Fletcher, NC
Uploaded By: DiscChainBasket18 Hole #6

Ok course

5+    7/5/2011   7/10/2011
Review By: ncjay
Pros: It's an ok course, nothing spectacular here. Some long drives straight across open fields so you get to really see what your disc can do.
Cons: Very flat and wide open. the wind can come into play alot. also a very popular park so there is alot of time spent waiting on walkers/joggers and bicycles.
Other Thoughts: close to home so i get to play it alot.

Wasted potential

1    10/28/2010   10/29/2010
Review By: heelboycraig
Pros: Great park with some very good basket placements. The course layout unfortunately kills what could, and should, be a very good 9-holer.
- Great piece of land for a 9-hole course. Holes are all mostly open, with minimal trees coming into play on a few holes.
- Crookston has some great, challenging pin placements, with trees or wetlands playing good obstacles. Out of 9 holes, 6 or 7 have very challenging putting areas.
- Plenty of open space to unleash some big drives. Course definitely favors big arms. Average hole length is 441, with none less than 300 feet, meaning average throwers aren't going to see many birdie 2 putts. You can still get plenty of 3s with smart throwing.
- Great course to empty your bag throwing drives. Plenty of room, open and flat space make it ideal to work on adding distance.
- Course is in the far back of a great city park. It plays mostly around a walking trail, and also near a wetland. By wetland, they mean small pond, but whatever. Anything to be eco-friendly.
- It's a very clean and well maintained park. My wife even commended how clean the bathrooms are. Course has lots of amenities - ball fields, walking trails, picnic shelters, nice creek running along side the park.
Cons: This is one of the most disappointing courses I've ever played. It should be so much better than it is, and I blame that on 2 major flaws. Unfortunately for the course, these 2 issues come in to play on just about every single hole.
- The first is the length. It's not that the course is too long for me, but that it's too long for it's layout. You hear in football when a punter outkicks his coverage, negating a longer-than-normal punt. And that's essentially Crookston's problem. Sometimes less (distance) is more. I'll focus on holes #5 & 7 as my chief examples.
- Both holes have good distance (482 & 420 respectively), with legitimately challenging basket placements - #5 behind some trees, #7 nestled in an opening, surrounded by trees. These would both be difficult baskets to get close to from long range. So, why does the course make these holes too long that nobody is going to be going for them with a driver? If these holes were in the 300 foot range, these holes become reachable for most players, and suddenly become huge risk/reward holes. You might get close to the basket, and have a birdie putt, but you might also hit, or get stuck behind a tree, making it a difficult 2nd shot. By making these holes too long, the 300 foot thrower is now going for these tough baskets from a shorter, easier range (100 - 150 feet). It's much easier to get your disc close from shorter range, meaning the advantage goes from the course to the player.
- The other major flaw with the course is that it runs along the walking path, at times presenting unsafe, dangerous shots. For example, the "official" wide, walking trail runs behind the baskets for #2 - 4 (as you can see on the course map), but there's the walking trail that people actually use, which is in front of these 2 baskets, and also comes into play on #5, 7 & 8. On #4 you're throwing a blind shot over the walking trail, to a dogleg right basket, meaning your shot will cross back over the trail. On #2, you're also throwing down a fairway with the parking lot/road on the left, and benches, horseshoe pits, walking trail on the right/the most direct route. I played the course on a Thursday afternoon, and even with that, had to wait on 3 different holes for the few people on the walking trail. Again, if holes were shortened/moved, some of this would be eliminated.
- The mando on #8 is terrible, possibly the worst I've seen. As you can see in one of the pics, you're throwing through a narrow "fairway", mando pole on left, thick overgrowth on right. I could be ok with that because it prevents you from throwing back at #7 tee. My issue is the second mando pole you're supposed to throw around. After my tee shot, my second shot was maybe 150 feet, straight to the basket. But, I had to throw out of the way, around an unnecessary second mando. Mandos are only good if they're needed, not these artificial, "let's make it tougher" ones.
- The tee for #9 was way too close to the tall brush around the wetlands. You have to throw at angle on the tee, or off the tee to go around the brush.
- Not a beginner-friendly course at all. Most local park, 9-holers try to reach out to first-timers and/or families. I'd hope there aren't many, or any, people who play this as their first course, and get turned off to the game.
Other Thoughts: Overall, I don't know if I was more frustrated with the problems or with the fact there are simple solutions to all of them. Making each hole about 100 feet too long, and/or "challenging" (possibly unsafe) gave me the sense of someone wanting to have the longest course in the area. Having the best possible course would have been a much better option. Judging by the other reviews, I'm not alone in my disappointment with the course.
- #7 could have been another great hole without the mandos. Move the tee further down the path, past the first mando pole. Imagine the fun of pulling out a driver, knowing if your shot goes long, it's in the pond/thick brush.
- Fair or unfair, I played this course seeing the potential every hole had. I compared each hole to what it could have been.
- If you want to see a good example of making an open course fair and challenging drive 30 minutes to Brevard, and play that 18-holer.
- This course could have been one of the top 2 or 3 nine-holers I've played, instead, it's one of the top 2 or 3 most disappointing courses I've played. I feel bad for the locals who have this rated 2.5 or higher. This isn't anywhere close to an average course.
- I wish there was a 1.25 rating. 1.5 is way too high for this course, so it's getting a 1.0. It's sad that with so much possibility, this is the best they could do. On the bright side, at least this course has more room for improvement than most courses.

