Layout Extinct

Hastings, MN
C.P. Adams Park - Old Layout Share
Uploaded By: lapants Hole #11 (Taken 4/2011)

Could be Better, but Challenging

5+    6/14/2012   12/18/2012
Review By: ajkuck
This review was updated on 12/20/2012
Pros: The course has a variety of holes both in the woods and outside of them. The course is also long and provides some challenging lanes to hit in the woods, but can be a great course to challenge yourself. The majority of the holes have relatively open fairways, with large trees to contend with, which allows for several different lanes to shoot at. Holes 13 and 14 have the most trees to contend with. There is also some nice elevation change, especially on hole 13. The course reminds of a longer version of Oakwood, with slightly less elevation change, less woods, and more open fairways.
Cons: Overall, the maintenance of the course is okay, but could definitely improve. There are a lack of signs, which can make it quite challenging to navigate if you are a newcomer. There is also some trash and brush in the woods that cold use some clean up.
Other Thoughts: The course has seen some improvements over the past couple years, most notably, the retaining wall and stairs on hole 8. Just like Oakwood, if the course was pay to play, it could be greatly improved and I would gladly rate it a 4.0, but if you're looking for a challenge, get out and play it.

Love the Long Tees

5+    11/5/2012   11/5/2012
Review By: 1_Nation_Under_Par
Pros: Free, close to the twins cities. 18 Holes with dual tees. The long tees will test even the biggest arms, the short tees are challenging for beginners. Some nice wooded holes, some holes with good elevation change. Empty in the mornings besides people walking dogs in the park.
Cons: Lack of signage. Trash in the parking lot (although the course is generally well kept besides some broken glass in spots brought to you by Hastings' finest). Can be very busy/crowded on nice days. Some extremely open, extremely flat, extremely long boring holes.
Other Thoughts: Overall, an above average course with its fair share of challenges. A must play if you live within 30-45 minutes.

Good but could be better

1    10/7/2012   10/6/2012
Review By: jasbo11
Pros: Nice tee pads and baskets. Good layout. Some good elevation change but alot of straight wide open holes. Dual tee pads with dramatic distance change.
Cons: What can i say NO signs, so we had no idea where the course started or what any of the pars were. There was a course map but it was almost worthless. Once we found the tee pads we still had no idea pars or where the baskets were.
Other Thoughts: Improved signage would make this an exceilent course. The lack of sings made this course difficult to navigate and not a fun as I was hoping.

