LaPlata, MD
Turkey Hill DGC Share
Uploaded By: jrawk Hole #18 (Taken 8/2014)
3 / 244ft.   3 / 345ft.   3 / 285ft.   3 / 393ft. Par / Distance:
Hole #18 'B' Basket to Tee

1 2 Next >
 The Great Turducken Hill

2-4    9/3/2014   5/7/2014
Review By: sidewinder22
This review was updated on 9/8/2014
Pros: Dual color coded Discatcher baskets with nice red/blue concrete/flypad tees per hole. Practice basket, plentiful benches, trash cans, sweet tee signs and navigational signs make this course great for the first time visitor and is an excellent intro course to an area of Southern MD that has been devoid of any courses and should serve as a model for future professional course construction in the area. Good use of the ponds and the features of the more open holes in general. Nice mix of distances from ace runs to solid par 3 and a few generous par 4s. You get a chance to air out the disc on a few holes and it generally comes with some risk the further you try to go. Other holes will test your accuracy and hitting the line. Really enjoyed holes 3, 4, 6, 8, 15, 16, 17 and, hole 18 was fun to end with over the pond. The park and course was nicely manicured and easy on the eyes. Port-a-potty in the parking lot. Easy to find the course.
Cons: Nothing major that should keep anyone away, overall the course is fantastically playable. These are just some mentionables. The Waldorf Rt 5 / 301 area is prone to heavy DC area traffic. The course plays through some shared areas of the park and there are other park users that dgers need to be aware of and may need to wait for the hole to be clear. The fairways are generous for the most part, but the rough can be tough get into to retrieve discs even if you see it. Moderate chance of losing discs, more-so on the holes that play sneakily near water rather than the ones that play obviously over water. One big loop of 18 holes, bring H2O for the whole round. The only decent elevation on the course is in the woods, but the few holes in woods leave a bit to be desired. The flypads in the woods get slippery. A few of the short baskets get in the way of the long baskets and the short baskets are often much better placements than the longs. A couple of the long baskets really don't add anything to the course. Some of the actual basket placements are different from the tee sign and map. There a number of longish par 3s that are not going to provide much scoring separation or a reason to attempt going for a 2.

Hole 1 from the blue tee to long basket is going to yield a lot of 3s with little variation and basically a NAGS approach. Fenced in Dog park behind the basket, beware of dog poo around the basket. IMO reversing the hole would be better to tee close to the dog park playing away from it rather than throwing toward it. The walk transition from hole 1 to 2 is a little long especially for the first holes of a course.

Hole 2 playing between the practice fields is a bit weird and a little concerning if/when they get used.

Hole 3 plays over walking path and near practice field.

Hole 11 is more like short upshot than drive.

Hole 12 short basket is right in the way of the long basket.

Hole 13's blue tee unfortunately was not put it the correct position, and renders it borderline useless, which could have been a really sweet hole. Also on 13, currently without bridging/steps, getting into and across the creek to retrieve discs is difficult, and anyone using the blue tee will likely end up there unless you go at the wall of trees and hope or throw a layup. Poison ivy on 13 as well.

Hole 17's approach to the baskets is a bit narrow with good chance of losing a disc if it fades out or gets kicked toward the pond. The short basket is right in the way of the long basket.

If I were designing the course I actually would have reversed the entire course. Holes 18 and 4 backwards would make better use of the ponds for more risk vs reward, and many other holes would actually play better reversed IMO. The flow would also be better to start on hole 18 as the weird long transition would be avoided from hole 1 to 2.
Other Thoughts: In the world of great culinary creations, one triumph reigns supreme during the holidays: the Turducken. For those not intimately acquainted with this meat masterpiece, the Turducken consists of a de-boned chicken stuffed inside a de-boned duck stuffed inside a de-boned turkey. Each layer is padded with stuffing. This new beast is then prepared as a traditional turkey would be: roasted, braised, fried, grilled, barbecued, it's up to you. In its glory days, the Turducken was popularized by the great Chef Paul Prudhomme, but no one is exactly sure who invented it. We do know it originated in the specialty meat stores of South-Central Louisiana. There is some evidence that it may have found its American origins in a meal created by the unnamed owner of Corinne Dunbar's, a Creole restaurant in New Orleans.

While its past can be debated it's safe to say that the future of the bird-within-a-bird-within-a-bird is in America. Some chefs have taken the recipe and made it bigger by adding a small pig into the mix - it essentially swallows the Turducken and is then cooked. Others have tamed the monster and made it more elegant. The Quaduckant is the upscale version consisting of a quail stuffed in a duck stuffed in a pheasant. The fowl-based Frankenstein monster may be viewed as a symbol of American decadence, but its history suggests so much more, so eat up and know you're participating in a great tradition.

