High Point, NC
Johnson Street Park Share
Uploaded By: axl_rose Hole #5 (Taken 7/2009)
Hole #5 Blue Tee

An oldy but goody

1    5/19/2012   5/20/2012
Review By: New013
Pros: Layout - Perhaps the most obvious plus to this course is its nice blending of hole types. You go in and out the woods seemlessly and the course has a really good flow. It also does a nice job of mixing up hole lengths as well as offering multiple teepads for different skill levels.

The course does an okay job of forcing different shots, it won't test every shot in your bag. There are a lot of holes where throwing straight and accurate is pretty much all it takes, especially from the gold tees which uses tight early gaps to create most of the difficulty.

Equipment - The teepads are nice and large, plus flush with the ground. When there were signs still on the post they were very informative and easy to understand.

Atmosphere - The course is just there for disc golf from what I could tell so it's just you and other discers out there, always a plus. The course flowed really well and it was easy to tell where you were going next.
Cons: Layout - The course only does an okay job of forcing different throws. It would be nice if the multiple pads created much different holes but essentially the golds were made hard by sticking you behind a tight gap at the beginning. Most of the fairways are gap hitting types and a lot of holes only had one route.

The green designs aren't the best, the baskets aren't in positions that really make your accuracy on approach key. There's also not very much risk/reward within the course, you either hit the gap or you don't. Not a lot of elevation change on the course either,

Equipment - Baskets are old and should probably be updated. Most of the signs were ripped down and thus it was hard to find the gold tee in some situations; sometimes I couldn't find it or tell if I was on the gold or blue.

Atmosphere - The park is older and not the most pristine place you'll ever go. It wasn't dirty but you can tell it's aged. There's not really one hole you can look at and say this is the signature hole.
Other Thoughts: My plan was to play this course twice, once from both blue and gold. After I was done playing I didn't really feel like playing it again. I enjoyed it but it's nothing so spectactular that you have to come back.

I changed my mind

5+    6/3/2012   4/15/2012
Review By: keltik
This review was updated on 6/8/2012
Pros: - Easy to navigate (path to next hole easy to see)
- Good challenge
- Good mix of shots (left, right, straight, woods to open, open to tunnels/woods, elevation changes)
- Course was clean/not a lot of litter
- Good mix of distance (I think, see cons)
- Benches and trash cans available at a few holes
Cons: - Majority of holes only have sign posts and no signs (I think I only saw maybe 4 actual signs)
- baskets hard to see (Mach III's are hard to see in the woods) and with no signage hard to locate on some holes
- Some of the teepads seemed really short
- No onsite water or bathrooms
- Gold tees are difficult to locate
- Park is very crowded and most people play the short tees (more in other thoughts)
Other Thoughts: !!!UPDATE!!!: I changed my mind about this course. It is almost too crowded. I've played this course numerous times and it can be a pain. I generally like to play the longer tees but I'm starting to think I'm the only person in town that does. Every time I play I end up sandwiched between foursomes playing the white/short tees. On this course a foursome can run up your rear in a hurry if they are playing white and you are playing blue. If I'm in front of a group playing white I feel hurried and that is not an enjoyable experience. I play to challenge myself and to have fun but this course being so crowded tends to take the fun out of it for me. I may have to start playing early in the morning and see how that goes. Also the Gold tees are insane and really difficult to find. But I dropped a whole disc off of my review for the crowdedness (am I anti-social?)

This is a very popular course and fairly busy. It is a DG only park (I think), I didn't see any walkers/joggers/bikers.

I did enjoy the course even though this was my first time through. It was a fun challenge. Many holes have tight gaps to hit from the Blue layout (which I played).I guess it is now my home course since I live 5 minutes away.

I was peeved about the lack of signage but I guess that will force me to throw the shot and not the distance. But I do like to know where the basket is but I guess I'll learn the locations with time. Lack of onsite water or bathrooms can get messy. I usually try to bring plenty of water of my own anyway.

Hole 18 has two baskets and that was confusing at the end of the round.

Overall it's a really nice course. The locals/usuals there were friendly and one group was kind enough to let me play through and at the same time filled me in on league/doubles schedule.

Great Mix - Must Play

1    3/28/2012   3/29/2012
Review By: grhomes
Pros: Wide variety of shots: hyzers and annies*(sp?) both up and down. Great mix of uphill and downhill, wooded and open. Risk and reward shots. Mando hole as well. Very well designed, optimal and efficient layout (holes 9 and 18 finish near each other, next to where 1 tee pad/parking lot are. Three sets of pads all concrete (huge bonus for that)
Cons: I played from the blues (middle pads, probably considered the pro pad). The golds are the insane pads, which is alright I guess, but from looking at the basket from each gold tee (some holes share blue/gold) there were a few standalone gold pads that weren't even remotely realistic. Also the blue pad on 1 seems to be a nuisance for those waiting to play from whites (because they are going to have to get out of the way) and the shelter at 1 could feasibly be in play as well. Signage was well done, where there were still signs (maybe 8 holes total with signs?)
Other Thoughts: Very nice people in the groups ahead and behind me, those in front allowed me to play through, and when I had trouble finding a disc the group behind me understood and had no problem playing down while I searched. The course was also pretty easy to find, and the holes weren't difficult to locate from one to the other.