Beginner/Intermediate

1    7/25/2012   9/9/2012
Review By: notapro
Pros: - Course is set in a decent sized park, seems to be almost abandoned with broken roads. Can't imagine there is much else going on here, ever, except for maybe a random dog walker or something. Interference shouldn't be an issue.
- Some interesting shots in the wooded/forested sections of the course, starting with #1. From the long tee, a clump of trees dead ahead forces a straight/RHBH flex shot through a tight gap on the left. #8 is a pretty sharp, blind anny shot through the woods, with the pin either uphill or on a built up green. #13 has two very different shots from the two pads; the short tee is a HEAVILY wooded cliff hyzer, while the long is a very, very tight downhill tunnel shot. Both are pretty unique shots. #14 comes back uphill, offering a sharp flick/anny shot or a sneaky hyzer.
- Other holes aren't directly in the woods, but have enough rough/trees to make things tough. #7, for instance, is an open valley shot that slopes right, with a gap into the woods about halfway on the hole. The basket is tucked right in these woods, with the slope to the right of the pin. #10 is another bomber, straight ahead from the long tee, with the basket behind a large clump of rough. It's possible to go left or right for the approach shot, though the left side is probably easier. #12 is also tough, with bushes directly off the tee, with trees on the left side of the fairway and nasty sloping woods on the right.
- Most of the other holes are a lot more open, with large, mature trees to force shot shaping. Low branches to force low shots, big leafy trees to force very wide hyzers or anhyzers, pins located under or behind trees, very few are wide open. Tees and pins are placed well to make things interesting.
- Pretty good elevation changes here, or at least a good amount. #13 and #14 are the most extreme, a lot of others are more gradual. A lot of holes in the open are sloped, like uphills on #5, #6, #9, and #16, and downhills on #4, #15, #17, and #18. Definitely helps to add character to some simpler holes.
- Some tricky basket positions also help add some challenge, like the slope behind #7, and the elevated/sloping pin placements on #8 and #14. Other baskets are behind or under trees, like #2, #6, #9, #11, and #15.
- Teepads and baskets are in good shape. Tee signs, not so good. A lot of the placards are worn down to blank, so the only help are spray painted numbers on the pad(s). Having the map is crucial to navigate the course successfully, no joke.
Cons: - A lot of holes are pretty open here, with a handful of trees to worry about. Still tough, but kind of repetitive after a little bit.
- A few layout things. The teepads and fairways of #3, #4, and #5 are kind of close to each other. Errant shots could easily reach the other holes, just something to look out for. Also, a ton of pavement from the road that runs through the park, just an unsightly part of the course.
- Some bad erosion issues on #13 and #14, might become a serious problem in the near future. That'd be a shame.
Other Thoughts: - All in all, a fun course that has a pretty even mix of holes in and out of some woods. The wooded shots are pretty fun and have interesting lines, a few longer holes might force a lay-up for bigger arms even, and there are plenty of chances to air out some longer shots. The two sets of tees are worlds apart, with the short's average at 224' and the long's average at 345'! Good for beginners and intermediate players, respectively, more advanced players might find a lot of the course a little too straightforward.
- Where was #14's long pad? That drove me crazy!

Definitely top 10 in the state

1    6/8/2012   6/8/2012
Review By: Goosefraba
Pros: Great variety:
*Open holes
*Wooded holes
*Major elevation changes (see #14)
*Excellent use of trees on the open holes
Flows pretty good for the most part
Dual tees for all experience levels
Begins and ends at the parking lot
Great unique holes for #13 and #14
Cons: Tees aren't marked well, fortunately I had a map that helped.
Not enough garbages, but liter wasn't too bad.
Other Thoughts: Only thing that really could have made this a 10, other than the Cons, somehow include a hole with water.

Long course

1    4/4/2012   4/4/2012
Review By: Grape Drank
Pros:
- Dual tees
- Lots of shot shaping
- Strong mix of open field and hardwoods
Cons:
- Could be very confusing
- Not very many trash cans
- Lots of broken glass
- Heavy traffic
Other Thoughts: Played with a friend who knows the course very well, which was really nice because the layout is pretty confusing. There are multiple tees for each hole, but there are no signs and it's not obvious which tee goes to which basket.

Seemed like the trash cans were only set-up close to the road. As a result there is a lot of garbage and broken glass around the back holes. Couple large ravines that an errant toss could roll down, by the highway. There was also a lot of traffic. Most of them seemed lost, and we pointed a few onto the right path.-

Great course - needs signage

1    8/19/2011   8/23/2011
Review By: Michler
Pros: I played C.P. Adams at the end of a 4 course day, so I was a bit fatigued entering the round. I played the long tees for the most part. Right off the bat on Hole 1 I realized this wasn't going to be an easy finish to the day. The course features many tight fairways and some schule that will punish errant drives. Mostly par 3 golf, I think there were 2 legitimate par 4's. Nice cement teepads and Mach V baskets were in good condition. There are about 5 holes in some heavy woods, 2 of which are long demanding holes, with the rest being midrange or putter shots. Holes 13 and 14 play down and back up a heavily wooded ravine, very unique. About 4 holes that are longer and pretty open. About 9 holes that have moderate trees, but no heavy rough and vary from 250-350. A good mix of hyzer and anhyzer shots and some opportunities for rollers. This isn't a deuce or die type course. I'd estimate that an even par 54 round from the long tees would rate around 940.
Cons: The lack of tee signs makes the course extremely frustrating to play. We spent alot of time searching for tees, asking others where to go, and trying to figure out the general flow of the course. Most of the tees had nothing to indicate what hole you were on. Some had a small wooden post with the hole # and long/short distances. Extremely easy to miss 13 and 14 which play down into a ravine where you wouldn't ever know there were baskets unless someone had told you (luckily someone saw us playing the wrong direction).
Other Thoughts: This course would be much more friendly to play if there were tee signs and some arrows pointing the direction to the next tee. Overall, a good course, but bring a map if you are playing for the first time. I give it a 3.5 for the actual course, and the knowledge that if I played it a few times I'd find it pretty fun. The first time I played it, it felt more like a 2.5-3.0 because of the frustration of not knowing where to go.

