Millington, MI
Arthur Latham Park Share
Uploaded By: apdrvya Hole #5 (Taken 5/2014)

Great Start

1    5/29/2014   5/30/2014
Review By: kw83028
Pros: -One of the better 9 hole courses that I've played
-Great use of the terrain
-Teepads - some concrete, dirt, wood chip, but all in great repair
-Baskets - New DGA powder coated blaze orange
-Lots of risk vs. reward
-A nice stream comes into play on a couple holes, and those holes were laid out very well
-Very easy navigation through the woods with next tee arrows everywhere
-Bathrooms on site at the beginning of the course
-Very nice looking park
Cons: -A few holes were extremely swampy and you will get your feet wet (see Other Thoughts)
-A couple holes had really tight shots that I thought could use a few less trees
-I think some of the distances on the teesigns are quite a bit off
-Bugs!!!!
-Multi-use trails, but I kind of doubt that you'd run into many people out there.
Other Thoughts: We got to meet one of the caretakers of the course. She let us know that they were going to be bringing in a lot of dirt and wood chips to fill in the swampy areas. Until then, make sure you bring your waterproof boots, because you have no choice but to walk through swampy areas! She also let us know that they plan on making another 9 holes.

This really was one of the better 9 hole courses that I have played. The holes were well planned, and used the features of the landscape very well. I really liked the basket placement on #2, as it sits up on a bluff. The use of the stream was excellent. Once they fill in the swampy areas, I would have absolutely no problem making the drive there again.

swamped but pretty solid

1    5/29/2014   5/29/2014
Review By: apdrvya
Pros: Aesthetic-- plays through hiking/fitness trails in a large(ish) multi-use park. Guessing by the size of the village it's in, the hiking trails aren't overly used so I doubt running into people is a huge issue. Besides, this is pretty backwoodsy, blaze orange is standard issue.

Teepads-- mixed. some cement, some woodchips, some dirt. all in good shape, no ruts or unevenness...

Teesignage-- very basic with the hole # and length. Some of the lengths seemed to be either grossly exaggerated or underestimated.

Challenge-- This wood is thick. There is a LOT of water in play and the lines are tight. I felt that the risk v reward here was OUTSTANDING.

Use of natural features-- hole 2, 4, and 5 were amazing. 2 plays through a small meadow and up to the top of a small bluff. Hole 4 plays what you think is a short run, but 50 feet off the pad is a river, completely not visible from the tee. Hole 5 plays down a stretch of the same river and over a ridge. freaking sweet.

Baskets-- Orange powdercoated DGA's. Awesomely visible in the thick woods.

Routing and navigation-- easy, next hole arrows make this course a snap to follow.

Upkeep-- We pulled up at the same time as a "caretaker" and she let us know that there were major plans to add another 9 to round out the 18. plans to bring in a ton of woodchips and dirt to help with the swampy areas. She was actively raking (and kinda following us) as we played the first few holes.
Cons: Uncontrollables-- for now, the course is on very low land and therefore swampy. This is not a major cause for concern. Of more concern is the mosquitoes... which also wear blaze orange and all have CCW's.

Amenities-- also something I'm sure will come. Benches and garbage cans would be nice.

Other Thoughts: Really minor complaints on this course. Overall, very very impressed with the work done so far.