LaPlata, MD
Turkey Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: neanderthal85 Hole #4 (Taken 9/2014)
3 / 172ft.   3 / 270ft.   4 / 446ft.   4 / 548ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #4 Blue Tee Sign

Turkey Hill - She was my first

2-4    8/15/2014   8/28/2014
Review By: neanderthal85
This review was updated on 9/6/2014
Pros: This is the first disc golf course I ever played. Must say - this sport is harder than it looks. I was great at ultimate, but this is a whole other beast!

The course itself is very nice. It is spread out in a large circular pattern around a sports complex with baseball fields, soccer fields, a dog park, etc.

The front 9-ish is fairly open and exposed. Starting with the back 9, you are in the woods - a lot, until I think about 17. The woods holes are nice (minus 13 - I hated that hole).

I like that the course is open and is a good course for a first timer. There are two sets of nice tees for each hole, so for someone like me who wanted the challenge of playing from the blue tees, but didn't want to go swimming to find the Frisbee, I could use the shorter tees on 4 and 18 (where there are big water carries).
Cons: We were lost on a few holes, as there are hidden signs or signs that point and then don't really lead in the general direction. I also hated 13. I see other people love it. I couldn't tell where the hole was at. Lost my disc twice, fell down the hill and was scrapped up pretty badly.

Also, as others said, I kept looking for this second set of holes, but they didn't exist.

18 water carry is pretty easy as long as you stay straight, but 4 is tougher. I cheat up a little, but it's still a tough carry. Lilypads means you can probably find your disc.
Other Thoughts: I went on a Friday and there were maybe 10 other people in the whole park. They do have Monday night tourneys, so that's a good option for anyone who wants to get competitive. I think once the other baskets are in, it will improve (EDIT: they have been added and are great! Really gives you options and improves several holes, namely 7 and 17). Maybe plant some more obstacles. But for a first course, this was a gem!

Date: 8/28/2014 Designer Response by: jrawk
Hi there. Thanks for the review. The second set of baskets (reds) were installed this past tuesday (8/26/2014). Looks like you played right before they were installed. Check em out the next time you're there!

Gem off 301

5+    7/6/2014   7/30/2014
Review By: prerube
This review was updated on 9/15/2014
Pros: LOCATION! this course is right off 301 so anyone travelling 301 can easily add this course to their list. There is no other course for over 30 minutes in any direction. Course is just 30 minutes from the Virginia Bridge, 6 minutes from Waldorf mall, and less than an hour from DC.

Great shot variety and variety in hole distances.
2 pin positions and 2 tee pads for nearly every hole.

Tee pads are generous concrete pads. Tee signs on both pads in color.

Specially made stairs created to climb the hill from 13 to 14.

The only 2 water hazards on this side of the bay bridge. Both are moderately low risk and offer a safer option for newer players.

Hole 14 features a mound built specifically for that basket. Hole 18 features a Winthropesque elevated basket.

Practice basket near a parking lot specially for disc golfers.

Porto potties at parking lot, hole 3, and hole 9.
Cons: Drainage is an on going issue. some steps have been made to correct this, but the course is often wet,

Tee 13 long has a tree directly in front of it that is not very popular, but it does force a different shot than you would normally take on that line.

Walkers can slow down speed of play at times, but it is rare only a brief pause.
Other Thoughts: Long to long a 55 is about 1000 rating. 50 is around 955, 70 is around 865.

I did not want to review this course due to my involvement in it, but I am writing as a player and hope this does not wreak of bias.

This course is still an infant and some changes are coming in the very near future. But I feel this course can hold it's own with the other great new course, Ditto Farms, and the other top classics.

For food you can go north a few miles for a small plaza that features a few options, or drive 6 miles south into waldorf and have your pick of any time of food you want.