One of Minnesota's finest

5+    3/27/2011   3/29/2011
Review By: Scttwlsh80
Pros: This is real golf course that requires thoughtful shot construction in order to get to the pin - not an 18 hole track of drive and putt. From the long tees, you will find a great mixture of hole types (open hyzers, gaps that you have to hit from 300' out, long S curved fairways, and challenging elevation) and distance. With it a solid 30 mins from the metro, I haven't found the park too busy with either golfers or non golfers. It is worth the drive - One of my favorites.
Cons: If you come unprepared, the layout can be a little confusing. The short and long tees are VERY different and the holes aren't well marked with layout or distance. But that shouldn't matter because if you are reading this - you should prepare for a great time. You can find the course layout on line. C.P. Adams is one of the best.

5+    8/19/2010   2/9/2011
Review By: JoshEpoo
Pros: CP Adams is a nice advanced level course.

It has nice tee pads and baskets.

From the long tees, it has a few 500'+ bombers and a lot of technical shots in the 275-400' range. There are quite a few possible birdies, but only 2 holes shorter than 250'. You need power to card 2's.

CP is a pretty park with many different kinds of huge old trees and lush vegetation.

It features some treacherous elevation change, but only on a couple holes.

Light to moderate traffic. It's not the busiest course, but it's one of the better ones.

The course has a satisfying mix of challenges, even for top level players.
Cons: Caution is recommended while navigating the wide open holes. It's easy to see where the disc that might hit you is coming from, but you have to watch out for discs flying at you from the adjacent holes.

My other problems with the course don't relate to the quality of disc golf it offers and are pretty minor.

The course isn't easy to navigate and doesn't have much signage. Print a map with distances if you want to be prepared.

The parking lot sucks. But, you can still park more than enough cars in it for regular usage. It get's a bit out of hand during tournaments and leagues.
Other Thoughts: CP Adams is one of the best free courses around. It requires distance and control. It's never particularly difficult to find your disc or extremely punishing so it's easy to recommend to almost anyone. However, it's best suited for advanced players with some power.

Winter snow must hide the flaws!

1    12/20/2009   12/25/2009
Pros: 1) Posts are #'d by each tee for easy navigation. Distances are on some of the posts (but because they used sticky #'s some have fallen off).

2) Dual concrete tees are an awesome thing to have on a course. Short tees are shovelled in winter which is also an added bonus.

3) Very well designed course taking all of the best features of the park into play. The variety is top notch, there are some open holes with no obstacles and generally a little longer, there are some holes with somewhat protected baskets that are tucked up near the woods, there are some holes int he deep woods, there are some rolling hills on a few holes and one hole with a steep dropoff and another with a steep incline. The balance just makes this course one of the better courses I have played in that regard.

4) Course is pretty beginner friendly because it is mostly either open or moderately wooded (with spotty tree placement). There are only those two holes in the woods that I would call heavily wooded and a lot of challenge for the beginner.

5) I can only imagine how much of a challenge the long tees would be, I wish I could have seen where they were but because they werent shovelled I was unable to see them, but the holes are much longer in most instances from the back tees.

