Houston, TX
Agnes Moffitt Park Share
Uploaded By: ERicJ Hole #15 (Taken 1/2009)
Hole #15 Red Tee

Like an old friend

5+    10/1/2009   10/9/2009
Review By: Miller
Pros: It has a number of nice features. The baskets are yellow and easy to see. There are some trees, but everything has a pretty good line to the basket. Every hole is a reasonable distance which makes it a great place to take beginners to learn how to play. It will challenge people who are getting started and be an enjoyable round for those that have played for a while. There are lots of birdie and ace chances with only a small chance of losing discs.

The course gets a LOT of traffic so you can always find someone to play with (but can also be very crowded sometimes). It has a pretty strong league going on Thursday nights.
Cons: The teeboxes are horrible. One day maybe the parks and rec gods will drop concrete on this course and it would be a huge upgrade. Until then just try to find a safe spot to throw from. There is little risk/reward. Even if you make a bad throw you can recover pretty easily (although this might be a pro for some people).

It can also be VERY bad after a big rain as the course holds a lot of water.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for a fun round of disc golf. I use to play this course a lot when I was learning and recently haven't played it as much. I played it again last week for the first time in like 7 months and it was like getting together with an old friend. Very comfortable and easy.

Fun Times

2-4    9/5/2009   9/30/2009
Review By: allen
Pros: Fun course, big, open spaces. Lots of trees that make for challenging shots, especially around the baskets.
Cons: Lots of foot traffic, there seems to always be quite a few people out there (although I do go when the weather is nice and usually a Sunday or Saturday) but still...
Other Thoughts: Definitely worth a play!

A Solid 18 Holes

5+    7/7/2009   9/29/2009
Review By: Adam281
Pros: 18 holes with some good challenges. Nice tee posts and a decent course flow. Not too hard, so you feel like an accomplished player after a round at Agnes Moffitt : )
Cons: Be careful after recent rain. The course can easily hold lots of water, even after several days. Depending on the last upkeep, the tee boxes can be awful- more like uneven trenches. This can easily throw off your drive.
Other Thoughts: Like many other Houston area courses, bring your mosquito spray!

The Best on the West

5+    6/6/2009   6/10/2009
Review By: SpringDgLover
Pros: This course is a west Houston staple and is probably one the areas most played courses. On any given day one is bound to find at least 10 people playing this course. It has a good variety of holes for righties and lefties and alternate tee positions that actually provide different angles of attack, creating basically two courses in one. The park for the most part is well kept although you will catch the occasional bum sleeping by a teebox from time to time. There are a few little spots to sit but some of the picnic tables that were in the park have now been removed. Pretty much anyone can play this course with the longest hole being maybe 400 feet.
Cons: The worst and I mean the worst teeboxes I have ever played. Maybe I'm a little biased since I've seen more then one friend sprain an ankle or pull a hammy there. But seriously the city of Houston needs to do something about them. If your playing the course play from behind or to the side of them, just don't risk it. There can be, at times, the element of pot smokers at this park and even though it is a somewhat accepted part of playing DG, to some, like myself it can be a little annoying at times. Just be aware.
Other Thoughts: This course to me could be so much better if it had good tees, possibly even a four, considering it is actually two courses in one. But without them it really drags this course down IMO. That being said I play this course a lot and I still love old Agnes, I don't think I've ever had a bad time there and for the west side its the only 18 hole show around.

B = Be a little too open and a little too bland

2-4    9/13/2007   6/7/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward. Fair, but harsh punishment for bad decisions or execution. == C-
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities for me. I throw 300' accurately, 360' max. == B+
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography == B
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion. == C
5) Bonus points for multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them. == N/A

18 holes tightly packed.

2-4    5/3/2009   6/2/2009
Review By: ChrisMacG
Pros: I now work in this area so I'm out playing this course more often now. Moffitt is a decent 18 hole course that makes good use of the park's trees and landscaping. It is the tightest 18 hole course I've played and that makes it challenging.
Cons: The baskets are often too close together so if your drives aren't straight you will end up on another fairway or green. I've heard 600 people play this course a week and I can believe it. Often this course is packed with people after work and you're either rushed by the people behind you or waiting on the group in front. Plus, with that much traffic,, the grass is non-existent on many fairways and the Tee boxes can be downright dangerous.

On hoo-boy this course is flat.
Other Thoughts: This course needs some TLC from the city. It needs new Tee boxes and better signage.