Speaking of food, I stopped in the Red Oak Bistro for some good beer and food, highly recommend this place! They are sponsors of the first tournament here, so I support those companies that support disc golf. They have a really nice selection of craft beers. I really liked the Schlafly Pale Ale, and the Jailhouse Double IPA. I had the crab tacos and they were delicious! The bartender is also an avid disc golfer so we had a lot to talk about between beer and disc golf!

Much like the Turducken, courses will have variations of the recipe that maybe bigger, longer, and stuffed with other ingredients that some will like better that others. Turkey Hill is stuffed with the all the variety and professional niceties you can ask for and reminds me of a slightly longer Scarboro Hills with less elevation, they are both more geared toward intermediate level players, and do a great job in that regard. I could sense the influence of John Houck in the design as I had some deja vu of Harry Myers in places, but shorter.

That said, I prefer playing more elevation and harder layouts in general. I also prefer playing through more mature wooded areas with a shaded canopy. Turkey Hill reminds me too much of Texas style golf with unshaded open fairways and thick rough to the sides. If I were to rate this course on the professional build and amenities alone I would rate it 4.5, but personally these niceties don't mean much to me in any of my reviews. The design is excellent for beginners to intermediate players to the short baskets and I can understand players of this level giving it a high rating, but IMO the course is lacking for more advanced to pro level players. Turkey Hill also reminds me of New Quarter in Williamsburg which is an excellent course I rated 4.0, but I have a hard time justifying giving Turkey Hill the same rating because it's not quite on the same level, I would give it a 3.75 rating if I could. At any rate I would definitely recommend Turkey Hill to anyone in the area looking for a great course to play, you will enjoy it!

Date: 5/7/2014 Designer Response by: jrawk
I prefer my Turducken deep fried in peanut oil, served with white wine and tarter sauce.

Thanks for the constructive review.

The practice fields are rarely used. The parks department is prepared to modifiy the facility without impacting the disc golf hole if the fields become an issue. Hole 4 and other recovery options will be opened up as we vet and fine tune the course. Hole 1 and 6 drainage is being addressed by the Parks Department. HOle 11 is planned for expansion beyond the ravine in the future. Hole 12A pin is awefully short, i agree. The B is much more diverse. Hole 13 concrete was set slightly out of original position as i understand it was necessary for a proper foundation. From the blue tee the throw is a down hill RHBH left fade shot to run along with the side of the hill, which is not a hard throw to execute. There is more room to navigate the fairway than it appears from the Tee. We will explore adding more signage to deter first time players from intentionally throwing accross the creek.

Possibly Maryland's best course.

1    5/6/2014   5/6/2014
Review By: bluearmy
Pros: Overall, it was a joy to play this course. I really liked the variety of holes: some through the woods, some over water, and some open in fields. All concrete red and blue tee's was also a really nice touch.
Some notes:
Hole 3: Nice scenic basket placement near water.
Hole 4: Blue tee throws over water.
Hole 7: Painted tee box on abandoned road.
Hole 11: Incredibly short hole to the extreme right.
Hole 12: Uphill and short.
Hole 14: Basket on a mound.
Hole 17: Basket A is brutal. Approach is through a narrow, curved path that leads to the basket off of the fairway. Woods on right, water on left.
Hole 18: Two tiered retaining wall "wedding cake" style that the basket is placed on. The water on 18 is very intimidating and hard to clear.
Cons: When I played in early May, there was only one basket on each hole. I am looking forward to having both sets of baskets on each hole.

don't get stuck in cat town

1    4/26/2014   5/1/2014
Review By: oiratno
Pros: -Has a good variety of holes, topography, and cover.
-Uses available land sensibly with other park users with minimal conflict of use.
-excellent park infrastructure and intuitive layout.
Pretty park
Cons: -didn't see any dedicated water/restrooms
-the water carries are interesting, but the final one is fairly aggressive, maybe too much so though there are closer tees that get around them.
-underbrush is thorny which might be a problem as the season progresses
Other Thoughts: The course felt raw, but it is brand new so that is to be expected. This was a worthwhile destination course. Definitely a good add to the area.

Date: 5/30/2014 Designer Response by: prerube
There was a porto potty in the disc golf parking lot on the day you played as well as on holes 3 and 9. Calling a course raw on opening day when there is mulched trails, new signage, manicured fairways makes no sense. The walk up to 14 now has a brand new set of stairs.