6) Stairways on those wooded hilly holes are well done. I cannot see if there is erosion around them, but they looked well placed, and also well constructed. I suppose the erosion would happen there anyways as it looks to be a major fallaway to the river, but as little erosiona nd compaction as we can cause in tha situation the better.

7) Highlight holes on this course that really give it some punch and some fun factor: #7 long hole with flagpole mando, #8 Slight uphill/sidehill in tight wooded area, #13 dramatic throw off hill down into wooded area, #14 dramatic anhyzer in tight woods up a big hill requiring a cannon to make it all the way up. The other holes are simply all pretty well done. Perhaps it is the winter layout from the shorts that is well designed because I just felt like every hole was well done, the basket was reachable, but you had to be decisive in your throw. Some people have said horrible layout, some have said poorly designed, I feel this was totally the opposite!

8) All holes have been named, although silly and cheesy I think ti shows some creativity. Now if this map on this site was posted at the course that would be best!
Cons: 1) Parking lot was not plowed 10 days after 10" of snow fell. Not sure why they wouldnt plow the lot, but it was a little dicey because there were already about 8 cars there so I had to venture off into the deepest of the snow and had I slide sideways during the process I may not have gotten out.

2) No course map at the course (but fortunately there is one here, print it out and navigate easily. Course is easier to navigate for the first time in winer because of snow tracks, and there are a few holes I could see a first timer getting lost in summer maybe.

3) #14 really could have used some sort of catwalk system to get up that hill. In winter it was slick and tough to walk up the sidehill.

4) Course crosses paths on at least 5 occassions and come close to the road on the last 2 holes. This could be a safety issue, but also a flow interrupter because if there are a lot of people walking the path through the park, you would have to wait a long time on a couple holes that run along and not simply across the paths.

5) I wish the longs had been shovelled in winter as I would have played a second round there I just wasn't sure where to find them all. That would have given me true perspective on playing this course completely, because I have a feeling some of the complaints on the other reviews are from the perspective of the other tees. A lot of times, the longs are an afterthought, and it can make the flow and feel of the course suffer. I will make a point to get back there sometime this summer maybe.

6) I am not sure if I was just on my game (which I did play well) but the course seems harder than my score. I shot a 48 (-6) from the shorts my first time ever playing the course and I had a bunch of 2 putt 3's. I didn't bogey once, so either I was completely on my game or it was too easy. That is why I need to play the longs. I did play great for sure, I executed drives like I wanted and I avoided the trouble when it was there, so I think I played a pretty good round, I guess it just surprises me that I shot a -6 the first time out there. I t did help nailing about 125' from 15' short of the flagpole mando on #7. That is by far the longest shot I have ever made.

7) Tee signs would be better and improved, but having the distances in something more permanent would also help out greatly. I didnt even know there were alt. basket locations.

8) Benches and garbage are somewhat lacking. Always features I like to see on a course to keep it clean and just have a place to site down on ocassion.
Other Thoughts: All in all I felt like this was a great course. It flowed well (from the shorts) had well designed holes set on a property with all sorts of variety. All shots were needed and the challenge seemed to be there on every hole, except the few out in the open. The shovelling of the pads in winter is a cool addition for this course. I just had a lot of fun, sure I played great (-6) but I felt like I executed well to shoot that score, I didnt feel like it was just a simply laid out course. There aren't many courses where I would shoot -6, and this is by far the longest course I have ever shot that score.

Perhaps some of the complaints of other reviewers were about an old layout, perhaps they were the long tees, I just didnt see it in this place and time when I played the course. I will be back in summer and I will be back to play the longs and then I will have a better understanding of this course.

WARNING: This review was written after playing in the winter. I am unable to comment on course and turf conditioning because of the 10" of snow on the ground. I have made assumptions in a few places, and also looked at what others have said about the course conditions too. If anything I have stated is incorrect or inaccurate, please let me know so I can edit my review.