Lenexa, KS
Lenexa DGC Share
Uploaded By: phantom51 Hole #7 (Taken 6/2014)
3 / 164ft.   -- / --   -- / --   -- / -- Par / Distance:

Good for putting practice

2-4    7/12/2014   7/13/2014
Review By: tfrank
Pros: Very Clean
New Baskets
New concrete pads
Good use of small area
Cons: Very short
9 holes
Last hole is boggy (I think the pool has a leak)
Other Thoughts: This is a great course for working on your upshots and putting. Most holes are in the 120-180 range. There is good use of elevation and trees. It is kind of like playing waterworks after your drive.

Accomplishes its Purposes

5+    7/1/2014   7/1/2014
Review By: jayhawker737
Pros: Great course to take beginners, your kids, or your lady friends. They will enjoy the shortness of the course, while still being impressed with how fun playing disc golf is.

For those of us with a little bit of experience, this is a great course to work on your up-shot game. I wouldn't call this a mid-range game course, with the exception of 2 holes. This is a great place to bring your up-shot putter and try to park each hole.

Very scenic park with rolling hills and trees. This is a type of park I would want my kids to grow up by.

Just a fun course to play, even with 5 years of experience.
Cons: If you are looking for a place to throw shots over 200 feet, this isn't for you. You need to know what you are getting into.

There are several times where you must throw over a walking path, so make sure to look for walkers before you throw.

Navigation is okay, but you need to know that you must cross over the bridge to get from hole 3 to hole 4 and from hole 6 to hole 7. When going from 8 to 9, you must walk up the hill and turn left.

Hole 9 is on the slope where a ton of pool water runs off, so the slope is constantly soaked and kind of smells.
Other Thoughts: I go out of my way to play this course in order to work on up-shots. Its also fun to play and try to shoot a -9 or get an ace.

If you know what you are getting into, you'll have a great time at this course.

Perfect Short Game Work

5+    6/26/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: constantlyej
Pros: It is one of the best courses to work on those difficult mid-range shots- 150 ft to about 200 ft where you must put yourself close on a full length course.

It is beautiful, and it is very easy to navigate and play quickly. It has some fairly challenging up-shots (off the tee box). But for what it is, it is outstanding and very very clean.
Cons: By no means is this a full length course. It is not an extremely difficult course. It is not a tournament course.

Because it is such a small course, there are a few places where you could find yourself in a positions where a little bit too much power on a drive (even with a putter) could cause a "four"-call if you are surrounded by groups.
Other Thoughts: If you have 30 minutes, it's all you need to get 9 holes in. Overall, it is just a great course to work on your short-game.

For what it is, it is perfect to help improving aspects of your game. I love this little guy.

Easy, Short Distance Course!

1    6/23/2014   6/26/2014
Review By: CheerHannah
Pros: Awesome course for Beginners! I am a beginner and I loved it! Perfect course for my skill level and throw distance is perfect!
Cons: The course is uphill and downhill. Hole 2 and 3 are downhill, and 9 is uphill.
Other Thoughts: I went to this course with my mom and dad. My mom is about at the same skill level as me, and she had a blast too! So I loved this course and hope to visit again!

Decent Beginner/Junior Course

2-4    6/19/2014   6/23/2014
Review By: bigreddog
Pros: Navigation on the holes is very easy, every basket can be seen from the tee. 10/10

Navigation between holes is also easy. Between 3 and 4 and between 8 and 9 are the only kind of tricky spots but there is a map at the start. 9/10

Baskets are nice new DISCatchers, tee pads are short, but this isn't a big deal due to the length of the holes. 8/10

This course does a good job of using the obstacles that are available on the land. 4, 6, and 9 do a good job of this but it would be nice if a few more holes had some trees in the fairways to tighten up the lines. 8/10 use of obstacles

Course is very well mowed and is in great shape for a new course. Tee signs present. Still rough around the edges with lots of poison ivy that is very in play. 7/10 on maintenance.

Lots of shade, a bench present, and a water fountain near the start. However, lots of poison ivy and thick woods knocks comfort down to a 6/10

Only a few holes require a decision on what shot path to throw (4, 5, and 9), but the length introduces risk reward (go for the ace or play it safe for an easy 2?) Decisionmaking required: 6/10
Cons: Not only is this course EXTREMELY short, but there is not much variety from hole to hole, even with the alternate tee positions. 7 and 8 are a little longer than the rest but overall variety of distances is 2/10.

