High Point, NC
Johnson Street Park Share
Uploaded By: Plankeye Hole #4 (Taken 7/2010)
Hole #4 White Tee

Well balanced

5+    11/13/2009   11/14/2009
Review By: AdamCaudle
This review was updated on 12/22/2009
Pros: - Good mix of wooded/open holes.
- Woods aren't too thick to get out of
- Three sets of tees
- Lot's of birdie chances from white and blue tee's
- About half of the holes are pretty good for ace runs
- Hole 9 comes back to the entrance
-Well layed out
- Very challenging from the gold tees.
Cons: - Not much elevation change
- Can get pretty swampy after heavy rain
- Can get crowded on afternoons and weekends.
Other Thoughts: I play this course about 2-3 days a week and it is a great course to practice all aspects of your game. There's a porta-john and a shelter at hole 1.

Edit: After playing gold tees a few times I have a much greater appreciation of this course. I've bumped it up to 4 discs because of this. Also, 9 gold plays from the blue tee to the short 18 basket around the corner behind the regular 9 basket. And 18 gold plays from the blue tee to the longest 18 basket.

Great Course

5+    9/20/2009   10/8/2009
Review By: hookonwavs
Pros: Great challenges for all experiences. There is alot of variety in the open and wooded holes.
Cons: Could use more upkeep and the basket at hole 15 is broken and has been broken for 3 to 4 months now.
Other Thoughts: This was the second course I played at since I started 2 years ago and I still consider it one of my favorites.

Johnson Street DGC

5+    7/7/2009   7/11/2009
Review By: aj4heels
Pros: This is one heck of a course, and it is the best (and by that I mean challenging and rewarding) course that I have played. It has 3 sets of tees which will challenge anyone. Also the course is only for disc golf so usually you don't have to fight off anyone or anything else. The baskets are all in good condition, and the grass and bushes are kept pretty tame. There is a nice shelter and picnic tables in the middle of the course if you need to take a break or want to pack a sandwich.
Cons: There are a lot of external things that make this course seem not quite as nice. There is no running water, although there is a porta john for a bathroom. There aren't many tee signs left standing so you should probably play from the whites your first time so you learn your way around. Some of the fairways don't handle water very well (7,8,11,17 basket) so just be aware of that.
Other Thoughts: Playing from the whites I say that you have a good look at birdie on every hole except maybe 9 and 18. The other 16 will give you good ace runs, and if you need a confidence booster then this should do the trick. Playing from the blues shooting 5-7 under is great, and taking no bogies would be great Some holes seem to play easier from the blue for me 16 & 18 esp. . Playing from the Golds a 54 is insane for most people, this layout will challenge anyone though so anyone who thinks that they are too good for their home course should shoot a round on the golds to be humbled. It's fairly hard to find some of the tees so try to play with someone who knows the golds if that's what you want to do. The first 5 are reasonable, then 6 won't give you a good look at the basket in any way. 7 Makes you hit 2 different gaps really well if you find that tee pad (it's back up 6's fairway on the far right) # 8 is nasty tight but a great hole. # 10 is very similar but plays a little easier. The backside will really test the big arms between numbers 13, 17, and 18. I would say 15 is for the big arms but that is a ridiculous hole from the gold, no other way to put it. If the course hadn't kicked you in the butt through the first 17 then just try to get a 3 on 18 gold. Some of the locals play the golds as a 60 which is much more accurate in my opinion.

Solid Course Plays Short

5+    7/2/2009   7/5/2009
Review By: axl_rose
Pros: Great mix of wooded and open shots

Centrally located in the Triad area

Plays short for 18 holes

All holes par 3
Cons: Always trash and litter around. It seems like the trash never gets emptied. Some times this makes the course look dirty and detracts from the playable experience.
Other Thoughts: I've been playing this course for well over five years and it still one of my favorites. Most holes can be had in par or one over even for new players. This course has even mix of open and tunnel shots. There are several shots that have a creek water hazard as well. As of late some improvements are being made with addition of wood chips on the fairway. I enjoy every hole on this course time and time again...the only thing that would make this a better course is if they could keep the litter picked up and prohibit alcohol.

