High Point, NC
Johnson Street Park Share
Uploaded By: Plankeye Hole #2 (Taken 7/2010)

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Great mix, great course!

1    2/21/2008   3/21/2014
Review By: luckypeak
Pros: - Great flow
- challenging
- Good mix of shots
- Course was clean
Cons: -pro tees are challenging, but i see that as a pro.
Other Thoughts: One of the first courses i played when i started playing back in 1998. Great course.

Now That's a Mix

1    11/16/2013   11/20/2013
Review By: reposado
Pros: Johnson Street really does provide some of everything. It's got wooded holes, with tight but not overly tight fairways and it has some open holes, where the big dogs will get a chance to eat. It's got some shorter holes, (200 feet) where shots will need to be placed carefully, and its got longer holes, (450 feet) so it's possible to bomb on a few tees. It's got sharp climbs, gradual descents and even a few flat ones. It's got holes that finish to the left, to the right and one (15) that can be played either way. It's got tunnel shots, blind throws and a few that pass over a creek. And that's just for the blue tees.

Before I get more specific, I should say that the three sets of tees at Johnson Street are among the best at providing three sets of difficulties that I have seen. I played the blues and while those made for a great round, I could see other players preferring the options here. The white tees, from what I saw, looked very easy. Much easier lines. Much better ace opportunities. They're probably a lot of fun. The gold tees, meanwhile, looked very challenging. Playing from appropriate tees, players of almost any ability could enjoy this course. At the same time, it provides a ton of variety for locals.

But back to the blue layout, which i found to be chock full of interesting lines and fairways. It starts out with a long open run across a well-kept meadow. Then bam, a tight, 280-foot funnel shot with a slightly-rightward finish. From there is to continues to mix up open holes with tightly-wooded ones and some that have a bit of both. It flows very well between the different types and it's just a nice variety that makes for a solid round.

My favorite hole, other than the tunnel on 2, is 12. Players descend from the 11 basket to the bed of a creek. (for both blue and gold) The water bubbles past as the golfer tees of up, over the creek as it bends away to the right and then up a sharp incline and around a grove of tees to a basket that is only 234 feet away, but plays much longer.

I also like how on many of the holes the difficulty comes from a narrow gap somewhere in the fairway. The whole fairway isn't as tight as sections of it. (Not that this is something I love in general, but it's a nice change-up from many area courses that feature mostly consistent fairway width.) All in all, a solid course that I'd like to get back to and have a try at the other sets of tees.
Cons: The main thing that I didn't like is the hole(14) that goes by the electrical equipment. There is a mando informing you to go around it but my disc is unfortunately illiterate and once its left my hand, its out of my control. It probably doesn't affect too many rounds but it not something I like to think about on the course.

That also ties somewhat into the atmosphere being not great. It's not a bad area or anything but in many ways the park shows its age. It's not out of the way, really and roads are somewhat close to some of the holes. Not to the point where they affect play but the course doesn't have the wilderness feel that many in the state do.

Still wonderful, but now even better.

5+    8/9/2013   8/9/2013
Review By: Tenacious EJ
Pros: -Good mix of open and wooded holes
-Nice elevation changes
-Excellent course that requires skill at tight fairways, turns both right and left, and the need for a powerful arm.
-Beautiful new signage, tee pads, and extra benches
Cons: -Can get damp
-One of the busiest courses around
-The difficulty curve between the blue and white tees is very high
-Hole 14 has been ruined, where once it was one of the coolest holes in disc golf
-The fairways can come very close together and come into play with each other due to errant shots off of thick trees
Other Thoughts: I first played Johnson St on a cold, snowy, Winter day in December 1993. Since then, it has undergone few changes, but most of them have been vast improvements. Without question its the most technically challenging course in the area. It has white, blue, and gold tees which allows for varying levels of play, which is always appreciated, but I feel like some of the blue tees are closer to gold throws (hole 10 especially) and as a result it seems there is a very high jump in difficulty from white to blue. One of the most difficult aspects of Johnson St is that due to the elevation changes, even the shorter holes feel long. Add in a fairly wooded course and you've got a really tough course. When it gets busy, as it does on weekends between March and November, you'll be sitting between holes, so if you're the type of golfer whose arm gets cold quickly when you have to wait on others, expect this to factor into your play. Thankfully, due to a recent number of course improvements by the Oak Hollow Disc Golfers, there are additional benches for those forced to wait. Speaking of improvements, the new tee signs are beautiful. In fact, the whole course is beautiful, its just too bad that so many people abuse the course- the trash left around this course is unacceptable, and the graffiti left on the picnic tables, the benches, and on the shelter itself is vulgar and unnecessary (really?!? throwing away a can of coke under the first basket?). Many of the golfers here must have missed the fact that many holes have dedicated trash cans. It doesn't make the golfing any worse, but its a shame that littering is so common in our sport.

