Fletcher, NC

1 2 Next >
 Ouch... My Back!

1    7/12/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Wow! Not many pros. I suppose it's a pro that the course is here. I mean, a course is better than no course - right?
- The only real pro I can see (other than mentioned above) is this would be a great place to practice your distance.
Cons:
- This course is too long for its own good. I think only one hole was under 400' and there were at least four over 500'. If you like this... I guess this is a pro. But, to the average man it's monotonous bomb after monotonous bomb... half the time even your second shots are bombs.
- Another reviewer mentioned this would be a good course for beginners... No Way! Besides being too long and spoiling their interest, the "little" alcoves the baskets are placed in are surrounded by thick disc eating vegetation most of which is poison ivy.
- You can't even practice rollers cause the grass is so thick.
- There is a serious lack of birdie-able holes here. I might have only had one reasonable birdie chance the whole round.
- The basket placement requires you to throw near the non-disc golfing public... over picnic tables, near a hiking trail, along the parking lot, again near the hiking trail. Not only do you have to wait to shoot, it's dangerous.
- I wish the designer would have thought about the quality of shots and not just the distance of shots. So much more could have been done here. A much more fun, user friendly, safer, 18 hole course could have been designed... too bad.
- Did I mention my back - OUCH!
- My Score: +4

Beginner's Course

5+    6/20/2009   6/20/2009
Review By: jhalvor5
This review was updated on 7/20/2009
Pros: Wide open field always leaves a safe play.
Very good beginner course.
(Keep in mind the Par 3 is for Professionals. There is a recreational par of 39, not 27)
Cons: First two tees not well marked.
Can be boring with a lack of variety from hole to hole.
Non-pro par is not marked, not every hole is a par 3.
Beware of families picnicing on the second hole.
Other Thoughts: Holes are hard to hit, as they're in alcoves in the trees.
Flat field floods when it rains a bunch, as the current conditions are.

Beginners luck

5+    6/16/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: masonrph2
This review was updated on 6/22/2009
Pros: Safe options on every hole. Risk/reward decisions on 5 holes. Water, woods, and OB lead to strategy but not too penal. Variety of distances 330' to 540'.
Cons: Weaves through walking trails and near a soccer field. This leads to some distractions. Very flat so puddling in field an issue after heavy rains.
Other Thoughts: A good course for beginners. Nice baskets. Free.

D+ = i Don't throw 500'

2-4    7/12/2005   4/20/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- D
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- D

Decent but unexciting

1    3/29/2007   8/21/2008
Review By: m1ke
Pros: Nice park; well maintained, good facilities.
Cons: Very little variety- holes mostly go counter-clockwise around edge of park so there's a lot with trees on the right, wide open on the left and/or most of the fairway itself. Flat. Not much challenge on most holes other than distance- any obstacles are usually around where the basket is placed, with most of the fairway wide open.
Other Thoughts: There are at least some friendly locals here; I lost a disc in the pond on hole 9 and somebody fished it out and called me to come get it less than 10 minutes after I left- good thing since I was visiting from out-of-state! Still, I won't go back next time I visit (this course is about a half-hour from my parents' house); there's just not much to this course.

My first

5+    12/27/2006   8/20/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 10/1/2008
Pros: Good open spaces for long wide throws. Nice park setting with water fountains & air-conditioned bathrooms. 9 holes play fast. Pond & OB come into play on many holes.
Cons: No benches. No elevation. This course is a little boring compared to others in the area.
Other Thoughts: This is where I first played disc golf! This is a multi-use facilty so there are often picknickers, joggers, soccer players etc. around certain baskets. If the weather is nice it will be especially crowded.

Let 'er rip

2/10/2008   4/22/2008
Review By: dherdt
Pros: If you want long holes that reward distance, this is it. Some pins are protected by woods and shrubs, but all of the tees have wide open fairways. Great for the big arm.
Cons: Very flat and not a lot of variety. Jogging track in play on many of the holes.

Nice Park ~ Okay Course

3/21/2008   3/23/2008
Review By: kpkirishy
Pros: This Course is set in a really nice park. There are several holes where you can really let it rip.
Cons: The holes weren't marked very well at all. We spent a lot of time trying to find tees and there aren't many obstacles so the wind can really come into play. The park is also pretty busy (we were there on a Friday afternoon) and we spent a lot of time waiting for folks to be out of the way.
Other Thoughts: If I lived near this course I would play it fairly often but i didn't feel it was worth the trip.

1 2 Next >