johnson st park

5+    5/8/2009   5/9/2009
Review By: braxtynh
Pros: This course is the best i've played. it is my home course. it has triple tee locations (beginner, pro, and expert). it has excellent pin location and a variety of length. great variety of wooded and open holes. this course also has good hyzer and anhyzer paths to throw. this course is well designed.
Cons: there isn't much wrong with this course..

pleasant surprise

1    5/8/2009   5/8/2009
Review By: dobsonr
Pros: This course has a great mix of open and wooded holes. The course really seems to make a good use of space - the terrain is nicely varied and each hole is different from the next. Each hole has several tees which allow players of all skill levels to enjoy playing here. The course is easy to navigate without a map - each basket is right by the tee for the next hole.
Cons: There really aren't many cons to this course - it isn't the most interesting course in the world, but it's designed well and is enjoyable to play. If you're in the High Point area it is definitely worth checking out.
Other Thoughts: I played this course while in town for my sister's graduation. I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. The course is well-maintained, easy to find, easy to navigate, fun to play, and the locals were friendly - what more can you ask for?

A little bit of everything

5+    4/26/2009   4/29/2009
Review By: zbyrd
Pros: Johnson street is approachable for beginners and entertaining for intermediate and advanced players. There are three well maintained tees for each hole, with the golds being quite challenging. This course is solely dedicated to DG so it is easy to not be bothered. Many holes require the thrower to make a considerably narrow gap close to the tee, after which, the fairway opens up. This can be frustrating at times, but it mostly comes across as intelligent, challenging course design. The landscape is beautiful and it is hard to lose a disc here.
Cons: Many holes are short. There are lots of holes where you have to hit a gap off of the tee. Hardly any holes where you can bomb it if that's your thing. I understand it can get busy, but I've never had that experience.

B+ = Interesting and addicting

5+    4/14/2007   4/23/2009
Pros: What I personally like and how this course stacks up:
1) Holes with good risk/reward -- B+
2) Holes that have rewarding birdie opportunities -- A
3) More wooded than open - lots of variety of shots required caused by hole shape and topography -- A
4) Natural beauty (Appalachian beauty preferred) and seclusion -- B+
5) Multi-shot holes with defined landing zones, good risk/reward and multiple options to play them -- C
Other Thoughts: It's all about feeding the addiction, so I ranked this course subjectively based on my own "personal addiction factor". The grades above tell how well the course will draw me back to itself again and again and again. Since I have played a decent number of courses (115 18-hole, 50 9-hole as of early 2009), my hope is that players/explorers who have similar addiction tastes will find my ratings list helpful as they choose courses to play and explore.

Over time, I expect to fill some of my reviews in with more descriptive verbiage...if what I can add anything to what has already been written. For now, my list is more important to me than the verbiage of my reviews.

I fully expect others with different tastes/philosophies to disagree with me....that's the fun of things here. See my profile for my rating philosophy.

From a Johnson Park Regular

5+    3/6/2009   3/6/2009
Review By: JLKeip
This review was updated on 8/5/2011
Pros: Multiple tees offers a nice choice between challenging and relatively easy for beginners, makes it easy to have a competitive round against someone of different skill level.
Well maintained tee boxes
Often has 'greens' marked by a red circle.
Close to civilization
Recently added Tee signs are EXCELLENT
Park is 100% dedicated to disc golf.
Play flows very well
Cons: Can be very muddy, it doesn't recover quickly from inclement weather.
Easy to miss the entrance when looking for the course
Other Thoughts: Some of the gold tees (5, 7, 15 esp) border on ridiculous, but I like that. It's not clear, but the gold tee for hole 9 plays to the front hole on 18. Gold on 13 plays easier for me than blue 13. My first (and only, so far) ace came on blue 11.
Gold 7 fairway crosses the 6th hole fairway, be nice to, and aware of, others.

Absolute favorite park

5+    2/14/2009   2/19/2009
Review By: THORNBURG
Pros: This course is the funnest course i've ever played it doesn't matter what kind of day your having you always walk away a happy golfer. It's challenging but yet tuff
Cons: It's to far from my house i wish it was next door
Other Thoughts: My second ace i ever hit was hole 7 it rocked BUZZ