4 Helpful / 2 Not
Accuracy rewarded here...
Pros: This course has a good mix of short and long holes. I would say that there are definitely par 3's, 4's and 5's on this course. Probably one of the toughest holes in the state is on this course(Hole 11). There are restrooms on the premises as this is a state park. There are also drinking fountains available. There is water that comes into play on a handful of holes.
Cons: Like many others have stated, poison ivy can be a problem between late May and early October. This really is the only drawback to this course
Other Thoughts: I highly recommend playing this course early in the season or later in the season. The course is probably the best winter course around.
4 of 6 people found this review helpful.
4 Helpful / 1 Not
Should be a 5 star if not for the rough
Pros: - CHALLENGING!!! Especially the Worlds layout.
- Long tight fairways
- Great cement teepads
- Good tee signs
- Easy to follow
- Just like a ball golf course; holes 1 and 10 start and holes 9 and 18 end by the parking lot. Allows for restocking supplies or squeezing in a tough 9.
- Fairways are well manicured
- The last several holes are a little less hard and give you a prayer if you had a hard time on some holes.
- Accurate everything is required. Sometimes better to shorter with better placement.
- Some fun activities on the lake right near. Jump in for a swim after a good round.
- Garbage cans/ bathrooms are plentiful.
- Scenic holes
Cons: -Poison sumac and ivy are a huge deal. Any shot off the fairway and your in it and a hole bunch of other heavy rough.
- The rough is excessively punishing and difficult to find discs.
- Spotters should be used
- No local store within a short distance to get drinks/food from. Bring it with you.
Other Thoughts: This course has all the qualities of a 5 star course except for the overly punishing rough. I like a tough- rough (that sounds really dumb) but not one were you have to search for your disc 9 outta 10 times.
When I went to Iowa State I would commonly only come to Big Creek when I was looking to "test" myself and see were my progress was. I really wish I had a better developed roller at the time, would've been a huge stroke saver.
If your in the Des Moines area...haha...and you have time to play a few courses then put this on your list. Walnut is close by so you should hit up that one too.
4 of 5 people found this review helpful.
Join Disc Golf Course Review
for free to add your review. Have an account already? Sign In
to add a review.