As I said, there are a fair amount of wooded holes. Since there hasn't been much change besides hole 14 in 20+ years, most have been worn down by foot traffic so heavy underbrush isn't really an issue. However, as many of the holes are quite close together, there is a definite possibility of finding the neighboring fairway after bouncing off one of the many large, beautiful trees of the course.

Hole 14. It once required a strong arm and a spectacular throw under a large powerline tower. Now there is a mando on the near side and the hole was shortened considerably. It was a signature hole, now its a simple one.

All in all, Johnson St is one of the nicest walks around. Its really beautiful, challenging, and fun, and if you're travelling through its definitely not the course to pass up.

2-4    9/15/2012   9/15/2012
Review By: der Turkey Vulture
Pros: -White, Blue, & Gold tee boxes give lots of playing options. Furthermore, they're well marked and each is concrete.
-Strong mix of open and wooded holes.
-DG dedicated park so everyone is there for the same purpose
-Well manicured lawn area, particularly reflected on holes 1, 5, 6 & 9
-Reasonable elevation changes
-In town, but accessible quickly by highway
Cons: -The tee markers are laminated paper and starting to show weather damage
Other Thoughts: Though a bit of a drive, this is my favorite 'local' course. It's got some challenging, tight demands off the tee on multiple holes and almost as many open and forgiving holes.
What makes this significantly better for me is the detail taken on keeping it looking sharp. It's a beautiful area and manicured to keep it so. Glad to see a dedicated park in the area, maintained by the county and looking so good.
The only drawback for me is the tee markers really don't do justice given the calibre of everything else.
Still, a pleasure to play.

Solid Course

1    4/28/2009   7/23/2012
Review By: timbur3
Pros: Nice concrete tee pads and great baskets. The course was very well kept up. Not many long holes but making them go through the woods made them challenging
Cons: The one hole was underneath a huge powerline which was kinda scary but otherwise not much to complain about except some of the signs are gone.
Other Thoughts: Great challenging course. If you are nearby I would recommend anyone play it.

5+    6/21/2012   6/22/2012
Review By: SkipAce
Pros: Like the layout with optional pads.
You can make this a easy or difficult course.
Great group of local players.
Cons: Signs have been missing on most holes for over a year. Trash cans are always full. The new benches are nice but some are in flight path.
Other Thoughts: We should add a sign up sheet for work days. Have several chores that local players can sign up to do. If just a few people pitched in every week we could turn this into a nicer place to throw.

An oldy but goody

1    5/19/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Perhaps the most obvious plus to this course is its nice blending of hole types. You go in and out the woods seemlessly and the course has a really good flow. It also does a nice job of mixing up hole lengths as well as offering multiple teepads for different skill levels.

The course does an okay job of forcing different shots, it won't test every shot in your bag. There are a lot of holes where throwing straight and accurate is pretty much all it takes, especially from the gold tees which uses tight early gaps to create most of the difficulty.

Equipment - The teepads are nice and large, plus flush with the ground. When there were signs still on the post they were very informative and easy to understand.

Atmosphere - The course is just there for disc golf from what I could tell so it's just you and other discers out there, always a plus. The course flowed really well and it was easy to tell where you were going next.
Cons: Layout - The course only does an okay job of forcing different throws. It would be nice if the multiple pads created much different holes but essentially the golds were made hard by sticking you behind a tight gap at the beginning. Most of the fairways are gap hitting types and a lot of holes only had one route.

The green designs aren't the best, the baskets aren't in positions that really make your accuracy on approach key. There's also not very much risk/reward within the course, you either hit the gap or you don't. Not a lot of elevation change on the course either,

Equipment - Baskets are old and should probably be updated. Most of the signs were ripped down and thus it was hard to find the gold tee in some situations; sometimes I couldn't find it or tell if I was on the gold or blue.