A Perfect Mix

5+    2/28/2012   2/29/2012
Review By: kvillegreek
This review was updated on 3/6/2012
Pros: - Perfect mix of open, wooded, up hill, down hill, and length
- Well maintained
- Challengening enough for all skill types
Cons: - Hole 18 should be a par 4 from the whites
- Can be very crowded
Other Thoughts: I would consider this my home course. I've played it many times and each time it's very enjoyable. The beauty of this course is it never gets old.

Home Course

5+    8/25/2011   8/26/2011
Review By: NCSU2002
Pros: Good Mix of Short and Long, Right and Left,.
There are 3 tees, White has lots of Ace and Birdie Ops, Blue is a little farther with tougher angles, and the gold are long and tight right off the tee, sometimes with absurd angles and lines.
All these are nice, concrete tees--how often do you see that?? 3 tees per hole??
This course flows well, tees are easy to find
Markers on most holes reflecting distance and elevation
There are several baskets with a creek, road, or drop behind them which adds to challenge.
Cons: If you slip up a bit it is easy to loose a disc in the OB areas, water, power station, residential backyards.
Alot of the bridges, benches, and upkeep are a bit behind
No water onsite
I tend to spend a lot of time looking for my disc on a couple of the back 9 holes
There is alot of traffic at this course compared to most others and you will have to join up with 2-3 other people to keep pace with the other groups at busy times.
Other Thoughts: This is a great course, I really like this as a home course. They have weekly tournaments and lots of cool guys to play with

Best Course in the Triad

5+    7/14/2011   7/18/2011
Review By: avillion23
Pros: Three tee pads - White, Blue, and Gold - keep the course interesting to even those that play it weekly and/or daily. The park is well taken care of and clean, for the most part. Good mix of wooded and open holes. Hole distance markers and maps are located at the blue tee pads and give the distances from white, blue, and gold pads.
Cons: No water source on site.
Other Thoughts: This is my home course, so I am a bit partial. If you are looking for a quick round with some quality ace runs, play it from the white tees. If you are looking for a round where you need to use some distance shots, play from the blues. If you are looking for a real challenge with small windows off of the tee box, play the golds. This course has a little of everything for all different levels of players. Only things that would make this course better would be a water source on site and maybe updated baskets.

1    5/15/2011   6/3/2011
Review By: ckDiscItUp
Pros: Fun, not too terribly challenging, anyone can play it, every hole is either birdie or par-able. One of my faves.
Cons: Hole 18 is a killer...even the shorter hole. The 3 times i played that hole, each time i got a 4. hardest hole on the course.

High Point

1    3/19/2011   3/24/2011
Review By: BobStutts
Pros: A great use of tight shots through the woods and good use of Piedmont elevation. Also long shots available on 18 and a few other holes. Need to be able to curve both directions which is always good. No other activity except disc golf which is great. Good markings and plenty of benches.
Cons: A little erosion is making some of the pads capable of turning an ankle if stepping off. Other than that great.
Other Thoughts: It is a disc golf course only. Therefore the lack of amenities was of no consequence. There was a porta-john and a practice basket.

I went on a Saturday on my way home from Charlotte. There were around 8-10 groups playing. I was at least 40 years older than anyone on the course. If the young adults I met are typical of High Point someone is doing a great job of raising the next generation. What a pleasure to meet them.

As for finding the park when you turn off the highway it is a right turn just before the fire station. It does not have a big park sign.

1    2/21/2011   2/22/2011
Review By: jksenior
Pros: - Signs were good including distances from each pad and description when there was something different about the hole (i.e. different basket)
- Multiple tee pads provided a very diverse experience to accommodate all players and
- Great mix of open vs wooded holes
Cons: - Signs were located on the blue tee pads which sometimes required back-tracking to the gold tees (minor con)
- Tee pads could be longer, particularly for the open, bigger throw holes
Other Thoughts: Really enjoyed this course. I played the gold tees but also threw tee shots from the Blues. Provided a good change from one tee to the other.

5+    7/6/2010   7/15/2010
Review By: Plankeye
Pros: 1)Different layouts cater to the different skill level of players.

2)The transition from one hole's basket to the next hole's teepad is generally straight forward. The only two teepads that are hard to find from the previous hole's basket are Gold 7 and Gold 15.

3)This course only caters to disc golfers.

4)Teepads are a decent size for the shots that are required for this course. However the areas around the teepads coulld use some work(see cons).

5)Great mixture of open holes and tight wooded holes.

6)Different holes test different types of shots and several holes have different routes to the basket.
Cons: 1)The only amenities are a shelter and a port-a-potty.

2)The areas around some of the teepads are worn down from erosion. After a downpour, there are often puddles either behind or in front of the tee box.

3)Over the years, due to weather or casual players, many trees have fallen making several holes a lot easier.

4)Some of the benches need to be replaced or repaired
Other Thoughts: As mentioned earlier, this is a great course to test all of your disc golf skills.

The course just won a Innova Grant to have the signs replaced. This should probably be completed before mid August. The tee signs will include not only tee to basket distance but also elevation change, if any.

IMO, the most challenging holes are 11 and 15 Gold.

11 Gold is challenging as you have to make it through a gate of trees near the tee. I have seen many good players hit a tree early on this hole which causes them to scramble to save a 4, or if they are lucky a 3.

Gold is a downhill tunnel shot that eventually turns from left to right. What makes this hole difficult is just making it through the tunnel to a point where you can get up and down to save a 3. I have only heard of 1 or 2 guys make a 2 on this hole.