#250

1    4/26/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: DSCJNKY
Pros:
- My 250th Course. I was extremely happy to have this be my 250th course... not only was the course worthy of filling a milestone in my list of courses, but it was the courses opening day! (random luck)
- Completely Complete on Day 1. WOW... having designed and installed a few courses myself, I found it AMAZING that these guys were able to open the course with 2 sets of beautiful concrete tee-pads on every hole, beautiful tee-signs at every tee-pad, benches, trash cans, next-T signs, trails to the next tee, bridges, a mounded pin placement, and more... Wow!!!
- The Par 4's. Most of the Par 4's were very well done and really fun holes. They definitely added to the championship quality of the course. Holes 8 and 17 especially!
Cons:
- Redundancy. A few of the holes seemed redundant in their distances... being placed in the 340-390' range. The designers did this to create a more championship feel for "pro" caliber players, but in my opinion, that doesn't make it quality design. I feel as though the holes will simply yield a lot of Pars and keep scoring spread to a minimum among the top players.
- Wooded Holes. I didn't think any of the wooded holes were very good (Hole 10, 11, 12 and 13). Coming from NC, the wooded holes here were severely lacking. Hole 11 is way too short and goofy; and, Hole 12 is also too short... especially for a course that wants to be on the upper end of championship courses. And, Hole 13 wants to be a great hole but the placement of the blue tee-pad screwed up a good hole (beautiful trees on that Hole though).
- My Apologies. I think I made some of the course designers upset when they asked me what I thought about the course after the round. I didn't mean to sound harsh by calling some of the holes "contrived" (Hole 10); and if I came off like an ass, I am sorry - please accept my apology. It's just that when I play a course, I compare it to the other 249 courses I have played... and thus, when you ask me what I think about the course--especially one that wants to be a championship course--I am comparing it to Iron Hill, Idlewild and WR Jackson.
- Overall. I was really happy to have this be my 250th course. I was in DC for work and drove the 45 minutes down to play... luckily for me it was the courses opening day! The course definitely has some Championship tendencies, with a few holes that seemed contrived (the woods holes). Some of the holes were seemingly repetitive in terms of distances, such that scoring opportunities were hard to come by (especially in the wind). However, with 2 sets of tees, beautiful tee-signs and all the other amenities you could ask for, this course is excellent.
- My Score: an unimpressive 60 from the Blues

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: jrawk
Did not offend us after your round. Very constructive comments and we thank you for your honesty. If anything was "incomplete" with the course today, it is hole 11. Currently on 11 there is only one basket because we plan/hope to expand the hole beyone the ravine after exploring options to overcome difficult environmental hurdles to do so.
The grand-openning did not feature a "tournament" prefered basket layout, as we needed to diversify the configuration to cater to players of all skill levels. The redundancies i think will be aleviated when configured for tournament play. Thanks again for making this your 250! Hope to see you back again some time.

Well planned course

2-4    4/26/2014   4/28/2014
Review By: Radarx
Pros: You really can't ask for much more in a disc golf course. Adding to what was already mentioned in previous reviews that I agree with,

I thought the layout featured a really good mix of left and right turning holes.
There was enough difference between the two tees to make you change disc & shots on many holes.
Tee signs at both tees is a major plus and something you don't see often at other courses.
Great flow to the course from hole to hole and in & out of the woods.
Course feels secluded although its played around the other park areas.
Cons: Not much really here to con but I will so the club has something to work on!

The hole 6 area has potential drainage issues during wet times.

To get that 5 star rating I feel the course needs to be longer for pro's or at least add some difficult c-pins. I realize I did not play all B pin locations but as a solid amateur playing mixed tees, I thought the course could be longer for pros. I shot 54 from red tee and 58 from blue, if I am doing that pros will tear the course up. You want a course you can grow into not out of. There are many holes I thought had potential for c-pins. My biggest complaint on length is Hole 11 - Not sure if the property allows you to cross over the ravine on hole 11 to add c-pin but that would be a major improvement and also a lot of work. Hole 12 - Up the hill then to the left for a c-pin. 10B could also work for 12C!

Hopefully the spot-o-pot will remain in the parking area and perhaps one placed around hole 9 would be nice but that's really nit picking.

13 blue tee - with the red tee perfectly placed, I thought the blue tee had much more potential located below and behind the red tee. The blue tee seems to be as if your out of bounds and all you can do with it is tee a short mid range hyzer back into the fairway. Down below you have potential to use driver or mid range, take a high risk shot thru the thick trees straight ahead or control midrange hyzer thru or attempt to hit the red tee corridor from a different angle.This hole does contain some beautiful trees so you want to be stairing right at them when you tee from both sets of tees.

