Rochester, NY
Ellison Park Share
Uploaded By: timg Hole #4 (Taken 6/2014)

Feels the same, just tweeked

1    7/22/2014   7/22/2014
Review By: prerube
Pros: The flow has improved, still has all of the pros that the old lay out had; elevation, good mix of open and wooded, decent mix of distances, and facilities on site.
Cons: The signs were just moved, never changed. For example the sign for hole 7 shows the picture of the old hole 7, so you can step up to the pad and see 260 as the distance when the basket is 410 away.
Poison Ivy and dog poo still rule the course. some patches of snake filled grass provide fun for the kiddies, but can eat your discs.
Your discs will fear getting tetanus from the old baskets and avoid staying inside them.
Other Thoughts: Ellison needed this change, but the change is not a cure all, there is obviously more room for improvement.
Fixed signage is the first step.
The Pizzeria still sells discs. They had a nice variety of Prodigy, Innova, and Discraft as well as some Vibram.

Ellison has a new groove

5+    6/16/2014   6/16/2014
Review By: rb106098
Pros: - The overall flow of the course, with the new layout, has been improved. (Just moving hole #1 helped)
- The elevation climbs are much more efficient than the previous layout, leaving less distance from previous basket to the next tee pad. I think this really helps new players to transition quickly
- The additional wooded shot adds a little more variety to shot approach
- The flow of the back 9 holes are especially great way to end a round.
- Although some holes can be challenging to a newbie, this is still a new player friendly course (Just make sure to follow DG etiquette)
Cons: - Signs' distances and layouts currently don't match. This may confuse new players to the course.
- Most holes still seem pretty much straight shots
- The overall challenge level has seemed to decreased a bit with the new layout
Other Thoughts: At first I was a bit hesitant to like the change, but I would have to say that, all in all I believe the layout change is an improvement.

Sure some people will miss a couple signature holes, but in reality the right signature holes still remain. Bombing a drive down the fairway of #12 is still a highlight of my round, at times it is the only reason I want to play hole #11 :-)

Elevation is what makes Ellison a great course to me, and I'm glad to see the hill being used more efficiently and wisely.

R.I.P. (old) hole #16. You'll be missed but not forgotten.

Elevation much?

2-4    6/15/2014   6/15/2014
Review By: Timeetyo
Pros: - Great use of elevation. Wow. There are some painful (in a good way) uphill holes paired with a few nice downhill shots and one great top of the world toss. Just amazing watching a disc fly that far and it felt great. Even the relatively flat holes seem to have some sneaky elevation either up/down or across that make you wonder why you came up short...or overshot the hole....until you walk to it and realize there was more elevation to it than you thought. Definitely kept me on my toes.
- Park is very well maintained & mowed.
- bathrooms on site
- rubber fly pads for tees
- Minimal chance of lost discs
- Good mix of lightly wooded holes throughout. Even better is that most low branches / brush are removed meaning that even if you are offline and take a bad tree kick you aren't searching forever and the recovery shot almost always has a line.
- The course was easy enough to navigate although this was greatly aided by a full course so I could follow the flow. Course flowed very well throughout.
- There are not a lot of easy birdies, but even the more difficult holes still felt very fair.
Cons: - Hopefully only temporary, but many of the tee signs are still showing old hole info. It definitely confused me when I see a tee sign for a 180' hole and there is no basket in sight...only to see the group ahead of me throwing a second full drive on what was a long par 4.
- There are many holes with fairways that are too close together for my comfort. This is especially the case with long downhill throws where the margin for error is amplified. It was quite busy when I played and through 1 round I had 4 discs come too close for comfort. I also had quite a few where I felt the need to wait because the people on the next/prior tee were closer to my fairway than I was comfortable throwing.
- Elevation - it is a workout. I was ok with it, but my wife/son who only play casually headed back to the car after the trek up the hill on hole 11.
- only 1 set of tees - more is always better. ;)
- Mid day on a weekend the park was packed with DG'ers. A group at almost every tee.
Other Thoughts: I had a great time at this course and can't wait to go back and get a few more throws on #12. If it weren't so busy I'd have probably emptied my bag there. I normally max out at 250 on a good throw and ended up ~475 with the help of the hill. Just felt great. It was also fun to watch my son (9) throw a ~250 downhill shot, he was so excited as well. I was very close to giving this a 4 and would have if not for the constant fear of errant discs coming my way. I just wish there was a way to spread out some of the fairways more.

New layout - Old course

1    5/3/2014   5/3/2014
Review By: hisson
Pros: Enjoyable mix of wooded and open holes.
Great use of elevation on several holes.
Good mix of short and long holes.
Cons: Two holes that were highlights ( 16 down the hill and across the field, and 8 hyzer to a blind basket ) are gone.
The new layout allows for drives across tees.

Great Redesign

1    5/3/2014   5/3/2014
Review By: lcra0825
Pros: - bathrooms on sight
- rubber fly pads
- healthy amount of elevation
- There are signs with distance and pars, however I don't know if they are all updated for the redesign, but if they aren't I am sure that will come soon
- More wooded holes than last design to give more of a mix between wooded and open (still mostly open though)
- A good mix of short to far distances. It doesn't seem overly challenging or too easy (at least for me)
- Lots of other things to do in the park besides play disc golf (However the disc golf course is mainly disc golfers with a dog walkers)
- There is a good flow to the course and there aren't any huge walks in between each hole. I would say the course is pretty easy to navigate, but always bring a map just in case
Cons: - It would probably be pretty busy with disc golfers and other people after 10 am on the weekends. I play early so that's usually not a problem
- Some of the holes are facing each other so you might have to weight until a group is done with some of the holes before you start or risk getting hit with discs
Other Thoughts: I think the best part of the redesign was that the hilly holes are separated from each other so that you aren't exhausted after going up and down hill several times on the front nine. I also like the addition of some more wooded holes. The designers were able to keep most of my favorite holes except for hole 15 which the county told couldn't be used anymore. I liked the course before, but I feel there is more variety of hole design in the remake or at least the holes that were similar to each other are spread out throughout the course. Overall I am very pleased with the redesign.