Low Traffic Course

1    4/5/2009   4/5/2009
Review By: dgdoctor
Pros: I played the course at 5:00pm on a Saturday and it was not very busy at all. The baskets are all out in the open and open fairways allow you just to grip and rip on drives. Some of the advanced tee boxes force you to take an accurate shot through narrow lanes. The "A" box at 16 also provide a cool high hyzer shot over fairly tall trees. The "A" boxes are marked with a BROWN post sticking out of the ground and "B" boxes are marked with a green post sticking out of the ground. A good mix of short (<300 ) and long (300 +) holes, but nothing over 400.
Cons: The "A" box and "B" box colors of 11 are the opposite colors from the rest of the course. The "A" box for 17 is back in the woods and can be found if you follow the small foot path directly behind the "B" box. In middle section of the course (holes 7-14) there are a lot of parallel fairways that may create a lot of opportunities to hit people for those of us who are less accurate with our throws.
Other Thoughts: Overall a good course for anyone who likes playing the game.

Play this course if you play Houston

2-4    3/11/2009   3/12/2009
Review By: texas80
Pros: Wide open spaces making it almost impossible to lose a disc. Two distinct tee boxes for 17 of the holes. I couldn't locate one of the advanced tees. Not terribly difficult for the majority of the holes. The main obstacle for most is a tree or 4 to throw around. I like the few holes where you throw out from the tree line. 16 I think is pretty cool since you have a really narrow window to throw through a stand of trees. The other tee box has you throwing around it. At times there are a few baskets visible from the box, however the one with the number visible is the target. I liked that feature. Definitely worth playing.
Cons: Flat, hot and humid in the summer with little shade available. You may have to fight for parking on weekends, considering the Bball court nearby. People wander around the course. I almost tagged some guy talking on his cell phone, that was oblivious to his surroundings. The course holds water after a rainstorm. Bring a towel!
Other Thoughts: This course is a staple for the Houston disc golf scene. Play it at least once!

Wide open fun.

5+    4/26/2009   1/26/2009
Review By: srm_520
This review was updated on 3/30/2010
Pros: Good flat course that is open and great for bringing out first time golfers. The alternate tees provide some extra distance and challenge to holes like 9 that was an easy birdie to solid par. My scores have ranged from 5-6 under on the regular tees to 6-8 over on the alternates, so the challenge variation is nice.

This is a type of course you want to play when you want to work on your techniques without sacrificing your discs.

Parking is good, and the amount of cars can be deceptive since there is a heavily used BB court.

There is a practice hole and the course baskets are DisCatcher, which make it easier to spot for a first timer.

BEST HOLE/S: #15; #16
Cons: No real O.B. like water, and absolutely no elevation changes, but the biggest gripe is that the tee boxes are horrible. We play the alternates or the grass behind the box mostly just to not have to deal with the dirt divots. After a heavy rain the course retains a lot of water for a good week or more.

On a high wind day (usually winter time), the front 9 sucks, but the back is fairly sheltered. A first time golfer might get confused by the layout, (really if they play alternates - pay attention to hole 4), but there is a map on one.

WORST HOLE/S: #3
Other Thoughts: This course is like comfort food. I really had my start on it and come back to time and time again when I want to work on my shot, change a disc, or haven't played for a while. With concrete boxes it would be fantastic.

There is a school being built behind the front nine, so sometimes it'll carry the dust.

Solid 18(36 w/ alts) Hole Course

1    12/1/2008   12/2/2008
Review By: djxionic
Pros: Good and solid course. 18 holes of fronts (Green) and backs (Red). All tees have markers w/ distance. Information board near practice tee and hole 1. Varied skill shots required (severe hyzer, backhand, finesse, etc.) Has numerous benches and trashcans on course. Good parking lot with gas station located across street. Surrounded by tall pine trees on three sides-helps dissipate those strong Houston winds. Trees and obstacles well maintained by Parks Department. Baskets are in ok shape with varying heights.
Cons: Tee boxes need work. Looks look they were fixed with gravel a while ago but has dissipated since. Course is included in Public Park with playground, pool and basketball court. Weekenders trash park and don't pick up after themselves. Watch out for people walking their dogs. I have a dog chase after and take a disc (happened twice) Part of the back nine backs up to Beltway 8/Sam Houston Toll road and can get a little loud.
Other Thoughts: Overall, a good course to play on a sunny afternoon. (Watch tee shot on 18 with a strong head wind---Good luck!!!) Make sure your car is locked and no valuables left in plain view. Heard about break ins happening in the parking lot.