Its really hard to complain about anything this course has to offer as is and more attention should be paid to how awesome this course is.
Other Thoughts: The course is so well groomed & just fun to play that it makes you feel guilty your not paying green fees!
The signature hole is probabbly 18 but my vote goes to hole 4. That hole is as good as it gets and favorite over any I have played!
This course is worth traveling to as I did from 1-1/2 hr away, you will not be disappointed!
There is potential to lengthen some holes or for tougher c-pins so down the road there can be room for improvement.
Thanks for all the hard work on this course!

Date: 4/28/2014 Designer Response by: jrawk
Thank you for the constructive comments. We do plan to expand hole 11 after we overcome some difficult environmental hurdles. There actually is a porto-jon right behind the left side tree line on hole 9 (facing the football stadium). Hard to see from the fairway. As the course ages we'll identify the best places for extra/alternate basket locations. Thanks again for playing and hope to see you again.

Excellent New Course

1    4/26/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: Crooow
Pros: Two full size cement tee pads on every hole (except one shared pad). Parking lot at hole 1 and large beautiful course layout diagram. Tee signs at both pads with distances and both pin locations shown (only one pin location used at a time). Nice directional signs to lead you from hole to hole. Nice variety of holes (see below): open, wooded, uphill, downhill, water throws. Great local club (SOMD - Southern Maryland Disc Golf) and good support by the park system. Friendly people; beautiful park; lots of parking; easy access off Route 301; plenty of food choices nearby; athletic fields and dog park; right next to Fun Haven Golf with batting cages and mini-golf; dog-friendly park; benches at every hole (I think); plenty of rest rooms. Practice basket next to parking.
Cons: Not much. Course didn't drain well after rainstorm. Could use bag hooks as a future enhancement. No indicator of which pin location was in use although in most cases you can see the basket from the tee. Only a couple of truly challenging holes - they all play fair but some people want every hole to be hard. The water will intimidate some beginners (even with the bailouts).
Other Thoughts: Course begins with some open relatively easy holes and then you get to the first water throw on 4 which isn't that scary (unless you are new to DG). You start getting more trees at that point as you wind around the border of the park and the fun picks up. #11 is a short downhill with a big curve (from the longs i.e. Blue tees). #12 follows with a short but steep uphill. Then came #13 which features a big left turn on a hillside through a gauntlet - a very nice hole. #14 (I think) features a basket on a mound which adds more fun. You finish with a longer throw over water to a very scenic elevated basket in a double ring of stone.(see the photos on this site).
The course is a lot of fun and worth the drive. I only played the course once (from the Blues) but the Reds look fun for inexperienced players and do give a different look to many of the holes. I wish I could remember details about the other holes but overall it was fun. I expect to be back.

What a course should be

2-4    4/26/2014   4/27/2014
Review By: FredVegasDGC
Pros: The short course is fun and challenging. The long course is tough for advanced & should challenge pros. Good mix of open & wooded holes. Multiple pin placements, Uphill & downhill shots. Water plays on several holes. The amenities for this course are professionally done, Full Sized concrete tees, professional tee signs on long & short tees. well built benches & bridges, trash cans through the course. A few wooded holes that tee is on a slope the tees were built and leveled very nicely.
Cons: The only con was it rained heavily the night before and there were some boggy wet fairway spots. But it was not a big deal.
Other Thoughts: I realize some will scoff at my 5 star rating. But from a regular player's perspective this is the kind of course you will enjoy playing. This course is a great example what can be possible when you get full participation from county parks & rec. Turkey Hill is the most professionally built course I have played. It was well thought out and you can easily see there was a lot of time, work & materials put in to the building of this course.
Usually new courses need a "Breaking In" period to get trails and walkway worn in but this course was ready to go.

Great new additon to Md disc golf

1    4/26/2014   4/26/2014
Review By: Acid Elvis
Pros: Nicest signage I've seen in a while.
Both tee's have signs
Every other hole has a trash can
Nice tee pads with plenty of space
Benches on holes to rest
Prettiest 18th basket I've seen!
Cons: 13 can be a little risky with your shots. A deep gully on the right hand side is marked OB and is sure to claim it's fair share of discs!
Other Thoughts: I played this course on it's first day and it played great! Very easy to get to via 301 South. Jerry and his crew have made a excellent course in La Plata!

1 2 Next >