Atmosphere - The park is older and not the most pristine place you'll ever go. It wasn't dirty but you can tell it's aged. There's not really one hole you can look at and say this is the signature hole.
Other Thoughts: My plan was to play this course twice, once from both blue and gold. After I was done playing I didn't really feel like playing it again. I enjoyed it but it's nothing so spectactular that you have to come back.

I changed my mind

5+    6/3/2012   4/15/2012
Review By: keltik
This review was updated on 6/8/2012
Pros: - Easy to navigate (path to next hole easy to see)
- Good challenge
- Good mix of shots (left, right, straight, woods to open, open to tunnels/woods, elevation changes)
- Course was clean/not a lot of litter
- Good mix of distance (I think, see cons)
- Benches and trash cans available at a few holes
Cons: - Majority of holes only have sign posts and no signs (I think I only saw maybe 4 actual signs)
- baskets hard to see (Mach III's are hard to see in the woods) and with no signage hard to locate on some holes
- Some of the teepads seemed really short
- No onsite water or bathrooms
- Gold tees are difficult to locate
- Park is very crowded and most people play the short tees (more in other thoughts)
Other Thoughts: !!!UPDATE!!!: I changed my mind about this course. It is almost too crowded. I've played this course numerous times and it can be a pain. I generally like to play the longer tees but I'm starting to think I'm the only person in town that does. Every time I play I end up sandwiched between foursomes playing the white/short tees. On this course a foursome can run up your rear in a hurry if they are playing white and you are playing blue. If I'm in front of a group playing white I feel hurried and that is not an enjoyable experience. I play to challenge myself and to have fun but this course being so crowded tends to take the fun out of it for me. I may have to start playing early in the morning and see how that goes. Also the Gold tees are insane and really difficult to find. But I dropped a whole disc off of my review for the crowdedness (am I anti-social?)

This is a very popular course and fairly busy. It is a DG only park (I think), I didn't see any walkers/joggers/bikers.

I did enjoy the course even though this was my first time through. It was a fun challenge. Many holes have tight gaps to hit from the Blue layout (which I played).I guess it is now my home course since I live 5 minutes away.

I was peeved about the lack of signage but I guess that will force me to throw the shot and not the distance. But I do like to know where the basket is but I guess I'll learn the locations with time. Lack of onsite water or bathrooms can get messy. I usually try to bring plenty of water of my own anyway.

Hole 18 has two baskets and that was confusing at the end of the round.

Overall it's a really nice course. The locals/usuals there were friendly and one group was kind enough to let me play through and at the same time filled me in on league/doubles schedule.

Great Mix - Must Play

1    3/28/2012   3/29/2012
Review By: grhomes
Pros: Wide variety of shots: hyzers and annies*(sp?) both up and down. Great mix of uphill and downhill, wooded and open. Risk and reward shots. Mando hole as well. Very well designed, optimal and efficient layout (holes 9 and 18 finish near each other, next to where 1 tee pad/parking lot are. Three sets of pads all concrete (huge bonus for that)
Cons: I played from the blues (middle pads, probably considered the pro pad). The golds are the insane pads, which is alright I guess, but from looking at the basket from each gold tee (some holes share blue/gold) there were a few standalone gold pads that weren't even remotely realistic. Also the blue pad on 1 seems to be a nuisance for those waiting to play from whites (because they are going to have to get out of the way) and the shelter at 1 could feasibly be in play as well. Signage was well done, where there were still signs (maybe 8 holes total with signs?)
Other Thoughts: Very nice people in the groups ahead and behind me, those in front allowed me to play through, and when I had trouble finding a disc the group behind me understood and had no problem playing down while I searched. The course was also pretty easy to find, and the holes weren't difficult to locate from one to the other.

A Perfect Mix

5+    2/28/2012   2/29/2012
Review By: kvillegreek
This review was updated on 3/6/2012
Pros: - Perfect mix of open, wooded, up hill, down hill, and length
- Well maintained
- Challengening enough for all skill types
Cons: - Hole 18 should be a par 4 from the whites
- Can be very crowded
Other Thoughts: I would consider this my home course. I've played it many times and each time it's very enjoyable. The beauty of this course is it never gets old.

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5