This review was updated on 12/2/2014
Pros: A somewhat scenic, pro player style, coastal Florida course with a some positive aspects, but also a few cons.

The course zig-zags through a heavily wooded, grassy fairway, no rough to speak of, low lying area. Alot of the longer holes have open fairways, followed by well guarded pin placements. There is a nice mix of short and long holes, but the course definately leans to the longer side.

Nice concrete tee pads, and fresh Innova baskets.

Some interesting bumpy, rolling terrain features.
Cons: The first thing that you will notice is the almost constant, extremely loud noise of airplanes coming in/out of the Tampa Int Airport.

Only one set of tee pads. Could use a set of Am tees IMO.

Almost complete lack of tee/next tee signs. Print The map, and get a guide if playing for the 1st time. You can see multiple baskets on some of the tees, and on some of the tees you can only see a basket that you don't want to throw at.

There can be alot of standing water (6-12" deep) on this course during rainy season (spring through fall). Standing water in Florida=mosquitos.

Other Thoughts: I believe that this course has a 4+ rating potential. I would add a set of Am tees, get the tee/next tee signs in, and see what can be done about the drainage.

As of right now, I prefer Medard, Taylor and Cliff in the Tampa area. I would also caution Rec/Beginer level players. The course is long and hard, with difficult navigation issues. Could be very frustrating for noobs.

Oh, how did my friend get butthurt? He was teeing off at hole 16, and we were running out of steam a little bit, and he sprained a glute trying to go large. "Dude, the Climo course made you butthurt!" Lol!

Big arm of love

2-4    6/6/2014   8/8/2014
Review By: boursin
Pros: set right on Tampa Bay near the airport, some very long holes and some mid length and some short holes, a very good mix of shots needed. This course can be open and can be quite technical, I heard Ken Climo designed this course so be prepared for a challenge (multiple multiple world champ what do you expect) the first time I played this course it was pretty much dry the next time there was knee deep water on 1, 17, 17 and 18.
Cons: except for the water issue and the lack of signage on each hole not to many to speak of
Other Thoughts: play it when there has not been a lot of rain or you will be wet. Bring your Icy Hot you will need it after you huck this long monster (thanks Ken) When we played there bugs were incredible a couple of mosquitoes tried to pick up one of my discs and fly away with it. they were horrible bring your DEET. the fire ants were also pretty terrible other than that it is a super course that I will play over and over

Beautiful park, poor design

1    6/22/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: Jabberwocky
Pros: The best thing about this course was the beautiful park. Very scenic setting. The baskets were also very nice and marked well. Bugs were very non existent.
Cons: I know it's a new park but signage is really needed to help navigate course. The layout requires crisscrossing of holes. The low canopy would have been nice for a challenging course if the numerous palm trees weren't so good at trapping discs.
Other Thoughts: Overall I think this course has a lot of potential. It is a challenging course that was a lot of fun to play. Because of crisscrossing holes however, tournaments might be too congested to be enjoyable to play. Also the low canopy of Palm trees will slow play as people try to retrieve discs which can be a challenge with Palm trees. Fun, beautiful course, that needs a little more work to get a 4 star rating.

Nice park

1    6/3/2014   6/22/2014
Review By: WAR813
Pros: - Great length.
- Great use of space.
- Great shot diversity.
- Nice park.
- Great tee pads.
Cons: - Got stung by some wasps trying to retrieve my putter from under some palms.
- Needs more trash cans.
- Needs better signage.
Other Thoughts: I really loved that the course had some par 4's and 5's. I'm sure that trashcans and signage issues will be handled as the course is still pretty new.

Great new course

1    6/20/2014   6/20/2014
Review By: Rich.Carrozza
Pros: I like courses that require a big arm and this one makes you bring it. Huge hyper and anhyzer bombs to be had here. Tee pads were perfect length and baskets are pristine. A wonderful, beautiful course in a nice park.
Cons: Not much to say that hasn't already been said. No hole signs or next tee directional signs. Few trash cans. A few benches have been put it which is nice and the killer bees are gone. Grass needs to be mowed a little, but other than that it was a great course. Tons of fun.
Other Thoughts: Super fun. Big long shots. Plenty of Palm trees to thread between which always is a nice challenge.

Pro Level Course

1    5/5/2014   5/10/2014
Review By: JohnPSI
Pros: Excellent tee pads and signage! Very thoughtful layout that takes advantage of every bit of topography available. The trees provide a canopy to shoot under on most holes, while a few are wide open. I had to use every disc, shot and trick i had on this course, and was spent at the end. There's even a proper practice basket that is segregated from the rest. Plenty of shade to be found on this course to give you a break from the sun. I believe hole 5 was my favorite, 550ish through to the back of the course, with a water side basket that might make you rethink your putt
Cons: Not much to really complain about, but giving it an honest review: there are a lot of other park users that are friendly, but could delay your throw on a few holes. The landing planes are fun to watch while warming up, but distracting when playing. The reality is, the only things keeping this course from getting a 5 is lack of benches, trashcans, and next tee directional signs.
Other Thoughts: This course is really a gem! I would bring the bug spray during the rainy season, but other than that, bomb on !

Great one in Tampa

1    4/20/2014   4/20/2014
Review By: BeauRoch
Pros: Great layout. Need to be able to play a wide variety of shots of varying lengths. Course is in good shape and was fun to play.
Cons: Need to get those killer bees out of there...they affect three holes. Needs signage.