An afterthought

2-4    4/2/2010   4/2/2010
Review By: El Oso Peligroso
This review was updated on 6/2/2010
Pros: This course has lots of opportunities to throw your max D drivers, in fact this might be the best course in town for testing your distance drives. The hole layouts are a mixed bag.The ones that aren't totally open field are actually pretty good. Holes 2, 3, and 9 stand out as quality holes.
Cons: The biggest con is that the course is designed around a very popular walking trail. This means constant waits to throw, and usually playing a hole really wide to avoid the people who hang out in the middle of the fairway. The tee pad for 1 is hard to find but since it's totally open and flat it doesn't really matter where you throw from.

If you can't drive at least 300', this course is not going to be very fun for you. There's no elevation change at all, which makes for an easy round at the expense of variety.
Other Thoughts: It would be nice if they planted a few trees in the MASSIVE open field the course plays around and moved the baskets there. As it is it's frustrating to have to share the course with a LOT of walkers. There is definitely enough land here that this should not be an issue, but thanks to poor design it is.

Ouch... My Back!

1    7/12/2009   7/12/2009
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- Wow! Not many pros. I suppose it's a pro that the course is here. I mean, a course is better than no course - right?
- The only real pro I can see (other than mentioned above) is this would be a great place to practice your distance.
Cons:
- This course is too long for its own good. I think only one hole was under 400' and there were at least four over 500'. If you like this... I guess this is a pro. But, to the average man it's monotonous bomb after monotonous bomb... half the time even your second shots are bombs.
- Another reviewer mentioned this would be a good course for beginners... No Way! Besides being too long and spoiling their interest, the "little" alcoves the baskets are placed in are surrounded by thick disc eating vegetation most of which is poison ivy.
- You can't even practice rollers cause the grass is so thick.
- There is a serious lack of birdie-able holes here. I might have only had one reasonable birdie chance the whole round.
- The basket placement requires you to throw near the non-disc golfing public... over picnic tables, near a hiking trail, along the parking lot, again near the hiking trail. Not only do you have to wait to shoot, it's dangerous.
- I wish the designer would have thought about the quality of shots and not just the distance of shots. So much more could have been done here. A much more fun, user friendly, safer, 18 hole course could have been designed... too bad.
- Did I mention my back - OUCH!
- My Score: +4

Beginner's Course

5+    6/20/2009   6/20/2009
Review By: jhalvor5
This review was updated on 7/20/2009
Pros: Wide open field always leaves a safe play.
Very good beginner course.
(Keep in mind the Par 3 is for Professionals. There is a recreational par of 39, not 27)
Cons: First two tees not well marked.
Can be boring with a lack of variety from hole to hole.
Non-pro par is not marked, not every hole is a par 3.
Beware of families picnicing on the second hole.
Other Thoughts: Holes are hard to hit, as they're in alcoves in the trees.
Flat field floods when it rains a bunch, as the current conditions are.

Beginners luck

5+    6/16/2009   6/17/2009
Review By: masonrph2
This review was updated on 6/22/2009
Pros: Safe options on every hole. Risk/reward decisions on 5 holes. Water, woods, and OB lead to strategy but not too penal. Variety of distances 330' to 540'.
Cons: Weaves through walking trails and near a soccer field. This leads to some distractions. Very flat so puddling in field an issue after heavy rains.
Other Thoughts: A good course for beginners. Nice baskets. Free.

D+ = i Don't throw 500'

2-4    7/12/2005   4/20/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- D
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- D
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- D
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- D
Other Thoughts: I ranked this course subjectively based on my own personal enjoyment factor...more accurately my "personal addiction factor". Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they chose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I say adds anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

Decent but unexciting

1    3/29/2007   8/21/2008
Review By: m1ke
Pros: Nice park; well maintained, good facilities.
Cons: Very little variety- holes mostly go counter-clockwise around edge of park so there's a lot with trees on the right, wide open on the left and/or most of the fairway itself. Flat. Not much challenge on most holes other than distance- any obstacles are usually around where the basket is placed, with most of the fairway wide open.
Other Thoughts: There are at least some friendly locals here; I lost a disc in the pond on hole 9 and somebody fished it out and called me to come get it less than 10 minutes after I left- good thing since I was visiting from out-of-state! Still, I won't go back next time I visit (this course is about a half-hour from my parents' house); there's just not much to this course.

My first

5+    12/27/2006   8/20/2008
Review By: DiscChainBasket18
This review was updated on 10/1/2008
Pros: Good open spaces for long wide throws. Nice park setting with water fountains & air-conditioned bathrooms. 9 holes play fast. Pond & OB come into play on many holes.
Cons: No benches. No elevation. This course is a little boring compared to others in the area.
Other Thoughts: This is where I first played disc golf! This is a multi-use facilty so there are often picknickers, joggers, soccer players etc. around certain baskets. If the weather is nice it will be especially crowded.

Let 'er rip

2/10/2008   4/22/2008
Review By: dherdt
Pros: If you want long holes that reward distance, this is it. Some pins are protected by woods and shrubs, but all of the tees have wide open fairways. Great for the big arm.
Cons: Very flat and not a lot of variety. Jogging track in play on many of the holes.