Holes 2 and 3 are downhill, 9 is a little uphill, but the rest are almost completely flat. They didn't have a ton to work with but I felt like they could have done more than they did. 3/10

Not much variety on the shot paths on this course. 3 (and 8 when long) forces a hyzer shot, 9 forces an anhyzer, and 4 encourages one or the other, but on the other six holes straight and simple works perfectly. 3/10

Definitely a beginner only course unless you're just looking for some upshot practice. 3/10 on challenging all levels

Despite how open the course appears, discs are pretty hard to find. Going a little long on a few holes (5, 6, 8) can put you in some thick woods woods and the brush on 2, 7, and 8 can be brutal. 4/10

There are 2 possible positions on each hole, which is nice, but the alternates don't really change the holes much except for 30ft of distance. 4/10

Variety in openness is okay. 7 of the 9 holes don't really have any trees in the way until you get within 30ft of the basket. (4 and 6 are exceptions) 4/10
Other Thoughts: This course was on the border for me between a 2 and a 2.5, with a 2.22 on my spreadsheet (go to my profile if you're curious). To me, this course could move up to a 2.5 if they cut down some of the brush with weed-whackers to make discs easier to find and eliminate some poison ivy.

1/10 difficulty, One of the easiest courses I've ever played. Good for introducing new players to the game or for intermediate players to practice, but if you're advanced you probably won't get much out of the experience here.

As a tennis player, discs repeatedly hitting the fence right next to me or possibly flying onto the court on hole 3 would get really annoying.

This park seemed to have a lot of land that would have been great for disc golf from what I saw, it's a shame that more of this land is not allotted for it.

nice short course.

1    6/21/2014   6/21/2014
Review By: t55dude
Pros: Lots of ace runs and birdie chances. Great course for beginners and kids. Great use of such a small area. Lots of shots to use. Uphill, downhill, flat.the way they use the tennis courts and natural landscape to add difficulty to the course is genius.
Cons: It is short and unless you are bringing your kids to play, it probably will not get used as much as it should. My biggest problem was hole nine. I loved the layout, however I left my first shot left and under the tree on the hill to the pool. The ground there is soaked and very slick. After my shot from the tree I ended up on my backside covered in mud. So lesson learned, don't go left, if you do be careful!!
Other Thoughts: Two discs are all you need. So it is a great course if you want to work on approach shots and putting. My wife and 12 year old daughter love it. They do not have great distance to their throws so this course allowed them par opportunities with every hole.

New 9-hole course is good for beginners... Perfect for approach practice.

2-4    6/11/2014   6/13/2014
Review By: phantom51
Pros: Here's my review for each basket:

#1 - Short hyzer or anhyzer near the tree places you well in putting range.

#2 - Nice downhill shot. The two trees in front of tee force your angle.

#3 - Probably my favorite tee. I like the concrete steps leading you up the hill to the tee.

#4 - A short walk across the bridge from the #3 basket takes you to a short technical shot through some tall thin trees. Choose your line and land in the open field for a good birdie chance.

#5 - A tall tree blocks the basket, but easy to hit if you angle your shot just right. I bounced off the top of basket on first attempt.

#6 - Just about a repeat of #4, just heading back towards bridge across creek which takes you to...

#7 - This is a scenic shot. The hill from #2, an open fairway, trees and the creek to your left with a small slope guarding the #8 tee to the left as well. Woods behind basket can fool you into not wanting to drive too hard towards basket.

#8 - Repeat of #7, just to the left of same fairway.

#9 - Walk up the steep pathway from #8 basket and take a short walk to the left when you reach the top. Tee is inside the wooded clearing, throwing out of the woods towards the Aquatic Center and #1 tee. Basket is the most scenic with stone barrier, evergreens and mulch. Aim for the closest tree on the hill to the basket and putt for birdie!
Cons: Short, short, and again... Short. Yet, with the land available, it works great. I'd recommend this easily to beginners. Whereas the park may get crowded at times, this seems to be a minor inconvenience than annoyance. Most people I ran into were curious as to what I was doing and were intrigued by the game.
I offered one jogger a chance to throw, which was amusing in and of itself.

My only dislike, was the erosion and mud near #3. I hope the Park can find a way to divert the run off better. Either that, or create a water hazard!
Other Thoughts: The course just opened this month, I believe. The City of Lenexa advertises it as the 'course is geared towards families and youth and provides a short course not found in the metro area.'

Well, there are many short 9-hole courses in the Kansas City metro area. In Lenexa? No. However, since Shawnee Mission Park is right down the road (I always thought the park existed in Lenexa), I guess this is Lenexa's only short course.

Anyways, the course plays through a light to moderately wooded area to the east of the Aquatic Center. Each hole layout is under 200ft for the most part. I remember #8 being the only one over 200 in one of the alternative pin locations.

I played this course early in morning, as Parks & Rec were finishing mowing the area. The course was kept quite clean. Several people were walking the trail that cuts through portions of the course, but they were polite and observant enough not to interfere with play. I also saw some footprints in the mud near the steps to the #3 tee. I am hoping that was an indicator that the course is being used and others are finding out about it.

Last, for it being what it is, a short family friendly course, the City of Lenexa did a fine job with creating an used area into something worth introducing people to the sport of disc golf. I'm happy to see the effort and the course is scenic enough to attract newer players. I, for one, hope to see new players out there... And a few experienced ones as well!