Lufkin, TX

Pros: - Concrete tee Pads
- Well kept park
- Challenging Pin locations
- Great Signage
- Awesome Signature Shot over the Pond !!!
- well groomed fairways
- excellent club (Lufkin Launchers)
- would recommend to anyone, this course is A++
Cons: -after playin this course regularly it is shaping into a GREAT course. My previous cons have been eliminated as all hole have a nice flow from pin to next tee and bathrooms were by hole 1 all along.
Other Thoughts: This course is challenging yet offers great risk/reward balance. Tee signs do a great job of showing where each basket sits. a basket tine is painted pointing in the direction of the next tee on all baskets .Like any course, it can be confusing and difficult to navigate the course on one's first visit. I have now played this course a dozen times as well as playing the annual Tourny and I am impressed at how well this course is designed. The Holes offer a great variety of BH anny and hyser shots and FH shots. If you are looking for a fun and challenging 18 holes then dont hesitate to try out this course. This course is my new favorite for sure.

Love it

1    11/29/2014   11/29/2014
Review By: chalos13
Pros: This is a perfect example of a club/park making the most of the park they have. Some of my favorite holes are the holes cleared into the brush (2 3 4).
They actually made decent sized fairways instead of just super narrow paths. Many baskets cannot be seen from the tee, which I consider a good thing. Of course it's tough your first time out, but I think it's a great way to design a hole. Open fairway, guarded basket.
Cons: Yes, the signs are misleading or wrong in some places. There are a couple holes that drainage is an issue, some serious mud.
You really should just go to an event or get someone to guide you.
Other Thoughts: This course reminds me a lot of Cain Park in Athens, which is one of my favorites. I think they really maximized their potential at this park. I'm looking forward to getting back out there.
Stay out of the underbrush, it's crazy thick here

Disappointed

1    8/7/2014   8/7/2014
Review By: dagger1504
Pros: --nice concrete tees
--Signs/maps for every hole
--Very challenging
Cons: --Signs are inaccurate, or at least I think they are. They say every hole is a par 3ůsome of the longest par 3 holes I have ever played, almost impossible. Holes range from 200-550ft and all are par 3.
--Some of the signs don't even point in the direction of the tee. Not a huge deal, just a little annoying.
--A majority of the baskets are not visible from the tee. This is challenging but annoying hole after hole. Most of the time you just throw in a direction and just hope it is where the basket may be.
--The course does not flow very well. There is a bit of distance between each basket and each hole. There are a couple of holes that require you to walk back to where you just teed off for another hole.
--The grass is really high for a majority of the course and I have a feeling that parts of the course that are not near baseball fields will rarely get mowed; I could be wrong.
--Baskets that are in trees are surrounded by bushes and weeds. They may have left this as some sort of challenge but it does not look good.
--This is a fairly new course and yet the numbers on the baskets are already faded to where you can't even read them. Also, I am pretty sure a couple are mislabeled.
Other Thoughts: I was looking forward to playing this course. I have played the 9-hole course at Kiwanas for a while and hearing there is finally an 18 hole course got me excited. However, playing it for the first time I was really disappointed. It just wasn't really that fun to play. Yes, it was challenging but that does not make up for the fact that you have to trudge through lots of tall grass to get to the next tee, that is if you can even find the next tee. Maybe I came on a bad day and maybe they will keep it cleaner in the future but I was really disappointed.

Lufkins First 18 Hole Course

2-4    5/3/2014   5/13/2014
Review By: jsc430
Pros: First off, a big THANK YOU to everyone who had a hand in getting this course put in. Lufkin desperately needed an 18 hole course and they delivered in a big way. Leadership Lufkin put in huge resources, as did the city of Lufkin, and the Lufkin Launchers put in hours and hours to build this great course.

Its cliche, but this course is complete. I'd like to see a little more elevation but it really has everything. Open, wooded, short, long, uphill, downhill, par 4s and one par 5. There are three Pars 4s that require two well placed drives/approaches to get to the green, they're not just long bombs. Hole 8 is a long and open par 5 850ft(very fair) and 9 is a signature hole over the water 90% of the way - Par 3 280ft. And this course is beautiful. Although its in a multi use park with all the amenities, theres little to interfere with the course. And once you get to hole 7, you'll be out there, all by yourself. There's a great deck area overlooking the pond on 9 for a gallery or tourney HQs. This course is fair, bottom line. Adv players should be challenged to shoot under par, but rec players should enjoy themselves even with the extra strokes.
Cons: The most obvious con is that the tee signs are completely inaccurate. But my understanding is that will be fixed asap, so hopefully by summer time they will be correct. I would like to see a drop zone on 17. The rough there eats discs on all sides of the pin except behind it. Theres some standing water about 40-50ft in front of the pin on 18. Supposedly its a few feet deep but I'm guessing by summer it will be dry. It was played as OB in the opening tourney, I'd like to see it played as casual. Also, the approach on 7 needs to be cleaned up a little. The course is growing, give it time. What also growing is poison ivy/oak so watch out for that.

Other Thoughts: IMO this course is as good or better than anything in East Texas, not including Selah or Dagwood. I played Lake Nac before playing Morris Frank(both for the first time) and the lake was overgrown while Frank was cleared with fresh cut lines. Some may say Hole 4 is gimmicky but I really liked its uniqueness. A big skip OS skip around the right for RHBH or a sky hyzer over the top. As this course is played more and more the lines will clear and play will improve. This course is cart friendly. Overall I really really liked Morris Frank. Once they make their final cuts and tee signs are fixed I'll bump it to a 4.5. With Morris Frank, Nac's courses, Lindsey Park, and Selah, East Texas is begging you to make a road trip to play some of the states best courses.

Morris Frank - great local course

1    5/4/2014   5/9/2014
Review By: Choade
Pros: Great location, Amazing tee boxes, great hidden baskets for challenging players
Cons: All holes are par 3 which is usually fine except you go from a 240 ft par 3 into a 720 ft par 3(approximate distances). Uhhhhhh, I'm confused. Wouldn't it be better to offer more par 2 and par 4 holes in this instance. Just my thoughts.