#250

1    4/26/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- My 250th Course. I was extremely happy to have this be my 250th course... not only was the course worthy of filling a milestone in my list of courses, but it was the courses opening day! (random luck)
- Completely Complete on Day 1. WOW... having designed and installed a few courses myself, I found it AMAZING that these guys were able to open the course with 2 sets of beautiful concrete tee-pads on every hole, beautiful tee-signs at every tee-pad, benches, trash cans, next-T signs, trails to the next tee, bridges, a mounded pin placement, and more... Wow!!!
- The Par 4's. Most of the Par 4's were very well done and really fun holes. They definitely added to the championship quality of the course. Holes 8 and 17 especially!
Cons:
- Redundancy. A few of the holes seemed redundant in their distances... being placed in the 340-390' range. The designers did this to create a more championship feel for "pro" caliber players, but in my opinion, that doesn't make it quality design. I feel as though the holes will simply yield a lot of Pars and keep scoring spread to a minimum among the top players.
- Wooded Holes. I didn't think any of the wooded holes were very good (Hole 10, 11, 12 and 13). Coming from NC, the wooded holes here were severely lacking. Hole 11 is way too short and goofy; and, Hole 12 is also too short... especially for a course that wants to be on the upper end of championship courses. And, Hole 13 wants to be a great hole but the placement of the blue tee-pad screwed up a good hole (beautiful trees on that Hole though).
- My Apologies. I think I made some of the course designers upset when they asked me what I thought about the course after the round. I didn't mean to sound harsh by calling some of the holes "contrived" (Hole 10); and if I came off like an ass, I am sorry - please accept my apology. It's just that when I play a course, I compare it to the other 249 courses I have played... and thus, when you ask me what I think about the course--especially one that wants to be a championship course--I am comparing it to Iron Hill, Idlewild and WR Jackson.
- Overall. I was really happy to have this be my 250th course. I was in DC for work and drove the 45 minutes down to play... luckily for me it was the courses opening day! The course definitely has some Championship tendencies, with a few holes that seemed contrived (the woods holes). Some of the holes were seemingly repetitive in terms of distances, such that scoring opportunities were hard to come by (especially in the wind). However, with 2 sets of tees, beautiful tee-signs and all the other amenities you could ask for, this course is excellent.
- My Score: an unimpressive 60 from the Blues

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: jrawk
Did not offend us after your round. Very constructive comments and we thank you for your honesty. If anything was "incomplete" with the course today, it is hole 11. Currently on 11 there is only one basket because we plan/hope to expand the hole beyone the ravine after exploring options to overcome difficult environmental hurdles to do so.
The grand-openning did not feature a "tournament" prefered basket layout, as we needed to diversify the configuration to cater to players of all skill levels. The redundancies i think will be aleviated when configured for tournament play. Thanks again for making this your 250! Hope to see you back again some time.

Well planned course

2-4    4/26/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: Radarx
Pros: You really can't ask for much more in a disc golf course. Adding to what was already mentioned in previous reviews that I agree with,

I thought the layout featured a really good mix of left and right turning holes.
There was enough difference between the two tees to make you change disc & shots on many holes.
Tee signs at both tees is a major plus and something you don't see often at other courses.
Great flow to the course from hole to hole and in & out of the woods.
Course feels secluded although its played around the other park areas.
Cons: Not much really here to con but I will so the club has something to work on!

The hole 6 area has potential drainage issues during wet times.

To get that 5 star rating I feel the course needs to be longer for pro's or at least add some difficult c-pins. I realize I did not play all B pin locations but as a solid amateur playing mixed tees, I thought the course could be longer for pros. I shot 54 from red tee and 58 from blue, if I am doing that pros will tear the course up. You want a course you can grow into not out of. There are many holes I thought had potential for c-pins. My biggest complaint on length is Hole 11 - Not sure if the property allows you to cross over the ravine on hole 11 to add c-pin but that would be a major improvement and also a lot of work. Hole 12 - Up the hill then to the left for a c-pin. 10B could also work for 12C!

Hopefully the spot-o-pot will remain in the parking area and perhaps one placed around hole 9 would be nice but that's really nit picking.

13 blue tee - with the red tee perfectly placed, I thought the blue tee had much more potential located below and behind the red tee. The blue tee seems to be as if your out of bounds and all you can do with it is tee a short mid range hyzer back into the fairway. Down below you have potential to use driver or mid range, take a high risk shot thru the thick trees straight ahead or control midrange hyzer thru or attempt to hit the red tee corridor from a different angle.This hole does contain some beautiful trees so you want to be stairing right at them when you tee from both sets of tees.

Its really hard to complain about anything this course has to offer as is and more attention should be paid to how awesome this course is.
Other Thoughts: The course is so well groomed & just fun to play that it makes you feel guilty your not paying green fees!
The signature hole is probabbly 18 but my vote goes to hole 4. That hole is as good as it gets and favorite over any I have played!
This course is worth traveling to as I did from 1-1/2 hr away, you will not be disappointed!
There is potential to lengthen some holes or for tougher c-pins so down the road there can be room for improvement.
Thanks for all the hard work on this course!

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: jrawk
Thank you for the constructive comments. We do plan to expand hole 11 after we overcome some difficult environmental hurdles. There actually is a porto-jon right behind the left side tree line on hole 9 (facing the football stadium). Hard to see from the fairway. As the course ages we'll identify the best places for extra/alternate basket locations. Thanks again for playing and hope to see you again.

Great new additon to Md disc golf

1    4/26/2014   4/26/2014
Review By: Acid Elvis
Pros: Nicest signage I've seen in a while.
Both tee's have signs
Every other hole has a trash can
Nice tee pads with plenty of space
Benches on holes to rest
Prettiest 18th basket I've seen!
Cons: 13 can be a little risky with your shots. A deep gully on the right hand side is marked OB and is sure to claim it's fair share of discs!
Other Thoughts: I played this course on it's first day and it played great! Very easy to get to via 301 South. Jerry and his crew have made a excellent course in La Plata!